ADVERTISEMENT

On a more personal level for me...

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
If you work in our industry you can't allow yourself to get too emotional about games but I think everyone here recognizes how special the state is and what importance WVU holds to her people. A couple of days ago we were talking about the song (below) that was released by Morgantown native Huey Mack and I'm guessing for many it pulled on the old heartstrings. It's hard for outsiders to understand what it's like to grow up in the state and always looking to WVU to be one thing you could be proud of. When Mountaineer sports programs struggle it's more than just wins and losses, it's personal. It just means more!

I was driving home earlier and I started listening to that song again, it had me thinking about how the WVU administration has to understand that having to be embarrassed by the football program's condition is not acceptable. It just means more to us and it has to mean more to them. You can't make Neal understand how we feel and you can't force him to coach better. But you do have to hold him accountable for the status of the program and right now it's at one of the lowest levels it's ever reached.

Fans want to be proud of the team that goes onto the field each week and most of you will regardless of the outcome of those games but that pride you feel when little old West Virginia beats the teams they have "no business beating", well that's a feeling that's difficult to put into words. It's time to get that pride back and if that means changing coaches then you have to make the call and do it sooner rather than later.

It just means more!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News