ADVERTISEMENT

Open Winner's Dad was from Bridgeport

Woodie

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
Winchester, VA
and was a pitcher for West Virginia Wesleyan according to today's telecast. Might be the closest connection West Virginia will ever have for a Major Golf victory.

Tidbit - The President of the USGA, Diana Murphy, who presented the U.S. Open trophy got her undergraduate degree (Journalism) from WVU.

Sam Snead had pretty good connections with WV.

Joe Buck certainly blew it yesterday, when he announced the winner's girlfriend as his ex-girlfriend.

Johnny Bulla born June 2, 1914 in Newell, WV. Finished runner up 3 times in the majors. Twice to Sam Sneed in British Open and Masters 1949. Although Bulla never won a major, he finished in the top-10 12 times; twice each in the Masters and PGA Championship and four times each at the British Open and US Open.

Bulla's greatest moment might have been the British Open in 1939 at St.Andrews In miserable conditions, he drove flawlessly and never missed a fairway. The driver is on display in the Royal & Ancient Golf Club Museum,

Bulla was the first to endorse merchandise sold outside the golf pro shop.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Johnny Bulla born June 2, 1914 in Newell, WV. Finished runner up 3 times in the majors. Twice to Sam Sneed in British Open and Masters 1949. Although Bulla never won a major, he finished in the top-10 12 times; twice each in the Masters and PGA Championship and four times each at the British Open and US Open.

Bulla's greatest moment might have been the British Open in 1939 at St.Andrews In miserable conditions, he drove flawlessly and never missed a fairway. The driver is on display in the Royal & Ancient Golf Club Museum,

Bulla was the first to endorse merchandise sold outside the golf pro shop.
I remember hearing about Bulla from my father. He was considered a WV golf legend, more directly connected to the state than Snead. Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't heard that name in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT