ADVERTISEMENT

OU and Texas to B1G when GOR ends

I have a bit different take on the future of college football TV contracts.

Just as WVU and Louisville were able to land in a P5 conference - and leave Cincinnati, UConn, East Carolina on the outside... I could imagine the next round could leave the majority of universities on the outside.

Instead of 5 conferences contracting to 4 - with WVU getting left out, why wouldn't the biggest ($$) athletic departments form a super league and just take all the money?
The league (not conference) would have - maybe just Ohio St, LSU, Alabama, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, and maybe 3 or 4 others. Those 10 or 12 teams would be the NFL of college football and get all of the TV contracts.
90% of universities can't compete with the budget of Texas or OhState athletic depts.
-Winter Tim
They would also have to leave the NCAA. The reason the P5 schools are able to get their way within the NCAA is because they form a larger voting block than the G5 schools. If you think back to when Miami, VT, BC, Cuse, & Pitt left for the ACC there was a question as to whether or not the Big East would lose its BCS automatic bid. How was the BE able to keep the bid? Because if the BE lost it’s bid then the voting block of those schools without an auto bid would have been bigger than the schools with an auto bid.

WVU will not be left out.

This is where the story came from.
Then the guy made 15+ tweets attempting to prove why his original tweet may happen.
But he was wrong on about five of them

No shittt idiot that’s where the thread came from. You’re so dumb you hit yourself over the head. What’s funny is you don’t realize it. The other thing that is funny is you lied about living in Florida haha and you never heard of Naples haha.

They would also have to leave the NCAA. The reason the P5 schools are able to get their way within the NCAA is because they form a larger voting block than the G5 schools. If you think back to when Miami, VT, BC, Cuse, & Pitt left for the ACC there was a question as to whether or not the Big East would lose its BCS automatic bid. How was the BE able to keep the bid? Because if the BE lost it’s bid then the voting block of those schools without an auto bid would have been bigger than the schools with an auto bid.

WVU will not be left out.

NCAA has zero say....

The reason CFB is P5 is because the NCAA loss the TV rights to CFB.

NCAA makes zero cents off of CFB and only really has any say over student athlete matters.

No shittt idiot that’s where the thread came from. You’re so dumb you hit yourself over the head. What’s funny is you don’t realize it. The other thing that is funny is you lied about living in Florida haha and you never heard of Naples haha.

Never said I lived in Florida.
Said I lived on the Gulf Coast. Gulf Coast touches five states.

Raycom is not part of the ACC network. Raycom's rights to ACC games were repurchased to start the network.

I see that Raycom is out after July.
Thought they still has their hand in there.

The ACC network needs to be a Tier 1 channel throughout the ACC.
If it is it can have success.
Don't know the cable companies in New England and New York.

I think Eastern PA into Maryland is Comcast and Comcast will be the major issue.

Comcast was trying to force out the B1G.
The LHN is not even on Comcast because of their demands.
Even with that if Comcast makes the ACC network a Tier 2 or 3 channel they could have issues

I see that Raycom is out after July.
Thought they still has their hand in there.

The ACC network needs to be a Tier 1 channel throughout the ACC.
If it is it can have success.
Don't know the cable companies in New England and New York.

I think Eastern PA into Maryland is Comcast and Comcast will be the major issue.

Comcast was trying to force out the B1G.
The LHN is not even on Comcast because of their demands.
Even with that if Comcast makes the ACC network a Tier 2 or 3 channel they could have issues

The negotiations with the cable channels have already taken place.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Regarding this topic.

This is a great map to describe why Texas would tell the B1G...no
rust-belt-map1.jpg

All the jobs and people are moving South and West.

The people in Southern California had this belief .
If the Mayflower landed there the rest of the country would be empty.

Texas is not going to attach themselves to a bunch of dying states.
Only state that is not dying is New Jersey.
The rest are all in a slow steady decline.

Regarding this topic.

This is a great map to describe why Texas would tell the B1G...no

All the jobs and people are moving South and West.

The people in Southern California had this belief .
If the Mayflower landed there the rest of the country would be empty.

Texas is not going to attach themselves to a bunch of dying states.
Only state that is not dying is New Jersey.
The rest are all in a slow steady decline.

Texas and Oklahoma aren't going to the Big Ten for a variety of reasons, mostly because this is an internet rumor. You would be better off sticking with that, instead of attempting to build an equally ridiculous argument, also based primarily on internet rumors.

Texas and Oklahoma to B10, look at the source of all this info/rumors are coming from. All I read and see is Bull Sh!t. It's the time of the year once again all these BS rumors and fake news has to hit the internet poster boards, sports blogs, and Twitter postings. All speculation and BS.

All the jobs and people won’t all move south ever. Fact is many who move south also return to their old cold northern home towns once they get it out of their system and miss the old culture and character of the north. Some people go south and wanted the warm climates when they were young but also realize that the south has horrible, ghetto public schools once they have kids. The south is getting more expensive now that Yankees have invaded and jacked everything up. The south is getting big, fast, arrogant, expensive too now. Large metro areas in south are becoming as fast, expensive as much of the north now. Yankees are ruining it. It’s a shame. When the south gets more expensive people will stop coming as much. It’s all about cost of living. The south was cheap for many decades. Not anymore. You have to go to big southern areas if you move south cause the little areas in south have no industry or jobs. Problem is the big southern areas are getting too big, fast, transient, expensive.

Cities like Columbus, OH——Pittsburgh——DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Buffalo, NYC, Boston, Indianapolis, Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Cleveland......they still have lots of jobs and educated yuppies. Don’t fool yourself. The north is still more educated than the south. The south needs educated Yankees to come down to lead and build up the south. Yankees build the buildings and bring the brains.

Texas and Oklahoma aren't going to the Big Ten for a variety of reasons, mostly because this is an internet rumor. You would be better off sticking with that, instead of attempting to build an equally ridiculous argument, also based primarily on internet rumors.

That is not based on internet rumor

The idea that Texas and the SEC is targeting the ACC is truth
Just like this was the truth

The scenario I laid out is the best thing for UNC and a lot of ACC schools
1) Maintain the conference
2) Replace the Northeast with Texas
3) Increase revenue
4) UNC maintains power. In the B1G or SEC they will not have the power that the Big XII/ACC can give them

When I heard ESPN was having lay offs I was worried about you. Did you land on your feet?

Cities like Columbus, OH——Pittsburgh——DC, Baltimphp
, Philadelphia, Buffalo, NYC, Boston, Indianapolis, Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Cleveland......they still have lots of jobs and educated yuppies. Don’t fool yourself. The north is still more educated than the south. The south needs educated Yankees to come down to lead and build up the south. Yankees build the buildings and bring the brains.

Housing prices in Ohio and PA are dirt cheap.
Only places with extremely high home prices are the Western US and Northeast.
The Midwest is at the bottom.

The South has higher housing prices than the Midwest.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/real...e-prices-in-100-top-u-s-metro-areas/index.php

That is not based on internet rumor

The idea that Texas and the SEC is targeting the ACC is truth
Just like this was the truth

The scenario I laid out is the best thing for UNC and a lot of ACC schools
1) Maintain the conference
2) Replace the Northeast with Texas
3) Increase revenue
4) UNC maintains power. In the B1G or SEC they will not have the power that the Big XII/ACC can give them

Truth requires fact, which none of these rumors possess. I'm not sure how many times these internet rumors have to end up being false for you to understand that.

Truth requires fact, which none of these rumors possess. I'm not sure how many times these internet rumors have to end up being false for you to understand that.

The rumor would be Texas and Oklahoma actually leaving.
The truth is the B1G is actively pursuing both of them.

Rumor would be that the ACC network will collapse pretty soon after its release
Truth is that certain schools in the ACC are attempting to hedge their bets on the network

The rumor would be Texas and Oklahoma actually leaving.
The truth is the B1G is actively pursuing both of them.

Rumor would be that the ACC network will collapse pretty soon after its release
Truth is that certain schools in the ACC are attempting to hedge their bets on the network

Again, truth requires facts, of which you have none.

Again, truth requires facts, of which you have none.

Truth is the ACC had horrible ratings.
Ratings for the most part will determine demand for the network.

ACC and Pac 12 for the most part had similar ratings.
If you expect any AD or university president to publicly state their fear of the what if....you will be waiting for a long time.

Mack Brown ending up back at UNC wasn't just happenstance.
He is there in case the ACC has issues plus if the network is a success he has pull in Austin with the boosters.

Mack Brown is pretty much an AD employed as a HC

Truth is the ACC had horrible ratings.
Ratings for the most part will determine demand for the network.

ACC and Pac 12 for the most part had similar ratings.
If you expect any AD or university president to publicly state their fear of the what if....you will be waiting for a long time.

Mack Brown ending up back at UNC wasn't just happenstance.
He is there in case the ACC has issues plus if the network is a success he has pull in Austin with the boosters.

Mack Brown is pretty much an AD employed as a HC

The truth is, you no actual facts to back up your claims. You are just making up scenarios without any facts to back them up. You are just trying to convince yourself of something you want to believe.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
The truth is, you no actual facts to back up your claims. You are just making up scenarios without any facts to back them up. You are just trying to convince yourself of something you want to believe.

If the ACC network is considered Tier 1 that means it gets attached to regional sports networks.
Channels like NESN and YES. I am not 100% sure on those channels and their cable contracts.
Comcast is bad because Comcast has their own regional channels and they do not attach any channel with them.
This is why the B1G has had issues in Eastern PA.
Comcast dominates the Philly market.

Truthfully for a Clemson fan it shouldn't matter because Clemson will land on its feet no matter the ACC network.
For Clemson I doubt the ACC will ever equal the SEC in revenue.

Florida St fans for the most part understand this.

He’s a moron that I’m convinced is the idiot expansion geek that was here a few years ago.

I am wait and see on the ACC network.

But.....
What cannot be denied is that the future of the conference will be determined by the network.
Truthfully the original ACC does not have anything to worry about or at least the ACC before 2003 except maybe Wake Forest .
Miami, Pitt, Louisville, BC and Syracuse are the ones that will need to find a liferaft

If the ACC network is considered Tier 1 that means it gets attached to regional sports networks.
Channels like NESN and YES. I am not 100% sure on those channels and their cable contracts.
Comcast is bad because Comcast has their own regional channels and they do not attach any channel with them.

Truthfully for a Clemson fan it shouldn't matter because Clemson will land on its feet no matter the ACC network.
For Clemson I doubt the ACC will ever equal the SEC in revenue.

Florida St fans for the most part understand this.

Now you are just completely making up things. This one post is riddled with inaccuracies.

This is not how the broadcast business works. The conference networks do not get "attached" to regional sports networks. Conference networks are individual channels, just like all the other networks you watch. They are offered as either part of the basic cable package, or as part of a specialty package, like a sports package. However, even if offered as part of a specialty package, they are not "attached" to another specific channel.

This is again simply inaccurate. The Big Ten does not have an issue with Comcast distribution. From a business article published on August 27th of this year:

Comcast Corp. and Fox Networks Group have reached an agreement for Comcast to continue carrying the Big Ten Network and for Comcast to continue carrying all of the Big Ten games on FS1.

The deal settles a carriage dispute between the companies over the Big Ten Network before the Sept. 1 end of the current contract and avoids a blackout of the network before the start of the college football season.

Fox had been seeking higher carriage fees from the cable company under a new deal, The Wall Street Journal reported in July.

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA, NYSE: CCZ) will continue to offer Big Ten Network to its customers who reside in states with Big Ten universities. Those cities are Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Xfinity customers in Delaware, Washington D.C., and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area also will continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools.

In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package. The cable company didn’t specify a date.

This is the biggest problem right here. It doesn't matter if a person is a fan of any particular school. That doesn't change the facts. My opinion has nothing to do with being a fan of any school. It is completely based on the facts and logic. If we were talking about something I don't even watch, like Major League Soccer, I would still make the same type of argument. Not because I care about the implications, but strictly because of what the facts and logical reasoning conclude.

This is from Direct TV

Regional sports networks
Don’t miss a minute of game time with the Sports Pack’s regional sports networks, bringing you coverage of your favorite pro and college teams from around the country. Plus, get whip-around coverage of every college upset and wild finish on ESPN’s Goal Line and Bases Loaded channels—all included in the DIRECTV Sports Pack.

Regional sports package.....

Meaning if someone wants to watch the Red Sox in Massachusetts they purchase this because it includes NESN....

Now.... if ESPN can secure the ACC network as a regional sports channel in New England they can ride off the back of the Red Sox

The majority of cable networks do the same thing....
So yes channels are attached to other channels.

It is not as much as if someone watches the channel it is how many TVs that channel is on.

Ultimately the difference is....

Cable networks can use the SEC and B1G to sell these cable packages....

I doubt they will ever be able to do that in the Northeast with the ACC network

So ultimately the ACC will be a forgotten channel that can never demand big dollars in negotiations.

Just some info here on the BIG wanting Texas and Oklahoma , news flash any Confernce would take them. But what I am hearing is that the BIG really wants Virginia and UNC. The BIG very much wants to get into the sunshine belt with tons of BIG alumni living in NC and VA. Plus both states are growing in population and UVA and UNC fits the BIG academic requirements.

Texas has a sweetheart deal here, I don't expect them to abandon the Big XII. The B1G, SEC, or even the PAC are not going to bend the knee and give Texas preferential treatment over Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Stanford, Oregon just to add a new member and make a few extra bucks.

Oklahoma is the loose end, its basically money vs tradition, regional convenience, and an easier road to the playoff vs having to battle the gauntlet of the SEC or Mich/tOSU or even USC/Oregon/Washington/Whoever comes "back" from that conference in the PAC. I don't know if there are enough positives for OU other than screwing over Texas and a few extra bucks to force them to make the move. Additionally there is the complication of in state politics that wont allow OU to move on without oSu, does another conference really want OU that bad too double down on Oklahoma as a TV market and add two mouths to already bloated conferences?

But for the sake of argument lets say OU and Texas left. The conference would immediately poach at bare minimum UCF to replenish its ranks. The conference would ultimately be a little better competitively in comparison to the Big East which kept its "BCS" status the whole time we were in it and much better in terms of brand names and marketability IMO. It would suck but the conference and WVU would survive until a mega raid occurred for 4-5 additional schools.

Last edited:
This is from Direct TV

Regional sports networks
Don’t miss a minute of game time with the Sports Pack’s regional sports networks, bringing you coverage of your favorite pro and college teams from around the country. Plus, get whip-around coverage of every college upset and wild finish on ESPN’s Goal Line and Bases Loaded channels—all included in the DIRECTV Sports Pack.

Regional sports package.....

Meaning if someone wants to watch the Red Sox in Massachusetts they purchase this because it includes NESN....

Now.... if ESPN can secure the ACC network as a regional sports channel in New England they can ride off the back of the Red Sox

The majority of cable networks do the same thing....
So yes channels are attached to other channels.

It is not as much as if someone watches the channel it is how many TVs that channel is on.

Yet again, you keep posting inaccurate information. None of the conference networks are "regional" networks. If you would have bothered to click on the link on the DirectTV page, you would see that none of the conference networks, BTN, SECN, P12N, are included DirectTV's Sports Pack package. Here is the complete list of the Sports Pack channels:

Sports Pack Channel lineup

221 CBS Sports Network
464 Univision Deportes Network
470 Spectrum Deportes
602 TVG
606 Outdoor Channel
608 FOX College Sports Alt.
608 FOX College Sports Alt.
614 ESPN Classic
620 beIN SPORTS
628 NESN
630 NBC Sports Boston
631 Yankee Ent. & Sports (YES)
634 Madison Square Garden
635 MSG Plus
639 SportsNet New York
640 MASN
642 NBC Sports Washington
646 FSN South
649 Fox Sports Southeast
653 Fox Sports Sun
654 FSN Florida
659 AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh
660 FSN Ohio
661 FSN Cincinnati
662 SportsTime Ohio
663 FSN Detroit
665 NBC Sports Chicago
665 NBC Sports Chicago Plus
668 FSN North
669 FSN Wisconsin
671 FSN Midwest
674 AT&T SportsNet Southwest
675 FSN Oklahoma
676 FSN Southwest
681 Altitude Sports
683 AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain
684 AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain West SD
686 FS Arizona Plus
686 FSN Arizona
687 ROOT SPORTS Northwest
691 Spectrum SportsNet
692 FSN West
693 Prime Ticket
694 FSN San Diego
696 NBC Sports Bay Area
698 NBC Sports California

Notice not only do you not see the conference networks, you don't see ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, etc. either. That's because they are available in broader general packages.

DirectTV offers 6 basic packages, SELECT, ENTERTAINMENT, CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, and PREMIER. The SECN and BTN are available on the CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, and PREMIER packages. By way of comparison, ESPN, ESPN 2 and FS1 are available on the ENTERTAINMENT, CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, and PREMIER packages. NESN is only available on the PREMIER package, or through the specialty Sports Pack.

The point being, the business model simply does not work the way you describe it. Conference networks are not "regional" networks, and are not packaged accordingly. They are offered more broadly in general packages, much like ESPN or FS1.

Yet again, you keep posting inaccurate information. None of the conference networks are "regional" networks. If you would have bothered to click on the link on the DirectTV page, you would see that none of the conference networks, BTN, SECN, P12N, are included DirectTV's Sports Pack package. Here is the complete list of the Sports Pack channels:

Notice not only do you not see the conference networks, you don't see ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, etc. either. That's because they are available in broader general packages.

DirectTV offers 6 basic packages, SELECT, ENTERTAINMENT, CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, and PREMIER. The SECN and BTN are available on the CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, and PREMIER packages. By way of comparison, ESPN, ESPN 2 and FS1 are available on the ENTERTAINMENT, CHOICE, XTRA, ULTIMATE, and PREMIER packages. NESN is only available on the PREMIER package, or through the specialty Sports Pack.

The point being, the business model simply does not work the way you describe it. Conference networks are not "regional" networks, and are not packaged accordingly. They are offered more broadly in general packages, much like ESPN or FS1.
That my be true if you are looking at outdated delivery modes. As more folks cut cable and go with cafetiere plans, the Texas troll points become more valid. Included in my sports extra package in the SEC network but not the Big 10 network thus a regionalized package.

That my be true if you are looking at outdated delivery modes. As more folks cut cable and go with cafetiere plans, the Texas troll points become more valid. Included in my sports extra package in the SEC network but not the Big 10 network thus a regionalized package.

There aren't "regionalized" packages, as are being discussed. The "regional" package the other poster mentioned isn't a "regional" package. In other words, the package he described isn't only available to certain areas. You get that same package whether you live in West Virginia or Arizona.

As far as your point about an outdated model, then the entire idea of a conference network is changed, not just for one particular conference. Regardless, the current system does not work the way the other poster has described it.

There aren't "regionalized" packages, as are being discussed. The "regional" package the other poster mentioned isn't a "regional" package. In other words, the package he described isn't only available to certain areas. You get that same package whether you live in West Virginia or Arizona.

As far as your point about an outdated model, then the entire idea of a conference network is changed, not just for one particular conference. Regardless, the current system does not work the way the other poster has described it.
So me getting the sec network and not the Big 10 network in my sports package does not support Townes point? You always seem to dismiss the trend of cafetiere plans. I got rid of satellite TV over a year ago and save about $1000 year. I do not get all the stations that I never watched and paid for. That is the current trend. If you go with the out dated method then yes you are right. The rest of us will safe the money and see regional packages.

I am wait and see on the ACC network.

But.....
What cannot be denied is that the future of the conference will be determined by the network.
Truthfully the original ACC does not have anything to worry about or at least the ACC before 2003 except maybe Wake Forest .
Miami, Pitt, Louisville, BC and Syracuse are the ones that will need to find a liferaft

Fake News. Future not determined by what you post haha. Most TVs in ACC footprint. The entirety of your opinion is all noise.

ADVERTISEMENT