ADVERTISEMENT

Outside WR transfer available immediately

mdeer1

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 10, 2002
One we offered in 2011

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse wide receiver Quinta Funderburk has been granted his release by the university and is looking to transfer to use his final season of eligibility.

Funderburk's high school coach at Oscar Smith in Virginia, Richard Morgan, said Tuesday that his former wide receiver approached him in mid-February looking to leave Syracuse.

"He's got his release from the school," Morgan said. "He's got one year left to play. He still wants to play, and I want him to have that moment. He was a good player for us. Hopefully we're going to be able to find that fit."

Funderburk, 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, initially signed with Arkansas as a four-star wide receiver but did not play in his first year. He transferred to SU, but struggled to reach fan expectations as a member of the Orange.

He had three catches for 50 yards in 2013, and did not have a reception in eight games played last year despite SU's use of a heavy rotation at wide receiver. His lack of production was a constant topic of conversation for Syracuse fans who were once enamored with his potential out of high school.

Morgan said he didn't discuss Funderburk's reasons for transfer in depth, but playing time would have been a struggle in his final season at Syracuse. He is still attending classes at SU.

"We really didn't talk about it," Morgan said. "It's hard. Once they're out of your area, you don't really get those daily updates."

Nether Funderburk nor a Syracuse spokesperson could be reached immediately for confirmation.

Morgan said that Funderburk is on track to graduate from Syracuse in May, which would allow him to play his final year as a graduate student and without sitting out a transfer season. Former Syracuse safety Jaston George, who also attended Oscar Smith, followed a similar path and landed at Hampton, an FCS school near Funderburk's home in Virginia.

"We haven't really discussed schools," Morgan said. "We've put it out there. I tell guys coming through that I have a guy who wants to play one year. When schools come in to recruit guys in April and May, when they're here, I'll tell them I have a guy. So Quinta knows, I've told him, it might be May or June before we find a spot."
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News