ADVERTISEMENT

Only Auburn, LSU play more top 25 teams than WVU

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Auburn and LSU will earn a spot on the 4-team national playoffs more than any other teams if they go unbeaten.

Using the final College Football Playoff Committee regular season rankings, Auburn and LSU each plays 5 of the top 25 teams from 2017.

No top 25 team plays 4 top 25 teams on that list. But West Virginia, not in that top 25 list, will play four top 25 teams on that list: #2 Oklahoma, #15 TCU, #19 Oklahoma State and #24 North Carolina State.

If WVU goes unbeaten, it will have a more impressive resume than any team except Auburn and LSU, based on the top 25 teams on that list.

Alabama, Stanford, Notre Dame, TCU, Michigan State, Washington State, Oklahoma State, Northwestern, Mississippi State each play 3 top 25 teams on that list.

1. Clemson plays #24 NC State

2. Oklahoma plays #15 TCU

3. Georgia plays #17 LSU

4. Alabama plays #7 Auburn, #17 LSU, #23 Miss. State

5. Ohio State plays #15 TCU, #9 Penn State

6. Wisconsin plays #9 Penn State, #21 Northwestern

7. Auburn plays #3 Georgia, #4 Alabama, #11 Washington, #15 LSU, #23 Miss. State

8. USC plays #11 Washington, #14 Notre Dame

9. Penn State plays #5 Ohio State

10. Miami plays #17 LSU, #22 Virginia Tech

11. Washington plays #7 Auburn, #13 Stanford

12. UCF plays #20 Memphis

13. Stanford plays #11 Washington, #14 Notre Dame, #18 Washington State

14. Notre Dame plays #13 Stanford, #21 Northwestern, #22 Virginia Tech

15. TCU plays #2 Oklahoma, #5 Ohio State, #19 Oklahoma State

16. Michigan State plays #5 Ohio State, #9 Penn State, #21 Northwestern

17. LSU plays #3 Georgia, #4 Alabama, #7 Auburn, #10 Miami, #23 Miss. State

18. Washington State plays #8 USC, #11 Washington, #13 Stanford

19. Oklahoma State plays #2 Oklahoma, #15 TCU, #25 Boise State

20. Memphis plays #12 Central Florida

21. Northwestern plays #6 Wisconsin, #14 Notre Dame, #16 Michigan State

22. Virginia Tech plays #14 Notre Dame

23. Mississippi State plays #4 Alabama, #7 Auburn, #15 LSU

24. NC State plays #1 Clemson

25. Boise State plays #19 Oklahoma State

In cross-checking 25 schedules against the top 25 list I might be got something wrong, but the main point holds. The Mountaineers are playing more top 25 teams from that 2017 list than all but 2 teams in America.

Grier and the Mountaineers have some serious mountains ahead of them.

Auburn and LSU will earn a spot on the 4-team national playoffs more than any other teams if they go unbeaten.

Using the final College Football Playoff Committee regular season rankings, Auburn and LSU each plays 5 of the top 25 teams from 2017.

No top 25 team plays 4 top 25 teams on that list. But West Virginia, not in that top 25 list, will play four top 25 teams on that list: #2 Oklahoma, #15 TCU, #19 Oklahoma State and #24 North Carolina State.

If WVU goes unbeaten, it will have a more impressive resume than any team except Auburn and LSU, based on the top 25 teams on that list.

Alabama, Stanford, Notre Dame, TCU, Michigan State, Washington State, Oklahoma State, Northwestern, Mississippi State each play 3 top 25 teams on that list.

3. Georgia plays #17 LSU

7. Auburn plays #3 Georgia, #4 Alabama, #11 Washington, #15 LSU, #23 Miss. State

In cross-checking 25 schedules against the top 25 list I might be got something wrong, but the main point holds. The Mountaineers are playing more top 25 teams from that 2017 list than all but 2 teams in America.

Pretty sure teams can look drastically different from year to year given graduations and what not. Hence I see very little value in analyzing SOS before fall practice and using only last years final rankings.

Reactions: Rootmaster
OMG...not already! Go play some golf or something!!
Too long till football so I got bored. I was surprised with what I found. I never reach conclusions till after I do my research. Our alma mater will be playing more top 25 teams than all but 2 teams in the country, based on last season's final rankings. After all, rankings based on games actually played count more than preseason rankings when every team is 0-0.

And the golf is going exceptionally well, thank you. But when it gets dark I have to come home and be bored waiting for the Tennessee opener.

Too long till football so I got bored. I was surprised with what I found. I never reach conclusions till after I do my research. Our alma mater will be playing more top 25 teams than all but 2 teams in the country, based on last season's final rankings. After all, rankings based on games actually played count more than preseason rankings when every team is 0-0.

And the golf is going exceptionally well, thank you. But when it gets dark I have to come home and be bored waiting for the Tennessee opener.
So are you trying to tell us to be prepared for another 7-5 season?

First, I would just like to see us be more physical and tackle better. Outside of a few bright spots we have become a team of grabassers.

3. Georgia plays #17 LSU

Your thread title is mislabeled. Should have read - Only Auburn, LSU play more top 25 teams from last year than WVU.

Agreed. Not to mention, there is always a debate over facing a highly ranked team who later crumbles or one who was not ranked at the time but later surges (i.e. losing to VT in '05 is a win that their board is rather proud of, even though we were unranked at the time) The ranked teams narrative is there to either get us a better bowl game or explain why we had a crappy year.

I think we can all agree that it's better to beat a team that is ranked #4 at the end of the season than a team that was #4 when we beat it in September. And I used the 2017 final rankings because they were based on games actually played. Everyone knows that the seniors are gone from those teams. Geez, nitpicking is a preoccupation with some people. It was just something to help us get through till the Tennessee opener. Egads! At the end of 2018 season we can see how many teams still ranked WVU beat or lost to. No quibbling about that, right?

I think we can all agree that it's better to beat a team that is ranked #4 at the end of the season than a team that was #4 when we beat it in September. And I used the 2017 final rankings because they were based on games actually played. Everyone knows that the seniors are gone from those teams. Geez, nitpicking is a preoccupation with some people. It was just something to help us get through till the Tennessee opener. Egads! At the end of 2018 season we can see how many teams still ranked WVU beat or lost to. No quibbling about that, right?

How the hell is it nitpicking to say the 2017-2018 final poll results, even if it is based upon games played, are not really all that relevant to the 2018 schedule? You seem to be using it as a broad brush to imply that the WVU SOS will be formidable. I say if a team finished highly ranked last year it does not mean they will be as good or better this year. If they return most of their key players, then we can talk. However that is a team by team analysis and not a superficial look at last year's poll results.

I think we can all agree that last year has nothing to do with this year

One thing is indisputable: It is more profitable to be in the Big 12 than any other conference. WVU got more money from the Big 12 and its 3rd tier rights than any school not in the Big 12, including the SEC. That's right. $43.2 million. Other conferences include tier rights in their payouts. Big 12 lets the schools get the tier rights on top of the Big 12 payout. So, we'll cry all the way to the bank about not being in the ACC.

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
So, we'll cry all the way to the bank about not being in the ACC.

Just when it appears that you are not the dick you come off as you start down another "look at me I am so smart" path...arguing with no one and making a point that has nothing to do with the discussion. Your paid sports writing must have really been a joke...lol at you.

Just when it appears that you are not the dick you come off as you start down another "look at me I am so smart" path...arguing with no one and making a point that has nothing to do with the discussion. Your paid sports writing must have really been a joke...lol at you.
Ah, personal insults. The favorite tactic of those who can't come up with a better argument.

Ah, personal insults. The favorite tactic of those who can't come up with a better argument.

I believe he made a compelling argument that you are deflecting. Another tactic used by those who have no leg to stand on when it comes to the point at hand. This thread has nothing to do with financial benefits of conference affiliation. It is about your statement that last year's results translate to the quality of this year's teams. Something that has been refuted and gone unanswered by you. However, since you want to go off on tangents I'll ask: would you be happier being in the less lucrative ACC, but competitive for a conference title and playoff spot or make more money while languishing in the middle of the BIG XII and never sniffing playoff contention?

KeatonsCorner +1. The selective use of red font is rather annoying. At first I thought you didn't realize it was on, like a left turn signal left on in perpetuity but then I noticed that you removed it with your Steve Martin reset so obviously you do know better. I thought the Bell Tolls For Thee made some good points and I for one look forward to your response(s).

One thing is indisputable: It is more profitable to be in the Big 12 than any other conference. WVU got more money from the Big 12 and its 3rd tier rights than any school not in the Big 12, including the SEC. That's right. $43.2 million. Other conferences include tier rights in their payouts. Big 12 lets the schools get the tier rights on top of the Big 12 payout. So, we'll cry all the way to the bank about not being in the ACC.
Really that is inacruate. While other conferences include 3rd teir rights, it is only TV, which is a portion of the overall teir 3 rights.

KeatonsCorner +1. The selective use of red font is rather annoying. At first I thought you didn't realize it was on, like a left turn signal left on in perpetuity but then I noticed that you removed it with your Steve Martin reset so obviously you do know better. I thought the Bell Tolls For Thee made some good points and I for one look forward to your response(s).

He never does. I think he may have me on ignore or he just doesnt respond to when he can't make it out like he's being attacked.

3. Georgia plays #17 LSU

Have you looked at the VOLS schedule? They play some pretty good teams. They play SC, they play GA and i hear they are pretty good. They play Bama and i hear they have a good team as well. they play FL, They play Auburn, There's another pretty good team. Plus they have to play WVU. There is another good team so TN, i didn't even see the name. on your list, Maybe you may want to look again at the schedule. TN seems to be having a pretty tough road ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT