ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins should go after Marchand next July

bEER_Nation13

All-American
Mar 2, 2012
I hope Marchand goes to FA, I think Penguins could be a serious candidate to land him and I would be thrilled.

No cap space unless they move Geno, which I suppose is possible at some point. But if he's not worth his salary to the Pens, he's not going to worth his salary to anyone else, either. And even if they find a trading partner, they're going to have to take back some salary to make the deal geometry work.

And all that's aside the fact the declining B's pretty much HAVE to resign Marchand at the mimimum $6.5-7.0 million (though I'm sure he's currently holding out for something approaching $8 million) he can probably get at his age. In other words, Marchand isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
He's a 'nice' (well not really, but you get the drift), little player but my inclination is to avoid him at the number he will want over a long term. Especially at 30 years old on a 5ft9" frame playing the game the way he does on the edge....Now...if the Pens could trade for him close to deadline (imo a distinct possibility) on a rental basis? I like that option a lot...

Ah, to me, his size isn't that big of a deal. Kane, Johnny Hockey, etc aren't big guys. NHL is changing from physicality to speed and finesse with D-men playing big roles with offense by jumping in with rushes.

Ah, to me, his size isn't that big of a deal. Kane, Johnny Hockey, etc aren't big guys. NHL is changing from physicality to speed and finesse with D-men playing big roles with offense by jumping in with rushes.
Oh I agree bEER...I would just rather somebody a bit younger with his demeanor...likely not easy to find, have to hope we've got one in the system, or the current young guns keep progressing imo.

After his performance in the WCH, it won't surprise me at all if Marchand and the B's end up hammering out his new contract now before the season starts. It's going to cost the B's more money than they want to pay; but it's going to represent their acknowledgement that Marchand has the hammer right now (and is in a position to use it).

Plus, the B's need to generate some positive news in-house, especially considering the controversy their new bonus baby (Dave Backes) self-created with Kessel in the aftermath of the US abortion in the WCH.

I saw THN's FB entry early yesterday morning (before I read bEER's post) with their supposition that Marchand could target the Penguins as an FA based on his WCS success playing with Sid. While it's easy enough to see that in the abstract, the fact of the matter is that BM has also been paired in the WCH with Patrice Bergeron with whom he scored the 37 goals last year.

Now, like his act or not, Marchand is a pretty reliable 25 goal guy over a typical 82 game season; but it's still too early to know if last season represented his move into a different stratosphere......or was an accident. But Bergeron is obviously a pretty good center, and I'm honestly not sure Marchand has that much more upside in Pittsburgh playing with Sid, especially since Sid is probably looking at the goal more as a Penguin than he might be on TC.

Even though I stand by my thoughts he may very well re-up before Opening Night, it's possible he rolls the dice to see if he can score another 35 goals. Like him or not, 70 goals in 2 years may very well earn him 7 years/$56 million, which (IMO) would still be a pretty risky move for someone outside Boston. Regardless, Marchand remains this generation's Ulf Samuelsson; you adore him when he's wearing your sweater, and want him dead if he's wearing someone else's.

But aside my previous comments, the additional fact he's a career Bruin makes it (IMO) far more unlikely that he leaves Boston.

Pens should have money to spend next year in FA.

Fleury will or at least should be traded sometime between now and end of season. Kunitz will be off the books. Duper will finally be off the books. Scuderi's contract will finally be off books as Penguins are still retaining some money there.

Dumoulin needs to be extended a contract but I wouldn't pay him anything more than $3.25 million/year unless his offense magically improves. Shut down defenseman but I'm not breaking the bank unless the guy can contribute on offense too.

Big X Factor to how much $$$ the Pens will have next year is Nick Bonino. He's going to cost around 4-4.5ish million per year. If they extend him, then chances of signing someone like Marchand decreases. But if they don't sign him, they will have money to make a splash in FA.

One we shouldn't forget fellas is Daley...he is up after this year and his current cap hit is 3.3 I believe...he's gonna want at least 4 (which personally I'd have no problem giving were it my dough), and he's got that offensive upside we need bEER . Dumoulin imo grew as a player big time this year. I value his defensive abilities at 4 to 4.5 ...guys with arms as long as trees with decent skating ability don't grow on trees.

Marchand would no doubt be a great addition...the sandpaper every team covets , however still don't want to assume the term and $ value he will command. I ask myself this also...would the Hawks who let's face it are run like a well oiled machine over the last 5 years with similar star power as the Pens sign him long term? Imo no they would not...

More steals like the Kuhnhackl, and Rust signings by GMJR and crew are what's needed to keep things on track for the future. What forethought that was...

. No way I would give him 8 years. Then again, I wouldn't sign a FA to 8 years unless their name is McDavid, Benn, Ovechkin, etc. But it's understandable for Boston to give that many years since he's their guy, been there entire career if I'm not mistaken. He's also the 2nd face of that franchise behind Bergeron.

One we shouldn't forget fellas is Daley...he is up after this year and his current cap hit is 3.3 I believe...he's gonna want at least 4 (which personally I'd have no problem giving were it my dough), and he's got that offensive upside we need bEER . Dumoulin imo grew as a player big time this year. I value his defensive abilities at 4 to 4.5 ...guys with arms as long as trees with decent skating ability don't grow on trees.

Marchand would no doubt be a great addition...the sandpaper every team covets , however still don't want to assume the term and $ value he will command. I ask myself this also...would the Hawks who let's face it are run like a well oiled machine over the last 5 years with similar star power as the Pens sign him long term? Imo no they would not...

More steals like the Kuhnhackl, and Rust signings by GMJR and crew are what's needed to keep things on track for the future. What forethought that was...

Hopefully Pouliot can improve this year and show he's Daley replacement. Would save money and would be nice to see Pouliot finally get going. Lot of hype surrounding him past few days since camp started. From everything I read, he's much leaner and looks very quick on ice.

Oh, my first chance to inform everyone that (re: Marchand) I told you so :wink:

All things considered, the deal looks about right to me; he picks up little better than a modest annualized raise.....a little north of $1.5 million/season.....but gets the 8-year (not 7, as I mistakenly posted originally) guarantee in return for not forcing the Bruins' hand from a salary standpoint. Assuming BM doesn't get hurt, I suspect this contract.....unlike some......will end up being viewed fairly positively by most observers over its term.

It'll help if he continues to average 25 goals a season, though his play in the WCH gives me reason now to think his big 2015/16 season may not have been an aberration. What'll be interesting to see is whether his new leadership role......which comes kind-of part and parcel with the big new contract.....affects his traditional cheap-shot style.

He was a damned good player in the WCH without playing it that way (though the regular season admittedly is a different game). But the declining B's would seem to need him on the ice far more than in the box.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT