ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 2/1-2/15

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well guys, some good news from SW Ohio......COOL MAN finally got off the snide and went back to work full-time this past week after being on the reorganization sidelines. Believe me, it's very good to have something other than Pens (and Mountaineer) results as my #1 priority when I get up in the morning (and eventually have a bi-weekly paycheck to again look forward to).

Speaking of the Pens, last night versus the Bolts obviously turned out less than satisfying. Got home kind-of late, and missed the entire 1st period......obviously missed most all their good play. Obviously, the team's biggest problem right now is 9 goals on 37 shots by Flower in little more than one game; not sure why he's come back from the break so out of sorts. I realize one game could turn things around for him; but Flower is an emotional guy, and I worry he's a real head case right now.

I guess Zatkoff is getting the start in Sunrise tonight, which I think is a very good call by Sully (after he played two pretty good periods last night). Not sure what Flower will need to get back his game; but this team is going nowhere, period, without him being solid in the net. The good part is there's still a fair amount of season left to get his groove back. the bad is they have no cushion at all regarding a playoff spot while we're waiting.

Really, a borderline amazing comeback considering they were down 2-0 with 6 minutes left, and shocking given both their record in the second of back-to-backers and who they beat tonight. No question, a classy PP game winner by KL off Sid's dynamite assist.

I spent Saturday night flipping between the Pens and WVU games. I admit I gave up on the Pens when the penalty expired where we gave up the shorty. Down 2 with 7 to play wasn't encouraging. I did turn it back with about 2:30 to play and saw the Crosby equalizer. Got to admit, I hate the rule that allowed that goal. While Sid didn't kick it in, that rock hard pad on his knee was perfectly and intentionally placed to direct that puck into the net. I guess I am old school on that.

The team is flying. What a nice 2 points on the backend of a 2 night road trip. I only hope MAF is just in a mini slump that ends tomorrow. He was awful Friday and the game before. It happens. It just needs to end soon.

Well guys, some good news from SW Ohio......COOL MAN finally got off the snide and went back to work full-time this past week after being on the reorganization sidelines. Believe me, it's very good to have something other than Pens (and Mountaineer) results as my #1 priority when I get up in the morning (and eventually have a bi-weekly paycheck to again look forward to).

Speaking of the Pens, last night versus the Bolts obviously turned out less than satisfying. Got home kind-of late, and missed the entire 1st period......obviously missed most all their good play. Obviously, the team's biggest problem right now is 9 goals on 37 shots by Flower in little more than one game; not sure why he's come back from the break so out of sorts. I realize one game could turn things around for him; but Flower is an emotional guy, and I worry he's a real head case right now.

I guess Zatkoff is getting the start in Sunrise tonight, which I think is a very good call by Sully (after he played two pretty good periods last night). Not sure what Flower will need to get back his game; but this team is going nowhere, period, without him being solid in the net. The good part is there's still a fair amount of season left to get his groove back. the bad is they have no cushion at all regarding a playoff spot while we're waiting.
Congrats on the great news CM! Will it involve similar travel to your previous employ or keep you closer to home more often?

I had a rather crazy weekend and unfortunately missed both games (probably the first time for that this year)....but am pleased they got at least one. And thanks for the updates on what they looked like over the wknd gents...I most definitely have a gander at these threads in particular , (even if I'm stuck at the in-laws for birthday parties Lol) as I appreciate the more local grasp you fellas can add and honest analysis.

So...I just turned the game on and 2 - donut! I'm kinda pissed I missed the goals but, I can tell ya I always have a big smile when that happens! ...more than once in the last month too I believe....

Stay on em boys...2-0 can change quick vs Getzlaf/Perry...

Gsus...I should shut up eh? I just jinxed them there...what an unhappy edit this is.....whoa wait! HAGELIN!!!!! Yes sir! Lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN

Congrats on the employment and good luck. Pens smoking tonight. It's great to see the #87 of old lately. Who was the dumba$$ that said the Pens should "clean house" a couple of months ago? Oh wait, that was me! LOL! Original Mountaineer and others said it was too early and they were right. I believe getting rid of the HC who looked like an undertaker and putting Sullivan on the bench made a big difference.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Congrats on the employment and good luck. Pens smoking tonight. It's great to see the #87 of old lately. Who was the dumba$$ that said the Pens should "clean house" a couple of months ago? Oh wait, that was me! LOL! Original Mountaineer and others said it was too early and they were right. I believe getting rid of the HC who looked like an undertaker and putting Sullivan on the bench made a big difference.
Agree with you here Euell...Sully deserves a ton of credit for the recent turnaround. ...he's engaged with them constantly, supportive, and critical when he has to be. If they say a team often takes on the personality of their coach THIS is a textbook example, both presently and the first 25-30 games....what a refreshing change!

These 3rd and 4th liners are really buying in too, which I guess is no surprise seeing as Sully is familiar with many of them from WB/S....Sheary continues to impress me regularly. ...

Agree with you here Euell...Sully deserves a ton of credit for the recent turnaround. ...he's engaged with them constantly, supportive, and critical when he has to be. If they say a team often takes on the personality of their coach THIS is a textbook example, both presently and the first 25-30 games....what a refreshing change!

These 3rd and 4th liners are really buying in too, which I guess is no surprise seeing as Sully is familiar with many of them from WB/S....Sheary continues to impress me regularly. ...

It is crazy to think that this is the same Sid we saw the first 30 games.
  1. Shots that were finding the chest of the keeper are now roofed or deposited in a corner
  2. The lazy cross-ice passes that were routinely picked off and skated the other way are finding tape
  3. The lackadaisical play where he avoided the net at all costs has been replaced by Sid hanging out in the crease and driving to the net.
  4. The lack of emotion coupled with shouting matches with teammates has been replaced with a steely-eyed look of a leader
Not sure why the change....new coach.....addition of speed to the roster....renewed focus by Sid..... All-star snub???? I am just glad that he is back.

It is crazy to think that this is the same Sid we saw the first 30 games.
  1. Shots that were finding the chest of the keeper are now roofed or deposited in a corner
  2. The lazy cross-ice passes that were routinely picked off and skated the other way are finding tape
  3. The lackadaisical play where he avoided the net at all costs has been replaced by Sid hanging out in the crease and driving to the net.
  4. The lack of emotion coupled with shouting matches with teammates has been replaced with a steely-eyed look of a leader
Not sure why the change....new coach.....addition of speed to the roster....renewed focus by Sid..... All-star snub???? I am just glad that he is back.
That second marker last night was vintage Sid...trying to haul him down and fought through it and roofed it! The difference is night and day as you say...and I did notice that steely-eyed look you mentioned last night too lol....keep on this roll boys....

NO!!!! WTF is Ottawa doing??? I need the Leaves to lose for a continuing eternity! This DOES NOT HELP...DAMN!

Man alive I'm gonna hear the accolades for months around here now (although they've done SQUAT on the ice ...so far)....arrggh!

NO!!!! WTF is Ottawa doing??? I need the Leaves to lose for a continuing eternity! This DOES NOT HELP...DAMN! Man alive I'm gonna hear the accolades for months around here now (although they've done SQUAT on the ice ...so far)....arrggh!

I assume they're simply making preparations to pay Stamkos every penny of the max salary the CBA allows them to offer.

It may be enough that SS can't turn it down; presumably, the Laffs will offer him at least $2 million per year more than anyone else. But I'm gonna laugh my ass off if he decides he wants to stay in Tampa after all.

Anyone else notice how much MORE Kunitz is throwing his weight around lately? I'm not sure I've seen him so engaged in awhile. ...MAF lookin sharp early....

Well...they have been all over them at times with a good amount of iron ringing...and more than a handfull of quality chances...It is painfully obvious Phil Kessel is not getting the job done on a regular basis at all. He has whiffed on ten times as many that he has deposited in the twine...and in looking up his Corsi number thus far? It's abysmal...worse in his career. 728 and dropping. I would be happy to see Sheary and Wilson get more of his alotted TOI....pathetic.

Didn't help that Sid had a whopping Zero shots on either...these are the games they need to squeak at least a point or 2 out of as we all know....regulation loses are absolute killers...

Last edited:
Well...It is painfully obvious Phil Kessel is not getting the job done on a regular basis at all. He has whiffed on ten times as many that he has deposited in the twine...and in looking up his Corsi number thus far? It's abysmal...worse in his career. 728 and dropping. I would be happy to see Sheary and Wilson get more of his alotted TOI....pathetic.

Two things.....Kessel is garbage. How does a "skilled" NHL winger not bury one of the two great opportunities he had? That PP pass from Crosby was just too easy and he fanned on it. He has 15 goals and should have at least 25. I like his speed. I like him in the offensive zone but if he can't score, he is a liability.

Not sure if it was a coaching decision or not but Sid at the half wall last night on the PP hasn't worked well since last March. Get him back down low.

Two things.....Kessel is garbage. How does a "skilled" NHL winger not bury one of the two great opportunities he had? That PP pass from Crosby was just too easy and he fanned on it. He has 15 goals and should have at least 25. I like his speed. I like him in the offensive zone but if he can't score, he is a liability.

Not sure if it was a coaching decision or not but Sid at the half wall last night on the PP hasn't worked well since last March. Get him back down low.

Cannot argue with you at all here...Sid does need to get lower and Kessel it seems is an enigma...

I do like what I am seeing from Letang a lot more lately...he is jumping up in the play at the appropriate time ...not sure if this has to do with more confidence in his mates or perhaps even himself? I do worry more than ever now however when I see him hacked /whacked or getting hit pretty hard...I swear opposition coaches are telling their plumbers to key in on him and hit him hard...

Hey CM....you up Canada way in your new assignments? If so I owe you a Creemore lager....and if not?.........well I could always head to Cincy for a Yeungling! :wink: Congrats again on the new position....:cool2:

Hey CM....you up Canada way in your new assignments? If so I owe you a Creemore lager....and if not?.........well I could always head to Cincy for a Yeungling! :wink: Congrats again on the new position....:cool2:

Nope, north of the US border is NOT part of my new responsibility (KY, MI, OH, WV only)......so, as you can see, only the Jackets and Wings are in my region (and which means I'm also saying so long permanently to Nashville). Of course, having joined a St Louis-based company, I'll obviously have access to the Blues on trips to HQ, though I don't know if the Company has seats at Scottrade Center (I'm told it has 4 seats in the FIRST row behind the Cardinals dugout at Busch Stadium, though).

Once I get fully broken in......and hopefully develop a little juice with the guy.....I might suggest to my boss he perhaps consider adding some of Southern Ontario (say, Windsor to London) to my territory as an extension of my work in SE Michigan. But given the way my Company is structured in Canada.....and it's a major market for us. ....it's honestly unlikely that will happen.

And worse.......professionally speaking......I might not EVER see Toronto again [crying]

I missed both games last week while I was out of town, but that Rangers result was depressingly familiar. And it appears as though they were extremely fortunate to have left Raleigh with 2 points.

Obviously, the team DESPERATELY needs Geno in the lineup; I understand he could be a game time decision tomorrow night in Sunrise. Fortunately, the Panthers are not playing well right now, especially after the 5-0 ass kicking they took at home by Nashville (and to a backup goaltender, no less).

Of course, you worry they're going to come out flying (and hitting) tomorrow night to wash away the stench from last night's game. And there's that recent blown 3rd period lead/OT loss to the Pens which STILL has to be smarting. Keep an eye out for Yags tomorrow night, who had a decent 6 SO in the last game but wasn't (IMO) all that dangerous.

I'm in Houston tomorrow night, so I'm gonna need you guys to bring this big one home while the rest of the Metro seems to keep winning.....

Last edited:
A couple quick tidbits from the phone before boarding a flight; Geno appears to be a NO GO for tonight in Sunrise, and Roberto Luongo has apparently been benched in favor of Al Montoya.

Euell, you were nice enough to pass along congratulations last week and I neglected to acknowledge your kindness.

I have to say being back to work doesn't feel all that good today; trying to get to Houston, and my flight from Dayton OH thru Charlotte on AA was 1:30 minutes late arriving and I missed my connection to IAH. Making today that much more aggravating is the sheer number of late flights (and cancellations) at CLT. Of course, the flight I missed to IAH left on time right on the friggin' dot.

Might have been the only on time departure at CLT today :chairshot:

Well if you asked me who I'd take in a point blank matchup (at least twice In one night) between Phil freakin Kessel and Al career backup Montoya before this eve I'da taken Phil....as of this minute onward I'll take journeyman Al EVERY TIME!

Well if you asked me who I'd take in a point blank matchup (at least twice In one night) between Phil freakin Kessel and Al career backup Montoya before this eve I'da taken Phil....as of this minute onward I'll take journeyman Al EVERY TIME!
If I didn't know better, I would think you are not a huge fan of 81! LOL!

Admittedly my memory is bad, but I believe Toronto tried to warn us when he was acquired he was a "cull."

I figured an environment where Fat Phil wasn't expected to lead the team in scoring would take all the pressure off and allow him to fill the cage. Boy was I wrong.

Well in Phil's history up this way.......I can remember Leaf fans as apprehensive when Burke made the deal that effectively equated to Seguin and down the road Hamilton. But he (fairly quickly) won them over in his first few years. He was every bit the sniper as advertised, opponents had their head on a swivel looking for him, and Leaf fans lauded him...
But then and from what I recall right around the time of Ronnie Wilson's departure he started declining slowly, he also suffered the all star snub of being picked last by his fellow players (which Imo was an ill concieved concept by the league) I imagine this could have some sort of effect on a players psyche? Imo Wilson was the ONLY one who could get true production out of Kessel...he was on his ass ALL THE TIME. Needless to say he quickly became the local whipping boy...
The last few years the out of shape factor has been a LARGE part of the issue.

Ya know it's funny...while I was watching the 3 on 3 Monday night it was PHIL that had his head on a swivel, not engaging in the play and quite frankly looking lost out there.
It is truly amazing how such a highly skilled player has fallen off so badly. Years ago I honestly thought this guy could be the next Brett Hull (although Brett was slightly different, he just simply knew exactly where to be on the ice at any given time), the last few years his name is not even in the same stratosphere as a Hull....
You're right Euell , I was no fan of the trade for #81(I remember cursing a lot that day, lol), likely some of which has to do with the verbal jabs directed my way and taken from Leaf asshats when GMJR did the deed...thankfully Jimmy has made a few deals since which do look better.

So....now the question. Can you trade Phil Kessel to free up money? I doubt it seriously....could you trade Phil Kessel and take a chance on somebody else's headache/ bad contracts? Maybe....

Oh....and one more thing....Jimmy....erase that Leaf phone number from your speed dial....there is NOTHING to see up here...move along PLEASE!!!!

Last edited:
Nope, north of the US border is NOT part of my new responsibility (KY, MI, OH, WV only)......so, as you can see, only the Jackets and Wings are in my region (and which means I'm also saying so long permanently to Nashville). Of course, having joined a St Louis-based company, I'll obviously have access to the Blues on trips to HQ, though I don't know if the Company has seats at Scottrade Center (I'm told it has 4 seats in the FIRST row behind the Cardinals dugout at Busch Stadium, though).

Once I get fully broken in......and hopefully develop a little juice with the guy.....I might suggest to my boss he perhaps consider adding some of Southern Ontario (say, Windsor to London) to my territory as an extension of my work in SE Michigan. But given the way my Company is structured in Canada.....and it's a major market for us. ....it's honestly unlikely that will happen.

And worse.......professionally speaking......I might not EVER see Toronto again [crying]
That would be cool to see your Pirates while in St. Louis I'm sure! Not to mention the possibility of seeing some live hockey action there...I'd be curious to know what the going rate is for Blues tickets actually?

Too bad about the Toronto trips in the future, perhaps as you mention you may see that Southern Ontario again In the future...
As per many folks thoughts on this here board and elsewhere throughout the States...I myself am not particularly enamoured with Toronto too much. Now of course this likely has something to do with the fact I'm downtown Monday to Fri, and the traffic...just maddening! But I find as compared to any number of other major cities across North America Toronto has gone out of it's way to destroy it's history in the name of 'progress'...more and more steel and glass condo's going up every day which I suppose give the city a real lived in feel...but at the expense of some real historic places / buildings. I suppose one good thing I can say about it is, for a major city the tree canopy is quite prolific.
I'm actually (electrically) co-ordinating another major park project featuring a large fountain right next door to 'The Flat Iron Building' downtown...if you've heard of it? It's actually one of the few beautiful and unique structures left in the city from the past...

Now as for cities I do love? It gets a fair amount of imo unjustified flack on the board but...Pittsburgh. I have absolutely loved every trip there and how the city has been able to almost re-invent itself while maintaining some of its Steeltown character. I suppose the confluence of those 3 rivers, the multiple bridges and being surrounded by hills helps, although maybe not for traffic lol...
Others on my list would be San Fran, Boston, NOLA, Montreal, and maybe surprising to some Indianapolis . I was amazed at how efficiently traffic flowed there, especially when 2-300,000 are exiting after an Indy 500! But I guess a city built in the round with multiple entry/exit points has that advantage...
CM ,my bro in law was down in Cincy last year I think for a Reds/Jays game an raved about your neck of the woods, says I should definitely put it on my list somehow for a future visit...a lot of history and architecture still in tact there or no?

Anyway enough random ramblings from me for now....let's hope the Pens can right the ship here again. Things are especially tight and will likely stay that way down the stretch here...I'd like them to hit Buffalo with a win or 2 under their belt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT