ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- DEC 2021

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well, we all continued to use the OCT thread through November, so I figured it's time to try something properly updated for a change. So, it's Sid vs McJesus tonight......Molinari is reporting the following on DK:
  • Jarry in the cage
  • 17 players (including Sid) took the optional morning skate; Boyle also skated after missing the game in Calgary.
  • Oil is #1 in the League on the PP (37.7%) and the Guins #1 on the PK (90.0%).....guess something has to give tonight.

263430322_10161122681018765_658688617069319626_n.jpg

Couple quick tidbits this morning, courtesy DK:
  • Pens last top (#2 in 2021) draft choice......U of Minnesota F Tristan Broz......has 2 points in 15 games this year as a 1st year FR (and was a healthy scratch the last two games)
  • Pens at Craps this Friday night will be televised on ESPN+/Hulu only

According to DK, Guentzel is being classified as week-to-week with an UBI.....Kapanen has been moved up from the 4th line to Sid's as his replacement.....Rusty stil isn't skating. KK is said to have admitted to DK that his play the last few games has been "terrible", though no details thus far as to why.

Rutherford to Vancouver as new President and interim GM......first thing that came to mind is whether he'd try and swing a deal with Hexy for Kapanen.

need another strong performance tonight against gibby
Your request was received. When you can win back to back games, that’s next level determination. I love the core makeup of what we are. It will be interesting to watch how that changes when 71 returns.

I don’t follow team news enough to know, so I will ask here. Did we shuffle assignments around during the off-season in terms of coaching? Reason I ask is the play of the PK. Whatever it is, the results of coaching or right mix of guys who can play and desire to play it is beyond expectation currently.

I don’t follow team news enough to know, so I will ask here. Did we shuffle assignments around during the off-season in terms of coaching? Reason I ask is the play of the PK. Whatever it is, the results of coaching or right mix of guys who can play and desire to play it is beyond expectation currently.

Pretty sure the only Staff change was Andy Chiodo becoming the goaltending coach, replacing Mike Buckley.......who I seem to recall was considered instrumental in Matt Murray's development both into a Cup winning goaltender and (depending to whom you talk) his ultimate demise.

Reactions: DocEER
Pretty sure the only Staff change was Andy Chiodo becoming the goaltending coach, replacing Mike Buckley.......who I seem to recall was considered instrumental in Matt Murray's development both into a Cup winning goaltender and (depending to whom you talk) his ultimate demise.
I saw where MM was in the AHL for Ottawa. I guess no one decided to take a chance on him. Talk about a major fall from where he was.

I saw where MM was in the AHL for Ottawa. I guess no one decided to take a chance on him. Talk about a major fall from where he was.

We were kicking this around when the news was coming down. Doc.......MM may continue to be a fairly serious question mark, but enough teams (like, say, Buffalo) would seem to have little to lose by bringing him in. Of course, he's currently got a $6.25 million AAV, which I'd guess is at least $3-4 million more/season than anyone would chance right now.

And worse, the Sens got his cheap season......a $4 million salary.....last year; his contract calls for salaries of $6 million (in 2021/22) to $7 million (in 2022/23) to $8 million (in 2023/24). So, unless some team loses maybe its top 4 goaltenders on the roster/in their system, he's going to be stuck in the minors until he turns things around (or else eventually get bought out, which I assume is pretty likely at some point).

Meanwhile, I just read he won his first game at Belleville last night; a 26-save, 3-2 win at Bridgeport. He lost his first start 3-1 to Manitoba, but is evidently expected to start again WED night. While I myself always wanted to see him hate losing/playing bad a little more seriously than he ever showed his last couple seasons in Pittsburgh, I absolutely want MM to get better and get back to the League (where it's said he could theoreticallly be back in Ottawa after Christmas).

I mean, no matter what becomes of him, none of us can take away his rings......nor for whom he won them.

Reactions: DocEER
PHN reporting that Jim Rutherford is thought to be talking to Pens Assistant GM Pat Allvin (and possibly ex-analytics guru Sam Ventura) about his current GM opening.

In a PC. JR evidently claimed to be talking to a lot of people about the opening.....both with and without GM experience.....and that it won't be a quick search. That may be true; though I myself can't see JR hiring a guy before he takes his own opportunity (or three) to adjust the roster......though, I also read he thought the Canucks didn't need a teardown.

In this same press conference, JR was asked about his signings of Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson. Said JJ was a great guy in the room but was "never accepted" from Day 1. JR said he uses analytics, but I got the impression this was more a "feel" deal than anything else; meanwhile, still hard for me to imagine this was anything but Sid's push to sign his old buddy.

As for Gudbranson, JR said they needed a physical guy....and he served that purpose.....but was eventually deemed a cap liability.

Always nervous when we play Jersey......hope the Guins come out ready to skate/play tonight. Devils lost at Detroit last night; hope that has them looking forward to Christmas already. Here on Sunday afternoon, it's unknown who'll be in goal for the B&G, though it certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least if Casey got the call.

Then again, they could play Jarry tonight.......Casey in the rematch at home on Tuesday.....and then bring back Jarry at home on Thursday versus the Cryers.

what a bunch of bs. holiday hockey ruined.

It's a shitty time anyway, with the normal 3 day break (for which the NBA has always taken full advantage)......but I certainly understand (and agree with) your point. About the only good news this week is that it's looking like the NHL will have to pass on the Olympics.....which is absolutely fine by me.

Just too bad they can't just adjust/fill-up that open schedule in FEB........hoping they can add at least some games here in NA.

Not sure if everyone has heard this, but Kingerski was passing along PIerre Lebrun reports....which I didn't see..... indicating his belief the Pens core might indeed be finished.

Says the team may be amenable to a short-term (whatever that means) deal for Letang, who has supposedly said he thought he could play "forever". I myself have gotten the impression that Letang isn't going to/won't short-change himself, especially to satisfy new ownership.....or Hexy and Burky, for that matter.....to which he has no personal/emotional allegiance;.....or, of course, they to him.

Of course, it's no secret the team has yet to approach Geno or Rusty formally about any kind of new deals thus far. Lebrun says the team has a Plan A.....sign Geno and Letang (not sure about Rusty) at team friendly deals, and a Plan B.....let everyone walk and begin the rebuild/re-tool next season. He thinks they may currently be in the Plan A camp, since the team seems perhaps more competitve this season than many expected.

The X-factor, of course, is the new ownership......which neither Lebrun (nor yours truly) is making any kind of guess as to where they currently stand. And early in their new process, they very well may not know themselves.

We all know that Burkle and Mario had the "for sale" sign out for some time, but were presumablly holding out for better offers....which they apparently got from FSG. However, I'm wondering if the sale at this point in time was not a coincidence. Maybe Burkle and Mario didn't want to have to make a decision specifically on Letang and Geno, and wanted/needed somebody else to make the decision (either way) for them

Some late Monday stuff from Kingerski:
  • Latest adds to Protocol list: Jarry, Marino, Blueger, Matheson, and Simon have joined Rodregues
  • Some are asymptomatic, others have mild symptoms, none are very sick according to HCMS
  • Jarry's quarantined thru 1/6, which means he'd miss at least 4 scheduled games
  • While Jarry is out, goaltending will be handled by (obviously) DeSmith and Louie Domingue
  • Geno and Rusty took full contact in practice today
  • If the Ottawa game is played Friday: Rust probably YES, Guentzel possible, Geno probably NO
  • Jake didn't practice today with a Non-Covid illness

So, Geno is claiming he wants to play "3 or 4 more years" and isn't thinking about money because he's "pretty rich" already.

I don't personally think anyone in this new organization wants him around that long, but who the hell know what they'd be willing to do if he remains healthy.....which we all know is completely unlikely, if not fundamentally impossible. As for money, I honestly have no clue....but I'm trying to decide if Hexy would offer a team-friendly deal with an AAV at half his current salary ($9.5 million).

I suppose its possible Geno might go for that.....though I wouldn't bet my life on it.....but I seriously doubt JP Barry will go along. As for term, I'd be surprised if they were willing to commit more than 2 years to him. Maybe they end up offering him a 2 year/$10 million deal and tell him to take it or leave it.

Then, there's the X-factor; Geno's wife, who went on the record several years ago regarding her (more or less) desire for Geno to wrap things up in New York or maybe Florida. I myself can't imagine Hexy offering anything at this point that'll make her happy.

Reactions: Irwineer2
Evidently, everyone.....including Jarry, Blueger, and KK.....on the ice and practicing this morning except for Carter and O'Connor (both in protocol).

Sam Lafferty to Black Hawks for forward Alex Nylander.

Nylander was said to have been a softee coming out of Juniors, and was therefore considered controversial as the #8 pick in the 2016 Draft by Buffalo (who then flipped him to Chicago in 2019 for Henri Jokiharju). Doesn't sound like his lack of intensity has improved since he turned pro.

Kingerski believes Hexy might have made this deal figuring Lafferty wouldn't survive waivers in anticipation of Geno's return. Anyway, Nylander sounds like little better than a WBS player (and perhaps an occasional call-up/taxi squader).

No doubt......let's be honest; they've really only beaten two good teams in this streak (WAS and STL), while games versus PHL, BOS, and TOR (not to mention two against the NJD, who typically play the Pens tough) were postponed. Still, it's still the best streak in the League at this point, and that can't be taken away from them.

They have games at Dallas and VGK in the next 10 days (plus the US Western swing), so it'll be interesting to see to what extent can maintain momentum. Gotta believe they're going to almost have to play DeSmith at least once in these next 5 games; admittedly, that concerns me a lot.

Meanwhile, I guess it's thought Geno will be back in the lineup tomorrow night; may I assume I'm not the only one who expects the team to go backward......hope I'm dead wrong about that.

DeSmith now in protocol (along with Rusty and McGinn) as of Monday afternoon .

Domingue will back up Jarry.....but isn't necessarily expected to play, since the team has no back-to-back games until JAN 20/21. I myself still wouldn't be shocked if he got at least one start; my guess is it'd most likely be on THU versus the LAK. No way he's going to get the nod in Vancouver or Vegas

O'Connor reportedly could play tomorrow night in Anaheim. Zucker reportedly is still not practicing; though this report from Kingerski would seem to imply he accompanied the team on this trip. Then again, why a player who's been out on a week-to-week basis would make a full-week's West Coast trip without any assurance of playing is something i can't explain.

Geno remains an unknown at this point, though I suppose his availability for Anaheim might be classified as MAYBE. Finally.....if you haven't looked at the schedule.....the Pens play 7 games in 11 nights (beginning with that back-to-backer on 1/20-21) upon returning home after next Monday's game in Vegas.

Six of those 7 will be at home......

Well, O'Connor is out of protocol.....and on his way to WBS. Guess he could not be placed on the Taxi Squad because of League rules stating 1) he's already spent 75% of the season on the roster......2) is waiver-exempt.....and 3) was on the roster as of 12/21.

Meanwhile, Angello and Zohorna have been placed on the Taxi Squad and could play tomorrow night if necessary. They're supposedly headed to California this afternoon.

Yohe reporting in today's Athletic piece (before tonight's game vs the LAK) that Jeff Carter says he wants to keep playing after this year.....possibly "a few more years (here)".

Trying to decide these days which is closer to the truth about this team; the winning or losing streak version. In a lot of ways, I care less about wins and losses than I do about this team's serial inability (except, I guess, for last night vs the Craps) lately....and even a fair number of times during the winning streak......to come even close to playing 60 minutes.

Not that this has anything to do with the Guins, but I heard on NHLN Radio this morning that Matt Murray is a nice 5-0-2 in his last 7 starts with Ottawa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT