ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD Official Game Thread -- WVU vs. Tennessee

Clock management was Grier fault of running in circles instead of throwing the ball away.

Defense was playing great until the offense quit getting first downs and left Defense on the field.

If we can't beat these guys going away, we are a long way from competing with Oklahoma for the Big XII. Subpar play so far from both sides of the ball. Some flashes of good, but too many mistakes.

First half takeaways...1. WVU emotion has faded away. 2. Tn looks like they feel they aren't the underdog. 3. WVU play calling on offense is just as pathetic as last year. 4. Grier looks like a second string QB forced into action not the hyped star. 5. kicker is the star of the game so far. Hope the second half, when it gets to be played, shows us more.

Sills had a dropped TD on the first field goal, Grier slightly overthrew Sills on the last possession of the first quarter, which would have been another TD. This game very well could have been 21-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Yeah, but you don’t win games with the ole ‘well we could have been 21-0 at the end of the half’ routine

Reactions: Rootmaster
Yeah, but you don’t win games with the ole ‘well we could have been 21-0 at the end of the half’ routine

You don’t, just pointing out the positives and providing a cautionary against being too pessimistic. If we clean up the poor tackling, we will pull away in the second half. Grier needs to settle down a little. He is just a little off.

You don’t, just pointing out the positives and providing a cautionary against being too pessimistic. If we clean up the poor tackling, we will pull away in the second half. Grier needs to settle down a little. He is just a little off.

That's what could make this game so frustrating. Missed opportunities that would have made a 13-7 game into a 28-7 game is can really demoralize this team if they come out in the second half an go 3 and out.

I've been pretty neutral about Holgerson, but one thing I've noticed is his teams are terrible at rebounding from disappointing series or even plays.

At least our d is getting some rest...hopefully we can put something together on our opening drive in the 3rd quarter. Our inability to run concerns me.

We are winning at the half......I swore to have a better attitude this year........the 2nd quarter is testing that pledge greatly.........:chairshot:

Reactions: Rootmaster
When you only have 9 attempts it's hard to get run game going. But do have 41 yds on those 9 carries. 4.6 per carry avg.

Tenn, has 24 attempts 44 yards 1.8 avg.

I would say run game is effective for us.

To be fair though, if Dana gets credit for Grier making good plays, he gets flak for poor play. It's the lack of discipline and fundamentals I fault him for.

I believe the WR, RB QB and OL coaches should share the load of blame in that case. We know you hate Dana you don't have to burn the screen with it.

ALl right, let’s rally up and get a score
tenor.gif

Reactions: Panhandleer
THis whole running the ball thingie seems to stymie Gibbs ...year after year after year after....

You can almost see the coaching staff shrug their shoulders in amazement as they struggle to figure out when running the ball becasme part of the game.....it’s like they’re never ..EVER prepared for it

THis whole running the ball thingie seems to stymie Gibbs ...year after year after year after....

That's because year after year we're the worst tackling team in America. Missed tackle after missed tackle. We get to the right spots, we just don't tackle.

I believe the WR, RB QB and OL coaches should share the load of blame in that case. We know you hate Dana you don't have to burn the screen with it.

Noticing persistent patterns of deficiency in strength/conditioning, tackling fundamentals, and general discipline is hating. Good to know.

Glad we’re getting ewe-t now and not later on in the season........’cause at tome point they’re going to be a tough out

Allison looks the part

A lot do while standing on the sideline........but I do agree, he does "look" like a QB.......we shall see, but let's enjoy Grier this year. And let's hope that Grier doesn't think he's Manziel and tries to extend plays......just throw the damn ball away........no injuries.

Take that haters.

Looked good in the second half. No where near ready to compete with Oklahoma. The biggest thing is these slow starts were apparent last year and shouldn't be happening. I know it's the first game, but this is supposed to be the most experienced and talented offense of Holgorsen's tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT