ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- 2020 Off-season

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
To kick off this off-season thread, PHN is reporting today that Geno indeed was in the middle of serious trade talks last off-season.......to Florida; a spot I've always been led to believe he likes geographically.

This was said to be the follow-up to the deal for Phat, which Maklin supported. Geno was supposed to be next, and was said to be amenable to it (and I myself personally believe his wife, who isn't the world's biggest Pittsburgh fan, may have been the actual lynchpin behnd it). However, Sid supposedly entered the discussion as peacemaker, after which he was said to have urged Sully to talk to him.

Additionally, Mario is said to be against a split as well. The proposed deal eventually died.....and as a result, there's evidently some ongoing long-term committment of the two sides to one another. The net result essentially is that Malkin isn't going anywhere.....

This one from DK; current rumor is that Sully will be back as HC next season.

To kick off this off-season thread, PHN is reporting today that Geno indeed was in the middle of serious trade talks last off-season.......to Florida; a spot I've always been led to believe he likes geographically.

This was said to be the follow-up to the deal for Phat, which Maklin supported. Geno was supposed to be next, and was said to be amenable to it (and I myself personally believe his wife, who isn't the world's biggest Pittsburgh fan, may have been the actual lynchpin behnd it). However, Sid supposedly entered the discussion as peacemaker, after which he was said to have urged Sully to talk to him.

Additionally, Mario is said to be against a split as well. The proposed deal eventually died.....and as a result, there's evidently some ongoing long-term committment of the two sides to one another. The net result essentially is that Malkin isn't going anywhere.....
I suppose there are pluses and minuses to having a former player as an owner, and believe me I truly appreciate ALL he has done over the years as both a player and an owner who has obviously done a lot for the franchise. However I wish Mario weren't against this split. IMO the time was right last year and even moreso now... oh well, the country club may just continue for a few more years it seems. Ho hum.

This good...5 OT's! Neat fact , Korpo just beat Hrudeys record for saves playoff games ( by a longshot) and he's on my broadcast. I love hockey. Wish we there still..

Insane game; those guys played almost a full tripleheader.

Easy enough to see how it could happen, but Korpedo appeared to be out on his feet for the deciding GA......didn't look like he was even expecting the shot.

Reactions: torontoeers
These are situations where assistants are often sacrificed......don't think this is a big surprise. But why is it that I wouldn't be shocked to see Gonchar end up in a place like Washington (or Philly, or Columbus) ??

These are situations where assistants are often sacrificed......don't think this is a big surprise. But why is it that I wouldn't be shocked to see Gonchar end up in a place like Washington (or Philly, or Columbus) ??
Oh neither do I, but all 3? That tells me a story, especially with Martin whom we KNOW is a good coach with tenure....it also details a story to me that Sully ....you are now on watch, curious as to how much input he will have with his underlings...I imagine something, but usually when this happens it's mgmt choice/ override on anything he might suggest.

I went on a search today downtown for Milbury's 'Space Needle ' btw.. I couldn't find it. Makes me think I should look harder? It really shouldn't be hidden anywhere by the looks of it? What am I missing here fellas? Seems like I should head to the West, but somebody please advise. Thank you.

Oh neither do I, but all 3? That tells me a story, especially with Martin whom we KNOW is a good coach with tenure....it also details a story to me that Sully ....you are now on watch, curious as to how much input he will have with his underlings...I imagine something, but usually when this happens it's mgmt choice/ override on anything he might suggest.

Kingerski (in PHN) definitely opines that Sully is on the hot seat next season, and might not last IF the team comes out of the gate poorly.

Kingerski (in PHN) definitely opines that Sully is on the hot seat next season, and might not last IF the team comes out of the gate poorly.
So in discussion tonight with my cuz Murray (former coach at Lethbridge Alberta University till program was quashed in April) , I figure you of all will be interested in his take CM, perhaps some others here as well. He is especially bullish on Kaiden Guhle. Swift skater, offensively gifted ( can be groomed further) and defensively even better. Ranked at #13 and thinks we might get lucky if available at 15 but suggests minor trade to ensure we get him. Says he should be top 10. He mention he is also early birthday 2002 so will be coveted.
Next on the list is Connor Zary, a smaller version of Guhle, with skill, land slightly less fluid on skates.
Last is Dylan Hollaway he knows less about him as he has been at Wisconsin Badgers ( rather than WHL) but likes what he hear's as a C /LW. Ranked 19 he should be there.
I think we want a D imo, and so does he....I am really hopeful on the way he was talking up Guhle. ...let's get him.
I can forward you the links he sent me if ya like....one more thing? All of these guys are Western Canadians, which has me envisioning Gordie Howe bailing hay lol.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Blojax.... I will say he is a total dick/ borderline wingnut,(also heard today he is a serious advocate for Dog rescue and if you can get him going that way you'll see Mr. Softie) BUT will admit he is a good coach. **** them.

So in discussion tonight with my cuz Murray (former coach at Lethbridge Alberta University till program was quashed in April) , I figure you of all will be interested in his take CM, perhaps some others here as well. He is especially bullish on Kaiden Guhle. Swift skater, offensively gifted ( can be groomed further) and defensively even better. Ranked at #13 and thinks we might get lucky if available at 15 but suggests minor trade to ensure we get him. Says he should be top 10. He mention he is also early birthday 2002 so will be coveted.
Next on the list is Connor Zary, a smaller version of Guhle, with skill, land slightly less fluid on skates.
Last is Dylan Hollaway he knows less about him as he has been at Wisconsin Badgers ( rather than WHL) but likes what he hear's as a C /LW. Ranked 19 he should be there.
I think we want a D imo, and so does he....I am really hopeful on the way he was talking up Guhle. ...let's get him.
I can forward you the links he sent me if ya like....one more thing? All of these guys are Western Canadians, which has me envisioning Gordie Howe bailing hay lol.

DK happened to mention two of these kids in their review of 7 players who could/might/will be available at #15: The overall rankings are said to be Bob MacKenzie's
  • D Braden Schneider 6-2 210 from Brandon
  • #9 NA skater, #17 overall
  • C/RW Seth Jarvis 5-10 172 from Portland
  • #11 NA skater, #18 overall
  • C Anton Lundell 6-1 187 from HIFK (Finland)
  • #3 Euro skater, #12 overall
  • RW/C Dawson Mercer 6-0 180 from Chicoutimi
  • #10 NA skater, #13 overall
  • D Guhle 6-3-187
  • #8 NA skater, #14 overall
  • C Hendrix Lapierre 6-1 180 also from Chicoutimi (has a concussion history)
  • #13 NA skater, #15 overall
  • C/LW Holloway 6-0 192
  • #12 NA skater, #16 overall
On paper, that Guhle kid looks pretty compelling.....but why is it that I could see teams reaching for him earlier than the Pens due to his size ??

I'm thinking this listing is in order of DK's preference.....FWIW, the Holloway kid is said to be a classic NHL power forward type, but I'm thinking the team believes they've already got one of those in the pipeline with Poulin.

One more thing this morning; Billy Guerin reportedly said he's looking for goaltending in the offseason.....and DK figures Murray could therefore be one of his targets.

DK happened to mention two of these kids in their review of 7 players who could/might/will be available at #15: The overall rankings are said to be Bob MacKenzie's
  • D Guhle 6-3-187
  • C/LW Holloway 6-0 192
On paper, that Guhle kid looks pretty compelling.....but why is it that I could see teams reaching for him earlier than the Pens due to his size ??

I'm thinking this listing is in order of DK's preference.....FWIW, the Holloway kid is said to be a classic NHL power forward type, but I'm thinking the team believes they've already got one of those in the pipeline with Poulin.

One more thing this morning; Billy Guerin reportedly said he's looking for goaltending in the offseason.....and DK figures Murray could therefore be one of his targets.
Well Iike that Mac has him at 14 rather than 13 lol...my cuz definitely leans toward the 'tradeup' option in order to get him. Usually there is always someone to deal with in that regard (as every team has it's own needs at the time) and cost could be minimal/ worth it in that regard? I guess the real question is how high would the Pens need to go, in order to ensure he's available? Carolina does own The Leaves pick at #13, and by the looks of it a sound defensive core, along with other D in their system currently, but that may prove a bit risky and not high enough a jump... one unfortunate thing from my perspective is I dont have an accurate assessment on any of these guys personally. Being from the W , Q or Euro, I've seen zero game action on a single one of em... this will likely be a very important pick this time round, let's hope they get it right.

• D Guhle 6-3-187
  • C/LW Holloway 6-0 192

That might be a preferred locale for Murray actually... not overly far from family in Thunder Bay, familiarity will Guerin as well. Might be a good landing spot for him.
And as I mentioned earlier per Kypreos rumours... I have zero desire of seeing him in Blue/White, and also zero interest in Freddy Freakin Andersen...
Oh...and I can also have zero qualms about rooting for / getting a 30 Wild jersey, because they in the West and we'll rarely ever play em lol.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice who scored the game winner for Stars last night? Big Rig. It's likely not news that I honestly liked the guy in Black/Gold for what he did bring. Not really fleet of foot, but exceptional reach, able to clear out the front of net from time to time, half decent shot, no huge errors, and didnt mind dropping the gloves... although not sure how many he actually won.
Rather glaring to me now to think of who is effectively his replacement in JJ....sigh.
Oh also....Oleksiak played over 20 mins on their second pairing last night, but hey, we didnt need him....

Last edited:
Habs 5- donut over the Cryers?!? I gotta say I LOVE this....don't we all?

I always get a kick out of your "DONUT" references for shutouts, t.......am curious to know if that's kinda your own personal shtick, or is that commonly used in Canada ??

Kingerski writing yesterday it was Mario and Burkle who made the decision to clean the coaching house (though Sully reportedly was "allowed" to stay......which, if true, seems likely to be due to his new deal which would result in a pretty big buyout if he were canned).

Also, the early playoff departures are said to have impacted the team in such a way there is now question whether they'll spend to the cap next season. Finally, there is thought Recchi's departure could also have been rooted in problems (which were previously put aside) with Sid, supposedly going all the way back to his roster days when Sid was a rookie.

Two things this morning:

1. Per Dave Molinari, Geno had elbow surgery at UPMC this morning for a problem reportedly incurred before the playoffs......recovery time is estimated at 3-4 weeks; so it sounds to me like a (comparatively) minor procedure.
  2. Kingerski reporting his belief that Sully may have been a bigger problem with this team the past couple years than anyone realizes. Here's what he says:
The Pittsburgh Penguins are missing personality. They’re missing glue guys in the locker room that bring everyone together. Think Pascal Dupuis, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Ian Cole. The Penguins are bland, stale, and serious. The guys who brought a little fun or personality are mostly gone.
  • He goes onto to discuss Cole, who it's no secret was never on Sully's list of favorites (mostly due to his cushy relationship with the media). Kingerski said Sully thought this to be a distraction from his "all-hockey-all-the-time" approach.
  • It's thought Murray's serious attitude might well have been some factor (thought certainly not all of it) when the decision was made to select him over Flower, who was a well-known locker-room joker.
  • He also wonders about Jarry, who was supposedly a lot of fun in the past......after coming back to Pittsbugh, Jarry was noted to be much more serious this year.
He also writes......I won’t tell you who said it, but one of my fellow writers quipped this year after another dry locker room session, “this is the most boring group of guys I’ve ever covered.”

Two things this morning:

1. Per Dave Molinari, Geno had elbow surgery at UPMC this morning for a problem reportedly incurred before the playoffs......recovery time is estimated at 3-4 weeks; so it sounds to me like a (comparatively) minor procedure.
  2. Kingerski reporting his belief that Sully may have been a bigger problem with this team the past couple years than anyone realizes. Here's what he says:
The Pittsburgh Penguins are missing personality. They’re missing glue guys in the locker room that bring everyone together. Think Pascal Dupuis, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Ian Cole. The Penguins are bland, stale, and serious. The guys who brought a little fun or personality are mostly gone.
  • He goes onto to discuss Cole, who it's no secret was never on Sully's list of favorites (mostly due to his cushy relationship with the media). Kingerski said Sully thought this to be a distraction from his "all-hockey-all-the-time" approach.
  • It's thought Murray's serious attitude might well have been some factor (thought certainly not all of it) when the decision was made to select him over Flower, who was a well-known locker-room joker.
  • He also wonders about Jarry, who was supposedly a lot of fun in the past......after coming back to Pittsbugh, Jarry was noted to be much more serious this year.
He also writes......I won’t tell you who said it, but one of my fellow writers quipped this year after another dry locker room session, “this is the most boring group of guys I’ve ever covered.”
So they are goofballs on the ice now rather than in the locker room...awesome.

Two things this morning:

Furthermore to this...I did enjoy MAF's affable personality, as opposed to some not so much, but those cartwheels outside the dressing room with pads on? Um, ya...NO, that's kinda where I draw the line. Break your freakin leg and you are instantly an epic idiot. Do it at home when no one is looking....

Last edited:
Shoulder surgery yesterday for ZAR.....out 6 months. Guess he's lucky to have another year left on his deal ($1 million) of he'd probably get released.

Dale Hawerchuk passes away at 57 from stomach cancer. Sad news...
Came across this video of him signing the contract downtown Peg, Portage and Main lol. Something else.

And then this one I remember the most. He wins the draw and afterward, whoops there was that Soviet he held up / tripped around the blueline (halfway through the video) . Without those two facets 66 does not score and the game may have ended far differently.

Probably didn't receive all the attention he could have over his career too. Winnipeg to Buffalo? If there's anywhere to go and get lost from the big stage it might well be those two locales.

Helluva hockey player, outstanding with his charity work over the years. RIP Dale.

Shoulder surgery yesterday for ZAR.....out 6 months. Guess he's lucky to have another year left on his deal ($1 million) of he'd probably get released.
Yup likely... no question in my mind he has turned into a different player after the injuries. Especially after having his jaw rearranged. Not his fault, but this is the type of guy they would I imagine happily/ need to move on from... this surgery certainly doesnt help in terms of trading him, although I have no idea if mgmt was leaning that way or not.

Damn Craps...as much as it PAINS me to root for the Isles, woulda been nice to see them sweep em.... like they did to our guys last year. To top it off 8, jumps Sid on playoff goals (although I haven't tracked it but I'm fairly certain Sid would have more points) at his 69th. I would enjoy that race playing out further and 87 taking the lead back...I guess it would help if the Isles would dust these guys off pronto.

Edit I just looked at the points and it's not even close. I feel a bit better now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Watching Vegas/Hawks ... it perplexes me as to why Flower isn't in net? I mean he is the best ever and we shoulda kept him right? That's what all the FB experts told me?

Yes things did not turn out ideally after that maneuver, however it really highlights the need of having two capable goalies (which I always harp on I know) as The Pens were lucky enough to have during the 2 recent Cups. Lehner in tonight maybe Flower tomorrow.
Hand was forced imo with cap implications and expansion draft. No 'MATTer' :wink: how it turned out it was the correct decision at the time imo.

In saying that when Murray goes, they are handing the backup reigns to Casey? Surely not I would hope after a long stint in minors...but if these guys are going under the cap as I have been hearing what other choice is there? Some Griess / Khudobin type backup will cost and none of the younger WB/S guys are near ready nor do we know if they are capable. You need a guy for 20 games minimum, and that guy needs to win at least 50% of his games....hard times in the land of plenty?

Anyone else here have an entirely new screen setup or no? This will take getting used to...I don't get the same flags as I used to on any posts thusfar...it looks really flashy and you get the popular posts from each board, so I guess that's kinda cool...

Anyone else here have an entirely new screen setup or no? This will take getting used to...I don't get the same flags as I used to on any posts thusfar...it looks really flashy and you get the popular posts from each board, so I guess that's kinda cool...

These kinds of changes always make me chuckle......and I don't just mean those applied by Rivals. The site proprietors will always insist the "new capability" will make the blog so much better, when the users aren't looking for (or want) "new capability".

Of course, more often than not, these kinds of changes are mostly driven by the loss of tech support for the old format.......fair enough. But while some users will take advantage of some of the changes, it's funny how old farts like yours truly are simply left to just shrug our respective shoulders and say "who gives a shit".....:rolleyes:

These kinds of changes always make me chuckle......and I don't just mean those applied by Rivals. The site proprietors will always insist the "new capability" will make the blog so much better, when the users aren't looking for (or want) "new capability".

Of course, more often than not, these kinds of changes are mostly driven by the loss of tech support for the old format.......fair enough. But while some users will take advantage of some of the changes, it's funny how old farts like yours truly are simply left to just shrug our respective shoulders and say "who gives a shit".....:rolleyes:
I'd love to know where the hell to look for an alert flag? Nowhere to be found on my screen...and yes as per the above. The old one was working just fine for me...

Did anyone read any postgame comments from Torts; kind of assuming he gave the Press the finger in yesterday's postgame. Granted, that wasn't an easy way to lose......giving up a lead never is.....but I always wonder what it's like to be a Blojax player when their their coach publicly gives them the finger.

Did anyone read any postgame comments from Torts; kind of assuming he gave the Press the finger in yesterday's postgame. Granted, that wasn't an easy way to lose......giving up a lead never is.....but I always wonder what it's like to be a Blojax player when their their coach publicly gives them the finger.
Ya he took his puck and went home. Probably for the best...

@ColoradoMountaineer ....I imagine since your Preds are out, you must be impressed with your Av's meantime? They look absolutely deadly as do the younger buck Canucks. This is the series I want to see. Plenty of skill with a small amount of dirty. **** Vegas, all of it with them. Dallas is not good enough on the whole imo. They have weak spots.

ADVERTISEMENT