ADVERTISEMENT

Other schools making moves

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
What is wrong at WVU? Honestly--what other programs are retaining coaches with the dismal record Brown has dumped on WVU?

Recent changes for programs seeking to be successful after firing unsuccessful coaches mid season (as WVU should have):

Wisconsin--hired Luke Fickell
Nebraska--hired Matt Rhule
Georgia Tech--hiring Tulane HC Willie Fritz
Auburn--hired Liberty's Hugh Freeze
ASU--hired Kenny Dillingham -OC at Oregon

Even multiple G5 programs are replacing losing coaches--even ones that won their final game to end at 5-7 such as Tulsa. Western Michigan fired their HC after his first losing season going 5-7 but with an overall winning record of 37-32 over six seasons and 26-20 in MAC play.

Liberty expects to replace departing Freeze within 1 week.

Meanwhile radio silence from WVU--even on hiring an AD? People are acting as though 5 win seasons is the most WVU--which had been far more successful before Brown--can expect? WTF is happening at WVU?

Last edited:
WVU isn't making any coaching moves, other than maybe at some coordinator's jobs, which many are now out there looking for work with all the coaching/staff firings. Hiring an AD in late November/early December doesn't need to be rushed, as football season is now over, and Huggins can handle basketball on his own. You already have someone in a temporary position running the athletic department. Might as well be patient and make sure you hire the right person you want in there running the department. Might even hire a woman for the job.

I couldn't care less about other schools making moves. They need to so good luck to them. I'm frustrated with the lack of success on the football field and I can nitpick many and various coaching decisions. All fans can with their teams. Biggest issue with WVU remains with the lack of talent throughout the roster. Is that the responsibility of the coach? Sure. But making a change doesn't automatically improve that situation.

WVU has made it clear they are not replacing the head coach this year so fans need to quit whining about it. JT Daniels was highly disappointing this year and I think he should have been benched earlier in order to develop the other QB's as we saw the last few games. We need to lose less players in the transfer portal especially in the defensive backfield. We have an incredible lack of talent this year with DB's and LB's and that needs to improve.

I'm not a fan of Brown but I'm not one that thinks making a change is going to immediately have an impact that is positive. The school is stuck with his contract and the coaching staff needs to be cohesive during this recruitment season in getting more talent, both at the HS and Junior College level. Be very selective with Transfers. Build for more than just the upcoming season.

Because its only "too late to do anything" for WVU. Other schools dont self-limit the way we do.

What is wrong at WVU? Honestly--what other programs are retaining coaches with the dismal record Brown has dumped on WVU?

Recent changes for programs seeking to be successful after firing unsuccessful coaches mid season (as WVU should have):

Even multiple G5 programs are replacing losing coaches--even ones that won their final game to end at 5-7 such as Tulsa. Western Michigan fired their HC after his first losing season going 5-7 but with an overall winning record of 37-32 over six seasons and 26-20 in MAC play.

Meanwhile radio silence from WVU--even on hiring an AD? People are acting as though 5 win seasons is the most WVU--which had been far more successful before Brown--can expect? WTF is happening at WVU?
Go follow those other schools. Everyone will be happy.

I couldn't care less about other schools making moves. They need to so good luck to them. I'm frustrated with the lack of success on the football field and I can nitpick many and various coaching decisions. All fans can with their teams. Biggest issue with WVU remains with the lack of talent throughout the roster. Is that the responsibility of the coach? Sure. But making a change doesn't automatically improve that situation.

WVU has made it clear they are not replacing the head coach this year so fans need to quit whining about it. JT Daniels was highly disappointing this year and I think he should have been benched earlier in order to develop the other QB's as we saw the last few games. We need to lose less players in the transfer portal especially in the defensive backfield. We have an incredible lack of talent this year with DB's and LB's and that needs to improve.

I'm not a fan of Brown but I'm not one that thinks making a change is going to immediately have an impact that is positive. The school is stuck with his contract and the coaching staff needs to be cohesive during this recruitment season in getting more talent, both at the HS and Junior College level. Be very selective with Transfers. Build for more than just the upcoming season.
In game coaching is the biggest problem for WVU football. Not retaining players is obviously a big issue as well with Neal Brown--bigger and smaller programs--many of them have not had the massive turnover Brown has--an indication its not so much the portal as it is Brown. You don't leave where you want to be if you feel it gives you a chance to be your best and have the most success.

You aren't building for success with a coach that has proven he can win 5 games a year and one of those against FCS schools and most of the rest either losing programs or at home only. Change is the only way to improve and create an environment where players want to be.

As to Daniels--yet another example of players dropping production under Brown and his inability to evaluate and play his top personnel.

WVU isn't making any coaching moves, other than maybe at some coordinator's jobs, which many are now out there looking for work with all the coaching/staff firings. Hiring an AD in late November/early December doesn't need to be rushed, as football season is now over, and Huggins can handle basketball on his own. You already have someone in a temporary position running the athletic department. Might as well be patient and make sure you hire the right person you want in there running the department. Might even hire a woman for the job.

I can't imagine we attract any good assistants, everyone knows Brown is a lame duck. Why would anyone with options want to enter that situation?

Reactions: deedoubleyou

Gordon Gee stated very clearly that no decision would be made until a new AD is hired. He stated that it would be the decision of the new AD. So, with that said why do you expect a change to be made when the guy who is supposed to make the change isn't here yet. When Gee speaks you hear it from the top not some crack pot youtuber or fake sportswriter that tells you what you want to hear.

Gordon Gee stated very clearly that no decision would be made until a new AD is hired. He stated that it would be the decision of the new AD. So, with that said why do you expect a change to be made when the guy who is supposed to make the change isn't here yet. When Gee speaks you hear it from the top not some crack pot youtuber or fake sportswriter that tells you what you want to hear.
He doesn’t care. He just wants to scream “fire him now” over and over again like some kid with Tourette’s Syndrome. We get it, Buckainmoe wants him fired. Instead of rationally talking about all the details, he chooses to ignore the factors involved. Who does he think would make the hire if we didn’t wait on the new AD? Alsop? Gee? I think it would be wiser to let someone qualified in assessments and knowledge/skill as an athletic director to do it. And that will take a detailed approach. You can tell Bucky doesn’t have a professional job of any influence. Only an idiot would think we just need to fire Neal without a detailed plan of how to navigate the next hiring process. That’s how we got Bill Stewart.

He doesn’t care. He just wants to scream “fire him now” over and over again like some kid with Tourette’s Syndrome. We get it, Buckainmoe wants him fired. Instead of rationally talking about all the details, he chooses to ignore the factors involved. Who does he think would make the hire if we didn’t wait on the new AD? Alsop? Gee? I think it would be wiser to let someone qualified in assessments and knowledge/skill as an athletic director to do it. And that will take a detailed approach. You can tell Bucky doesn’t have a professional job of any influence. Only an idiot would think we just need to fire Neal without a detailed plan of how to navigate the next hiring process. That’s how we got Bill Stewart.
Bucky also doesn't understand that schools like Auburn and Nebraska have more people putting their money where their mouth is instead of screaming to a bunch of people on a message board who have zero say in the decision.

Excuses and troll Manure are rampant here. It’s a lie that WVU doesn’t have as much revenue as some schools. WVU has been bringing in $70-$100,000,000 per year for years now since getting full shares from the BIG 12 and this will continue.

Other schools with more limited resources have large buyouts to deal with and their administration created ways to deal with that When it was warranted ( as is at WVU) to rid yourself of a coach not getting the job done.

Pretending a coach that has proven results of winning 5-6 games per year, losing in every category that matters, is suddenly going to win 8 or more games is fools folly. Nothing would indicate he could accomplish that. He’s already had changes with assistants and had top notch QB talent etc come in—And you guessed it— 5 wins as usual.

Pretending WVU is some squalid underprivileged stepchild when it’s been solidly in the top 30-40 earning ADs for years on end is just a sorry lie to hang on to a sorry coach- a bad move that may very well ruin the program for decades to come. Not sure what Brown put into some of these peoples drinks but he has been the worst coaching hire at WVU for nearly 50 years now. It’s time for WVU to make a change and stop playing make believe such as “trust the climb” with the fanbase. The bottom fell out four years ago and still hasn’t been repaired and isn’t going to be until a real coach is leading the program.

Excuses and troll Manure are rampant here. It’s a lie that WVU doesn’t have as much revenue as some schools. WVU has been bringing in $70-$100,000,000 per year for years now since getting full shares from the BIG 12 and this will continue.

Other schools with more limited resources have large buyouts to deal with and their administration created ways to deal with that When it was warranted ( as is at WVU) to rid yourself of a coach not getting the job done.

Pretending a coach that has proven results of winning 5-6 games per year, losing in every category that matters, is suddenly going to win 8 or more games is fools folly. Nothing would indicate he could accomplish that. He’s already had changes with assistants and had top notch QB talent etc come in—And you guessed it— 5 wins as usual.

Pretending WVU is some squalid underprivileged stepchild when it’s been solidly in the top 30-40 earning ADs for years on end is just a sorry lie to hang on to a sorry coach- a bad move that may very well ruin the program for decades to come. Not sure what Brown put into some of these peoples drinks but he has been the worst coaching hire at WVU for nearly 50 years now. It’s time for WVU to make a change and stop playing make believe such as “trust the climb” with the fanbase. The bottom fell out four years ago and still hasn’t been repaired and isn’t going to be until a real coach is leading the program.
Who are you referring to? Did anyone say WVU didn’t have the money? I might’ve missed that. Or are you assuming? Get used to it. No matter how much crying you do, Brown will start the 2023 season as WVU HC. And then If he’s failing, they will make a change. And WVU will be smarter and better prepared for doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euell
Who are you referring to? Did anyone say WVU didn’t have the money? I might’ve missed that. Or are you assuming? Get used to it. No matter how much crying you do, Brown will start the 2023 season as WVU HC. And then If he’s failing, they will make a change. And WVU will be smarter and better prepared for doing so.
It will be too late and If they make that fatal mistake ( have to think someone there is smarter than that) Then another large portion of the fanbase will be gone. The program will be set back as was Kansas for decades with little room for recovery because the entire landscape of college football has changed. NIL, realignment are all staring WVU squarely in the face and the only thing that will make WVU relevant is success on the football field which Neal Brown has proven he cannot deliver for WVU. WVU cannot afford yet another 5 win season.

Frankly it’s shocking WVU hasn’t even been able to land an AD at this point. It’s a major school with a top notch athletic department thanks to steps Oliver Luck and Holgorsen got underway.

The hope is the new AD is working on the next coach and both will be announced within a short period of time of one another.

Georgia Tech apparently now targeting an assistant after failing to come to terms with Willie Fritz of Tulane.

They have similar financial concerns over the fired coach yet have moved on.

It will be too late and If they make that fatal mistake ( have to think someone there is smarter than that) Then another large portion of the fanbase will be gone. The program will be set back as was Kansas for decades with little room for recovery because the entire landscape of college football has changed. NIL, realignment are all staring WVU squarely in the face and the only thing that will make WVU relevant is success on the football field which Neal Brown has proven he cannot deliver for WVU. WVU cannot afford yet another 5 win season.
1.) who is supposed to make the hire?

2.) which HC candidates are you expecting?

Do you really want WVU rushing this firing and hiring?

So when Gordon Gee stated that no decision would be made until a new AD is in place was that an excuse? Isn't it the job of an AD to find the right coach? Don't you want wvu to make the right hire on an AD? If you and people like you would start putting your money where your mouth is wvu would probably be able to hire better candidates in the first place.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
So when Gordon Gee stated that no decision would be made until a new AD is in place was that an excuse? Isn't it the job of an AD to find the right coach? Don't you want wvu to make the right hire on an AD? If you and people like you would start putting your money where your mouth is wvu would probably be able to hire better candidates in the first place.
Of course Gee said the AD would be involved. Problem is he hasn’t hired an AD and they didn’t fire the last one until a coaching search was very difficult or even impossible for recruiting and portal issues. If WVU fired Lyons I would expect they already had someone in mind to replace him or wouldn’t have done it. After all they didn’t just fire Brown with no replacement but could not possibly believe he is capable of doing anything positive for WVU— they just want cover for letting him go. WVU is making $100,000,000 and I’ve spent my share of time, merchandise, tickets, etc. Not getting a dime more unless results are delivered. Wasted enough on four years of the Brown debacle.

1.) who is supposed to make the hire?

2.) which HC candidates are you expecting?

Do you really want WVU rushing this firing and hiring?
Administration and BOG

Administration and BOG are responsible for hiring ADs and HCs for WVU. not me. Hugh Freeze was there and willing and they let him slip by.

Rushing? Brown has had four years and FAILED. In what universe is four years not enough to evaluate someone’s capability. Many others have done it- no reason WVU cannot.

Of course Gee said the AD would be involved. Problem is he hasn’t hired an AD and they didn’t fire the last one until a coaching search was very difficult or even impossible for recruiting and portal issues. If WVU fired Lyons I would expect they already had someone in mind to replace him or wouldn’t have done it. After all they didn’t just fire Brown with no replacement but could not possibly believe he is capable of doing anything positive for WVU— they just want cover for letting him go. WVU is making $100,000,000 and I’ve spent my share of time, merchandise, tickets, etc. Not getting a dime more unless results are delivered. Wasted enough on four years of the Brown debacle.
You do realize WVU consulted the same firm the Big 12 used to hire their new commissioner to find the next AD? It’s not WVU’s fault or ineptitude they haven’t found their new AD. It’s a process. A well thought out process. This is a national search. Interviews must take place. Pre-existing Contractual obligations of candidates must be considered. Then once that has all taken place, I’m sure WVU’s board of governors will meet the selected candidates. Good lord man.

Reactions: HotInEER
When he says money he doesn't mean TV contract money. Schools like Auburn have 10 Ken Kendricks who throw their weight around regarding buyouts/contracts/hires, etc so it's a different animal altogether. That money doesn't get allocated from the current budget, it gets kicked in addition to what's already there for the buyout.

And as much as I'm not a Neil Brown fan, I wouldn't let him go unless I had a concrete backup plan for his replacement. Firing him and then holding a coaching search could be a disaster.

When he says money he doesn't mean TV contract money. Schools like Auburn have 10 Ken Kendricks who throw their weight around regarding buyouts/contracts/hires, etc so it's a different animal altogether. That money doesn't get allocated from the current budget, it gets kicked in addition to what's already there for the buyout.

And as much as I'm not a Neil Brown fan, I wouldn't let him go unless I had a concrete backup plan for his replacement. Firing him and then holding a coaching search could be a disaster.
And he expects some disaster scenario of Gee, Alsop, boosters etc to coordinate the hire. And then handcuff the incoming AD with their unqualified decision that already made the choice. I’m sure a top level AD prospect would love that scenario and eagerly accept the job.

Reactions: Euell and WVU-SE

Kill yourself

Because its only "too late to do anything" for WVU. Other schools dont self-limit the way we do.
Did those schools also fire their AD?

Just because you hire a new coach it doesn't automatically equal wins.

Administration and BOG

Administration and BOG are responsible for hiring ADs and HCs for WVU. not me. Hugh Freeze was there and willing and they let him slip by.

Rushing? Brown has had four years and FAILED. In what universe is four years not enough to evaluate someone’s capability. Many others have done it- no reason WVU cannot.
So you want WVU to hire a coach who probably gets fired 1 year later when the new AD is hired.

Administration and BOG

Willing according to Who? Wait patiently for it to play out and shut up.

All schools likely have a list when they let coaches go. Keeping a coach that can only win four or five games against mostly losing fbs competition yearly is not going to be better than hiring even an interim coach. If indeed there is no one available then how the heck are others hiring coaches? WVU is far from the lowest resourced P5 program. You don’t know how many large donors WVU has and other schools without the resources of an Auburn or even WVU are as we speak making coaching changes.

It’s a myth with no evidence WVU can’t do it— they may not WANT to do it- that’s another matter and a big reason Lyons had to be canned For putting WVU into the position I the first place.

Last edited:

Auburn is a text book example of what happens when people like Bucky have too much say in the process. Bryan Harsin was a good coach at Boise State but he was never really going to be a good fit at a place like Auburn. They ended up with him because they fired Malzahn without a plan. Everyone knew that Auburn was going to give Harsin the ax but the bigger crime was hiring him in the first place. Wvu has several problems that Bucky is failing to comprehend. First off we don't have an AD currently in place who's job it is to make these decisions. Secondly we are to late in the process. Schools have been hiring coaches this week. By the time a new ad gets here he will be left with the candidates that were passed over. I don't care how long it takes to hire new AD as long as we get the right guy. If and when we make a coaching change I want it to be a well thought out process. I don't want to take a chance on a mediocre if that's all that's available. Wvu is not like Auburn we don't have the 45 million dollars that their booster have flushed down the commode the last two years buying out coaching contracts.

Administration and BOG

Freeze was never coming here he got the job he wanted.

Reactions: WVU-SE
Freeze was never coming here he got the job he wanted.
You don’t know that, you’re projecting your personal fantasies again. Had WVU made a move before Auburn did then they’d likely have landed him. They didn’t make any moves and Auburn did, thus we will never know.

You don’t know that, you’re projecting your personal fantasies again. Had WVU made a move before Auburn did then they’d likely have landed him. They didn’t make any moves and Auburn did, thus we will never know.
Did Auburn fire their AD as well? Did Wisconsin fire their AD? Did Cincinnati fire their AD? Did any of these and other schools fire their AD and need to replace their HC at the same time? If so, I’ve missed that. Give me an example where in this scenario, the HC was replaced before the AD.

And you don't know if he was coming at all or if WVU made an offer. You don't even know if WVU is looking at new coaches and waiting for the new AD to give him a list.

You just don't know shit but only bitch like a school girl going to Marshall.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
All schools likely have a list when they let coaches go. Keeping a coach that can only win four or five games against mostly losing fbs competition yearly is not going to be better than hiring even an interim coach. If indeed there is no one available then how the heck are others hiring coaches? WVU is far from the lowest resourced P5 program. You don’t know how many large donors WVU has and other schools without the resources of an Auburn or even WVU are as we speak making coaching changes.

It’s a myth with no evidence WVU can’t do it— they may not WANT to do it- that’s another matter and a big reason Lyons had to be canned For putting WVU into the position I the first place.
So you're saying the Big 12 is weak?

So you're saying the Big 12 is weak?
No idiot, Brown plays two fbs OOC and has been finishing near the bottom of the BIG 12 every year with a losing conference record. The fact TCU has the strongest SOS of likely playoff participants illustrates the toughness of the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT