ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- 2020 Off-season

Ah geez.... not the uniforms! They are gonna look like half these international teams soon. I get it that they need to make money somehow BUT, I'd bet my mortgage these adverts on uniforms are now here to stay damnit. Bunch of billboards skating around out there...

Speaking only for myself, I've never spent that much time worrying about ads on NA pro unis.......perhaps because I've never expected them to end up looking like pro soccer (or hockey) in Europe. But, this is obviously a different time; and as always, what the hell do I really know.

Meanwhile, one thing I do know is that it's usually pretty tough to put the genie back in the bottle. So, it's probably reasonable to assume (or worry) these helmet ads/logos may well be here permanently. ......and once everyone gets used to them, hard to imagine it'll be too terribly long before we start seeing them on jerseys and skates.

Reactions: torontoeers
DK reporting today that KK has been cleared by immigration in Finland to come to Pittsburgh, and is expected to make town tomorrow (FRI 1/8).......except that he then has to sit for 7 days in quarantine (where he's not expected to be permitted to skate). Best current guess is he'll miss the first 3 games of the season (Cryers x2 and Craps x1)

DK says that others (like Anton Khubdobin, Mikhael Granlund, and Carl Soderberg) are having simlar problems; what I myself can't figure out is why these guys apparently didn't sufficiently account for the possibility of such problems.......plus this 7 day quarantine......so that they'd be available for camp (or at least the first game of the season).

Maybe the CBA doesn't require them to do this (or perhaps prohibits them from doing it); but from a distance, wouldn't you figure a kid like Kapanen to be motviated to get his ass to Pittsburgh on time ??

DK reporting today that KK has been cleared by immigration in Finland to come to Pittsburgh, and is expected to make town tomorrow (FRI 1/8).......except that he then has to sit for 7 days in quarantine (where he's not expected to be permitted to skate). Best current guess is he'll miss the first 3 games of the season (Cryers x2 and Craps x1)

DK says that others (like Anton Khubdobin, Mikhael Granlund, and Carl Soderberg) are having simlar problems; what I myself can't figure out is why these guys apparently didn't sufficiently account for the possibility of such problems.......plus this 7 day quarantine......so that they'd be available for camp (or at least the first game of the season).

Maybe the CBA doesn't require them to do this (or perhaps prohibits them from doing it); but from a distance, wouldn't you figure a kid like Kapanen to be motviated to get his ass to Pittsburgh on time ??
Ask me if I am surprised....
He's likely sleeping it off....
https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2020/02/03/kapanen-grilled-about-over-sleeping.html

Reactions: COOL MAN
Yeah, I remembered that story.......speaking of KK, it's still not hard to wonder what else GMJR could have come up with had he made it public (which I don't think is/was the case) his 1-15 pick in this past Draft was up for grabs..
Ok, here is another one that floors me to be honest, and I'd be curious as your and the others take...I know there is uncertainty within the market currently, and in the near future however... does this guy actually see what both the farm system, and the current roster is consisted of? 'In a couple years'? I thought his MO was NOW? I dunno I guess I've gotta stop listening to his musings....
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2084566

Ok, here is another one that floors me to be honest, and I'd be curious as your and the others take...I know there is uncertainty within the market currently, and in the near future however... does this guy actually see what both the farm system, and the current roster is consisted of? 'In a couple years'? I thought his MO was NOW? I dunno I guess I've gotta stop listening to his musings....
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2084566

I obviously can't respond to your question with anything but a personal guess (and thoughts)........

But I've long been part of that faction that doesn't believe GMJR will be with the team when the teardown begins. I've also been reading some accounts recently (from Josh Yohe, maybe ??) that claim he still loves his job, which sort-of implies he may around longer than I think.

If that's the case, it would tend to support my position that everything he's doing has been with Mario's clear (if unstated publically) support. That means he wouldn't be (or isn't being) held responsible for the fact they'll have (essentially) no strong prospects to speak of in the organization when the teardown starts.

Meanwhile, while his current MO clearly is NOW, that simply has to change at some point.......maybe in 2 years. Which leads to the evident reality the team recognizes the incoming light at the end of the tunnel with Geno and Letang's contracts. There'll be $16.75 million cap dollars available to chase a high profile FA or two once this team's core (more or less) finally reaches full-scale collapse mode.

The comments you mention about chasing FA's would also imply that GMJR realizes the Draft isn't the way for this team (with so little material in the pipeline) to rebuild. Now, whether or not you think that's a good plan is entirely your decision. In fact, speaking only for myself, I think it's terribly iffy........that is, unless he's got (or will get) some advance knowledge that specific FA's have an interest in playing for the Pens.

I also don't think Mario wants to try and fill seats three years from now......I still believe that's a major part of the team's dynamics (without anyone acknowleding it publically)......with youngsters at the top of the lineup; that only high profile guys can do it.

Which leads me to a guy like Nathan MacKinnon (who'd be 28 years old); I think he's the kind of player who'd be right in the team's crosshairs when if/when he becomes a FA after the 22/23 season. Of course, basing a rebuild around NM would require a fair amount of that advanced knowledge I mentioned earlier.

I obviously can't respond to your question with anything but a personal guess (and thoughts)........

But I've long been part of that faction that doesn't believe GMJR will be with the team when the teardown begins. I've also been reading some accounts recently (from Josh Yohe, maybe ??) that claim he still loves his job, which sort-of implies he may around longer than I think.

If that's the case, it would tend to support my position that everything he's doing has been with Mario's clear (if unstated publicly) support. That means he wouldn't be (or isn't being) held responsible for the fact they'll have (essentially) no strong prospects to speak of in the organization when the teardown starts.

Meanwhile, while his current MO clearly is NOW, that simply has to change at some point.......maybe in 2 years. Which leads to the evident reality the team recognizes the incoming light at the end of the tunnel with Geno and Letang's contracts. there are $16.75 million cap dollars available to chase a high profile FA or two once this team's core (more or less) finally reaches collapse mode.

The comments you mention about chasing FA's also implies that GMJR feels the Draft isn't the way for this team (with so little material in the pipeline) to rebuild. Now, whether or not you think that's a good plan is entirely up to you. Speaking for myself, I think it's terribly iffy........that is, unless he's got (or will get) some advance knowledge that specific FA's have an interest in playing for the Pens.

I also don't think Mario wants to try and fill seats......I still believe that's a major part of the team's dynamics (without anyone acknowleding it publically)......with youngsters at the top of the lineup; that only high profile guys can do it.

Something tells me a guy like Nathan MacKinnon (who'd be 28 years old) would be in the team's sights when when he becomes a FA after the 22/23 season. Of course, basing a rebuild around him would require a fair amount of that advanced knowledge I mentioned earlier.
Good breakdown.... if it's a guy like Mac, that happens to be available at thetime? Well that is a legit high profile guy to carry the torch down the road. In thinking about Mac it's really not terribly outlandish a possibility. Getting the two lads from Cole Harbour on the same squad, even if one of them is winding down? Geez...I'm salivating at that prospect.... ok better quit getting ahead of myself here lol.

And on another note I see practice is shut down today because of a Covid possibility? Ugh... not the news we were hoping to see....

Good breakdown.... if it's a guy like Mac, that happens to be available at thetime? Well that is a legit high profile guy to carry the torch down the road. In thinking about Mac it's really not terribly outlandish a possibility. Getting the two lads from Cole Harbour on the same squad, even if one of them is winding down? Geez...I'm salivating at that prospect.... ok better quit getting ahead of myself here lol.

And on another note I see practice is shut down today because of a Covid possibility? Ugh... not the news we were hoping to see....

Obviously, there's no current indication that MacKinnon will even enter free agency in 3 years......he's the franchise's cornerstone, and you don't typically don't see guys like that walking. But this is a team with a zillion prospects, and they're going to have to be paid......and that could be a problem assuming Mac is a solid 8-figure signee by then.

By 2023, I guess I'm hoping the Avs view Mac as sacrfice-able (is that a word), perhaps after having delivered a Cup or two (or because he hasn't delivered one by then). This comparison might not be the best.....but the way I've got it figured.....if the Blues can let Pietrangelo walk after cornerstoning a Cup, the Avs can do it with NM.

As for the COVID issue in camp, I really have no idea how ominous this is......from what I read, this decision was due to a possible exposure rather than one that's confirmed. Obviously, that leaves room for a worse announcement in the next couple days, but all we can do is keep paying attention. Frankly, I'd have rather heard this decision last Saturday (1/2) than today on 1/8 with the season ready to start in 4 days, but.......

Barzal re-ups with the NYI......said to be 3 years with a $7.0 million AAV. Pretty nice bridge deal, I'd say (though perhaps it will be argued that most bridge deals are for 2 years).

Barzal re-ups with the NYI......said to be 3 years with a $7.0 million AAV. Pretty nice bridge deal, I'd say (though perhaps it will be argued that most bridge deals are for 2 years).
I have to believe the Isles pushed for a bit more term, but really under current climate, a pretty good deal for both sides on the surface of it imo.

Pens reportedly back to practice today (SUN 1/10) after yesterday's COVID-related shutdown......

Mountaineers lose the heartbreaker on Saturday......Tshibwe decides on (and it really doesn't matter) Kentucky......Steelers end their season by dropping one of the bigger turds you'll see from a playoff team.....road game tomorrow night at arguably the best team in the country.......a guy like me can't have too many more problems than that at any one time.

You know you've got issues when the 20/21 Penguins are the best thing I've got going.......:rolleyes:

Just read on ESPN that Mike Milbury is officially out as an analyst on MSNBC's NHL coverage......an offshoot of the "insensitive and insulting" comments he was viewed by his bosses to have made during the playoffs last August (when he said the players weren't distracted in the bubble because there were no women there).

Meanwhille, with Doc Emrick now retired, it appears the main PbP guys for MSNBC will be Kenny Albert, Brendon Burke (from MSG), and John Forslund. My guess only, but I think Forslund will be the lead guy now that he's been ejected from his previous full time gig in Carolina. I read elsewhere he was a candidate to replace the retired Rick Peckham on Lighning TV, but they wanted someone devoted full time to the job (or else he didn't want to split his efforts up).

It's also being reported that Pope Mike Babcock, ex-Ranger/Bolt Ryan Callahan, and ex-Ranger Dominic Moore have been added as studio analysts.

PHN reporting no surprises whatsoever on the Pens final roster........Poulin and Legare were sent back to the Q, and the taxi squad is made up of Anthony Angello, PO Joseph. Drew O'Connor, Freddy Gaudreau and goaltenders Max Legace and Alex D'Oro.

Evidently, League rules require a team to carry a minimum of three goaltenders.

Kingerski rated some taxi squad, lower roster, and prospect players in a STOCK UP STOCK DOWN manner today:
  • POULIN -- Stock Down (said to have been "out of sorts" and never really threatened to make the roster)
  • LAGARE -- Stock UP UP UP (said to have been physical and showed better skating than in the past; could be a 4th liner right now)
  • O'CONNOR -- Stock Up (doesn't make mistakes and is quicker, with a better shot than Angello, making him a better prospect)
  • JOSEPH -- Stock Up (said to have been uneven during practice, but was supposedly much better in the game simulation the other night...thought to be very close to making the roster)
  • MANISCALCO -- Stock Up (fast and fearless, not afraid to go to the net.....needs seasoning, but thought to have all the raw tools)
  • JORDAN NOLAN -- Hold (nothing notable, but has what it takes to be a tough guy)

Kingerski rated some taxi squad, lower roster, and prospect players in a STOCK UP STOCK DOWN manner today:
  • POULIN -- Stock Down (said to have been "out of sorts" and never really threatened to make the roster)
  • LAGARE -- Stock UP UP UP (said to have been physical and showed better skating than in the past; could be a 4th liner right now)
  • O'CONNOR -- Stock Up (doesn't make mistakes and is quicker, with a better shot than Angello, making him a better prospect)
  • JOSEPH -- Stock Up (said to have been uneven during practice, but was supposedly much better in the game simulation the other night...thought to be very close to making the roster)
  • MANISCALCO -- Stock Up (fast and fearless, not afraid to go to the net.....needs seasoning, but thought to have all the raw tools)
  • JORDAN NOLAN -- Hold (nothing notable, but has what it takes to be a tough guy)
Disappointed on the Poulin review but all things considered not surprising, hopefully he finds it 'out of sorts' ? Wow....

Now the rest.... that's what I really want to hear...physicality and effort will be sorely needed....

Just read on ESPN that Mike Milbury is officially out as an analyst on MSNBC's NHL coverage......an offshoot of the "insensitive and insulting" comments he was viewed by his bosses to have made during the playoffs last August (when he said the players weren't distracted in the bubble because there were no women there).

Meanwhille, with Doc Emrick now retired, it appears the main PbP guys for MSNBC will be Kenny Albert, Brendon Burke (from MSG), and John Forslund. My guess only, but I think Forslund will be the lead guy now that he's been ejected from his previous full time gig in Carolina. I read elsewhere he was a candidate to replace the retired Rick Peckham on Lighning TV, but they wanted someone devoted full time to the job (or else he didn't want to split his efforts up).

It's also being reported that Pope Mike Babcock, ex-Ranger/Bolt Ryan Callahan, and ex-Ranger Dominic Moore have been added as studio analysts.

No tears here at Milbury's departure, Forslund? Hmmm....might still need my earplugs on Wed nights, but I'll maintain an open mind...maybe for a period or so lol...

ADVERTISEMENT