ADVERTISEMENT

OK some things to think about from all over the lot....

4everwv

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2004
-This idea that we are snake-bitten and that we should all be pessimist because we have never won the big one. I'm 60 and I've been a fan as long as I can remember. I contend that there have been way more good times than bad times and I will never be convinced otherwise. 3 different BCS bowl wins when no one else can claim that for example. The Final Four run and beating a stacked Kentucky team to get there. The March Madness run with Gansey under Beilein. The 1982 BB team with the 23 game win streak with Jones and Todd. There are so many great memories. I agree the 88 and 2007 years should have ended with a National Championship. We were far and away the best team in the country, especially in 88. But bad shit happened. I don't believe that that means bad shit will always happen. I for one think that I will live to see a Natty in both sports. My children who are half my age believe that we are cursed and it will never happen. I don't understand it.

-The current football season. Grier is the best QB I've seen in a Mountaineer uniform that will go on to a great NFL career. Bulger was until Grier then Luck, Hoss, Jake, Kendra,Sherwood, and on. I think Grier is destined to be the next Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady. We should all bask in this season because we are witness to greatness in a WVU uniform unlike any QB we've ever had. The receiving corps is too good to be believed as well. I've heard mentions of the three Bilitnikoff Finalist all being from WVU. Just having that talked about is unbelievable. So let's enjoy watching this group because we may never see it's like ever again. Even when he's bad Wil threw for 400 and 4 TD's.

-the current football polling situation is not a beauty contest. There are no style points. Its MARCH MADNESS only for football. You survive and advance. These pollsters look at scores. Few actually see the games. Who wins and who loses. I was hearing this past weekend after all the carnage that a 1 loss OU or a 1 loss LSU may stay ahead of us. I called bullshit. What happened? We rose and OU and LSU plummeted.
If we continue to survive and advance, we will be in the playoffs.

-Parity is the world we live in when it comes to College Football. Anyone can beat anyone. Right Old Dominion? Every week ranked teams lose to unranked teams. Alabama is not invincible.

- Losing Joe Brown is the root of our issues in the 2nd half of Tex Tech and on forward. Playing a freshman 3rd stringer just might have hurt the entire offense.

-we are the only team ranked in both Total Offense e and Total Defense and the only team to have never trailed in a game.

-We are better off moving into Iowa Sate week with Will having struggled vs. Kansas than if he would have been the normal Wil. He will work harder this week as will the offense than in any week of practice so far this year. We will see the real Wil again this week.

-This is the third toughest game left behind at Texas and the Sooners at home. ISU gave OU and TCU all they could handle and beat Okie State in Stillwater. We will need our A game this week.

Overall don't be so pessimistic. Count your blessings and realize we are in rarefied air. I grew up when every week we played a William and Mary and Richmond and having hopefully 1 game a year on TV. We are the smallest state competing at this level. Do you see Wyoming, Vermont, Montana, the Dakotas, New Hampshire or Idaho trying to win a championship vs Clemsom, Alabama, or Ohio State? Ohio alone has 5 cities with more people than our entire state. In the old Big East, every city we went to had more people than our entire state. Pittsburgh, Hartford, Tampa, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, etc, etc. Now we have to go to play schools from Texas, a state with 10 cities bigger than WV. We take where we are for granted and don't stop for a minute and say thank God for Ollie Luck and the Big 12 or we would be in football purgatory in CUSA or the AAC, which came close to being a reality. Quit looking for things to bitch about and instead realize how good things are for Mountaineer fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News