ADVERTISEMENT

PAC12 sets record for worst bowl season by P5 conf

The Utah Utes. I still can’t believe we lost to a team that has a great and storied past such as them.

Of course, the nattering nabobs of negativity will be saying bowl results have no bearing on comparing conferences. The same posters who jumped all over the Big 12 when it had a bad bowl season. Double standards?

Reactions: Charleston Mountie
The Utah Utes. I still can’t believe we lost to a team that has a great and storied past such as them.
The loss to Utah in Dana’s 7th year should be the final straw for most similar programs. A 6-6 team recently removed from mid major status with less resources and recruiting consisting of recruiting classes ranking in the 80-100’s annually. No excuse.

Of course, the nattering nabobs of negativity will be saying bowl results have no bearing on comparing conferences. The same posters who jumped all over the Big 12 when it had a bad bowl season. Double standards?
You spent most of this time last year going on rants that Ohio state should'nt have played in the playoff do to not winning its conference. You called it a great injustice. Its funny you haven't said a word about Alabama this season. Why is that because you live in Ohio? If you were the objective sportwriter you claim to be then why don't mention that 5 pac 12 bowl teams lost by double digits. The one pac 12 team that won would'nt have been in a bowl game had the big 10 had enough qualified bowl teams.

You spent most of this time last year going on rants that Ohio state should'nt have played in the playoff do to not winning its conference. You called it a great injustice. Its funny you haven't said a word about Alabama this season. Why is that because you live in Ohio? If you were the objective sportwriter you claim to be then why don't mention that 5 pac 12 bowl teams lost by double digits. The one pac 12 team that won would'nt have been in a bowl game had the big 10 had enough qualified bowl teams.

One glaring difference this year is the the SEC champ did make it in. Alabama is clearly one of the top 4 teams. Ohio State last year was not a clear cut top 4 team but then nobody else was either.

One glaring difference this year is the the SEC champ did make it in. Alabama is clearly one of the top 4 teams. Ohio State last year was not a clear cut top 4 team but then nobody else was either.
Yes but alabama is not a conference champion and he kept obsessing over this. Alabama may be a top 4 team and they may not be. The sec has not performed well in Bowl games and the big 10 is 7-0.

The loss to Utah in Dana’s 7th year should be the final straw for most similar programs. A 6-6 team recently removed from mid major status with less resources and recruiting consisting of recruiting classes ranking in the 80-100’s annually. No excuse.
No excuse--just a host o REASONS (for those having the mental capability and willingness to assess FACTS before blowing off steam. I know, this opportunity to bash Dana and the staff is just too juicy to avoid for those whose major emphasis is to persist in this endeavor. Our team in the bowl little resembled the TEAM we had seen earlier in the season! PERIOD, and please don't fall back on the worn out 'the coach should have had back ups ready to play'. Only those who refuse to engage in adult thinking would resurrect such a tired attack mode , realizing that few teams in the NCAA could remove so many key cogs and still be able to perform at even near the level when these were available. Resorting to such infantile arguments further emphasizes the lack of reasoning ability possessed buy this negative crowd. Hardly the mark of true, loyal, supportive fans.

What? They haven't ever been that low. They're usually in the 30-50 range.

No excuse--just a host o REASONS (for those having the mental capability and willingness to assess FACTS before blowing off steam. I know, this opportunity to bash Dana and the staff is just too juicy to avoid for those whose major emphasis is to persist in this endeavor. Our team in the bowl little resembled the TEAM we had seen earlier in the season! PERIOD, and please don't fall back on the worn out 'the coach should have had back ups ready to play'. Only those who refuse to engage in adult thinking would resurrect such a tired attack mode , realizing that few teams in the NCAA could remove so many key cogs and still be able to perform at even near the level when these were available. Resorting to such infantile arguments further emphasizes the lack of reasoning ability possessed buy this negative crowd. Hardly the mark of true, loyal, supportive fans.
What does your adult thinking have to say about getting stomped by a 6-6 pac 12 team? Va tech was missing some key compenants of their team. They played a much better team and hung in to the 4th quarter. What would this team have been without grier? The guy has been here 7 years and the depth on the Oline and QB postions is disgaceful. Tell us what your adult thinking has to say about that.

I am one of those that dislikes the current system, they layout a criteria and then add the clause at the end, "but we will do whatever we want." That turns the selection into a beauty contest.

If you can't win your conference, you are out of the selection pool.

You misunderstand, this is not about this instance; this instance is merely an exclamation point on a body of work that had never reason above mediocrity and seems to be trending to Kansas level. That's wonderful in basketball, not in football. Anyone can coach a team into the ground, the money we spend on this staff is being throw into the dumpster...we are getting nothing for our money and it has been obvious to some of us after year one.

Yes but alabama is not a conference champion and he kept obsessing over this. Alabama may be a top 4 team and they may not be. The sec has not performed well in Bowl games and the big 10 is 7-0.
The SEC is top heavy. The top half of their teams have yet to play. While Alabama is not a conference champ but neither was Ohio State last year. The fact that they got stomp at home by OU and boat raced by Iowa proves they are not a top 4 team. They were not last year but who was the 4th team? The playoffs will expand in the next several years now that the 10+4 was left out.

Donald Trump write your material for you? I said that no team should be in the national playoffs that doesn't even play in its conference title game, INCLUDING ALABAMA. But, of course, you would call that "fake news." D.T. loves people like you.

Donald Trump write your material for you? I said that no team should be in the national playoffs that doesn't even play in its conference title game, INCLUDING ALABAMA. But, of course, you would call that "fake news." D.T. loves people like you.
Lmao Looks like you’re a journalist homer as well, taking up for your old media pals. Donald Trump calls it like it is. Maybe that means you supposed “paid experts” need to up your game and research before you write ridiculous misinformation. It is fake news.

Donald Trump

OK Cuyahoga we get it. You are a journalism poser who cries out to be seen as "an expert". You think the "funny papers" are real news.You scream in bold red letters your deep need for attention. You believe being a "real fan" means accepting mediocrity in the football program. You have a man crush on DH. You still love HC because she "deserved to be POTUS." You hate Trump because you secretly wish you were a 20 something and want to be cool and hip. Or, maybe you a phony all the way around lol.

You misunderstand, this is not about this instance; this instance is merely an exclamation point on a body of work that had never reason above mediocrity and seems to be trending to Kansas level. That's wonderful in basketball, not in football. Anyone can coach a team into the ground, the money we spend on this staff is being throw into the dumpster...we are getting nothing for our money and it has been obvious to some of us after year one.
I hear you but do not agree. I look at the improvements made since the Stewart era. A very major one is competing in a conference with a pulse rather than the Big East. despite the comments by know nothing media the Big XII is among the toughest conferences--top to bottom-- in D1. No one is going to run away with the conference year in and year out, so the 'fake media' looks at simple stats and draw idiotic conclusions.
Our recruiting is so much better that before. We currently have one of the top 4 or 5 abs ever in the program. we have another that might be nearly as good in the wings. we have the best WR corps we have ever assembled (going 4 or 5 deep).
So, I do not see the rationale for the brutal attacks on Dana. He did not fall into a bed of roses when he replaced Bill Stewart and has done well to move upward under tough circumstances. The coach cannot control injuries, and to think programs generally have back ups that are ready to step in as replacement with little to no fall off is foolish thinking. Losing Grier was a paramount blow to the team. To ride Dana about his recruiting of HS QBs is also without real merit. Recruiting is one thing; signing and then see them develop as expected, based on multiple factors seen during HS, is quite another. Childress and Crest were both highly thought of as HS players. we were delighted to get both. It's similar to expecting a 9 year old who is nearly 12 inches taller than the average for his age to become an athletic 7 foot BB player. Growth spurts occur with different kids at different ages. The one may plateau at 6'2" or so. Do we blame someone for this 'failure'; to reach expectations? Can a coach predict, ACCURATELY, how well a kid will mature and improve skills after HS? Yet there is the expectation that they can. Look at all the HS kids brought in and why they did not attain your expectations. We have had a good run of transfers and that, too, will dissuade HS kids who expect to start at the top and rapidly work their way UP.
Come on--get real and be reasonable with expectations and, subsequent, criticisms.

Yet, the A.P. and Coaches Poll agreed with the CFP that Ohio State was the third best team in the Country, and Vegas established Ohio State as the favorite over Clemson. Ohio State belonged last season, just like Alabama belongs this season. Both had CFP resumes, and only one loss.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
who don't you take your stupid politics to the other board....seriously, sports should be a place where we can all escape that bullshit.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

Why are the bowl games considered as a comparison for conferences? I just don't see it.

Why are the bowl games considered as a comparison for conferences? I just don't see it.
People only use bowl records when it suits their agenda. Like so many other things. One thing to remember this year is that the Big 12 did it even though it would have to face Big 10 and Pac-12 teams who were on level above them in the pecking order because Oklahoma is in the national playoffs and the Big 10 and Pac-12 do not have teams in the national playoffs. That makes the Big 12 record even more impressive. And the Pac-12 even more embarrassing.

If you ignore the obvious completely, but you cant.

Well you spent most of the offseason going on about how Ohio state didnt deserve a playoff spot because they weren't a conference champion. You started one thread after another on the topic but haven't said a word about it until you were called out on your hypocrisy.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
People only use bowl records when it suits their agenda. Like so many other things. One thing to remember this year is that the Big 12 did it even though it would have to face Big 10 and Pac-12 teams who were on level above them in the pecking order because Oklahoma is in the national playoffs and the Big 10 and Pac-12 do not have teams in the national playoffs. That makes the Big 12 record even more impressive. And the Pac-12 even more embarrassing.
Wvu's loss to a 6-6 pac 12 team looks even more embarrassing by your logic.

I hear you but do not agree. I look at the improvements made since the Stewart era. A very major one is competing in a conference with a pulse rather than the Big East. despite the comments by know nothing media the Big XII is among the toughest conferences--top to bottom-- in D1. No one is going to run away with the conference year in and year out, so the 'fake media' looks at simple stats and draw idiotic conclusions.
Our recruiting is so much better that before. We currently have one of the top 4 or 5 abs ever in the program. we have another that might be nearly as good in the wings. we have the best WR corps we have ever assembled (going 4 or 5 deep).
So, I do not see the rationale for the brutal attacks on Dana. He did not fall into a bed of roses when he replaced Bill Stewart and has done well to move upward under tough circumstances. The coach cannot control injuries, and to think programs generally have back ups that are ready to step in as replacement with little to no fall off is foolish thinking. Losing Grier was a paramount blow to the team. To ride Dana about his recruiting of HS QBs is also without real merit. Recruiting is one thing; signing and then see them develop as expected, based on multiple factors seen during HS, is quite another. Childress and Crest were both highly thought of as HS players. we were delighted to get both. It's similar to expecting a 9 year old who is nearly 12 inches taller than the average for his age to become an athletic 7 foot BB player. Growth spurts occur with different kids at different ages. The one may plateau at 6'2" or so. Do we blame someone for this 'failure'; to reach expectations? Can a coach predict, ACCURATELY, how well a kid will mature and improve skills after HS? Yet there is the expectation that they can. Look at all the HS kids brought in and why they did not attain your expectations. We have had a good run of transfers and that, too, will dissuade HS kids who expect to start at the top and rapidly work their way UP.
Come on--get real and be reasonable with expectations and, subsequent, criticisms.
Maybe you should get real. We lost to a 6-6 team from the worst conference in the power 5.

The SEC is top heavy. The top half of their teams have yet to play. While Alabama is not a conference champ but neither was Ohio State last year. The fact that they got stomp at home by OU and boat raced by Iowa proves they are not a top 4 team. They were not last year but who was the 4th team? The playoffs will expand in the next several years now that the 10+4 was left out.
The committe chose Alabama because they had the best record of the teams available. Ohio State was chosen for the same reason Last year. Regardless of the results they made the right decision.

Maybe you should get real. We lost to a 6-6 team from the worst conference in the power 5.
I don’t know how or why fans keep making excuses for Dana. We lost to 6-6 Utah for god sakes. And we lost by a blowout. I’m not sure we would’ve won even if we had Grier. Are these people trying to tell us Utah is better than the old big east? Let’s be realistic. Utah has had better teams as a mid major than this team this year.

Last edited:
I don’t know how or why fans keep making excuses for Dana. We lost to 6-6 Utah for god sakes. And we lost by a blowout. I’m not sure we would’ve won even if we had Grier. Are these people trying to tell us Utah is better than the old big east? Let’s be realistic. Utah has had better teams as a mid major than this team this year.
This year's Utah team was one of the worst teams they have had in a decade. They were 6-6 in a conference that went 1-8 in bowl games. 5 of the pac 12 schools lost their bowl games by double digits. I don't get how were being unreasonable for questioning the coachs competence after that performance. I don't think we would have won that game with Grier. We got physically manhandled and were unprepared to play physically and mentally. who's job is to make sure the team is ready to play?

This year's Utah team was one of the worst teams they have had in a decade. They were 6-6 in a conference that went 1-8 in bowl games. 5 of the pac 12 schools lost their bowl games by double digits. I don't get how were being unreasonable for questioning the coachs competence after that performance. I don't think we would have won that game with Grier. We got physically manhandled and were unprepared to play physically and mentally. who's job is to make sure the team is ready to play?
The truth is, it’s not because of lack of talent. If there’s one thing Dana is good at, it’s recruiting minus quarterback. For a program putting the 2nd most players into the nfl by the big 12, I expect better than 7-5 seasons.

Utah fan here who lives in Big XII country - I come in peace. For what it's worth, I do think that this year's Utah team was probably better than their record, albeit not a great team. They had two bad losses their year - 1 to Oregon and 1 to Arizona State - but they did lose close ones to USC (1 point), Washington (3 points), Stanford (3 points) and Washington State (8 points - so only semi-close). They lost fair and square, but had a ball or two bounced differently they could have had wins against at least three teams who went to major bowls.

The Utes spent a lot of the season waiting for the OL to gel and they seemed to play somewhat better near the end of the year. Also, the QB (Huntley) was a first time starter this season and either missed a few games due to injuries or was playing at less than 100%. So some games the Utes had better offense than others. I'd say the WVU game Ute offense performed only so-so (the Mountaineers did a good job of getting some good rushes).

The Utah defense is usually the best group of the team. The DL you saw was probably the healthiest its been in weeks (the bowl game prep time allowed for some guys to get healthy). It seemed to me that more often than not they were winning at the line of scrimmage during the bowl game (I realize that WVU was missing linemen). The Utes were playing without 4 other defensive starters for the bowl game - both starting safeties, their best LB, and a CB.

I would have liked to have seen how the Utes looked against Grier. They'd played a lot of good QBs in the Pac-12 this year (Darnold, Rosen, Browning and Falk) so I think it would have been a good challenge.

Historically, this season was middle-of-the-road for the program since joining the PAC 12, in my opinion. There were two years in a row a few years back when had only 5 wins. The program is not upper-tier Pac-12, but I'd say they're middle-tier. They have probably top 3 facilities in the conference and have more players in the NFL than all other conference teams except USC and Cal (http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...most-represented-2017-nfl-opening-day-rosters). For perspective, the only Big XII team with more players on opening day NFL rosters was Oklahoma. The Utes are good at finding diamonds in the rough and then developing them into quality NFL players (e.g., Steve Smith, Alex Smith, Eric Weddle, Devonte Booker, etc.)

Anyway, good luck next year. All of the WVU fans I met at the bowl game were complimentary and good sports despite the weather and final score.

Last edited:
I am one of those that dislikes the current system, they layout a criteria and then add the clause at the end, "but we will do whatever we want." That turns the selection into a beauty contest.

If you can't win your conference, you are out of the selection pool.

There isn't any set criteria. People seem to keep forgetting this. The only rule is to pick the "4 best teams," whatever that means. The criteria like conference championships or strength of schedule are only tie-breakers when two teams are considered to be equal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT