ADVERTISEMENT

Ok...here's an actual football...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
question. This a tough one given WVU's history at this position. Who was the best Mountaineer running back ever?

Speed kills...Slayton or Devine!

Avon Coubourne
#1 in rushes - 1,050
#1 in total 100 yard rushing games - 28
#1 Rushing Yards - 5,164
#3 Rushing touchdowns - 42 (tied for #3)
#7 career plays - 1,051
#10 in total yards 5,164 (the 9 guys in front of him are QB's)

Steve Slaton
#5 in rushes 664
#2 in total 100 yard rushing games - 21 (tied for #2)
#5 Rushing Yards 3,923
#1 Rushing touchdowns - 55
#19 in total yards 3,923

Pat White
#4 in rushes 684
#5 in total 100 yard rushing games - 18
#2 Rushing Yards 4,480
#2 Rushing touchdowns - 47
#2 in total yards 10,529

Steve Slaton was no Avon Couborne. Steve had speed but Coubourne would flat out run you over and dominate a game.

Pat White not a RB but ranks up there with Avon. But Pat was a duel threat QB and people had to respect his passing. Thus he had great run game.

Would Pat White be as good as he was without Slaton? Would Slaton be as good without Pat White?

Avon by far the best RB in WVU history. Power with a decent speed (4.7 / 40) goes a long way.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Avon Coubourne
#1 in rushes - 1,050
#1 in total 100 yard rushing games - 28
#1 Rushing Yards - 5,164
#3 Rushing touchdowns - 42 (tied for #3)
#7 career plays - 1,051
#10 in total yards 5,164 (the 9 guys in front of him are QB's)

Steve Slaton
#5 in rushes 664
#2 in total 100 yard rushing games - 21 (tied for #2)
#5 Rushing Yards 3,923
#1 Rushing touchdowns - 55
#19 in total yards 3,923

Pat White
#4 in rushes 684
#5 in total 100 yard rushing games - 18
#2 Rushing Yards 4,480
#2 Rushing touchdowns - 47
#2 in total yards 10,529

Steve Slaton was no Avon Couborne. Steve had speed but Coubourne would flat out run you over and dominate a game.

Pat White not a RB but ranks up there with Avon. But Pat was a duel threat QB and people had to respect his passing. Thus he had great run game.

Would Pat White be as good as he was without Slaton? Would Slaton be as good without Pat White?

Avon by far the best RB in WVU history. Power with a decent speed (4.7 / 40) goes a long way.
...none had the NFL career of Jim Braxton! I'd favor Avon in an I offense where I was going to feature the TB, he was tough and durable! But if I was going to spread the field give me the jet engines of Devine and Steve.

...none had the NFL career of Jim Braxton! I'd favor Avon in an I offense where I was going to feature the TB, he was tough and durable! But if I was going to spread the field give me the jet engines of Devine and Steve.

Jim Braxton. Died far to young at the age of 37. One of the main reasons that OJ Simpson rushed for so many yards. As Simpson remarks, most of his 11,236 career rushing yards were due to Braxton.

Avon played in the spread option under Rich Rod for 2 years. Rushed for 1,298 yards in 2001 and 1,712 yards in 2002. Ran for more yards in 2 years for Rod 3008 yds than he did Nehlen 2156 yds.

Avon could play in the spread and proved it.

Last edited:
Jim Braxton. Died far to young at the age of 37. One of the main reasons that OJ Simpson rushed for so many yards. As Simpson remarks, most of his 11,236 career rushing yards were due to Braxton.

Avon played in the spread option under Rich Rod for 2 years. Rushed for 1,298 yards in 2001 and 1,712 yards in 2002. Ran for more yards in 2 years for Rod 3008 yds than he did Nehlen 2156 yds.

Avon could play in the spread and proved it.
Avon was a load, plug in up in there hard but was recruited by Don as an I back as you noted. If I absolutely had to have a tough yard, give me Avon but if I had to take it to the house, give me the other two! We may be selling Amos a bit short as well, hell of an College I back. I think Jim Braxton was a WV native as well, I had forgotten he died so young.

Avon was a load, plug in up in there hard but was recruited by Don as an I back as you noted. If I absolutely had to have a tough yard, give me Avon but if I had to take it to the house, give me the other two! We may be selling Amos a bit short as well, hell of an College I back. I think Jim Braxton was a WV native as well, I had forgotten he died so young.

Vanderbilt, PA.

Played High School for Connellsville, (PA)

Kerry Marbury, Slaton

End of thread.

So you believe him to be better Avon, Amous, Slaton, White, Devine, Braxton, Wilson....and many others

Marbury
rushes - not in top 25
1,000 yard rushers - not in top 70 (no 1,000 yard season)
100 yard rushing games - 4 / ranked #28
Rushing touchdowns - 22 / #8

He's not close to the best. Good player yes but the best no.

So you believe him to be better Avon, Amous, Slaton, White, Devine, Braxton, Wilson....and many others

Marbury
rushes - not in top 25
1,000 yard rushers - not in top 70 (no 1,000 yard season)
100 yard rushing games - 4 / ranked #28
Rushing touchdowns - 22 / #8

He's not close to the best. Good player yes but the best no.
We're leaving Smallwood and Robert Alexander off the list.

We're leaving Smallwood and Robert Alexander off the list.

Yes, and Tavon Austin's Oklahoma's half ,surely qualifies as the best effort and ability coming together. Like Marbury, I could pay to watch them every Saturday, forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT