ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Coaches probably moving on

Auburn paid $21 million to get rid of Gus who went an SEC best 3-5 vs Bama. If they hire a guy who is 10-11 overall at WVU (with 2 of those wins vs 1-aa schools) and 7-10 in the weakest Big XII ever without 1 good win in 2 seasons, I say let him go now. He doesn’t have to say goodbye just leave a note saying, “Auburn is paying a boatload more and idk why either????”. The buyout he would owe WVU would offset some of the losses the AD is having. I will say That would be the ULTIMATE AUBURN HIRE, even more so than the all but likely Kevin Steele which is why Auburn is a dysfunctional train wreck!

More hate for a guy building the future. Highest rated recruiting class in decades and people want to run him out of town.

1 out 5 chances of getting hired at Auburn is 2.5 Neal's agent doing a fabulous job a getting his name around.

I don’t hate the guy at all. I don’t have any affection one way or the other.. None of the coaches are my friends and I really don’t care about any of them personally (except Huggins which makes no sense cause I couldn’t care less about basketball). The only WVU coach I ever just flat out can’t stand was & is the Dick.

Most important I just don’t believe Auburn or any program will hire any HBC with a resume’ like Browns over the last 21 games. The guy hasn’t won a big game at all. I wish he was doing great but he hasn’t done anything positive worth mentioning. Who fires Malzagn to hire that?

Yeah there was the Gene Chzick hire at Auburn that done well with $cam Newton for a year. That was a Jay Jacobs hire and he is a Gator now and not the AD. I believe this is most likely an agent trying to spread a story or someone around Auburn trying to send up a false flag... Every indication is the Auburn family (and it’s dysfunctional) is gonna hire Kevin Steele——-??????? Makes no sense ??????

AND btw If Brown doesn’t turn the corner next season, he’s likely out and Lyons is likely out too. Keep in mind it has been widely reported the WVU President Gee wanted Fickel but allowed Lyons to pick Brown. Lyons choice is Lyons accountability, and Lyons being gone would not bother me at all.

and why is everything I’m writing in bold print all of a sudden?

If he wants to get into the SEC and make a splash, then this is his shot.
He will have a couple of years to rebuild and Saban isn’t getting any younger, so this may be his best shot. Wait to get on at Kentucky, just to look up to Florida and Georgia year after year while at a basketball school? Nah.

But this is if he wants in the SEC as a career goal.

More hate for a guy building the future. Highest rated recruiting class in decades and people want to run him out of town.

1 out 5 chances of getting hired at Auburn is 2.5 Neal's agent doing a fabulous job a getting his name around.

No one is running Brown out of town. People are mostly indifferent to him and don't care what he does either way.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Brent Venables over at Clemson will not be offered a HC job any where in America. He is truly nuts and the world football world knows it. He was put on a leash (literally) for some few years down at Clemson. On second thought, most schools will trade their very soul for a few wins on the gridiron. OK, Brent Venables may put on a sideline show when the cameras are rolling, but he won't be successful as a front man! The front man usually has a brain. Well, most front men have a brain. Holgs came up short in the category. Or was he just having a bad hair day every Saturday? It could have been the Red Bull. Who knows? I stopped send Holgs pickles after season three. Think about that for a moment. OK, it's on to the Liberty Bowl where we meet Tennessee. Tennessee is being rewarded for their 3 wins. Or are they being rewarded for losing 6 of their last 7 games? Yeah, that's it. In any event, get your tickets before the covid gets you. Remember, you can get good BBQ in Memphis area but don't forget your mask.

I like NB, but if keeping him requires a 30% or higher pay raise, I'm not sure he's shown enough to make it worth it.

I like NB, but if keeping him requires a 30% or higher pay raise, I'm not sure he's shown enough to make it worth it.

Yeah I guess we should always fire coaches after 2 years. Makes sense. Who wants stability anyway.

Why would anyone want to go to Auburn where they fire coaches that avg, 9.7 wins a year?

3-5 against your top rival. So if you don't win 11 you might as well pack your bags and move on.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess we should always fire coaches after 2 years. Makes sense. Who wants stability anyway.

Why would anyone want to go to Auburn where they fire coaches that avg, 9.7 wins a year?

3-5 against your top rival. So if you don't win 11 you might as well pack your bags and move on.

Here we go again. How does the statement "I don't think we should give a multi-year contract with a 30% or higher increase in pay to keep a guy from taking another job" translate to wanting him fired in your mind? I like Brown and I like his potential, but after 2 seasons I wouldn't be ready to offer him a Holgorsen to Houston like deal to keep him.

Here we go again. How does the statement "I don't think we should give a multi-year contract with a 30% or higher increase in pay to keep a guy from taking another job" translate to wanting him fired in your mind? I like Brown and I like his potential, but after 2 seasons I wouldn't be ready to offer him a Holgorsen to Houston like deal to keep him.

Where do you see an offer of 30%?
Brent Venables over at Clemson will not be offered a HC job any where in America. He is truly nuts and the world football world knows it. He was put on a leash (literally) for some few years down at Clemson. On second thought, most schools will trade their very soul for a few wins on the gridiron. OK, Brent Venables may put on a sideline show when the cameras are rolling, but he won't be successful as a front man! The front man usually has a brain. Well, most front men have a brain. Holgs came up short in the category. Or was he just having a bad hair day every Saturday? It could have been the Red Bull. Who knows? I stopped send Holgs pickles after season three. Think about that for a moment. OK, it's on to the Liberty Bowl where we meet Tennessee. Tennessee is being rewarded for their 3 wins. Or are they being rewarded for losing 6 of their last 7 games? Yeah, that's it. In any event, get your tickets before the covid gets you. Remember, you can get good BBQ in Memphis area but don't forget your mask.

TVZ quit posting as multiple Texas fans.

Auburn paid $21 million to get rid of Gus who went an SEC best 3-5 vs Bama. If they hire a guy who is 10-11 overall at WVU (with 2 of those wins vs 1-aa schools) and 7-10 in the weakest Big XII ever without 1 good win in 2 seasons, I say let him go now. He doesn’t have to say goodbye just leave a note saying, “Auburn is paying a boatload more and idk why either????”. The buyout he would owe WVU would offset some of the losses the AD is having. I will say That would be the ULTIMATE AUBURN HIRE, even more so than the all but likely Kevin Steele which is why Auburn is a dysfunctional train wreck!

Can the AD go to Auburn instead?

Are you kidding. You think 10-11 is a drawback to hiring a coach. A guy that was their lead replacement was 9-36 (1-31) at Baylor.

Neal is not even above the guy at a CUSA school. Neal is on the short list of the if we don't find somebody then....That's the list he is on.

Where do you see an offer of 30%?

TVZ quit posting as multiple Texas fans.

I'm not. What I'm saying is if his agent is using this as leverage to get a bigger pay day on a longer term deal, I wouldn't break the bank trying to match what a team like Auburn may be out there offering. Bottom line is I don't think Neal deserves a big money 5+ year contract and if that is what it takes to keep him from leaving, I'm not sure I'd be upset if he left. One, because I'm not so sure he could deliver. And two, if he leverages here makes it more likely he'll be gone within 1-2 years of delivering a season worthy of the big contract anyway.

I'm not. What I'm saying is if his agent is using this as leverage to get a bigger pay day on a longer term deal, I wouldn't break the bank trying to match what a team like Auburn may be out there offering. Bottom line is I don't think Neal deserves a big money 5+ year contract and if that is what it takes to keep him from leaving, I'm not sure I'd be upset if he left. One, because I'm not so sure he could deliver. And two, if he leverages here makes it more likely he'll be gone within 1-2 years of delivering a season worthy of the big contract anyway.

I wouldn't break the bank for anyone. If he had been 16-5 in 2 years he is probably gone anyway with no negotiations. Same with any coach that comes to WVU from the lower ranks of G5. They want to use it to step up to a better job.

I'm sure he knows if he is still around .500 after 4 seasons he's probably gone anyway.

Fans said the same about Bobby Bowden before he was run off to FSU and built a dynasty. It doesn't matter who coaches WVU they will not be liked by fans. ask Rodriguez or Bill Stewart. People were ready to Fire Rod after his 2nd year.

Don Nehlen types who get paid 500,000 to stay 20 years don't exist anymore unless you're good enough to keep a job at a major player.

WVU should have Gus on speed dial in case Auburn goes wild and hires their last resort Neal Brown.

Regardless of your opinion as to Coach Brown, it wouldn't be good for the program to have to replace him so soon after he was hired.

Go to a school that is a distant second-fiddle in its own state, a prince and pauper scenario in brand name, media coverage, history, and resources......AAAANNNNNDD still Auburn will expect you to beat 'Bama at least half the time.

Auburn is a place that fires coaches only a few years after winning or playing for a NC. And the reason why is because it failed to beat the school that effectively wins, or plays for, the NC EVERY year.

I wouldn't break the bank for anyone. If he had been 16-5 in 2 years he is probably gone anyway with no negotiations. Same with any coach that comes to WVU from the lower ranks of G5. They want to use it to step up to a better job.

I'm sure he knows if he is still around .500 after 4 seasons he's probably gone anyway.

Fans said the same about Bobby Bowden before he was run off to FSU and built a dynasty. It doesn't matter who coaches WVU they will not be liked by fans. ask Rodriguez or Bill Stewart. People were ready to Fire Rod after his 2nd year.

Don Nehlen types who get paid 500,000 to stay 20 years don't exist anymore unless you're good enough to keep a job at a major player.

WVU should have Gus on speed dial in case Auburn goes wild and hires their last resort Neal Brown.

I think that had Bowden stayed he would not have created here what he did at FSU. Just like I'm sure had Belichik (sp?) stayed in Cleveland instead of being ousted to the Patriots he wouldn't have multiple Super Bowl rings.

I can't speak for others, but I was not down on RR. I knew he was trying to make Nehlen pro style set of guys into a spread offense and thus had an atrocious first season. The guys weren't bad, just not to his style. But after watching the 2002 Miami and VT games with RR, it was apparent that he was onto something. I did think he let prima donna attitudes poison the 2003 and 2004 teams. Stewart on the other hand, I was skeptical from the get go due to his resume. The opening loss to ECU by scoring only 3 points with what he inherited reinforced that skepticism. Over the next 2 seasons he proved that he was just to stubborn to adapt. Especially not winning the Big East with a defense that gave up less than 13 points/game during league play and refusing to acknowledge that the offense was a problem.

So what you
I think that had Bowden stayed he would not have created here what he did at FSU. Just like I'm sure had Belichik (sp?) stayed in Cleveland instead of being ousted to the Patriots he wouldn't have multiple Super Bowl rings.

I can't speak for others, but I was not down on RR. I knew he was trying to make Nehlen pro style set of guys into a spread offense and thus had an atrocious first season. The guys weren't bad, just not to his style. But after watching the 2002 Miami and VT games with RR, it was apparent that he was onto something. I did think he let prima donna attitudes poison the 2003 and 2004 teams. Stewart on the other hand, I was skeptical from the get go due to his resume. The opening loss to ECU by scoring only 3 points with what he inherited reinforced that skepticism. Over the next 2 seasons he proved that he was just to stubborn to adapt. Especially not winning the Big East with a defense that gave up less than 13 points/game during league play and refusing to acknowledge that the offense was a problem.

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Auburn is learning a tough lesson...All of us can learn from their mistake Never change just for change sake...always change and shift directions with clarity of purpose and a clear path to become better

2:31 PM · Dec 21, 2020·Twitter Web App

So what you

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt

Auburn is learning a tough lesson...All of us can learn from their mistake Never change just for change sake...always change and shift directions with clarity of purpose and a clear path to become better

2:31 PM · Dec 21, 2020·Twitter Web App

I'm not speaking for Auburn. I will say that WVU needed to move on from Don in 2000, was worse off when RR left in his prime in 2007, needed to move on from Stewart (God rest his soul) in 2010, and needed to move on from Holgorsen by at least 2016. Currently WVU should keep Neal Brown to see what he can deliver. If Brown wants to threaten to walk if he doesn't get a big payday, I'm not convinced that it would be a travesty to let him walk. I'm not saying he should be fired or that I'm down on him. I am saying that I'm not sure he deserves that much, if any, more than what he already has at WVU.

Only reason they got rid of Gus this year was because they didn’t want to wait another two years to do it. AU returns almost their entire team on both sides of the ball next year.

AU likely wins at least 9 without a change in head coach and who knows maybe 10 or more. Making it near impossible to get rid of him.
My guess is this is all smoke and mirrors and they will keep Steele on as head coach. Maybe they have another name in mind that isn’t available this year who knows.

No one that’s currently available will be able to waltz in and sustain the kind of success they want. Made zero sense to get rid of Gus at this time.

Regardless of your opinion as to Coach Brown, it wouldn't be good for the program to have to replace him so soon after he was hired.

Purely speculation but I don't believe the current state of the athletic department is a good one. Seems like there is some yucky internal politics, most likely from university bureaucracy.

I think his agent is letting it be known to these schools that he is open to leaving...and not just angling for pay raise, NB is actively being shopped - not unusual but it's only year 2 (1 1/2 really) with mediocre results, not the type of situation where a coach is normally up for a prestigious job.

I think the VK fiasco was an internal mess and the aftermath is stuck in NB's craw.

Last edited:
I don’t hate the guy at all. I don’t have any affection one way or the other.. None of the coaches are my friends and I really don’t care about any of them personally (except Huggins which makes no sense cause I couldn’t care less about basketball). The only WVU coach I ever just flat out can’t stand was & is the Dick.

Most important I just don’t believe Auburn or any program will hire any HBC with a resume’ like Browns over the last 21 games. The guy hasn’t won a big game at all. I wish he was doing great but he hasn’t done anything positive worth mentioning. Who fires Malzagn to hire that?

Yeah there was the Gene Chzick hire at Auburn that done well with $cam Newton for a year. That was a Jay Jacobs hire and he is a Gator now and not the AD. I believe this is most likely an agent trying to spread a story or someone around Auburn trying to send up a false flag... Every indication is the Auburn family (and it’s dysfunctional) is gonna hire Kevin Steele——-??????? Makes no sense ??????

AND btw If Brown doesn’t turn the corner next season, he’s likely out and Lyons is likely out too. Keep in mind it has been widely reported the WVU President Gee wanted Fickel but allowed Lyons to pick Brown. Lyons choice is Lyons accountability, and Lyons being gone would not bother me at all.

and why is everything I’m writing in bold print all of a sudden?

Sorry to disappoint but Brown will be here no less than 4 years.

If Gee wanted Fickell then Fickell would be here. Quit acting like Lyons has all the control.

Fickell only other P5 HC experience 6-7 (3-5) at Ohio State none the less with a with a returning offense and defense.

Last time with you on Brown I’m not disappointed or excited. I really do bot care that much cause I have no say in the natter.

Last time with you on Brown I’m not disappointed or excited. I really do bot care that much cause I have no say in the natter.

I don't know what natter is.

I am excited cause I can see the growth. Most others think you snap fingers and it's automatic 10 wins every year. Cupboard was bare essentials when he got here, Used duct tape the past 2 years just to get 10 wins where most coaches in the past would crumbled. Cignetti got 4 years Neal Brown will get 4 years to prove himself.

If he has 5 wins next year his butt will be red on the hot seat and a must prove season in year 4. That will be the decision year.

I just saw where 64 year old Terry Bowden got hired at ULM. That is Louisiana Monroe or the Duck Dynasty Neighborhood University.

I winder how often he slaps himself for turning down offers to be the HBC at a few places in the late 90s and early 00s.

I just saw where 64 year old Terry Bowden got hired at ULM. That is Louisiana Monroe or the Duck Dynasty Neighborhood University.

I winder how often he slaps himself for turning down offers to be the HBC at a few places in the late 90s and early 00s.

Apparently he has been a graduate assistant at Clemson the last 2 seasons, while pursuing a Masters Degree....

How Dana can keep his job at Houston is about the same as how can Scott Frost keep his job at Nebraska. I mean ??????

Major Applewhite won 9 games his last year at Houston and got smoked vs Army in a Bowl Game and got FIRED!!! Dana won’t win 9 games in 2 years and Houston is getting smoked again in a Bowl Game!!!! Can you say inconsistent treatment???

Bo Pelini>>>>>>>Mike Riley >> Scott Frost. What nude pics does Frost have to keep his job??

Wow, big mess on Rocky Top. Before anybody asks, there is no way that HCNB would step into that mess.

Wow, big mess on Rocky Top. Before anybody asks, there is no way that HCNB would step into that mess.

it depends...it's near KY. If there are major sanctions coming, he'd demand huge bucks for that gig.
If not...he'd do it yesterday, even if the pay was equal.

I think any coach taking on a school getting major sanctions can pretty much guarantee their teams will suck and they will be fired as soon as those sanctions are lifted. I'm sure there are exception, bu that seems to be the pattern.

I think any coach taking on a school getting major sanctions can pretty much guarantee their teams will suck and they will be fired as soon as those sanctions are lifted. I'm sure there are exception, bu that seems to be the pattern.

I think that’s why they decided to bring in Kevin Steele. Let him be the coach while they try and weather the storm of any sanctions/bans/etc and then hire their true pick after the sanctions.

Reactions: KingCoal
All these coaches gone in a covid year that someone said would be no firing of coaches.

All these coaches gone in a covid year that someone said would be no firing of coaches.

I wouldn’t doubt if next year there is some rebound firing to make up for the amount this year. It didn’t happen as much as a normal year, but the amount that happened ended up being surprising. Id say the coaches in the PAC-12 have to be feeling some pressure after this year.

Reactions: KingCoal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT