ADVERTISEMENT

Penguins 50th anniversary video is really well done

Original Mountaineer1

Heisman Winner
Aug 27, 2001
I wish they would have included a piece on Mike Lange and long-time arena announcer John Barbarro. I really do believe my passion for the sport can be directly attributed to Lange. As a kid in the mid 70's I can't tell you how many games I listened to on KDKA AM radio. Lange brought the game alive for me as I am sure he did with every generation of fans prior to his demotion to radio several years ago. I can remember being near tears listening to the radio when the Islanders won game 7 of that dreadful series in 1975. And who will ever forget John Barbarro calling Mario Lemieux's name after a goal. And a few minutes to long time arena organist Vince Laschied would have been cool too.

Otherwise a great video for those who haven't seen it.

Last edited:
I with they would have included a piece on Mike Lange and long-time arena announcer John Barbarro. I really do believe my passion for the sport can be directly attributed to Lange. As a kid in the mid 70's I can't tell you how many games I listened to on KDKA AM radio. Lange brought the game alive for me as I am sure he did with every generation of fans prior to his demotion to radio several years ago. I can remember being near tears listening to the radio when the Islanders won game 7 of that dreadful series in 1975. And who will ever forget John Barbarro calling Mario Lemieux's name after a goal. And a few minutes to long time arena organist Vince Laschied would have been cool too.

Otherwise a great video for those who haven't seen it.

And I forgot, they didn't show the GWG scored by the Wrecking Ball in the 91 Eastern Finals against Boston. I attended that game and that was the loudest I ever heard the arena. I am sure it was overshadowed by the noise of Lemieux's goal in game 1 of the 92 finals but I wasn't there. The Staal shorthanded goal in 2009 game 4 was probably the 2nd loudest I ever heard that arena. What a grand stage for watching hockey.......

Reactions: torontoeers
I watched Part 1 last night, and it WAS good.

Seeing Mike Lange talk about arriving in 1974 got me to thinking about announcers before him. Ed Conway, the old WTAE-TV sports guy (and who was shown in the piece taking about the new team playing in the Civic Arena) was, I think, their first PBP guy.

I remember a guy named Bill Hamilton doing PBP for a short time a few years later, followed by Jim Forney and then Joe Starkey (who might have left the Pens after a year or two to do MLB out west). Sam Nover, the old WIIC sports guy did TV PBP in the 70s with former Pens publicist Terry Schiffauer.

I learned more about Michel Briere (who played just before I started following the team) in the piece than I ever knew. As tragic as his loss was, I was always surprised as a youngster how little his admittedly short history with the team was publicized locally. I had no idea he was a 78 goal guy in juniors; no wonder he had a good reputation.

I distinctly remember how Briere's jersey was framed and hung in the Igloo Club at the Arena. I wasn't a member; it was clearly visible through the entry door from the concourse as you walked by, and I always made a point to look for it.

ADVERTISEMENT