torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
April fools! :flushed:
43698074002_acba4077f5_b.jpg

D2CB5EF79EDEB688078A8CAF8BAC91DC45ABB73C

Reactions: WVRON and COOL MAN
Was listening to John Shannon on NHLN Radio yesterday.......not much reason to do that these days, but I was in the shower......and he was talking about how popular #19 has been among great players recently. According to Shannon, Steve Yzerman picked it because Bryan Trottier was his idol.....and Joe Sakic picked it because Yzerman was his idol.

Now I see it's worn currently by Nik Backstrom, Joe Thornton, and Jonny Toews (and Jared McCann). I also see it was worn by Larry Robinson, Butch Goring, Markus Naslund, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Brad Richards, Jean Ratelle and Shane Doan.

Reactions: torontoeers
Meanwhile, Kingerski.....obviously desperate for something to write about (leaving me only to imagine what they must be writing about in GTA or Montreal).....listed his choices for the 5 most underrated Penguins all time:

#5 Dominik Simon
#4 Hal Gill
#3 Shawn McEachern
#2 Bob Errey
#1 Brian Dumoulin

Was listening to John Shannon on NHLN Radio yesterday.......not much reason to do that these days, but I was in the shower......and he was talking about how popular #19 has been among great players recently. According to Shannon, Steve Yzerman picked it because Bryan Trottier was his idol.....and Joe Sakic picked it because Yzerman was his idol.

Now I see it's worn currently by Nik Backstrom, Joe Thornton, and Jonny Toews (and Jared McCann). I also see it was worn by Larry Robinson, Butch Goring, Markus Naslund, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Brad Richards, Jean Ratelle and Shane Doan.
Never really occurred to me the others who were it besides Trots , Y, and Sakic but....that's a pretty distinguished list...meanwhile the Petes have NEVER retired a number which obviously includes 19, seems odd to me but it is what it is....

Reactions: COOL MAN
Meanwhile, Kingerski.....obviously desperate for something to write about (leaving me only to imagine what they must be writing about in GTA or Montreal).....listed his choices for the 5 most underrated Penguins all time:

#5 Dominik Simon
#4 Hal Gill
#3 Shawn McEachern
#2 Bob Errey
#1 Brian Dumoulin
Does this list leave you scratching head like myself? Ok, Dumo and Errey for sure... the other 3? Uh no imo, just NO.

Does this list leave you scratching head like myself? Ok, Dumo and Errey for sure... the other 3? Uh no imo, just NO.

I'm not saying he's wrong.....as much because I really don't need his opinion on this subject......but mostly because everyone has their own individual basis for viewing someone as being "underrated".

I mean, one such Penguin near the top of my own list would be Joey Mullen.....and he's a friggin' Hall of Famer.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-03-at-1.36.37-PM.png

Just read on PHN that Pettersson, Rusty, and ZAR sent 500 of these to local community distribution centers who cater to children and families who rely on school or food banks for meals. Figure these at $20/per (probably high) and you're talking about a $10,000.00 lunch.

For the record, Rusty is making $3.5 million......Pettersson "only" $874K (but with his first $4.025 million on the way shortly)......and ZAR is earning $1 milllion. So, maybe Rusty and Pettersson paid for the pies, and ZAR picked up the tips for the delivery drivers.

Wise assedness aside, that's a very nice move by these three young men

Stood in my FIRST line yesterday afternoon at Costco......roughly 25 minutes, as they only permit entrants equal to those exiting the store. On the plus side, I walked right up to the checkout, which essentially NEVER happens at Costco.

I assume this has been well-publicized north of the border, but CCM (and their "partner pros") are donating 500,000 surgical masks to Canada healthcare.....the donation is said to be originating via their Asia supply chain who'd otherwise be manufacturing hockey equipment.

NHL Pros said to be involved with this.....and supposedly having made personal contributions to the effort.....include Barzal, Bergeron, Boeser, Crosby, Debrincat, Duchene, Fleury, Heiskanen, Huberdeau, Seth Jones, MacKinnon, McDavid, Ovechkin, Panarin, Price, Tarasenko, and Tavares.

As is the case with so many scribes the last month, Josh Yohe published one of those bullshit personal Q&A columns today in The Athletic. Seemed to receive mostly personal questions, but there were a few hockey-related.....two of which I found interesting.
  • One concerned Tom Barrasso; Yohe was asked about the extent to which his local legacy is seemingly tied so closely to his so-called "sour disposition". While quickly admitting he didn't cover TB personally, Yohe said ".....But I know so many people who truly despise him. I’m not talking one or two people, I’m talking 90 percent of people who had contact with him. Many people truly can’t stand him.
  • The second pertained to Yohe's opinion as to whether the team will commit to Murray or Jarry. He admitted much can happen between now and then....such as will the team allow Murray to just play out his current deal and then try to decide......but said his "hunch" currently is that Jarry will eventually emerge as their long-term goaltender.

Kingerski did a profile over the weekend on the "mistakes" the team made after the 2nd Cup......without getting into all the details/gyrations here (and there are quite a few):
  • Ryan Reaves
  • Murray rather than Fluery
  • Exchange Trevor Daley for Matt Hunwick, then having to trade Conor Sheary (in order to rid themselves of the Hunwick deal)
  • Couldn't sign a decent 3rd line center; missed on McKegg and Sheahan
  • Also missed on signing Brian Boyle as a FA (which theoretically might have killed the eventual need for the Brassard deal)
  • Letting Ian Cole walk; may have ultimately forced the Jack Johnson signing (which I still think was Sid's decision)
  • Claims Phat had been asking to be dealt at least since 2018/19 (and possibly as early as 2017)

Kingerski did a profile over the weekend on the "mistakes" the team made after the 2nd Cup......without getting into all the details/gyrations here (and there are quite a few):
  • Ryan Reaves
  • Murray rather than Fluery
  • Exchange Trevor Daley for Matt Hunwick, then having to trade Conor Sheary (in order to rid themselves of the Hunwick deal)
  • Couldn't sign a decent 3rd line center; missed on McKegg and Sheahan
  • Also missed on signing Brian Boyle as a FA (which theoretically might have killed the eventual need for the Brassard deal)
  • Letting Ian Cole walk; may have ultimately forced the Jack Johnson signing (which I still think was Sid's decision)
  • Claims Phat had been asking to be dealt at least since 2018/19 (and possibly as early as 2017)
Interesting...I'll quibble with about half the list. Murray / MAF , that was I'm quite sure a tough call, for many reasons. I can see reason for both arguments here...
Trevor Daley didn't want to come back, and Ian Cole was imo too far into Sully's doghouse, had to happen...

The signings? Well several mistakes...not sure If King is admonishing GMJR for said list of , can I call it grievances? You would be able to know better than I that way, having read the full article....maybe I have misinterpreted as well...

Interesting...I'll quibble with about half the list. Murray / MAF , that was I'm quite sure a tough call, for many reasons. I can see reason for both arguments here...
Trevor Daley didn't want to come back, and Ian Cole was imo too far into Sully's doghouse, had to happen...

The signings? Well several mistakes...not sure If King is admonishing GMJR for said list of , can I call it grievances? You would be able to know better than I that way, having read the full article....maybe I have misinterpreted as well...

• Kingerski actually soft-pedaled the Reaves deal (called it the "least" of their missteps)
  • Said the team thought Murr vs Flower was a "no-lose" situation at the time, so they simply picked the younger/cheaper guy
  • Said simply that Daley was "allowed" to leave for free agency
  • Clearly blames the Cole departure on Sully alone
  • What I didn't realize is how long Phat was considered a problem by the coaches
Speaking of Phat, I just read another piece on him (not Kingerski's) regarding how much he's said to embrace situations when sick kids (and the like) are admitted to the locker room for an introduction. Supposedly, he was/is the type who really goes out of his way for such kids, but only if media wasn't present.

If media was in the room, Phat absolutely never got/gets involved.

• Kingerski actually soft-pedaled the Reaves deal (called it the "least" of their missteps)
  • Said the team thought Murr vs Flower was a "no-lose" situation at the time, so they simply picked the younger/cheaper guy
  • What I didn't realize is how long Phat was considered a problem by the coaches
Speaking of Phat, I just read another piece on him (not Kingerski's) regarding how much he's said to embrace situations when sick kids (and the like) are admitted to the locker room for an introduction. Supposedly, he was/is the type who really goes out of his way for such kids, but only if media wasn't present.

Yep...in talking to Friedman one eve over a few pints a couple years ago he said just that about Phat...Quote 'of all the players out there right now, I can tell you assuredly Kessel does the most in terms of charity work, he just doesn't want the media in on it' ...regardless of whether or not he was a jerk to teammates, coaches, media...that opened my eyes quite a bit.

Reactions: COOL MAN

And here is one I unfortunately came across this morning...we know it's gonna be a rough sled for WVU , the comparatively smaller institutions up this way are now axing many programs...
This is the team my cousin Murray is (was) the HC for a number of years...haven't talked to my aunt or him for quite a few months. Think I'll let the dust settle on this for a few weeks till I do.... Hopefully he can latch on somewhere down the road...
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/universi...rams-citing-provincial-funding-cuts-1.4903964

Kingerski did a You Tube interview/video on the Russian Penguins, detailing team's short dance with the Soviet Red Army team back in the mid 90's. As a You Tube video, I'll approach this as being public and therefore not the sole property of the subscription site.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/p...ontract/c-316767638?partnerId=pit-fb-penguins
Well I like the size, but the numbers don't exactly knock my socks off.... being that he's a Czech I won't hold my breath for much sandpaper, but I suppose there is always the exception to the rule...

Not really sure what to make of this......guessing this is llittle more than a minor league depth signing (even though I think the kid signed a 2-way deal). Presumably, the kid never even gets a smell by an NHL franchise without his size; but like you said, there's little indication his game matches his dimensions.

But assuming he's assgned to WB/S, he'll presumably get a trial call-up at some point to see how he fares against the best. Maybe playing against NHL size......which I assume is the biggest in the global game.....lights some manner of fire in the kid.

Last edited:
Not really sure what to make of this......guessing this is llittle more than a minor league depth signing (even though I think the kid signed a 2-way deal). Presumably, the kid never even gets a smell by an NHL franchise without his size, but like you said, there's little indication his game matches his dimensions.

But assuming he's assgned to WB/S, he'll presumably get a trial call-up at some point to see how he fares against the best. Maybe playing against NHL size......which I assume is the biggest in the global game.....lights some manner of fire in the kid.
Something else that's been circulating in my head over the last week... I would think Jarry will ask for same, seeing as his numbers are quite close to Elvis' .... cap will likely contract a bit next season no matter what happens with this year...would Jarry or Murray take 1 year deals, being that Seattle expansion is coming down the pipe? Not that I care but something tells me Columbus will have to expose one of their suddenly quite good tandem as it currently sits or trade one? Interesting they signed Korpisalo at 2 years the week before as well...Lots of variables to shake out I guess , but I don't see the Pens paying too much less than Columbus did here...
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29088951/jackets-sign-goalie-elvis-merzlikins-2-year-extension

Something else that's been circulating in my head over the last week... I would think Jarry will ask for same, seeing as his numbers are quite close to Elvis' .... cap will likely contract a bit next season no matter what happens with this year...would Jarry or Murray take 1 year deals, being that Seattle expansion is coming down the pipe? Not that I care but something tells me Columbus will have to expose one of their suddenly quite good tandem as it currently sits or trade one? Interesting they signed Korpisalo at 2 years the week before as well...Lots of variables to shake out I guess , but I don't see the Pens paying too much less than Columbus did here...
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29088951/jackets-sign-goalie-elvis-merzlikins-2-year-extension

I didn't realize Elvis signed a better deal......actually, a substantially better deal......than Korpisalo did. Korpi can't be at all happy with that development.

ADVERTISEMENT