ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Matt Luke fired at Ole Miss

3xWVUenginEER

All-Conference
Dec 7, 2005
Have to wonder if a 15 Yd penalty for a player acting like a dog raising his leg to pee and a subsequent missed extra pt @ your rival cost him his job. I think the likelihood is high.

I have no sympathy for him. Ole Miss will pay him $17 MILLION to not coach at Ole Miss. What a golden parachute to have!

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly stupid these athletic depts are with contracts and the guarantees for coaches in them.

If you look at USC, actually both of them, Clay Helton is getting $20 MILLION if fired & Will Muschamp (went 4–8) wont get fired cause the Gamecocks don’t have the reported $19.44 MILLION for him not to coach. These schools are just beyond dumb and can’t negotiate a contract at all.

Last edited:
Have to wonder if a 15 Yd penalty for a player acting like a dog raising his leg to pee and a subsequent missed extra pt @ your rival cost him his job. I think the likelihood is high.

I have no sympathy for him. Ole Miss will pay him $17 to not coach at Ole Miss. What a golden parachute to have!
Only $17? That's a great deal for Ole Miss.

Maybe NB will go after The Product to be his OC.

Hahahahahaja that’s funny. That is seriously funny.

The Dick will never be employed at WVU again. I don’t even see the school honoring any of his years teams unless he has a job as an assistant coach somewhere and is unable to attend. There may be a school take a chance on him if they’ve hit rock bottom and are that desperate and ADs are always proving how incredibly STUPID THEY ARE but WVU won’t EVER!

Hahahahahaja that’s funny. That is seriously funny.

The Dick will never be employed at WVU again. I don’t even see the school honoring any of his years teams unless he has a job as an assistant coach somewhere and is unable to attend. There may be a school take a chance on him if they’ve hit rock bottom and are that desperate and ADs are always proving how incredibly STUPID THEY ARE but WVU won’t EVER!
We took back Gibson, didn't we?

Seriously. RRod did not do a bad job considering what he had.

If we got a mobile quarterback and a decent of line coach, he could do well here

that being said, Neal would be insane to hire him. That’s essentially asking Dracula into your home.

Even everyones favorite kicker on here, Pat M, said he talked to RR recently and said what he has done with ole miss offense in one year was amazing and wouldn’t be surprised for someone to look at him for an OC position in nfl or HC at a Power 5 school again. Pat also said that GOAT Rod is still as intense as ever.

Anyone who still has bad feelings about him or thinks that RR should never coach here again or never have anything to do with WVU is just obtuse, Their life must be miserable.

I have no sympathy for him. Ole Miss will pay him $17 MILLION to not coach at Ole Miss. What a golden parachute to have!

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly stupid these athletic depts are with contracts and the guarantees for coaches in them.

If you look at USC, actually both of them, Clay Helton is getting $20 MILLION if fired & Will Muschamp (went 4–8) wont get fired cause the Gamecocks don’t have the reported $19.44 MILLION for him not to coach. These schools are just beyond dumb and can’t negotiate a contract at all.
The pee incident didn't help but the program did slip under Luke. The last 2 seasons under freeze ole miss was in New years six bowls.

The pee incident didn't help but the program did slip under Luke. The last 2 seasons under freeze ole miss was in New years six bowls.

Given the NCAA issues and probation he inherited (and was likely a very willing participant in getting those problems—let’s not be naive), he had his back against the wall and was facing an uphill battle. Add in this year The PAC 12 officials in the game vs Cal who robbed Ole Miss at the end of a chance for a win (It was obvious if you watched that game) and he had an even tougher go.

The mock dog peeing incident was just symptomatic of NO DISCIPLINE & NO BRAINS there. Alabama is the best team in the country over the last 10 years. Could you imagine an Alabama player under Saban ever doing something that dumb?

Also the AD at Ole Miss apparently isn’t running that program. He gave Luke a full support vote of confidence a week ago. I’m betting the president or more likely boosters fired him. I mean it’s Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze coaching didn’t get them top 5 recruiting classes, the boosters did!

Even everyones favorite kicker on here, Pat M, said he talked to RR recently and said what he has done with ole miss offense in one year was amazing and wouldn’t be surprised for someone to look at him for an OC position in nfl or HC at a Power 5 school again. Pat also said that GOAT Rod is still as intense as ever.

Anyone who still has bad feelings about him or thinks that RR should never coach here again or never have anything to do with WVU is just obtuse, Their life must be miserable.

You're mixing up two different things. I don't know (or care) how good a job RR did at Ole Miss this year but it doesn't matter. Even if he's the greatest coach ever, WVU should never have anything to do with him again. How badly does someone have to treat you before you stand up for yourself? Have some self-respect.

If case you've forgotten, go back and dig up some of the mud he was slinging to try to get out of the $4 million he owed and maybe you'll see why some people never want to be associated with him again.

1. His schtick is old. I doubt he could have the same success he had previously here given how poorly it went at Michigan and Arizona.

2. The guy was a total asshat in how he handled the break-up, milking big contacts and then trying to balk when his end of the contract had to be upheld. Sure Pastilong was a stooge, but that doesn't excuse the low class way he handled the exit.

3. The guy is completely selfish. He cost this school and the great players he coached the best shot at a title any party involved ever had because he was more focused on his next career move than the game in front of him.

The most important thing is number 1, but the rest doesn't help. So he'd have to be a guarantee Saban, Meyer, Swinney level coach for it to make sense to retry him at WVU given items 2 and 3.

ADVERTISEMENT