ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 2/16-28

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well, at least teams above them (NYR, NJD) have each lost the past couple nights, and the Islanders have the Craps tonight. So, this one against kind-of up and down Detroit is.....as is every game the rest of the way.....important.

Looks like Geno is still out.....unfortunately, I won't get home in time to see tonight's game, but will at least catch the weekend games (unless my wife has me committed to something) before heading out for a full week in Philly/Jersey/NYC early this coming Monday morning. The fellow with whom I'm traveling next week happens to be a Pens fan; so at least we're pulling for the same side (and he's one of those unusual Philadelphians who's no Cryers fan).

A Philly fella who's a Pens fan? Now there is a guy I can respect!!!

I'm shuffling off to Buffalo tomorrow in advance of Sunday afternoons game. We're upper deckers this time round as the tix in Buffalo are actually still on the expensive side....The guys need to placate the ladies on this trip with some outlet shopping in Niagara it seems on way down so I will miss the Bolts matchup tomorrow at noon and the Okla/WVU matchup so do me a favor gents and gimmie the rundown on how you all felt they looked!
I am really starting to like the looks of Sheary, Wilson (happy to see him with his first last night), and Porter...very workmanlike efforts outta them. Also Daley....what a talent he seems to be imo.

And apparently Kessel hears my and OM1's gripes of late to sink 2 into the twine! Keep it up Phil!

Let's Go Pens....and Let's Go Mountaineers!!!!

Eklund bringing up Scottie Hartnell's name around the Pens a second time.......I was in favor of this deal when I first heard it and remain in favor of it today. But it clearly cannot be made without moving a roughly comparable contract(s) back to Columbus.

Maybe the CBJ take Kunitz solely to rid themselves of Hartnell's deal.....and regain his full $5.0 million cap space 2 years earlier......or maybe the Pens decide it's finally time to cut their losses on a much younger Pat Hornqvist (though Hartnell's deal is a year longer). I also wonder if GMJR could offer up a package of minor players like Bonino or Fehr plus Cole; though, unless Hartnell is downright demanding a trade, I can't imagine Kekalainen even considers a deal that lame.

Somebody tell me how the Pens can end up with Hartnell for the playoff run......

I'm not quite sure what inspired the stink effort in the 3rd but...unacceptable. The next 2 are entirely winnable games and they need to do just that....

With his stat line maybe nobody should have to pay him.....
Lol...true. But this one is a low risk in terms of salary and potential high reward...I think he was originally drafted by Ducks and they couldn't sign him. Went to Wisconsin Badgers and then signed by Oil. I think the expectations were HUGE on him in Edmonton...eg. MacTavish foolishly stating 'he'll be a Norris trophy winner one day'. And besides the Oilers royally F just about everything they do...I think it's low risk with the potential for some good results....I'd still like to see another D man who can throw his weight around and clear the net area a bit, but I think that ship may have sailed with this deal...

Though i freely admit I know nothing about Schultz aside the degree
to which Oil fans grew to despise him, I find myself thinking he just might surprise folks. Looks like he comes in no better than a 3rd pairing guy, so the team is clearly temporing expectations and not planning to rely on him heavily. But if he has any ability to move the puck, you have to think this team gives him a chance to do that. Of course, they need someone to play his own end, too; and I know that aspect of his game is considered something less than accomplished.

But the #3 pick they gave up is irrelevant, and their financial commitment to the guy is only marginally more notable. As a result, I have no problem with the Pens swinging more or less for the fences with this guy.

If there's a more hysterically useless/asinine deal today than Sergei Plotnikov to Arizona for Matthias Plachta and a conditional 7th rounder, I want to see it. I have nothing against Plotnikov, who obviously proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he was totally unprepared for the NHL. Still, it's hard to believe a kid who'd never before set a skate inside in an NHL arena was being thought of......though not by yours truly.....as a possible Top 6'er last summer.

Aside the fact Plachta has decent size (6-2 218), he certainly has every appearance of a career minor leaguer type; in fact, I suspect GMJR actually brought him in more with aims on adding depth to WB/S rather than Pittsburgh. I also wonder what possible conditions there could be with the Yotes' 7th round pick. Both Plachta and Plotnikov are RFA's, so perhaps it's paid only if SP returns to Arizona next season rather than going home to Russia (which I assume was the reason why he was permanently benched and then forgotten in Pittsburgh).

Meanwhile, here are the Leafs, making largely irrelevant deals left and right (and what did Winnik do for the Pens in the 2015 playoffs that so interested the Craps ??). What's funny (or sad) is that if Dave Nonis makes these same deals, he gets roasted for lack of return. But put Lou's name on them......with Babcock's stamp of approval......and each becomes the latest of the great building blocks of the "new" Leafs.

Actually, there was one even more hysterical deal than that one from the other day; how about the Kings sending minor league defenseman Christian Ehrhoff to Chicago minor league defenseman Rob Scuderi ??

If there's a more hysterically useless/asinine deal today than Sergei Plotnikov to Arizona for Matthias Plachta and a conditional 7th rounder, I want to see it. I have nothing against Plotnikov, who obviously proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he was totally unprepared for the NHL. Still, it's hard to believe a kid who'd never before set a skate inside in an NHL arena was being thought of......though not by yours truly.....as a possible Top 6'er last summer.

Aside the fact Plachta has decent size (6-2 218), he certainly has every appearance of a career minor leaguer type; in fact, I suspect GMJR actually brought him in more with aims on adding depth to WB/S rather than Pittsburgh. I also wonder what possible conditions there could be with the Yotes' 7th round pick. Both Plachta and Plotnikov are RFA's, so perhaps it's paid only if SP returns to Arizona next season rather than going home to Russia (which I assume was the reason why he was permanently benched and then forgotten in Pittsburgh).

Meanwhile, here are the Leafs, making largely irrelevant deals left and right (and what did Winnik do for the Pens in the 2015 playoffs that so interested the Craps ??). What's funny (or sad) is that if Dave Nonis makes these same deals, he gets roasted for lack of return. But put Lou's name on them......with Babcock's stamp of approval......and each becomes the latest of the great building blocks of the "new" Leafs.
CM if I hear anymore bafflegab from local media and their troop of adoring Leaves fan cronies I am gonna bring up my lunch....
This pure nonsense how 'they have done everything right and should be executives of the year' is laughable...

I have heard since November about the massive return PA Parenteau would bring them...LMAO nothing! Grabner? Nothing! Boyes? Nothing! Not to mention the Leaf asshat brigade deciding to allow Parenteau to play monkey bars in the weight room, sustaining a minor neck injury and THEN electing to play him the last game before deadline and removing him from the lineup after first AND talk of the injury to the media?!? Oh yeah! You fellas have it all figured out...job well done .....I love it!

And one more thing Leafers!....A 12 year old failing math could do exactly what you've been doing over the last year...it's not rocket science.

Tearing a team apart limb from limb is easy....BUILDING a team? An entirely different ball o' wax!

Damn Toronto fans/media are nauseating. ...rant over lol.

Reactions: COOL MAN
CM if I hear anymore bafflegab from local media and their troop of adoring Leaves fan cronies I am gonna bring up my lunch....
This pure nonsense how 'they have done everything right and should be executives of the year' is laughable...

I have heard since November about the massive return PA Parenteau would bring them...LMAO nothing! Grabner? Nothing! Boyes? Nothing! Not to mention the Leaf asshat brigade deciding to allow Parenteau to play monkey bars in the weight room, sustaining a minor neck injury and THEN electing to play him the last game before deadline and removing him from the lineup after first AND talk of the injury to the media?!? Oh yeah! You fellas have it all figured out...job well done .....I love it!

And one more thing Leafers!....A 12 year old failing math could do exactly what you've been doing over the last year...it's not rocket science.

Tearing a team apart limb from limb is easy....BUILDING a team? An entirely different ball o' wax!

Damn Toronto fans/media are nauseating. ...rant over lol.

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

BAFFLEGAB.......now that's a great word to describe what comes from the mouths of hockey fans and media, especially those in Southern Ontario !!!!!

Meanwhile, I didn't turn on Trade coverage until well after the lunch hour; but from what I can tell, it was possibly the most uneventful Trade Day of all time (and certainly since the League was taken hostage by satellite TV and radio). I did find the Hockey Central coverage funny when they said they knew it was going to be a great day when it opened with the Plotnikov deal.

Juts glad I wasn't in the car all day listening to the NHLN Radio mouths panting over the rumors and getting stood up. For me, the best part of the day was seeing the Bruins finally strike out on trading Eriksson; can't believe nobody bent over and gave them the Top 4 plus a #1 solely because they're the Bruins (and they're entitled).

I also understand the CBJ and Nashville really worked the phones hard around Harnell but couldn't make it happen. I think he'd have been a good addition to the Preds.....and I'd like to get him out of the Metro......especially in that division where toughness matters while everyone tries to figure out how to beat the Black Hawks.

Last edited:
A couple words for the combined 20 million....Ya know Geno , there is no doubt you're pretty stellar...however smarten the F up when it comes to these bone nosed decisions based on your emotion and landing you in the box at the most inopportune time! ....and Sid? Shoot the F'n puck! Sometimes generosity is a bad thing...cmon guys! And Niskanen of all the goal scorers....

Looked great early and then? They let em get to them and Holtby looked very good. Honorable mention to Mr.Murray....the future in the cage is still bright....
Is this our first round matchup fellas(should we manage to keep on keeping on)? I'd rather Florida, but surprisingly I'd take my chances with the Craps (not sure how much longer we're gonna be able to use this handle, they seem to find a way no matter the condition), over the Rangers....I DON'T care to face the Rangers again. ...thoughts?

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

BAFFLEGAB.......now that's a great word to describe what comes from the mouths of hockey fans and media, especially those in Southern Ontario !!!!!

Meanwhile, I didn't turn on Trade coverage until well after the lunch hour; but from what I can tell, it was possibly the most uneventful Trade Day of all time (and certainly since the League was taken hostage by satellite TV and radio). I did find the Hockey Central coverage funny when they said they knew it was going to be a great day when it opened with the Plotnikov deal.

Juts glad I wasn't in the car all day listening to the NHLN Radio mouths panting over the rumors and getting stood up. For me, the best part of the day was seeing the Bruins finally strike out on trading Eriksson; can't believe nobody bent over and gave them the Top 4 plus a #1 solely because they're the Bruins (and they're entitled).

I also understand the CBJ and Nashville really worked the phones hard around Harnell but couldn't make it happen. I think he'd have been a good addition to the Preds.....and I'd like to get him out of the Metro......especially in that division where toughness matters while everyone tries to figure out how to beat the Black Hawks.
Lol...it is a suitable description isn't it!....Sounds like you have essentially the same view as I on this deadline coverage thing...it is no longer what it was 10-15 years ago and we now get to watch/listen to analysts earn their pay by playing ping pong or nerf football waiting for a trade .....'guys!!! Stan Smyl has been traded for Doug Wickenheiser!...oh wait...it was nobody for nobody!'

There are games where I just get flat-out disgusted at Sid's play. It is evident that he understands which teams will hit him and which ones won't. Last night when they needed somebody to step up, he didn't. Brian Rust stepped his butt up last night and played his best game as a Pen. As noted, Geno retaliates to the hits he receives and takes penalties. Same ole Geno. And my last gripe on the forwards...Carl Hagelin. Love his speed but where did his game go?

Now to the defense Maata is worrying me. This is about 2 solid weeks of subpar play. Not sure if he is playing hurt or just hitting that late winter wall. But he needs to get better if the Pens are to have any chance.

And....well...I just bought one of those gold bags gents after himming and hawing between periods and down to 60 left...needless to say the wife is gonna kill me when it arrives lol.
In all honesty however the foundations it supports are more than worth the $ after reading up on what they do for cancer care....and If I can have a signed jersey (my first of any variety) to display I am more than happy! I love all the 5 guys that are on the list. I will couch this statement with the fact that if I open that bag and I get a #66? Yeah...I'll be positively over the freakin moon!!! A BIG W over those blasted Rangers helps too tonight...a great effort to keep em off the board after those quicker than lightning 3 were scored....we're Rollin! :boxing:

There are games where I just get flat-out disgusted at Sid's play. It is evident that he understands which teams will hit him and which ones won't. Last night when they needed somebody to step up, he didn't. Brian Rust stepped his butt up last night and played his best game as a Pen. As noted, Geno retaliates to the hits he receives and takes penalties. Same ole Geno. And my last gripe on the forwards...Carl Hagelin. Love his speed but where did his game go?

Now to the defense Maata is worrying me. This is about 2 solid weeks of subpar play. Not sure if he is playing hurt or just hitting that late winter wall. But he needs to get better if the Pens are to have any chance.
I'm starting to think Carl may need to step off the gas for a bit and play a bit more controlled game? However I slso wonder if this would allow his linemates to be keyed on more? Double edged sword there...doesn't help that the sack of shit Perron is having his once every few years epiphany. No worries, he'll fall off into oblivion when his ass gets LAZY just like in Edmonton and The Burgh...I have NO DOUBT!

Will be interested to see where Perron lands this summer; if he's willing to take a cut......maybe yes, maybe no......the Ducks just might keep him around. Maybe he signs a 1-year, prove-it deal which, based on his history, would not be a very good idea.

Anyway, nice to see King Henrik meltdown last night; that was actually pretty funny. We all know the Pens usually turtle when the Rangers take the lead......especially after a relatively soft goal as was the case last night.....but they kept on playing and got a break (which they seemingly never get versus the NYR) on Sid's goal. And it's good to see Hornqvist continue to get rewarded recently for his hard work.

But last night was setup to be great night; Pens beat their nemesis and everybody else in the Metro loses. Of course, the NJD and NYI both come back on the road and tie their games in the last minute and then win on OT.

Shit......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT