ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Coach Cale Gundy Resigns After Reading Racial Slur A Player Had Written

firkinEER

Junior
Nov 25, 2011
Last Updated on August 8, 2022

Cale Gundy, a longtime assistant football coach at the University of Oklahoma, has resigned after reading a “hurtful” word that a player wrote on his iPad. Gundy reportedly read what the student/player was typing to the whole class after he wasn’t paying attention during the meeting.​

“I owe it to Sooner Nation to be transparent about what led to this decision: Last week, during a film session, I instructed my players to take notes,” Gundy wrote in a statement. “I noticed a player was distracted and picked up his iPad and read aloud the words that were written on his screen. The words displayed had nothing to do with football. One particular word that I should never — under any circumstance — have uttered was displayed on that screen. In the moment, I did not even realize what I was reading and, as soon as I did, I was horrified.”

Gundy — whose brother is the head coach at archrival Oklahoma State — stressed that the words were not his. “I want to be very clear: the words I read aloud from that screen were not my words. What I said was not malicious; it wasn’t even intentional. Still, I am mature enough to know that the word I said was shameful and hurtful, no matter my intentions.”

It remains unclear what Gundy actually said, though it is likely that he used “the n-word.”

Former Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon — who currently plays for the Cincinnati Bengals — implied as much and defended Gundy. I know racists, I have witnessed both obvious and discreet forms of racism and have known and detested even more actual racist,” Mixon’s statement read. “Coach Gundy is the farthest thing from this type of person. I spent every day for the 1,000 days I was in Norman with him, and I never saw anything that would lead anyone to believe this or think this.”

Cale Gundy’s brother, Mike, once found himself at the center of a controversy after former OSU standout Chuba Hubbard took issue with him wearing a One America News shirt. Mike Gundy soon issued an apology, saying he was “appalled” when he learned what the network “stood for.”

“I’m not a politician; I don’t know anything about that – but I stand for what’s right, and I felt what he did wasn’t right,” Hubbard, who now plays for the Carolina Panthers in the NFL, said at the time.

Things he could have read without any consequence: G**D**n, F**k anything, used the Lord's name in vain in any way he wanted, cracker, whitey, called for the assassination of police officers, but not "THAT WORD"

So the coach was showing game films and the players were supposed to be paying attention. Instead, one of the players was writing on his iPad and wrote some profane and derogatory words. So, the football coach when seeing his player was not paying attention, picks up the pad and reads aloud what he was writing… and the football coach has to lose his job. That is beyond lunacy. How about kicking the player off the team. He was the disrespectful one. Another reason to stop watching football.

The daughter of former Oklahoma football assistant Cale Gundy appeared to take issue with head coach Brent Venables' latest statement on his departure in a tweet that has since been deleted.

Venables released a separate statement on Monday supporting Gundy’s departure and revealed the coach used a "racially charged word" multiple times as he read from a player’s iPad during a film session. Gundy announced his departure from the program on Sunday night.

Cat Gundy had her own response to Venables’ statement.

"Interesting you told your players to keep their mouths shut about what really happened and their heads down," her tweet read. "The truth will always come to fruition, it’s only a matter of time."

Cat Gundy’s tweet was later deleted, but not before multiple reports had the opportunity to screenshot it.

Venables said Cale Gundy read the "racially charged" word "multiple times" and resigned over the weekend because "he knows what he did was wrong." Joe Mixon was among the Sooners alumni who came out in support of Gundy, but Venables maintained that Gundy’s resignation was the right move.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Last Updated on August 8, 2022

Cale Gundy, a longtime assistant football coach at the University of Oklahoma, has resigned after reading a “hurtful” word that a player wrote on his iPad. Gundy reportedly read what the student/player was typing to the whole class after he wasn’t paying attention during the meeting.​

“I owe it to Sooner Nation to be transparent about what led to this decision: Last week, during a film session, I instructed my players to take notes,” Gundy wrote in a statement. “I noticed a player was distracted and picked up his iPad and read aloud the words that were written on his screen. The words displayed had nothing to do with football. One particular word that I should never — under any circumstance — have uttered was displayed on that screen. In the moment, I did not even realize what I was reading and, as soon as I did, I was horrified.”

Gundy — whose brother is the head coach at archrival Oklahoma State — stressed that the words were not his. “I want to be very clear: the words I read aloud from that screen were not my words. What I said was not malicious; it wasn’t even intentional. Still, I am mature enough to know that the word I said was shameful and hurtful, no matter my intentions.”

It remains unclear what Gundy actually said, though it is likely that he used “the n-word.”

Former Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon — who currently plays for the Cincinnati Bengals — implied as much and defended Gundy. I know racists, I have witnessed both obvious and discreet forms of racism and have known and detested even more actual racist,” Mixon’s statement read. “Coach Gundy is the farthest thing from this type of person. I spent every day for the 1,000 days I was in Norman with him, and I never saw anything that would lead anyone to believe this or think this.”

Cale Gundy’s brother, Mike, once found himself at the center of a controversy after former OSU standout Chuba Hubbard took issue with him wearing a One America News shirt. Mike Gundy soon issued an apology, saying he was “appalled” when he learned what the network “stood for.”

“I’m not a politician; I don’t know anything about that – but I stand for what’s right, and I felt what he did wasn’t right,” Hubbard, who now plays for the Carolina Panthers in the NFL, said at the time.

My only question is this. If "the word" is so insensitive that it should never be used around the players, then why is this player not punished for using the word in the first place?

It makes absolutely no sense to fire the coach for repeating the word that no one is supposed to use. Sounds to me like they were looking for a reason to part ways with the coach and virtue signal in the meantime.

My only question is this. If "the word" is so insensitive that it should never be used around the players, then why is this player not punished for using the word in the first place?

It makes absolutely no sense to fire the coach for repeating the word that no one is supposed to use. Sounds to me like they were looking for a reason to part ways with the coach and virtue signal in the meantime.
Going woke is as big of a threat to sports as NIL/Transfer Portal/ESPN combined, imo. Vaginafication of sports.

Get woke. Stewart was fired around 1996 for saying the same word. You were asleep.

Wake this...

You shouldn't start shit you know nothing about.
I started nothing. I responded to a post about a coach that was fired (resigned) for saying a word and brought up a coach hired by WVU after having been “fired“ for using the same word at another school. Thus, the latter coach found another job, was beloved by many acolytes, ended up suing both schools (including his rescue school at which he had publicly professed that he would work for free), went behind his successor’s back and STILL got a bridge named after him. I went to college with that coach, who had not actually fallen off a turnip truck and was one of the sharpest tools in the shed.

So take heart, Cale Gundy.

Got it, Boss?

Last edited:
I started nothing. I responded to a post about a coach that was fired (resigned) for saying a word and brought up a coach hired by WVU after having been “fired“ for using the same word at another school. Thus, the latter coach found another job, was beloved by many acolytes, ended up suing both schools (including his rescue school at which he had publicly professed that he would work for free), went behind his successor’s back and STILL got a bridge named after him. I went to college with that coach, who had not actually fallen off a turnip truck and was one of the sharpest tools in the shed.

So take heart, Cale Gundy.

Got it, Boss?
WVU and Bill Stewart had nothing to with this thread. You decided upon yourself to intentionally make Bill Stewart look bad instead of sticking to the current subject. Bill stewart only mentioned said word to the individual and not an entire group to hear. Bill said the silly word to an individual acting out and told the young man that's not how we act here. Nobody knew about it but the young man felt it necessary to tell administration, which is his right to do so. Administration then asked Bill Stewart and being who he is told the exact same. Then he and staff were fired. Which saved them tons of money cause BS had only won like 4 games in 4 seasons. So I am sure there were alternative motives in both stories but as usual the woke liberals only tell 1 side of it.

As far as Holgorsen he is a drunken crack addict scumbag.

So stick to thread subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
Oh so discussing coaches being fired for saying the same word is not appropriate to a thread about ONE non-WVU coach ending employment for similar reasons 26 years later. As if the WOKE mentality is “new.” Don’t be so obtuse, Warden. You are in over your head.

BTW, you seem otherwise to be a very kind, knowledgeable and empathetic human being. Holgy told me so, anyway.

Last edited:
Gundy should just become a rapper so that using such words would not be viewed as derogatory.

But he did the best thing to protect himself in the new woke culture, by stepping down. I have a feeling it wasnt a whole lot different for a very good DC who we let go of not long ago. Doesnt matter what your intensions are and how good of a coach you are, very small things offend people and are turned into very big things anymore. Its ruining sports, period, and ESPN brought this in, imo. That network, once purchased by Disney, set out to destroy American sports, and they are doing it.

Oh so discussing coaches being fired for saying the same word is not appropriate to a thread about ONE non-WVU coach ending employment for similar reasons 26 years later. As if the WOKE mentality is “new.” Don’t be so obtuse, Warden. You are in over your head.

BTW, you seem otherwise to be a very kind, knowledgeable and empathetic human being. Holgy told me so, anyway.
You want to discuss coaches being fired for using a word then start a thread about it.

"list coaches who have been fired for using the word"

You are now added. Congrats.

ADVERTISEMENT