ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I forgot how horrific Fox hockey broadcasting was...

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Till tonight!!!...Gimmie, Root, NBC or even god forbid espn over this crap! Heyward and Hebert? These are the 'analysts'???....all I need is the glowing puck to truly take me back 20 years ago...terrible....even more important for a Pens win now, to make up for watching this broadcast...

This post was edited on 3/7 12:09 AM by torontoeers

Re: OT: I forgot how horrific Fox hockey braodcasting was...

What game is Fox covering? I'm currently watching the Penguins on Root Sports Pittsburgh

I've got the Fox feed of the Pens / Ducks up here?!? Horrific!...but some timely goals at least so far...need to get this one and tomorrow...on this western swing...

This post was edited on 3/6 11:49 PM by torontoeers

Jim Rutherford has made a lot of acquisitions this season, but none bigger IMO than Hornqvist. He has been awesome since day 1. The Pens continue their good play against Western Conference teams.

Originally posted by Euell:
Jim Rutherford has made a lot of acquisitions this season, but none bigger IMO than Hornqvist. He has been awesome since day 1. The Pens continue their good play against Western Conference teams.
I will take the Neal for Hornqvist deal any day of the week...was happy to see one come and very happy to see one (he of the inopportune penalty) hit the f'n road!

Sid makes up for the empty net BS penalty call on Fowler (shoulda been an automatic goal), with potting one late...nice to get outta there after withstanding their late charge. And great effort by Hornqvist...I think his first as a Pen was vs Anaheim?

I presume you eventually realized that was the Anaheim local telecast on Fox/Prime Ticket in SoCal......but I gotta' tell you, after watching opposing broadcasts on Center Ice for the last 3 years, I thought that Ducks TV team was actually pretty decent.

Of course, their team was getting its ass handed to it in that 2nd period when I first joined the broadcast, and I admit I fell asleep in the chair and didn't hear much of how they handled Ducks' 3rd period comeback. But what I heard in general from those guys didn't bother me half as much as broadcast duos from places like Boston, Washington, Detroit, and Columbus. What was it specifically you didn't like about them ??

BTW, had you heard the new story (from a local Pittsburgh sports reporter's blog) which stated the team traded Despres far more for reasons OFF the ice than on it ?? Reading between the lines, the implication was that SD became a pretty big headache for the team and for some time. The fact the Pens seemed to receive such a comparatively disappointing return (on paper, at least) leads me to believe his problems WERE known to other team...or perhaps the Pens leveled with the Ducks as to why he was being shopped.

Anyway, if true, it makes me think Anahem was willing to take-on a possible problem child.....possessing some reasonable upside....with hopes the change in scenery would do him good, while costing them little more than a not-part-of-their-core player (and who only cost them a #5 to begin with).

Originally posted by torontoeers:
Sid makes up for the empty net BS penalty call on Fowler (shoulda been an automatic goal), with potting one late...nice to get outta there after withstanding their late charge. And great effort by Hornqvist...I think his first as a Pen was vs Anaheim?
It was. I believe it was the season opener. I hope they can come out with some intensity tonight against the Kings. I believe the Kings were idle last night. They should be well rested compared to the Pens.

Fox doesn't do hockey broadcasts. Fox Sports Network may pick up some regional games from the local broadcasters, but they haven't done NHL games themselves since the 90's.

Originally posted by COOL MAN:
I presume you eventually realized that was the Anaheim local telecast on Fox/Prime Ticket in SoCal......but I gotta' tell you, after watching opposing broadcasts on Center Ice for the last 3 years, I thought that Ducks TV team was actually pretty decent.

Of course, their team was getting its ass handed to it in that 2nd period when I first joined the broadcast, and I admit I fell asleep in the chair and didn't hear much of how they handled Ducks' 3rd period comeback. But what I heard in general from those guys didn't bother me half as much as broadcast duos from places like Boston, Washington, Detroit, and Columbus. What was it specifically you didn't like about them ??

BTW, had you heard the new story (from a local Pittsburgh sports reporter's blog) which stated the team traded Despres far more for reasons OFF the ice than on it ?? Reading between the lines, the implication was that SD became a pretty big headache for the team and for some time. The fact the Pens seemed to receive such a comparatively disappointing return (on paper, at least) leads me to believe his problems WERE known to other team...or perhaps the Pens leveled with the Ducks as to why he was being shopped.

Anyway, if true, it makes me think Anahem was willing to take-on a possible problem child.....possessing some reasonable upside....with hopes the change in scenery would do him good, while costing them little more than a not-part-of-their-core player (and who only cost them a #5 to begin with).
I hadn't heard that one at all! If so, nobody needs a problem in the locker room, so good move under the circumstances...

I think my main issues are 2 fold...1- these guys seem to have a need to fill every free second of dead air with commentary...I just don't find that on our broadcasts or the ones up here for that matter, I'm not sure they need to pander to the 'uneducated' anymore...soCal now has a solid base of fairly knowledgeable fans. Heyward when he first started a few years ago now had little to say worthwhile and it seems to continue imo, and Hebert is about as interesting as watching paint dry...since you mention the local markets in your post, It makes sense to me now...I am highly impressed with the Root team (for a local broadcast)...I suppose I am thinking of it too much on a national level, and Thanks Phil for pointing out that this was a regional feed, really didn't occur to me off the top of my head...I guess a bit similar to our FS 1 feed for EERS games...

The other thing I found highly annoying? The inane whirling disk or whatever the hell it is when they are trying to 'highlight' a certain play from a specific player...I and the majority of those watching the broadcast (especially if it's local would think) know exactly who the heck you're talking about...

Just sayin...now...let's go whip some Kings ass!!!!

Also as far as a national analyst is concerned...Eddie O gains more and more favor in my opinion...clear, to the point, and doesn't mince words...part of this may be the fact he's been a former Pen, Leaf, Hawk, Jet etc...played in some damn good hockey markets and was well respected as a player...
This post was edited on 3/7 9:09 PM by torontoeers

How about Fleury? What a clinic he put on tonight, he was brilliant. Got his 9th shutout of the season. Patric Hornqvist works his ass off every shift, I love it. James Neal never had that. He just sat around and waited for Geno to feed him passes from the point. Hornqvist is a workaholic, that final shift and his game winning goal was mesmerizing. Just astonishing. Never seen that with lazy Neal.

Want to know who else got his 9th shutout of season today? Matt Murray, who is the goalie for the baby Penguins and it was his 4th shutout. This is his 1st year in the AHL. He looks legit, could be very good in a few years. Needs more time to develop and add some weight/muscle though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT