ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Pat White joins staff at Alcorn

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
College Football Sensation Pat White Joins Alcorn Staff as Quarterbacks Coach
LORMAN, Miss. – A dream come true for both sides unites the Alcorn State University football program with its new quarterbacks coach Pat White, head coach Fred McNair announced.

White, a former West Virginia University superstar, quarterbacked the Mountaineers to a 42-9 record in four years. He was second all-time in total yardage from scrimmage with 10,529 yards and rushed for a then collegiate record of 4,480 yards. White rushed for 47 touchdowns and threw for 56 and is the only player in Big East history to ever account for over 100 touchdowns from any position.

“I’ve always dreamed of being on the sidelines at an HBCU school. I grew up on HBCU sports and both of my parents went to HBCU schools. For me growing up, it was always HBCU all-day, every day,” White said. “I went to college with, and graduated with Coach [Ryan] Stanchek and we were very successful as teammates at WVU. The goal for me is to come here to Alcorn and win championships.”

WVNews reported that White is arguably the best quarterback to ever play at WVU. He’s a two-time Big East Player of the Year winner and was a Heisman candidate in both 2007 and 2008.

“Pat is going to be a great addition for us. He’s been on campus and has gotten a chance to meet some of the student-athletes already and will be a great mentor and coach for them,” McNair said. “I know Pat is excited to be here and he’ll help us both coaching and recruiting. We’re very happy to have him and we know he’ll make a big impact for our program.”

White and Alcorn’s Offensive Coordinator Ryan Stanchek were teammates at WVU from 2004 to 2008, playing on four winning bowl teams. It included BCS victories in the 2006 Sugar Bowl and the 2008 Fiesta Bowl. Stanchek was an offensive lineman that blocked for White.

“Being a former teammate, Pat’s leadership, toughness and competitiveness were unmatched on the field. Pat White is a winner,” Stanchek said. “I’m excited for Pat to share his knowledge with our quarterbacks and our football team. Coach McNair hit a grand slam with this hire.”

After graduating from WVU, White was drafted in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins. He later played professionally with the Virginia Destroyers in the United Football League, the Washington Redskins and the Edmonton Eskimos in the Canadian Football League from 2011-14.

White played stints in professional baseball as an outfielder with the Anaheim Angels and in the minor leagues with the Kansas City Royals and Miami Marlins.

A native of Daphne, Alabama, White rushed for 1,905 and 31 touchdowns his senior year at Daphne HS while passing for 1,488 yards and 15 touchdowns. He also won two state championships as both a pitcher and outfielder in baseball.

I loved White's career and I'm a big fan but I have lost some respect for him with some of the things he's said over the last few years.

I loved White's career and I'm a big fan but I have lost some respect for him with some of the things he's said over the last few years.

I wanted to say this as well, but we have some very skeptical people of DH and over the liberal nature, so I held back.

Good Luck to White.

I personally don't think he makes a good coach. I may very well be wrong but I don't think he has the staying power as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT