ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Coaches probably moving on

3xWVUenginEER

All-Conference
Dec 7, 2005
well moving one way or the other

I like talking about/watching this as much as college football itself and let’s face it the games tonight kind of suck

On the HOT seat
-Will Musschamp at USC (gamecocks). They wanted to fire you last last season but Jimmy Sexton got his buyout soooo high they couldn’t afford it. I’ll bet they find the $$$$$ after this year. They’re 2-4 & Jimbo embarrassed them.
-Jim Harbaugh. Year 6 and he’s 1-2 with an ass licking from the worthless nuts still coming at seasons end. Btw 0-6 vs Ohio State. Heck Brady Hoke won 1 time in 3 seasons.
-Dana Holgorsen is still sniffing and snorting and still his teams play no defense. They fired Applewhite who won 9 games his last season. Dana won’t win 9 in 2 years. I got to believe HTown has buyers remorse at $4 million a year
-Scott Frost probably needs to coach in that P6 conference cause Mike Riley and Mad Dawg Crazy Ass Bo Pelini both did better at Nebraska in the B1G than you have. Not only in Big Red the worse program in the B1G with an N on the helmet (Northwestern) but you’re also the worse team in red playing your games at a Memorial Stadium for Home Games (Indiana).
-Tom Herman still sucks in a bad big XII. You need officials with bad
calls to help you beat Ok State and WVU? He ain’t a guy that will last.
-Mt Potato Head Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee. He has had moments but he ain’t a HC. Serious he ain’t beat FL, GA, AL, and has even lost to KY. He’s getting killed by 1st year HC Sam Pittman of Arkansas who has done awesome in year one.
—Chip Kelly at UCLA ain’t sitting the world on fire either.. Year 3 which is only 6 games isn’t looking better than years 1 or 2. No defense at all.

Got to be getting offers
-whoever the dude is at Coastal Carolina. Do not know the name without googling but it is clear you’re better than Musschamp.
-Hugh Freeze at Liberty. You have 2 ACC Road wins which is as many or more than quite a few ACC Schools. That dude knows how to coach. And that means no one really at a P5 school will will care that your phone called hookers. It maybe explains though the surge in Ole Miss recruiting while you were there. I’m betting Auburn, SC, and quite a few others are calling Sexton.
-Tom Allen at Indiana. The dude is winning at Indiana. He’ll they don’t even win at Basketball in Indiana, yet he’s winning in football. All I can say is this guy is getting more out of less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Tom Herman won't be fired until 2021 when chokes away another shot at Big 12 title.

Hugh Freeze at Liberty has NC State left to play and Coastal Carolina. They have played a tougher schedule than Marshall.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Matt Wells could be the only coach fired in the Big 12 this season

But I think they should give him another year.

Could be going back to Utah State. They love him there

Regards to Herman...
He is only two plays from being 7-0 right now.

If it comes down to it. I think he trusts his team much better than Riley does at OU.

Texas played an average game and still had numerous chances to win.
Will be a different story if they played again.

I agree Tom Herman won’t be fired this year, but the guy sucks in a pathetic Big XII. This is the weakest Big XII ever (over 25 years). There isn’t one good qb in the league.

Hugh Freeze will go 3-0 in the ACC by seasons end then with 3 road wins. The Coastal Carolina game is probably the toughest game they have left. Liberty was ranked 25th coming in to yesterday. Liberty mind you. Freeze can’t be there much longer.

For OU and Texas to play again. Texas needs Oklahoma State to lose another game and Texas must beat ISU and KSU. Doable but they also could lose them. Oklahoma needs to beat OSU, Baylor and WVU. Doable but they could also lose.

ISU has toughest go with games vs KSU, @ Texas and vs WVU.
Oklahoma State has @ OU, vs TTU, @ TCU, @ Baylor.
KSU @ ISU, @ Baylor, vs Texas.

It's going to be a wild finish. Yesterdays Texas game was more or less an elimination game for the loser.

I agree Tom Herman won’t be fired this year, but the guy sucks in a pathetic Big XII. This is the weakest Big XII ever (over 25 years). There isn’t one good qb in the league.

Hugh Freeze will go 3-0 in the ACC by seasons end then with 3 road wins. The Coastal Carolina game is probably the toughest game they have left. Liberty was ranked 25th coming in to yesterday. Liberty mind you. Freeze can’t be there much longer.

There are a few types of college coaches.

Some coaches change from one to another during their career.

As of now Herman is a guy who is bringing in talent. Enough talent to sustain the program.
The issue for Texas was more talent than coaching.

Best coaches bring in talent, develop the talent into NFL drafts picks and win at a high level.

But if there isn't one of those coaches out there available and you have a coach who is bringing in talent and developing the talent you stick with him for the time being.

After his first three years Herman had 10 NFL drafts picks
He could double that in the next three years.

Then he pretty much becomes James Franklin.
Like Penn State Texas will keep him around for the time being just as long as he is maintaining the program.

Until they see a coach who can do a better job.

There are a few types of college coaches.

Some coaches change from one to another during their career.

As of now Herman is a guy who is bringing in talent. Enough talent to sustain the program.
The issue for Texas was more talent than coaching.

Best coaches bring in talent, develop the talent into NFL drafts picks and win at a high level.

But if there isn't one of those coaches out there available and you have a coach who is bringing in talent and developing the talent you stick with him for the time being.

After his first three years Herman had 10 NFL drafts picks
He could double that in the next three years.

Then he pretty much becomes James Franklin.
Like Penn State Texas will keep him around for the time being just as long as he is maintaining the program.

Until they see a coach who can do a better job.

Its not hard to bring talent into Texas...that doesnt seem like an achievement. It's the wealthiest school in the most talent-abundant state in the country.

Seems like that should be the baseline.

Not going to win unless you have high level talent

Don't care who you have coaching.
High level talent isn't created automatically

The issue for a lot of these coaches is taking the correct job.
Herman could have taken that LSU job. The talent level on their roster compared to Texas was much higher after the 2016 season...

He took over a program that had high expectations without the talent.
But now the talent is there.
So he has a couple of years to show he can win.

Really tough to fire coaches this year. Every school is, including those who spend irresponsibly, bleeding if not hemorrhaging money. Firing coaching staffs is very expensive.

What I find funny about hemorrhaging $$$$ in college football is the school ADs NEVER try to make $$$$ or even break even. They just keep the losses to a minimum by spending more (salaries, infrastructure including a water slide at Clemson, etc) and then raise prices to get more out of fans, alumni, & donors.

That is on the boosters and not the universities themselves...

Some people on these message boards who constantly complain about coaches should understand this

Make some money...
Then you have the power to get your coach fired. Whining on a message board doesn't change anything. Cash does.

This is why CV doesn't change much.
Boosters are still the ones who pay the buyout because in most cases they are the ones who hired the coach.

Just look at your local HS Football program and times that by a 1000.

That is on the boosters and not the universities themselves...

Some people on these message boards who constantly complain about coaches should understand this

Make some money...
Then you have the power to get your coach fired. Whining on a message board doesn't change anything. Cash does.

This is why CV doesn't change much.
Boosters are still the ones who pay the buyout because in most cases they are the ones who hired the coach.

Just look at your local HS Football program and times that by a 1000.
And believe me, boosters are the worst thing ever to happen to college athletics.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
And believe me, boosters are the worst thing ever to happen to college athletics.

They are college athletics...
You cannot separate one from the other truthfully.

The Fielding Yost story at Michigan. The original power of CFB was a creation of big money Detroit industrialist.
They pulled out the red carpet and brought him in from I believe Stanford.

120 years ago. Been game on since then.
Michigan receives their due credit from anyone in the know because they created the current situation around the game.

Michigan was accused of cheating and paying players...

Was actually by the AD at Stanford who was upset that Yost left.
Accused Yost and the Michigan AD

Nothing really has changed except the people involved and who is at the top.

I’m betting Jim Franklins seat is getting uncomfortable after today and probably next Saturday too.

I still think Scott Frost has next year to show something or he’s done. There’s a difference between P5 conference coaching and G5 conference coaching. Big Red ain’t what it was under Bo Pelini.

also Lovie Smith at Illinois cause to only get a win at Rutgers with 1st year Schiano is a not much

Last edited:
Bama is trying to create smoke around Muschamp.

Saban could be interested in reuniting with Muschamp

He as of right now is the one to watch.
As well as Matt Wells.

They are college athletics...
You cannot separate one from the other truthfully.

The Fielding Yost story at Michigan. The original power of CFB was a creation of big money Detroit industrialist.
They pulled out the red carpet and brought him in from I believe Stanford.

120 years ago. Been game on since then.
Michigan receives their due credit from anyone in the know because they created the current situation around the game.
It's still wild to me that a WVU law school grad becomes the father of Michigan football.

The Khakis has to be with the hottest seat in football. His team has quit! They’re getting rolled 28-0. Unless COV19 cancels the rest of their season, he should be canned. They’re not even playing and they can’t be this bad.

The most ironic thing to me is Wisky plays traditional football (I formation TEs, running the ball, using a FB and extra lineman ie not the spread) and that’s what the Khakis used to play. Don’t think the change in philosophy and scheme is working for the Khakis.

Last edited:
well moving one way or the other

I like talking about/watching this as much as college football itself and let’s face it the games tonight kind of suck

On the HOT seat
-Will Musschamp at USC (gamecocks). They wanted to fire you last last season but Jimmy Sexton got his buyout soooo high they couldn’t afford it. I’ll bet they find the $$$$$ after this year. They’re 2-4 & Jimbo embarrassed them.
-Jim Harbaugh. Year 6 and he’s 1-2 with an ass licking from the worthless nuts still coming at seasons end. Btw 0-6 vs Ohio State. Heck Brady Hoke won 1 time in 3 seasons.
-Dana Holgorsen is still sniffing and snorting and still his teams play no defense. They fired Applewhite who won 9 games his last season. Dana won’t win 9 in 2 years. I got to believe HTown has buyers remorse at $4 million a year
-Scott Frost probably needs to coach in that P6 conference cause Mike Riley and Mad Dawg Crazy Ass Bo Pelini both did better at Nebraska in the B1G than you have. Not only in Big Red the worse program in the B1G with an N on the helmet (Northwestern) but you’re also the worse team in red playing your games at a Memorial Stadium for Home Games (Indiana).
-Tom Herman still sucks in a bad big XII. You need officials with bad
calls to help you beat Ok State and WVU? He ain’t a guy that will last.
-Mt Potato Head Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee. He has had moments but he ain’t a HC. Serious he ain’t beat FL, GA, AL, and has even lost to KY. He’s getting killed by 1st year HC Sam Pittman of Arkansas who has done awesome in year one.
—Chip Kelly at UCLA ain’t sitting the world on fire either.. Year 3 which is only 6 games isn’t looking better than years 1 or 2. No defense at all.

Got to be getting offers
-whoever the dude is at Coastal Carolina. Do not know the name without googling but it is clear you’re better than Musschamp.
-Hugh Freeze at Liberty. You have 2 ACC Road wins which is as many or more than quite a few ACC Schools. That dude knows how to coach. And that means no one really at a P5 school will will care that your phone called hookers. It maybe explains though the surge in Ole Miss recruiting while you were there. I’m betting Auburn, SC, and quite a few others are calling Sexton.
-Tom Allen at Indiana. The dude is winning at Indiana. He’ll they don’t even win at Basketball in Indiana, yet he’s winning in football. All I can say is this guy is getting more out of less.
Add James Franklin of Sandusky State to the list. He wasn't in great shape entering the season, and going 0-4 has heads exploding all over this state. The really weird cult of JoePaBots are ready to burn the poor guy at the stake. Sandusky State fans are almost as delusional as ND fans.

I saw this article and it speaks to how utterly stupids ADs are who get themselves cornered.

The Musschamp contract is the one I look at and just say Jimmy Sexton has to be the greatest agent ever. The fact he has that kind of buyout is so amazing. He’s wasn’t successful at Florida. What made them think he’d be a winner at SC to give him that kind of buyout?

SC just fired Musschamp so $15 million going his way. Well minus the agent fees and then taxes.

Last edited:
People at ULL were saying that S Carolina boosters have been in contact with Billy Napier since September. This is why I had a good idea he was gone.
With the decline in the oil industry I highly doubt they put up much of a fight. But who knows.
Good chance Napier ends up there.

I don’t see how Scott Frost can keep his job given how Mike Riley was shown the door after 3 seasons and he had 1 winning season (9-4). Riley was 19-19 overall and 12-14 in the B1G and got FIRED after 3. Frost isn’t close to that in any way.

James Franklin is at 0-5. The seat has to be getting warm too.

how can the mullet at Ok State keep his job by going 2-14 vs Oklahoma? You had a Billionaire name T Boone give $100 million and you still can’t beat your “rival” anymore than that? Is there another in stare series this lop sided with one coach?

Last edited:
Again what does Scott Frost have as a coach to where he deserves another year? His team as a whole (but on the Oline especially) is undisciplined and he’s benching a multi year starter for a freshman who’s a turnover machine.

Tom Herman—-haha. Keep him there. Oklahoma loves him. It’s like the Khakis to Ohio State. If they fire him though I’m sure the next HC at Texas will be the ANSWER just like the last 2 hires at Texas. Imagine how many more losses they’d have if the officiating was not so helpful to Texas.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and Euell
I’m sure there are folks in Texas that are asking themselves: “What was so bad that we felt we needed to get rid of Mack Brown for ?”

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Mack Brown was far better than either of the next 2 hires Texas has made.

I still say just imagine Herman’s record this year if the officials didn’t help them like they have. They got 3 second half homer calls/no calls vs WVU. At Ok State in OT, you had 1 for sure, but possibly 2 Texas players, that committed targeting on the same play on an Ok State RB and no call was made. The Ok State mullet was going nuts.

That’s likely 2 more loses for Herman. That means all other things held constant Texas is at 3-5. And this is in THE WORST BIG XIII EVER. Yes this Big XII conference is the worst it’s ever been cause there is not ONE good qb in this league. Add in Shane Buechele is a much better college qb than Sam Ehrlinger who got the knod from Herman and I don’t know how Herman can survive.

The reason I don’t think Texas will ever go to another conference is no other conference would ever give them the kind of calls they get on a routine basis.

Last edited:
Really tough to fire coaches this year. Every school is, including those who spend irresponsibly, bleeding if not hemorrhaging money. Firing coaching staffs is very expensive.

Doesn't seem to be that difficult as there has been 3 or 4 fired already.

Tom Herman has the maturity of an 11yo boy. He’s a perfect fit for Texass and their “larger than life” perception.

When will Herman get a Female Kicker? He needs someone to hug and cry with on the sidelines.

Add Kevin Sumlin at Zona and Les Myles at Kansas. How many bad coaching jobs can these coaches have?

It's still wild to me that a WVU law school grad becomes the father of Michigan football.

Eligibility rules back in Yost day, well there weren't any...

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

In October 1896, after his team, WV, lost three home games to Lafayette, played on three different fields over the course of three days. Yost became a remarkable personification of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." He transferred in mid-season to join Coach Parke H. Davis's national championship team at Lafayette. Just a week after playing against Davis in West Virginia, Yost was playing for Davis in Lafayette's historic 6-4 win over the Penn Quakers

The fortuitous timing of his appearance on the Lafayette roster did not go unnoticed by Penn officials. They called it "the Yost affair." The Philadelphia Ledger quoted Yost as saying that he came to Lafayette only to play football. The fact that he appeared in a Lafayette uniform only once, in the Penn game, and that he returned to West Virginia within two weeks of the contest did not help appearances. He assured all concerned that he would return to Lafayette for at least three years of study.

Add Kevin Sumlin at Zona and Les Myles at Kansas. How many bad coaching jobs can these coaches have?

I think the list of coaches who can make a real difference is very, very short...everyone else is a matter of timing, luck...and opportunism.

What do fans think NB is actually going to do @ WVU? Top end MAYBE play/win a B12 title?

I cant imagine he ever puts WVU into a playoff.

I think if we can compete for B12 C C G 3-5 times in a decade we would have done a terrific job, and would have accomplished this with 2 different coaches over said decade. If we look at the history of the CFP, I believe the Big12 has never been higher than the 4th seed. So we would need to be one of the top 2 in regular season, with at most one loss. Win the C C G. Then most likely beat the 1 seed. I can only dream, but that is a lot of stares lining up.

I partially agree. And I’m just saying there are so many coaches who have 1 good year or 2 with a 1 trick pony offense that everyone figures out over time and then the wheels come off and they get fired. Then they move on to another school and The bottled success they had isn’t duplicated. Why does a Muschamp or Sumlin or Myles or ..... keep getting these HC opportunities? These ADs who hire them are stupid. Jimmy Sexton is playing these schools and it’s the worst negotiating by supposed educated people.

The worst is when an A P5 assistant from Saban or Urb gets hired and these schools think they’ll be Bama or Florida/Ohio State. The only Saban assistant I know of with a National Title is Jimbo. I don’t know of 1 assistant from the Meyer regime who has one. The only ones who’ve done really well are Day and Whittingham. Mullen is okay to good (meaning he ain’t been fired yet).

As for Neil Brown I have no idea. Hope for the best but don’t know. He’s not had a MARQUI win at WVU, but it’s only year 2. The loss at Texas was bad officiating but his game plan and 2nd half strategy wasn’t anything special from the offense. And beating Texas is not a great win anyway—-they suck. Beating Texas means you’re definitely better cause you have to beat Texas + officiating. The Big XII is down big time this year. There’s Oklahoma and Iowa State left to play. They would both be good wins. If WVU can get a split I’m happy. Win them both and that’s even better. My guts says it won’t be good.

Last edited:
HCNB will feel no heat until year 4. If not not winning his seat will be extremely warm.

As for the rumors that Neal Brown is being considered as South Carolina's new coach: Sporting News doesn't even list Neal among the 9 or so candidates.

South Carolina head coaching candidates
Billy Napier, Louisiana coach
Napier is an excellent fit. He played quarterback at Furman and was an assistant at Clemson from 2006-10. His experience as an assistant under Nick Saban at Alabama makes him even more intriguing, not to mention his track record at Louisiana (25-11) the past three seasons. This year, the Ragin' Cajuns are 7-1 and ranked No. 24 in The Associated Press Top 25. He has to be considered the leading candidate for the job.

Hugh Freeze, Liberty coach
Yep, the Freeze watch is on again in the SEC. Freeze is 16-5 the past two seasons at Liberty and he has not lost his touch as a brilliant offensive mind. Freeze also had an excellent track record — on the field — at Ole Miss from 2012-16. Of course, 27 of his 39 victories were vacated by the NCAA. Freeze deserves a second chance in the SEC. Is the conference ready to provide that opportunity?

Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator
Would South Carolina dare go after their biggest rival’s longtime defensive coordinator? Venables has been with the Tigers since 2012, and the 49-year-old has yet to entertain taking on a head coaching job. The Tigers have won six in a row against the Gamecocks, but this is the kind of aggressive hire that might be worth taking a chance on given how many coaching searches Venables' name might turn up in this offseason. The chances here are slim, but it would be the most entertaining hire on this list.

Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina coach
Chadwell has quickly worked his way up the coaching ladder through the Palmetto State. He started at North Greenville in Division II and Charleston Southern in the FCS, but the real breakthrough has come with Coastal Carolina this year. The Chanticleers are 7-0 in Chadwell's third season, and they have done it with an offense that averages 37.9 points per game.

Steve Sarkisian, Alabama offensive coordinator
Sarkisian has head-coaching experience at two major programs in Washington and USC, and he compiled a 46-35 record. Sarkisian has revived his career with a stint as Alabama's offensive coordinator that is not all that different from what Lane Kiffin did before him. Sarkisian could parlay that offensive creativity into a third head coaching job, and the expectations might not be quite as high as they were at his last two stops. It could work.

Will Healy, Charlotte coach
Healy is one of the under-the-radar candidates in this search. He's 9-9 the last two seasons at Charlotte, but the 49ers are still new to the FBS stage. He knows the recruiting terrain within the Carolina borders, and at 35 he would be the most youthful hire. South Carolina might not ready to take this gamble, but he's a name to watch if some of the other options take a pass.

Joe Brady, Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator
Brady's work with Joe Burrow at LSU produced one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time, but the move to the NFL after just one season in Baton Rouge suggests he might not be ready to come back to the college game. South Carolina might have to overpay to get Brady, who does not have FBS head-coaching experience. He's still a hot name, however, so he's worth a look

I hope we are not about to see if our HC himself, really...Trusts the climb?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT