ADVERTISEMENT

One thing has become very clear today...

DC_Mountaineer

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
Many “fans” on this board, and probably in general, are absolutely terrified of a college athlete having and using power and leverage.

Whenever the day comes that college athletes are allowed to make money (and it will), many of your heads are just going to explode.

Whenever the day comes that college athletes are allowed to make money (and it will), many of your heads are just going to explode.

Pay based upon actually going to a college level class, passing that class with anything other than a C, not getting arrested, not smoking dope, learning to speak correct English, and athletics....might be a good thing. Would cut team size by two thirds and save scholarship money lol.

That’s a different discussion all together, but when they finally get paid, it will have nothing to do with academics, nor should it.

Many “fans” on this board, and probably in general, are absolutely terrified of a college athlete having and using power and leverage.

Definitely count me as one that is absolutely terrified. Was watching a video earlier from a recruit on an official visit to Florida and laughing in my head at those who think these kids are not already very well compensated.

It reminds me of 30 years of fussing after Moses Malone went straight from HS to pro basketball. If you've got the talent you've got the right to take it wherever you want and make living with it. You don't have to spend four years in college before you can be in a boy band.

Reactions: WESTBGVA

One thing is very clear, this generation doesn't understand "finish what you started". It's not only acceptable now to quit, but it's encouraged. And trust me, what Grier is doing is QUITTING!

Reactions: Rootmaster
One thing is very clear, this generation doesn't understand "finish what you started". It's not only acceptable now to quit, but it's encouraged. And trust me, what Grier is doing is QUITTING!

If Grier quit he wouldn't be where he is today.
These players work their asses off to get drafted.
Some can get into college with pure talent but those are seen by college coaches very quickly because those players never make it in CFB.

Like I said you should respect his decision.

Reactions: Phil

Wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see the NCAA stop being the minor leagues for the NFL. I'm not opposed to athletic scholarships, but I am opposed to giving them to those who have no business being in college in the first place. If a non athlete would not get into your school with the same grades and test scores as a 5 star athlete, then the athlete should not be offered. Go back to the scholarship truly being the compensation for the STUDENT athlete. Sure it would diminish the overall talent on the field, but it would make things less complicated. But like I said, since there is big dollars to be made by the convoluted mess I might as well wish to fly.

Definitely count me as one that is absolutely terrified. Was watching a video earlier from a recruit on an official visit to Florida and laughing in my head at those who think these kids are not already very well compensated.

This is me showing restraint.

Wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see the NCAA stop being the minor leagues for the NFL. I'm not opposed to athletic scholarships, but I am opposed to giving them to those who have no business being in college in the first place. If a non athlete would not get into your school with the same grades and test scores as a 5 star athlete, then the athlete should not be offered. Go back to the scholarship truly being the compensation for the STUDENT athlete. Sure it would diminish the overall talent on the field, but it would make things less complicated. But like I said, since there is big dollars to be made by the convoluted mess I might as well wish to fly.

You get a recruit who has a lot of talent but never truly took school serious.
He gets a scholarship and starts attending classes.
Not all the players just overlook being a student. Some see it as the same challenge as being a football player.

For the most part college academics is a competition like football.
HS is not like that. Some people are natural competitors.

Don't take the right away of attending college from top tier recruits.
You never know how much that could change their life

I don't know about WVU but the University of Texas only takes the top 5% of the state and only from certain schools.
Maybe 4 of the scholarship football players could get in if you forced normal admission standards before a scholarship.

Right so let’s just stop with the hush-hush BS, pay them, make it legal, let them make money off their own likeness, tax it, etc.

But then it would harder for coaches and administrators to get rich off the labor of 18-23 year old “students.” And we cant have that, can we?

Reactions: Phil

This already exists. It’s called the Ivy League.

Reactions: TownesVanZandt
The HS he graduated from in Beaumont is one of the worse in Southeast Texas.
The Top 1% have trouble getting into UT.
But he graduated today.

Right so let’s just stop with the hush-hush BS, pay them, make it legal, let them make money off their own likeness, tax it, etc.

But then it would harder for coaches and administrators to get rich off the labor of 18-23 year old “students.” And we cant have that, can we?

But then we couldnt make money off them.

Would he have gotten into UT if he wasn't an athlete?

What was his major?

Like I said he wouldn't
The admission standards of the University of Texas are a modern form of Jim Crow.

The state made a law that Texas universities had to take the top 10% of the state's graduating seniors no matter the school but UT was excluded to maintain its academic prestige.

Like I said he wouldn't
The admission standards of the University of Texas are a modern form of Jim Crow.

The state made a law that Texas universities had to take the top 10% of the state's graduating seniors no matter the school but UT was excluded to maintain its academic prestige.

What was his major?

I'm not an idiot, they breeze through athletes.

Btw, plenty of kids who play sports graduate in 3.5 years. It is not impossible.

That's 3 years of normal course load plus 2 off semesters....its actually totally normal - not impossible.

Edit: His Major was Physcial Culture & Sport.

Yeah that is a thing....Physical Culture and Sport.

I'm happy he is doing well though. He did his course work, lots of students do.

Last edited:
I don't know about WVU but the University of Texas only takes the top 5% of the state and only from certain schools.
Maybe 4 of the scholarship football players could get in if you forced normal admission standards before a scholarship.

Well plenty of people would ask why the special treatment. It is not unreasonable.

What was his major?

I'm not an idiot, they breeze through athletes.

Btw, plenty of kids who play sports graduate in 3.5 years. It is not impossible.

That's 3 years of normal course load plus 2 off semesters....its actually totally normal - not impossible.

Edit: His Major was Physcial Culture & Sport.

Yeah that is a thing....Physical Culture and Sport.

I'm happy he is doing well though. He did his course work, lots of students do.

Like I said if you know where some of these players come from you have an idea.
Especially into deep East Texas.
This recruit is from Many, Right across the Sabine in Louisiana.

He lives in a double wide in a small...I mean small town where football is the only way out.
Can't take that away.
Can't take the dream of the NFL away.

He lives in a double wide in a small...I mean small town where football is the only way out.
Can't take that away.

And?

Drop the crap, you know WV might be the poorest state in country, right? There is nothing shocking about someone growing up in a double wide.

Make athletes take real courses. In real majors.

Can't take that away.

You are part of the problem. Telling kids the only way to have a good life is the NFL. Shame on you.

That is criminal.

That is a culture problem that needs to be fixed.

Football fanatics like you need to be separated from the equation. You are toxic. I hope that young man has a successful life but he can do it without the NFL and takers like you.

You are part of the problem. Telling kids the only way to have a good life is the NFL. Shame on you.

That is criminal.

That is a culture problem that needs to be fixed.

Football fanatics like you need to be separated from the equation. You are toxic. I hope that young man has a successful life but he can do it without the NFL and takers like you.

I have told people on here this a few times before but I coached HS for a few years in the early 2000s

If the ends justify the means then so be it.
If you have to use the NFL as motivation to get these recruits to strive for something then maybe they can find something else along the path if they don't reach their ultimate goal.

Football is a vehicle for a better life.
It is not the end but the means

If Grier quit he wouldn't be where he is today.
These players work their asses off to get drafted.
Some can get into college with pure talent but those are seen by college coaches very quickly because those players never make it in CFB.

Like I said you should respect his decision.

Definition of "quitter": Someone who chooses not to finish what they started.

Grier = quitter

I have told people on here this a few times before but I coached HS for a few years in the early 2000s

If the ends justify the means then so be it.
If you have to use the NFL as motivation to get these recruits to strive for something then maybe they can find something else along the path if they don't reach their ultimate goal.

Football is a vehicle for a better life.
It is not the end but the means

Wait...what? No, no way....this cant be true.

You coached high school football nearly 20 years ago?

You are a king.

A KING

Exactly.

Grier worked hard. He took performance enhancing drugs to get better and bigger at Florida. He is a quitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT