ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Christmas Dinner

Does the meat overpower everything? Also, why type of texture does it usually have? It sounds very interesting since I’ve never had Mince meat pie.

I asked about the constituents because I grew up eating mince (meat) pie. As I understand it the idea of mince meat was brought here with very early settlers. It was full of raisins, apples, other available fruits, spices and a lot of scrap meats (venison, beef, and (we often used) the meat from a pig's head. Very dense, spicy and a meal in itself. Unfortunately we have exhausted out frozen (Or canned) supply and getting the meat for making more is much more difficult now. I am not hunting as I once did. Pigs heads are much harder to get from the chain groceries. Plus, it is a rather time consuming task to do the preparation, However, I really do miss that wonderful taste at the holidays.

Anyone care to share what they are cooking for Christmas.

This evening I’m leaning toward a couple grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Not sure about tomorrow.

If a person spends decades rebuffing kind gestures from good friends and loving relatives that’s the type of answer that gets typed.

Does the meat overpower everything? Also, why type of texture does it usually have? It sounds very interesting since I’ve never had Mince meat pie.
The texture is hard to describe. With all the fruit and other ingredients added to make the martial easily transformable into a pie I would liken it to chopped Bar B Que with a lot of non-tomato sauce (e.g. eastern NC vinegar sauce) added. As I said earlier a piece of this pie is nearly a meal in itself (although we have generally eaten it as a dessert except it makes a substantial breakfast by itself.

This evening I’m leaning toward a couple grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Not sure about tomorrow.

If a person spends decades rebuffing kind gestures from good friends and loving relatives that’s the type of answer that gets typed.

Nice!

Well i hope everyones dinners went well and were delishious....on to New Years.

Pork and Sauerkraut, latkes.....probably some mash potatoes.

My aunt was the pierogi maker of the family and she passed away two years ago so not sure if anyone is stepping up.

We host new years day. In laws do NYE and have shrimp cocktail, and a variety of other dishes. Nothing to heavy.

My wife will deep fry a 16 lbs. turkey this year. This is her first attempt at this method of cooking a bird. OK...........I have given her all the instructions. 1. Make sure the bird is frozen solid. 2. Place deep fryer in the kitchen area. 3. Turn on fryer and heat peanut oil to about 400 Degrees F. 4. Remove turkey from freezer and immediately drop in peanut oil. 5. Call me when things settle down............right after the fire truck leaves. 6. My phone won't accept a collect call. Warez

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT