ADVERTISEMENT

OOOOPS, They did it again

old buzzard

All-Conference
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2005
Marshall traditionally plays one of the softest schedules in the land. Nothing changes in that regard again this year. 130 FBS teams and Marshall's SOS going into this season is ranked at 110.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=276&year=2017

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/2017-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-espn-fpi/

Of course those numbers will change as the season progresses, and in Marshall's case probably for the worse given the fact that most of their opponents play similarly weak schedules.
SOS of Marshall opponents -
#121 Miami OH
#17 NC State
#88 Kent State
#82 Cincinnati
#124 Charlotte
#109 ODU
#108 Middle Tennessee
#116 Florida International
#112 Florida Atlantic
#128 Western Kentucky
#126 UTSA
#114 So. Miss

Pathetic.

Last edited:
Marshall traditionally plays one of the softest schedules in the land. Nothing changes in that regard again this year. 130 FBS teams and Marshall's SOS going into this season is ranked at 110.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=276&year=2017

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/08/2017-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings-espn-fpi/

Of course those numbers will change as the season progresses, and in Marshall's case probably for the worse given the fact that most of their opponents play similarly weak schedules.
Beat VPI!

Beat VPI!

I hope we do, as well as beating the other nine P-5 teams on our schedule. Shouldn't you be more concerned with that gargantuan game against Miami ? (not the real Miami - but the one in Ohio). I've heard it's the make or break game of the year for the Herd. Probably is considering it's a foregone conclusion that the Cincinnati and NC State games are going to be losses.

Kent State (MAC) is ranked higher than most of CUSA. Marshall would be better off back in the MAC.

Kent State (MAC) is ranked higher than most of CUSA. Marshall would be better off back in the MAC.

Actually they screwed up when they left 1-AA. When they were playing at that level they had fans all over the state of WV. Once the Herdiots thought they were equal to WVU their fan base shrunk to only Cabell and Putnam Counties.

Reactions: Snow Sled Baby
I hope we do, as well as beating the other nine P-5 teams on our schedule. Shouldn't you be more concerned with that gargantuan game against Miami ? (not the real Miami - but the one in Ohio). I've heard it's the make or break game of the year for the Herd. Probably is considering it's a foregone conclusion that the Cincinnati and NC State games are going to be losses.
I hope so as well....need to win something of note before I die and if the Mounties get clipped in the opener , no chance of that!

I hope so as well....need to win something of note before I die and if the Mounties get clipped in the opener , no chance of that!

The VPI game is an important one for sure, but unlike your Herd we play enough games against well respected opponents that one game is not going to make or break our entire season.

The VPI game is an important one for sure, but unlike your Herd we play enough games against well respected opponents that one game is not going to make or break our entire season.
Yes, it will make your entire season...lose to the Hokies and see where you boys end up ...at best in the soon forgotten Dog Biscuit Bowl.

Yes, it will make your entire season...lose to the Hokies and see where you boys end up ...at best in the soon forgotten Dog Biscuit Bowl.

With you being a Herdiot I'm not surprised that you think the outcome of a single game is all important. After all, WVU was your Super Bowl during the years the series was played, no other game mattered. Now Miami of Ohio is the big fish in your little pond......lose that one and people will be calling for Doc's head on a platter.

With you being a Herdiot I'm not surprised that you think the outcome of a single game is all important. After all, WVU was your Super Bowl during the years the series was played, no other game mattered. Now Miami of Ohio is the big fish in your little pond......lose that one and people will be calling for Doc's head on a platter.
Miami has a nice team returning but I too would advise Doc to win !

Miami has a nice team returning but I too would advise Doc to win !

On a more civil note - I really don't know what to expect in the WVU/VPI game. New QB's and above average defensive coordinators on both teams. VT will probably have the edge on special teams which could prove to be the difference, and if Will Grier lives up to all the hype he could be the difference maker. Both teams have had all summer to work up a game plan as opposed to if the game were played in mid season where they'd only have a week to prepare.........I guess we will see soon enough. No matter how the game ends, it's good to be playing an old rival again.

On a more civil note - I really don't know what to expect in the WVU/VPI game. New QB's and above average defensive coordinators on both teams. VT will probably have the edge on special teams which could prove to be the difference, and if Will Grier lives up to all the hype he could be the difference maker. Both teams have had all summer to work up a game plan as opposed to if the game were played in mid season where they'd only have a week to prepare.........I guess we will see soon enough. No matter how the game ends, it's good to be playing an old rival again.
I agree Buzz...have to give both schools credit for not opening at home with Slippery Rock! I don't think this game will be won, somebody will make a mistake in the 4th quarter that will lose the game for their team. This one will be a pure dogfight, IMHO! I see it low scoring evenly matched game.

I agree Buzz...have to give both schools credit for not opening at home with Slippery Rock! I don't think this game will be won, somebody will make a mistake in the 4th quarter that will lose the game for their team. This one will be a pure dogfight, IMHO! I see it low scoring evenly matched game.
or worse yet opening with marshall[sick]

More like when Marshall started trying to dictate terms WVU told them they weren't worthy and Herdiots still haven't gotten over it.
No hard feeling in our camp...actually a bit humorous to see the disingenuous excuses that fly out of Morgantown as to why the match up can't occur!

No hard feeling in our camp...actually a bit humorous to see the disingenuous excuses that fly out of Morgantown as to why the match up can't occur!

Well I guess it would be better if Shane Lyons would just come out and say that Marshall burned all the bridges with their failed "bring your dog" PR campaign and the chicken suits. Herdiots still wouldn't understand diplomacy, as evidenced by the "Dantoni Doctrine" of only a couple of years ago.........How'd that work out for you ? I seem to recall Huggins saying it was laughable and Marshall could just find someone else to play.

Well I guess it would be better if Shane Lyons would just come out and say that Marshall burned all the bridges with their failed "bring your dog" PR campaign and the chicken suits. Herdiots still wouldn't understand diplomacy, as evidenced by the "Dantoni Doctrine" of only a couple of years ago.........How'd that work out for you ? I seem to recall Huggins saying it was laughable and Marshall could just find someone else to play.
Disingenuous excuse # 174 " MU burned all their bridges" Hahahahahahahahahahah

Disingenuous excuse # 174 " MU burned all their bridges" Hahahahahahahahahahah

MU should try to get someone they have respect for to come play in Huntington instead of harassing WVU constantly. Call Notre Dame or Alabama and tell them if they are afraid they can bring their dogs, and if they don't agree to home and home it means they are "skeert" to play the Herd. See how long it takes them to hang up the phone. Better yet, try forcing NC State, Cincinnati, Pitt, or Louisville (some of the other cash games Marshall has agreed to) and use the same tactics on them. Marshall/WVU isn't going to happen any time soon and that is all on Marshall and their failed PR attempts - and you know it.

MU should try to get someone they have respect for to come play in Huntington instead of harassing WVU constantly. Call Notre Dame or Alabama and tell them if they are afraid they can bring their dogs, and if they don't agree to home and home it means they are "skeert" to play the Herd. See how long it takes them to hang up the phone. Better yet, try forcing NC State, Cincinnati, Pitt, or Louisville (some of the other cash games Marshall has agreed to) and use the same tactics on them. Marshall/WVU isn't going to happen any time soon and that is all on Marshall and their failed PR attempts - and you know it.
The last time I looked ND or 'bama are not among the two I-A schools in West Virginia...disingenuous excuse # 211. Hahahahahahahahahha

Yawn. Tony is whining again. I'm starting to think I should have titled this thread "OOPS, Tony whined again"
Everything Tony has posted is 100% accurate. Why don't sissies like yourself just admit that you're scared, and we would respect you for admitting to being a coward. The excuses are worn out. Lace them up, or simply admit to being yellow.

Everything Tony has posted is 100% accurate. Why don't sissies like yourself just admit that you're scared, and we would respect you for admitting to being a coward. The excuses are worn out. Lace them up, or simply admit to being yellow.

Exactly the attitude that the Marshall staff displayed that caused the series to end. Well, that and the 69 points we hung on Marshall the last time we played.

I'll admit I am scared of Marshall. The only way I would play them would be when the year is almost over so we could use Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State as tune up games to get ready for them. I think last years 3 win season was just a part of their master plan. "Look bad so WVU won't be scared to play us". We ain't going to fall for that. We know Marshall is the Notre Dame of G-5 teams.

I'll admit I am scared of Marshall.
We know. That's been clear for over a decade now. WVU fans toss out excuse after excuse, but yet, it's the fear of losing to little old Marshall that keeps the game from being played. I think you're safe with the likes of Delaware State and Youngstown. At least if they happen to knock you off, you don't have to worry about the fear of running into one of their fans at the local Wal-Mart.

We know. That's been clear for over a decade now. WVU fans toss out excuse after excuse, but yet, it's the fear of losing to little old Marshall that keeps the game from being played. I think you're safe with the likes of Delaware State and Youngstown. At least if they happen to knock you off, you don't have to worry about the fear of running into one of their fans at the local Wal-Mart.

Youngstown and Deleware State both know that they have to come to our place, take an ass whipping, and go home with a nice paycheck. When Marshall realizes that that's also their place in the grand scheme of things maybe they could be our annual home "gimmee" game. Until then Herdiots will just keep whining.

Big paydays make a difference as to who and where you open the season.

Exactly the attitude that the Marshall staff displayed that caused the series to end. Well, that and the 69 points we hung on Marshall the last time we played.
So you might drop the Maryland series if you determine you don't like the Terps " attitude"?

I'll admit I am scared of Marshall. The only way I would play them would be when the year is almost over so we could use Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State as tune up games to get ready for them. I think last years 3 win season was just a part of their master plan. "Look bad so WVU won't be scared to play us". We ain't going to fall for that. We know Marshall is the Notre Dame of G-5 teams.
I'm just glad you boys aren't scared of ECU!

...or in the General Assembly where the real competition for dollars is held! The misguided Cousins always see the football contest as a zero sum game rather than simply a football game! Much safer to play home and home with ECU!

Youngstown and Deleware State both know that they have to come to our place, take an ass whipping, and go home with a nice paycheck. When Marshall realizes that that's also their place in the grand scheme of things maybe they could be our annual home "gimmee" game. Until then Herdiots will just keep whining.
I guess FCS teams can't pick and choose when it comes to playing D1 schools. Thankfully, bigger named schools don't take issue with coming into the Joan to lace them up, and compete. NC State, PITT, Louisville, Boise State, Cincy, and Navy just to name several.

I guess FCS teams can't pick and choose when it comes to playing D1 schools. Thankfully, bigger named schools don't take issue with coming into the Joan to lace them up, and compete. NC State, PITT, Louisville, Boise State, Cincy, and Navy just to name several.

Well them boys are crazy! Don't they realize that Marshall is the Notre Dame of G-5? They must not care if they win. They must be coming there for the big paycheck and to at least be able to say they laced them up with the best of the best!!

So you get a P-5 team to visit the Joan once every few years. Congrats, you're really big time.[eyeroll]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT