ADVERTISEMENT

OT: But WV related , Should historical statues be taken down ?

I know I shouldn't but can't help it... one of the many things I love about West Virginia is that our genesis as a state is rooted in a rejection of the confederacy in the interest of remaining part of the union. Why on earth we there would be any sort of confederate iconography in our state is beyond me. It's not who we are.

Can understand where thoughts of some are coming from, but where does this end? I can see the day coming when someone says, "Hey, Washington, Jefferson, Madison and more had slaves. We don't want to see their statues--take 'em down.

Too much emphasis is placed on statues. You learn infinitely more from a textbook than you do from any statue.

Take 'em all down for all I care. Piss on Robert E. Lee's grave while you're at it. Just make sure the textbooks and related written history are thorough, accurate and nuanced enough to properly understand the causes and effects of the war and the reconstruction that followed.

If society is using statues to hold on to prejudice feelings/opinions from past history and believe in the morality of that time should still be embraced in todays world, then no, I am not in favor of keeping them around. But to honor someone in past history who showed courage and what is now acceptable morals in todays world with a statue would be fine. As everyone is aware, it's a very tricky subject with many points to debate about. I just expressed my own personal opinion. This subject is tearing at the very heart of America. Sad to say

Reactions: POWVA
Those that ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Why do we want to forget the darkest time of our nation when so much of our greatness has been a direct result of it? Some of my western Virginia ancestors were confederate soldiers, but none of them were slave owners. They were not rich by any means, but, I believe, they fought for their homes and their families. Should their sacrifices be forgotten because some people 150 years later don't like slavery? NOBODY LIKES SLAVERY. But that doesn't change any situation our country experienced generations before our births. We should learn from history, good and bad, not destroy it.

Should we embrace history and learn from it ,or remove it because we think it's offensive ?

I will wade in. There shouldn't be a blanket policy. There should be some context given to it.

Should Gettysburg be wiped clean of Confederate Statues? Some want that. I don't agree.

Is the courthouse square in some random town where no battles were fought the best place to maintain a memorial or statue? Probably not.

But this issue like most today is being argued by extremist on both sides that can't have a reasonable appreciation for the thoughts and opinions of those with which they disagree. Most issues have a middle ground but those with the loudest voices seem to have a harder and harder time finding it and those that can aren't heard through the shouting from those on the extremes.

94bbad59c3dd09723d368d98d8a35084.jpg

Reactions: Cheers
Too much emphasis is placed on statues. You learn infinitely more from a textbook than you do from any statue.

Take 'em all down for all I care. Piss on Robert E. Lee's grave while you're at it. Just make sure the textbooks and related written history are thorough, accurate and nuanced enough to properly understand the causes and effects of the war and the reconstruction that followed.

You expect people to read?

But seriously, I do believe that statues and memorials present a teaching opportunity. I have been asked by my children what different ones were and they create an opening to teach them about history, the beliefs people hold or held and why we should think differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: popmurtha
I can't believe many suggest this would abruptly stop at statues.

What makes you think that? Dead cops? False narratives? Stories of Russian boogeyman under the bed?

The flag was around during times of slavery and racism. How long before that's next on the chopping block ... because it will be. Hell, you have schools in California that already deem it offensive and refuse to fly it because it might "offend".

You guys are smarter than this. I think you know it ain't gonna stop at statues if it ever got rolling. It would then go "real world" ... flesh & blood ... not cold, lifeless concrete.

It's all by design to bring America to heel. Damn shame more people aren't awake to recognize it.

Most of the people promoting taking the statues down or forcibly taking the statues down do not really care. This is not about taking statues down it is about attacking the President, our government, our freedom and anyone who is white. These people have links to communist, terrorist and anarchist organizations.

I know that there are some well meaning people out there who are bothered and offended by some of these statues and I believe and argument can be made for taking some down depending upon when and where they were placed, but once again people need to realize that antifa and similar groups are evil and are not trying to remove statues just because they are offended.

Most of the people promoting taking the statues down or forcibly taking the statues down do not really care. This is not about taking statues down it is about attacking the President, our government, our freedom and anyone who is white. These people have links to communist, terrorist and anarchist organizations.

I know that there are some well meaning people out there who are bothered and offended by some of these statues and I believe and argument can be made for taking some down depending upon when and where they were placed, but once again people need to realize that antifa and similar groups are evil and are not trying to remove statues just because they are offended.

Not a chance.

It's impossible to be racist towards white people.

"And when memory failed and written records were falsified—when that happened, the claim of the Party to have improved the conditions of human life had got to be accepted, because there did not exist, and never again could exist, any standard against which it could be tested." George Orwell, 1984.

Combine the radical Left's efforts to destroy history with a school system that has stopped teaching history, and we have a very dark future. Just try to engage a millenial or Gen x'er in a discussion about history and you will quickly find out that the lights are on but no one is home. For most of them, history began the day they were born. Destroying history because it offends some is not new. Hitler did it, Lenin and Stalin did it, and both ISIS and the American Left engage in it today.

What makes you think that? Dead cops? False narratives? Stories of Russian boogeyman under the bed?

The flag was around during times of slavery and racism. How long before that's next on the chopping block ... because it will be. Hell, you have schools in California that already deem it offensive and refuse to fly it because it might "offend".

You guys are smarter than this. I think you know it ain't gonna stop at statues if it ever got rolling. It would then go "real world" ... flesh & blood ... not cold, lifeless concrete.

It's all by design to bring America to heel. Damn shame more people aren't awake to recognize it.
You're exactly right. What they want is our sovereignty! That's standing in the way for the NWO. The only way to get that done. Is to create hate and distinction in the good ole USA. Take away a man's faith, and you have him whipped.

You're exactly right. What they want is our sovereignty! That's standing in the way for the NWO. The only way to get that done. Is to create hate and distinction in the good ole USA. Take away a man's faith, and you have him whipped.
That was dis-function auto correct got me

I wonder if we need to shut down VMI and the Citadel? I mean after all, VMI carried the battle of New Market and celebrate it annually with a muster call. As we know, cadets from the Citadel fired on Ft Sumpter. Surely these institutions of slavery shouldn't be allowed to continue slapping people in the face for events that occurred 5 generations previous.

Who would FSU and Alabama use to pad their win totals?

Last edited:
about 70% of the signatories of The Declaration of Independence owned slaves...

let's ditch that too...

off topic board...

There may be too much emphasis placed on them, but, in general, I think statues are a legitimate point of interest and education when placed and used properly. You can't eliminate "isms" by tearing down or removing statues. I can argue there are not enough of them. E.g., leave the Stonewall Jackson statues up, but then build one for Booker T. Washington who grew up in WV, and then one for Frederick Douglass who gave a famous speech in Harper's Ferry on John Brown's raid. If people can see that one set of individuals is being honored while another isn't, you're gonna have problems.

Now if it's a Rich Rod statue . . . Time to dynamite.

I know I shouldn't but can't help it... one of the many things I love about West Virginia is that our genesis as a state is rooted in a rejection of the confederacy in the interest of remaining part of the union. Why on earth we there would be any sort of confederate iconography in our state is beyond me. It's not who we are.

Stonewall says eat shit Yankee
Stonewall-Jackson-Charleston.jpg

Maybe the people that have so much time on their hands to protest everything should take a day off from their incessant whining.

I am so feakin' sick of listening to the the stupid arguments about how everything offends everyone.

If we want to tear down everything that has the name of someone of questionable reputation, there will mass demolition.

Political discussions are creating a greater divide in this country and we are heading for an even uglier days ahead.

Now public figures are openly calling for the assassination of a sitting President. This country is pretty f-d up.

Just make sure the textbooks and related written history are thorough, accurate and nuanced enough to properly understand the causes and effects of the war and the reconstruction that followed.

I hear you. But I don't think that many are interested in any of that, unless it's posted on the internet. Then it must be real... and accurate.

Reactions: popmurtha
I love the distractions caused by statues, bathrooms, trump and the Russians. It lets some of us make some money while the dummies aren't looking. By the time the fools on the left notice, we will have the courts packed with pro business and your useless regulations will be dismantled for 20 years. Long live America and good ole capitalism.

I love the distractions caused by statues, bathrooms, trump and the Russians. It lets some of us make some money while the dummies aren't looking. By the time the fools on the left notice, we will have the courts packed with pro business and your useless regulations will be dismantled for 20 years. Long live America and good ole capitalism.

Useless regulations like the clean water act?

Trump's Attack on Clean Water: What You Need to Know | NRDC
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/trumps-attack-clean-water-what-you-need-know

Reactions: Dave in the Burgh

Insecure much? Wow. That was quite a speech (and ripped straight from intellectual giant Sean Hannity). Believe it might be you that sees a boogeyman behind every corner. Yes, they are coming after the America flag next. Sweet Jesus.

Insecure much? Wow. That was quite a speech (and ripped straight from intellectual giant Sean Hannity). Believe it might be you that sees a boogeyman behind every corner. Yes, they are coming after the America flag next. Sweet Jesus.
Unless they are hypocrites, the protesters should be coming after the American Flag. That is the symbol of the country which allowed slavery in North America for nearly 100 years. But this issue is nothing but hypocrisy so why start being rational now?

Some folk choose and desire to remain offended by nearly everything and, of course, anything. These folks are, to me, anarchists and only consider their own interests and desires. They are hurtful people and care nothing about others, especially those who might look and think differently then themselves. To them I say "GROW UP!" I cpu;d rant further but will refrain. I am tired of too many folks wallowing in past circumstances that were offensive. GROW UP and become part of what is the greatest opportunity ever presented. Stop the chaos and desire for destruction OR move to one of those places where you believe all is as you desire it to be. Go not and be hasty about iy. You will not be missed, I can assure you of that.

Reactions: RockonTex
Maybe the people that have so much time on their hands to protest everything should take a day off from their incessant whining.

I am so feakin' sick of listening to the the stupid arguments about how everything offends everyone.

If we want to tear down everything that has the name of someone of questionable reputation, there will mass demolition.

Political discussions are creating a greater divide in this country and we are heading for an even uglier days ahead.

Now public figures are openly calling for the assassination of a sitting President. This country is pretty f-d up.

Many more George Soros sponsored protests coming. Just turn off the news, grab a cold beer and crank some Beastie Boys. Good therapy.

Reactions: MikeIII
using the logic of tearing down anything deemed offensive..why is that such a leap. let's redesign our flag to make sure we are more inclusive. people burn it...so who's to say that is not a goal.

ADVERTISEMENT