ADVERTISEMENT

Pens/Bolts-Eastern Conference Finals

Euell

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
Game 1 at CEC is Friday at 8:00 P.M. It will be televised on NBCS. Let's Go Pens! Continue this march to the Cup!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoeers
Game 1 at CEC is Friday at 8:00 P.M. It will be televised on NBCS. Let's Go Pens! Continue this march to the Cup!:)
And.....I hate to break it to ya fellas but....game 5 looks in doubt for the Pens :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ....This will be a series I dearly hope the Bolts win just ONE if ya know where I'm going with this....sorry but I had to LOL!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!

And.....I hate to break it to ya fellas but....game 5 looks in doubt for the Pens :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ....This will be a series I dearly hope the Bolts win just ONE if ya know where I'm going with this....sorry but I had to LOL!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE CEC UNTIL NEXT SEASON !!!!

Of course, maybe the Pens finish off the TBL in 4 games and the point becomes moot.......:wink:

Anyway, just a little quick aside in advance of Game 1......something I wasn't following, but Frank Seravallli on TSN wrote accurately that, by making the League's Final 4, the Pens #1 pick going to Toronto in the Kessel deal won't be any higher than #27.

Meanwhile, the Pens current best picks in the 2016 Draft are #57 (2-27, their own), #71 (3-11, from NJD as compensation for John Hynes) and #117 (4-27, their own). Of course, the #2 and #4 picks (along with the #1 pick to the Laffs) could obviously slide down further if the Pens beat Tampa.

If you're interested in the Draft order as of today (5/12/16)........

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2016.htm

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE CEC UNTIL NEXT SEASON !!!!

Of course, maybe the Pens finish off the TBL in 4 games and the point becomes moot.......:wink:

Anyway, just a little quick aside in advance of Game 1......something I wasn't following, but Frank Seravallli on TSN wrote accurately that, by making the League's Final 4, the Pens #1 pick going to Toronto in the Kessel deal won't be any higher than #27.

Meanwhile, the Pens current best picks in the 2016 Draft are #57 (2-27, their own), #71 (3-11, from NJD as compensation for John Hynes) and #117 (4-27, their own). Of course, the #2 and #4 picks (along with the #1 pick to the Laffs) could obviously slide down further if the Pens beat Tampa.

If you're interested in the Draft order as of today (5/12/16)........

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2016.htm
Lmao! I promise I'm gonna do something to change the luck! They won in Buffalo when I was there so I need to figure out something from that mojo!?!...mind you Tampa is not Buffalo but lets hope they look like em out there!
In all honesty I got 6th row to the left of home net this time for 250 per ducat after fees which is steep for any sporting event (good thing im working some OT on Sat, and the Pens are playing Fri thankfully), but for a conference final? I thought pretty good all things considered. Free hotel at Sheraton Station Square on travel points (minimal ones too), also helps...nieces b-day fairly early Sunday morning for an hour or 2 and we're off! Shopping stop on way home Monday of course...soon as wife says yes? Trigger pulled lol!
Thanks for link...I will certainly look at...and it will be a pleasure to inform the Leaves lads here of their now 27 pick and falling!!!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!
OH NO! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!! LOL! Almost makes me hope they don't sweep so you get to make this exciting trip my friend. Of course 4-0 sounds pretty good too!

That I would dearly love to see! LOL! Can the Newfs dance also?
Lol...that would be one awkward dance!

Question actually for you Buc's fellas...I'm bringing 5 other pals down for the K-State game this year Oct 1 and we're gonna start the trip off in The Burgh on Thurs night for the last home game of season vs the Cubs...which with they way they're playing could be a fun game to watch and meaningful! We're all REALLY looking forward to seeing PNC for the first time...think I should order up tickets for this one asap? We just want the cheaper seats and from what I'm hearing uppers along the 3rd baseline are reasonably priced and give a commanding city/river view? I imagine if so these would sell out the quickest? Or is there another preferred area you guys like to sit in.... Blue Jays tix sell out pretty quickly of late and wondering if the Bucs are similar in that regard...

Thanks

Lol...that would be one awkward dance!

Question actually for you Buc's fellas...I'm bringing 5 other pals down for the K-State game this year Oct 1 and we're gonna start the trip off in The Burgh on Thurs night for the last home game of season vs the Cubs...which with they way they're playing could be a fun game to watch and meaningful! We're all REALLY looking forward to seeing PNC for the first time...think I should order up tickets for this one asap? We just want the cheaper seats and from what I'm hearing uppers along the 3rd baseline are reasonably priced and give a commanding city/river view? I imagine if so these would sell out the quickest? Or is there another preferred area you guys like to sit in.... Blue Jays tix sell out pretty quickly of late and wondering if the Bucs are similar in that regard...

Thanks

If the Cubs are rolling through the division as I myself think most people expect.......or worse, if there's an actual race underway which includes the Bucs......tickets will be in short supply. For that reason, I think ordering now makes sense. But others are closer to the Pirates' ticket situation than yours truly, so I'll leave it to them to comment with greater intelligence.

I spite of my psuedo-sanctimonious previous comments about the Pens not letting-down, I have to admit I myself am nowhere near as excited about the Conference Finals tonight as I should be. I know it's because I (and so many others) expended so much emotion in the Craps series.

Of course, we fans have the luxury of feeling however we choose......it's the guys getting paid who need to keep level-headed and focused no matter the situation. However, I do find myself concerned the TBL come into this series in a far better and fresher emotional place than the Pens. While they did get pushed a bit by the Dead Wings, they presumably got through the NYI series almost totally non-plussed. And you have to think they come in figuring they deserve to be in the Finals for the second consecutive year (and will play like it).

Lots of stories this morning about Tampa's physically monstrous defense; but at least they won't have the goal of taking the body (or the head) pretty much every time down the ice as was the case with the NYR or Craps. Tampa is also said by their media typically to be a slow Series-starting team, and we all know Game 1 is the least important game in every 7-game series (especially if the home team wins). But I do think the TBL are very confident coming-in, especially if they get Pens-killer Anton Stralman back in the lineup tonight (which I think is pretty likely).

I think the Pens need to establish a beachhead tonight in light of the fact they got swept in this past season's series by a team against whom they've historically been pretty successful. As much as anything else, I just want them to get off right offensively and not give Bishop a chance to get comfortable and confident.

For tonight's goaltending matchup, we expect the Rook to take down the Bishop.

CiXlUMdXAAQwQF7.jpg

Reactions: torontoeers
ESPN Stats & Info
Phil Kessel is making his 1st career conference finals appearance.
He has a career-high 12 points this postseason

Pittsburgh Penguins
Letang skates off the ice and down the runway to the locker room.
Callahan gets five minutes in the penalty box.

Pens Inside Scoop
Letang is boarded from behind by Callahan.
He immediately goes to the ice and stays down.
He's being tended to now.

Pittsburgh Penguins
In the midst of Bishop getting on the stretcher, Letang returns to the Pens bench.

Pittsburgh Penguins
A stretcher is taken on the ice for Bishop.
Horrible scene here at CONSOL Energy Center.
Fans cheering in support of the opposing net minder.

Pens Inside Scoop
Andrei Vasilevskiy is now in goal for Tampa Bay

I can deal with Killorn scoring the goal......he's a legitimate and documented playoff performer......but Maatta hardly even challenged him. If there's anyone for the Pens who needs this season to end and soon, Lord knows it's Maatta.

Meanwhile, not sure how things could have gone much worse for a team in a single period after losing two of their four best players.....and they still have the lead. I wonder if the Pens will ever actually get a shot on Vasilevsky, though.

Oh, and glad the Bolts have the ex-Rangers asshole Callahan out there to ensure there's bad blood brewing already. BTW, anyone see Sid tonight thus far ??

I can deal with Killorn scoring the goal......he's a legitimate and documented playoff performer......but Maatta hardly even challenged him. If there's anyone for the Pens who needs this season to end and soon, Lord knows it's Maatta.

Meanwhile, not sure how things could have gone much worse for a team in a single period after losing two of their four best players.....and they still have the lead. I wonder if the Pens will ever actually get a shot on Vasilevsky, though.

Oh, and glad the Bolts have the ex-Rangers asshole Callahan out there to ensure there's bad blood brewing already. BTW, anyone see Sid tonight thus far ??
Olli looked just awful on that play...my buddy actually text me 'Maatta wtf'...as per Callahan that was a wicked hit...and now...I give you the Cherry take tonight... 'Kids dont turn your back like Kris did here or you're asking for it'...Kypreos the meathead will say same...then 'I have no doubt Kunitz did this on purpose to atone for the Letang injury'...really Grapes??? It looked to my eyes like one player trying to finish his check and another trying to avoid a hit...and then the piece de resistance...'Sullivan shouldn't be yelling at his players on TV (Geno) it looks bad'... well WTF Don you asshat? You goin soft on us all now all of a sudden? This f'n fool is senile...I'm convinced....and yes...no Sid sighting thus far...the rest of this game would be a damn fine time to show imo...lets f'n go here!!!!

Pens Inside Scoop
Malkin already has 14 shot attempts so far tonight (5 on net, 6 blocked, 3 missed).

nice... 34 seconds left in the period... momentum going to the 3rd

Pittsburgh Penguins
GOAL! HORNQVIST!

The Pens cut the Lightning lead to 3-1 with less than a minute in the 2nd!

Sidney Crosby and Phil Kessel earn the assists on the Patric Hornqvist power-play goal.

CiYar5IXIAAqoGW.jpg

CiYcagLXAAISCoU.jpg

Last edited:
They are too tentative from 10 mins into the 1st tonight...let it dangle boys...use the speed and cut them off on the wall...TRANSITION....QUICKER!!!!

This game is still winnable...the Bolts to my eyes are taking advantage of a sleepy D and too many errant shots...

ESPN Stats & Info
Sidney Crosby gets 83rd career postseason assist, passing Jaromir Jagr for sole possession of 2nd in Penguins history (Mario Lemieux has 96)

I know the results thus far have been less than desirable but this CEC crowd or whomever is running the damned organ needs to get vocal...it is dead quiet...

Pittsburgh Penguins
Brian Dumoulin is hit into the boards by Ondrej Palat and is down on the ice.

Palat get two minutes for boarding.
Fans booing here at CONSOLEnergyCtr.
Dumoulin helped off the ice by teammates.
4:46 left in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Well....It looks like MAF has the net imo...although 2 of them were solid goals...one weak. But ya know what? Wake up Sid/Geno and even Kessel tonight...this team looked dead man walking from 10 minutes in. VERY disappointed in the effort all around...I saw NO PUSHBACK! ZERO! Gut check time now boys cause they're not gonna lie down and take it....does anyone else feel the Pens just gifted them this game? Cause from the 'effort' I saw. I sure do...just lackluster across the board...show up to play next game damnit...honestly...wtf was that tonight? Asleep at the switch....unacceptable.

I literally turned the game off midway thru the 2nd, and only checked back periodically. If Bishop wasn't hurt.......though it doesn't currently appear as though Tampa is going to volunteer much of anything regarding his condition (and it won't surprise me if he's called "day to day" for however long they're alive).....the team we saw last night would be in danger of losing four straight.

Pens are said to be seething over the Callahan hit; but really, who cares. Aside the Kunitz hit on Johnson.....which was questionable in its own right (and Jon Cooper was smart enough not to make a media issue about it after the game) ......the one thing for we know about this team is the opposition NEVER pays for the physical liberties it takes, and Cooper clearly knows it. The Pens are also said to be angry at Hedman; but who on this roster is going to make HIM pay for anything.

Unlike the Craps, Tampa may be the one team in the East who can both skate with the Pens while simultaneously grinding them into dust. Add the LOOOONG sticks of their gargantuan defenseman who can disrupt the rush with a single poke check, and this series already looks shaky. And something tells me Vasilevsky isn't going to fall apart on them. But Cooper clearly knows where is advantages are; and as was the case with the Craps, the Pens cannot afford to get behind and let the bigger team dictate play

They better prove they can get a LOT more shots on Vasilevsky's cage if they expect to make a series of this.

Well....It looks like MAF has the net imo...although 2 of them were solid goals...one weak. But ya know what? Wake up Sid/Geno and even Kessel tonight...this team looked dead man walking from 10 minutes in. VERY disappointed in the effort all around...I saw NO PUSHBACK! ZERO! Gut check time now boys cause they're not gonna lie down and take it....does anyone else feel the Pens just gifted them this game? Cause from the 'effort' I saw. I sure do...just lackluster across the board...show up to play next game damnit...honestly...wtf was that tonight? Asleep at the switch....unacceptable.
Personally, I would have replaced MM with MAF after TB went up 3-0. It may have energized an otherwise nearly dead team and stands and if nothing else given MAF a chance to shake off some of the rust in a game that was not going well anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT