ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody do any smoking?

Talking meats, not crack.

Obtained a Traeger Texas 34 to upgrade from my Masterbuilt electric.

Got a 20lb brisket waiting for this summer.

Just did over the weekend. Have a smaller charcoal one but this is sort of my starter before I go all in with it. Smoked some tenderloin, chicken and corn this past weekend.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
I've got an old, about 40 year old, Colman Smoker. I cook 10# briskets and every now and then a turkey. It runs on propane and still does a great job.

Pro Bass has the Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30" on sale for 199.97. I've been thinking about getting an electric one just for the ease. Any comments on this unit?

Doing a 5lb brisket right now. Brined it overnight with seasoning. In the smoker now for couple of hours, cold smoke, mesquite. From the smoker, I’ll transfer it to the sous vide for 28 hours. After removing from the sous vide, I’ll place it on the grill for a good sear on both sides.

I've got an old, about 40 year old, Colman Smoker. I cook 10# briskets and every now and then a turkey. It runs on propane and still does a great job.

Pro Bass has the Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30" on sale for 199.97. I've been thinking about getting an electric one just for the ease. Any comments on this unit?

They are decent. If you're just looking to smoke something, then they are pretty convenient. Cleaning is kind of a hassle but they aren't too bad. Cooking area isn't too big so you'll be cutting down racks of spare ribs, briskets.....fuggetaboutit. Basically they are good for butts and shoulders.

Cajun Injector XL electric

Awesome double door smoker. Plenty of room for a lot of meat.

http://www.electricsmokerguy.com/cajun-injector-electric-smoker/

Don't fool with Glass Doors. They lose too much heat. It is a marketing ploy that makes no sense to anyone who understands heat transfer, which I do. Plus when it's smoking so you can't see inside anyways after the glass gets wet or smokie.

I've smoked 30# of summer Sausage (deer) and 20# of German links (ground butt shoulder-pork) and it took 12 hours. It would probably done it in 8-10 hours or less, but the dumb @$$ who was smoking it kept opening up the door to see if it was working (wink wink that was me). Delicious and it was smoked with apple chips from the water sprouts out of our orchard.

I'd love to smoke a hQ of a deer but I'd want to talk to someone with experience.

They are decent. If you're just looking to smoke something, then they are pretty convenient. Cleaning is kind of a hassle but they aren't too bad. Cooking area isn't too big so you'll be cutting down racks of spare ribs, briskets.....fuggetaboutit. Basically they are good for butts and shoulders.

Walmart ad just came in the mail and just saw this one, good reviews and and about 1/2 the price of some units I've looked at.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...-Fired-Pellet-Grill-w-Flame-Broiler/838778838

Truth is, I'd like to get into it but I would have absolutely no idea what I was doing. Any of you guys have a website that you would recommend for someone just getting their feet wet with this?

Truth is, I'd like to get into it but I would have absolutely no idea what I was doing. Any of you guys have a website that you would recommend for someone just getting their feet wet with this?

Getting started at smoking is like getting started at sex. You don’t have to be especially good at it to enjoy it.

Just get a smoker, get started, and then experiment.

Getting started at smoking is like getting started at sex. You don’t have to be especially good at it to enjoy it.

Just get a smoker, get started, and then experiment.

Exactly this. Id start with a pork butt. I just now decided to hit brisket 5 years later.

Youtube videos by BBQ with Franklin are helpful too. He's my fav BBQ master.

We've got several old orchards up here in N.W. Indiana,and they occasionally cutdown the older Cherry and Apple trees..That's some damn fine smoking ember materials right there.. and they're FREE!!

My buddy has a huge Weber charcoal one and that is likely my next step.
We bought...AMERICAN MADE..(Texas) went with the Primo Grill,its an oval cooking surface with a ceramic liner and you can divide it with a ceramic plate ,so you can cook with in-direct heat (AWESOME for vegetables!). Primo doesn't advertise as much as they should. You can get so much more out an oval grill design than round!! We also use a chimney to start our fire , because fire starter,will contaminate you porcelain walls. We also marinate our meats..ALL OF OUR MEATS ,in Wickers,it's mad in Arkansas,(you cam order it online... You're gonna LOVE the flavors it brings out of your smoking adventures!

We've got several old orchards up here in N.W. Indiana,and they occasionally cutdown the older Cherry and Apple trees..That's some damn fine smoking ember materials right there.. and they're FREE!!

I love apple wood on everything but Beef. Beef and hickory or mesquite is so damn good...

Has there ever been a study done on the safety of using old orchards tree? Haven't they been sprayed with insecticides for years?

Smoking your meat gives it a mouthwatering flavor. The smoke behind this flavor, however, comes with its own health risks.

Eating smoked meats increases your risks of infections. Consuming high amounts increases your risk of stomach pain of indigestion, fatigue and nausea.

You should be careful of who's smoked meat you eat.

Had the brisket last night with the neighbors. It was good, but not the moist, succulent meat I was expecting from the sous vide. I think 28 hours in the bath was too long, as I ended up with 4 cups of broth in the bag. I’m going to try this again, but only leave the brisket in the sous vide for 3 hours.

The recipe I used suggested mixing the broth with bbq sauce. Everyone liked that.

I have a gmg pellet smoker i just did 3 racks of ribs on tonight for 5 hours. I have a chargrill offset also but I mainly use it in the winter with my amazntube to cold smoke cheese, butter, and spices. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pk360 grill/smoker for some perfect steaks.

I have a gmg pellet smoker i just did 3 racks of ribs on tonight for 5 hours. I have a chargrill offset also but I mainly use it in the winter with my amazntube to cold smoke cheese, butter, and spices. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pk360 grill/smoker for some perfect steaks.

I wanted the Jim Bowie so bad. Settled for the Texas 34 Elite :)

I wanted the Jim Bowie so bad. Settled for the Texas 34 Elite :)
I have the Daniel Boone model. I'm having issues with the temp. I put a separate temp probe in their on the opposite side and it was at 100 degree difference from the factory one. I'm not sure if their is something wrong with the original thermometer or not. I'm going to trouble shoot it today and then call them after I figure it out. Honestly wish I would've saved more and got a Yoder instead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT