ADVERTISEMENT

NHL - - Summer 2016

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
With the Cup win now in our rearview mirrors, it's now time to focus on the increasingly active League summer. Already, there have been few interesting stories:

-- When will the Las Vegas Rat Pack/Gamblers/Outlaws/Black or Silver Knights/Neon/Aces/Rattlers/Scorpions/et AL be formally announced, and how will the expansion/distribution Draft be finally defined ?? With an incoming entry fee reportedly as high as a half billion USD, Vegas owner Bill Foley seems entitled to demand a fair amount more than the scraps typically made available to expansion franchises traditionally.

--Meanwhile, when will Quebec finally receive the invitation to which they're.....on paper, at least..... arguably more entitled than Las Vegas ?? Of course, if you know when the Canadian dollar will strengthen to make the timing right for such an invite, you probably have better things to do than read THIS board.

--The 2016 Awards are coming up Wednesday night and there are seldom any real surprises. I don't want Patty Kane to win the Hart over Sid OR Benn, but I doubt those two will ballot anywhere close to PK. I also think Holtby will win the Vezina (and Trotz the Jack Adams) going away. The Norris is a pretty interesting competition, but I figure Canadian voters to vote for Karlsson as a block to give North-of-the-Border fans SOME reason to tune in.

--That's also the reason I figure McDavid to win the Calder over not one but TWO more deserving rookies (not that anyone cares, but I'd have probably leaned to Panerin over Ghost). I guess I'm also assuming the increasingly-insufferable Jaromir Jagr will essentially shutout Duper and Zuccarello for the Masterton. As for the Selke, I myself couldn't give two shits who's up for it or who wins it.

--I've got absolutely NO clue right now what a Calgary deal for Fleury will bring back to Pittsburgh, nor what GMJR will trade for a currently-signed backup like Brian Elliott. If the Pens can somehow get a #2 pick, I'd consider it a decent deal. I assume Brad Treliving will demand the Pens take back at least SOME salary (like Mason Raymond). Might be the ONLY way the Pens get a decent pick.

Last edited:
With the Cup win now in our rearview mirrors, it's now time to focus on the increasingly active League summer. Already, there have been few interesting stories:

-- When will the Las Vegas Rat Pack/Gamblers/Outlaws/Black or Silver Knights/Neon/Aces/Rattlers/Scorpions/et AL be formally announced, and how will the expansion/distribution Draft be finally defined ?? With an incoming entry fee reportedly as high as a half billion USD, Vegas owner Bill Foley seems entitled to demand a fair amount more than the scraps typically made available to expansion franchises traditionally.

--Meanwhile, when will Quebec finally receive the invitation to which they're.....on paper, at least..... arguably more entitled than Las Vegas ?? Of course, if you know when the Canadian dollar will strengthen to make the timing right for such an invite, you probably have better things to do than read THIS board.

--The 2016 Awards are coming up Wednesday night and there are seldom any real surprises. I don't want Patty Kane to win the Hart over Sid OR Benn, but I doubt those two will ballot anywhere close to PK. I also think Holtby will win the Vezina (and Trotz the Jack Adams) going away. The Norris is a pretty interesting competition, but I figure Canadian voters to vote for Karlsson as a block to give North-of-the-Border fans SOME reason to tune in.

--That's also the reason I figure McDavid to win the Calder over not one but TWO more deserving rookies (not that anyone cares, but I'd have probably leaned to Panerin over Ghost). I guess I'm also assuming the increasingly-insufferable Jaromir Jagr will essentially shutout Duper and Zuccarello for the Masterton. As for the Selke, I myself couldn't give two shits who's up for it or who wins it.

--I've got absolutely NO clue right now what a Calgary deal for Fleury will bring back to Pittsburgh, nor what GMJR will trade for a currently-signed backup like Brian Elliott. If the Pens can somehow get a #2 pick, I'd consider it a decent deal. I assume Brad Treliving will demand the Pens take back at least SOME salary (like Mason Raymond). Might be the ONLY way the Pens get a decent pick.
Not sure if you all heard but it appears Strombo has been thrown under the bus by HNIC...After the amount of hype they tried to generate surrounding his hire, this one looks pretty bad imo. The amount of whining from the media up here about how no Canadian teams being in this years playoffs caused ratings to nosedive, and apparently it's now all Strombo's fault?
I'm one who feels he honestly knows the game fairly well (although likely a bit less than MacLean, who is apparently coming back, and who I imagine is being lauded by the old dinosaurs within the biz), I can remember back to his start in broadcasting on local sports radio ( Fan 590 AM, a Rogers property) , and then moving over to music (The Canadian version of MTV, MuchMusic), then to his own show on CBC. I wonder how much of a fair shake George really got with a 2 year stint. Personally I see Strombo as more of a fan (a BIG one) of the game, and Ron more of an expert. Perhaps some of the well established talking heads just felt more comfortable with Ron....however if generating a new brand of fandom, and INCREASING viewers long term was/is Rogers goal, sticking with the old guard is a mistake imo....Baseball and Basketball (obviously the Jays and Raptors)are seeing huge increases with youthful audiences at the expense of hockey and I dont see this change reversing this dynamic. Also in regards to very young hockey fans the number of actual Leaf fans vs 'insert team name here' locally and I would wager country wide is dwindling bigtime...it seems if they are choosing hockey they are choosing their teams based on player over civic pride...the Leaves and to an extent other Canadian teams abject failure likely has a lot to do with this imo...

With regards to Quebec City I would think they'd need a significant increase in the Canadian dollar to realize anything but failure at a whopping 1/2 billion! The fans in Quebec likely deserve a team more than Vegas , which imo at a $500 deposit on tickets selling at what seems a snails pace leaves yours truly scratching his chin a bit...for Quebec City to sell 18,000 seats and FILL luxury boxes on a regular basis seems a tall task...I also have a bit of a raised eyebrow that a portion of MY tax money won't go toward propping up a QC franchise in the way of the ever continuing 'transfer payments' to Quebec and its corruption laced gov't and private business, that continually anger many in English Canada...there's a 'little' company called Bombardier up there that eats up 'free' money like candy, and seems to fail at every turn of late ....Toronto is waiting on hundreds of streetcars delayed, airplane contracts awarded with scads of government monies etc...I'll shut up now before I get too far off on tangent lol....

Reactions: COOL MAN
Oh one more thing guys...how do ya think the Wings feel right about now with roughly 7 mil that they dont have to pay however do have to account for on their cap? Lol....I imagine they're real pleased with Pavel's decision.....

You'll love this one CM...apparently today's deal by the Leaves of their bottom of barrel 1st rounder to Anaheim for Andersen has them all in a tizzy! Apparently according to one sports radio brainiac this equates to the Leaves winning in the Kessel deal!?!...couldn't make this shit up if you tried...lmao. Careful Leafers! Remember that 'promising' young fella Bernier? Perhaps they forget too damned easy around here....

Not sure if you all heard but it appears Strombo has been thrown under the bus by HNIC...After the amount of hype they tried to generate surrounding his hire, this one looks pretty bad imo. The amount of whining from the media up here about how no Canadian teams being in this years playoffs caused ratings to nosedive, and apparently it's now all Strombo's fault?
I'm one who feels he honestly knows the game fairly well (although likely a bit less than MacLean, who is apparently coming back, and who I imagine is being lauded by the old dinosaurs within the biz), I can remember back to his start in broadcasting on local sports radio ( Fan 590 AM, a Rogers property) , and then moving over to music (The Canadian version of MTV, MuchMusic), then to his own show on CBC. I wonder how much of a fair shake George really got with a 2 year stint. Personally I see Strombo as more of a fan (a BIG one) of the game, and Ron more of an expert. Perhaps some of the well established talking heads just felt more comfortable with Ron....however if generating a new brand of fandom, and INCREASING viewers long term was/is Rogers goal, sticking with the old guard is a mistake imo....Baseball and Basketball (obviously the Jays and Raptors)are seeing huge increases with youthful audiences at the expense of hockey and I dont see this change reversing this dynamic. Also in regards to very young hockey fans the number of actual Leaf fans vs 'insert team name here' locally and I would wager country wide is dwindling bigtime...it seems if they are choosing hockey they are choosing their teams based on player over civic pride...the Leaves and to an extent other Canadian teams abject failure likely has a lot to do with this imo...

With regards to Quebec City I would think they'd need a significant increase in the Canadian dollar to realize anything but failure at a whopping 1/2 billion! The fans in Quebec likely deserve a team more than Vegas , which imo at a $500 deposit on tickets selling at what seems a snails pace leaves yours truly scratching his chin a bit...for Quebec City to sell 18,000 seats and FILL luxury boxes on a regular basis seems a tall task...I also have a bit of a raised eyebrow that a portion of MY tax money won't go toward propping up a QC franchise in the way of the ever continuing 'transfer payments' to Quebec and its corruption laced gov't and private business, that continually anger many in English Canada...there's a 'little' company called Bombardier up there that eats up 'free' money like candy, and seems to fail at every turn of late ....Toronto is waiting on hundreds of streetcars delayed, airplane contracts awarded with scads of government monies etc...I'll shut up now before I get too far off on tangent lol....

Exactly why Rogers needed a scapegoat with everyone in Canada getting shutout of the playoffs is hard for me to understand, though it seems pretty clear Strombo didn't generate much in the way of new fans. Of course, coming on the heels of dyed-in-the-wool guys like Brian McFarlane, Dave Hodge, and Ron MacLean, Strombo hardly had the persona of someone conservative Canadian viewers would warm to very quickly (and I've been hearing his Euro-flash tight suits got him sideways with viewers). I admit I found him a little hard to deal with up front, but I myself started to get comfortable with him this past season. Frankly, if Rogers needed scapegoats, I honestly don't know why they didn't look either side of him and eject (especially) Kypreos and Stock.

Oh one more thing guys...how do ya think the Wings feel right about now with roughly 7 mil that they dont have to pay however do have to account for on their cap? Lol....I imagine they're real pleased with Pavel's decision.....

Datsyuk clearly put the screws to his old team, but I hardly feel sorry for them when you consider the way Holland circumvented the cap with those million/season contracts he gave to friggin' Zetterberg. Still, all Holland has to do is give a couple middling picks (maybe one this season and one next) to Arizona to take PD's contract off his hands, and he's clear. Of course, KH has gone on record as saying he won't do that; if so, that's his problem.

You'll love this one CM...apparently today's deal by the Leaves of their bottom of barrel 1st rounder to Anaheim for Andersen has them all in a tizzy! Apparently according to one sports radio brainiac this equates to the Leaves winning in the Kessel deal!?!...couldn't make this shit up if you tried...lmao. Careful Leafers! Remember that 'promising' young fella Bernier? Perhaps they forget too damned easy around here....

I guess the Leaves traded the Pens' #1 to the Ducks......so the deal officially closes out as Kessel plus $1.2 million worth of cap relief for Kapanen, Harrington, and whatever portion of Andersen you decide. Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me for the Pens; and when you consider Matthews and Marner and all those other young forwards aren't going to be much help behind the blue line, it won't surprise me at all if Andersen.....without Vatanen and Bieksa and Fowler and Despres and Lindholm (who may be the best of the group) in front of him.....under-performs his contract, and fairly badly.

Reactions: torontoeers
Exactly why Rogers needed a scapegoat with everyone in Canada getting shutout of the playoffs is hard for me to understand, though it seems pretty clear Strombo didn't generate much in the way of new fans. Of course, coming on the heels of dyed-in-the-wool guys like Brian McFarlane, Dave Hodge, and Ron MacLean, Strombo hardly had the persona of someone conservative Canadian viewers would warm to very quickly (and I've been hearing his Euro-flash tight suits got him sideways with viewers). I admit I found him a little hard to deal with up front, but I myself started to get comfortable with him this past season. Frankly, if Rogers needed scapegoats, I honestly don't know why they didn't look either side of him and eject (especially) Kypreos and Stock.

Datsyuk clearly put the screws to his old team, but I hardly feel sorry for them when you consider the way Holland circumvented the cap with those million/season contracts he gave to friggin' Zetterberg. Still, all Holland has to do is give a couple middling picks (maybe one this season and one next) to Arizona to take PD's contract off his hands, and he's clear. Of course, KH has gone on record as saying he won't do that; if so, that's his problem.

I guess the Leaves traded the Pens' #1 to the Ducks......so the deal officially closes out as Kessel plus $1.2 million worth of cap relief for Kapanen, Harrington, and whatever portion of Andersen you decide. Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me for the Pens; and when you consider Matthews and Marner and all those other young forwards aren't going to be much help behind the blue line, it won't surprise me at all if Andersen.....without Vatanen and Bieksa and Fowler and Despres and Lindholm (who may be the best of the group) in front of him.....under-performs his contract, and fairly badly.
Stock is the absolute WORST analyst I have ever seen...a laughingstock up here...even Healy makes fun of him lol...the guy can barely string 2 words together, I have no idea who his stylist is but whomever they are they should walk a plank at sea, and half the time PJ opens his yapper you see the others (especially Hrudey, who actually is a pretty nice fella imo and comes of as such), sorta make the rolleye, even though trying to half disguise it. And Kypper is a flat out half wit jerk, as i'm sure I've said before lol...more LeBrun/Dreger would make this guy a bit happier, and Hrudey for that matter...

So what are we all to make of this Hawks/Malkin rumour out of NY? I know one thing....I am hoping for NO PART of that Seabrook albatross contract! The Hawks have about 8 mil of space and 3 or 4 fairly important pieces to sign yet so I'm thinkin if anything GMJR is asking for a big gun? He has to be...prospects/ drafts going the Pens way aren't gonna cut it for the Hawks...they MUST unload $$$...Would they part with Keith? Or Panarin? I'll admit I'd like a big SOB dirty prick like Keith in some ways, but now is the time one might start to wonder about his durability long term...although this Pens D did an admirable job down the stretch, and Daley will be full health, and assuming Lovejoy is headed elsewhere down the road...I could also see the Hawks requesting Bonino in any deal...just a gut feel there....

One more thing...they all assume this Andersen deal is the bell tolling for Stamer here....I say do it Leaves! You've now got 5 of that 10 mil ya had in cap space left. Hmmm...who will they be jettisoning to 'Lamoriello Island' never to be heard from again? This tactic while perhaps smart in ridding one's self of useless cap hit's, could also prove deadly per their rep in the league among players imo...'if they did that with him?....well what are they gonna do with ME should I not measure up???'....

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
Stock is the absolute WORST analyst I have ever seen...a laughingstock up here...even Healy makes fun of him lol...the guy can barely string 2 words together, I have no idea who his stylist is but whomever they are they should walk a plank at sea, and half the time PJ opens his yapper you see the others (especially Hrudey, who actually is a pretty nice fella imo and comes of as such), sorta make the rolleye, even though trying to half disguise it. And Kypper is a flat out half wit jerk, as i'm sure I've said before lol...more LeBrun/Dreger would make this guy a bit happier, and Hrudey for that matter...

So what are we all to make of this Hawks/Malkin rumour out of NY? I know one thing....I am hoping for NO PART of that Seabrook albatross contract! The Hawks have about 8 mil of space and 3 or 4 fairly important pieces to sign yet so I'm thinkin if anything GMJR is asking for a big gun? He has to be...prospects/ drafts going the Pens way aren't gonna cut it for the Hawks...they MUST unload $$$...Would they part with Keith? Or Panarin? I'll admit I'd like a big SOB dirty prick like Keith in some ways, but now is the time one might start to wonder about his durability long term...although this Pens D did an admirable job down the stretch, and Daley will be full health, and assuming Lovejoy is headed elsewhere down the road...I could also see the Hawks requesting Bonino in any deal...just a gut feel there....

One more thing...they all assume this Andersen deal is the bell tolling for Stamer here....I say do it Leaves! You've now got 5 of that 10 mil ya had in cap space left. Hmmm...who will they be jettisoning to 'Lamoriello Island' never to be heard from again? This tactic while perhaps smart in ridding one's self of useless cap hit's, could also prove deadly per their rep in the league among players imo...'if they did that with him?....well what are they gonna do with ME should I not measure up???'....

I've always thought of Stock as a smart-mouthed little prick for whom I've never figured out how he got a national TV job. And I know how you feel about Kypreos; somebody for whom I have a comparable amount of disdain. Back to Strombo for a second, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of him. A flame-out on a Program with HNIC's profile can't be very good for anyone wanting to stay on TV in Canada. Perhaps he goes back to music/entertainment......but you have to figure it'd be quite a step back for him from a money standpoint.

As for the Malkin rumors, I myself think they're much ado about nothing. Down in these parts, that damned Eklund has been drumming up these kinds of stories about Malkin for his blog for ages. If the latest basis for the story was that Malkin and Panerin were close buddies and wanted to play together, at least that would give fans something to scratch their heads over. But I haven't read anything like that thus far

Not sure Eklund is the root of the recent "rumors"; but even if they were true, we all know there's no way for the Hawks to take on another $10 million/season contract without moving that much out. You mentioned Seabrook as a possible exchange; I admit I didn't follow the Hawks that closely this past season, but his reputation seems to have taken a fairly big hit since he signed his new contract. Besides, if Geno ends up having that major elbow surgery, I find it hard to believe anyone will roll the dice with him. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money he's not going anywhere.

As for Stamkos, I wonder if even they're prepared to legitimately throw upwards of $11-12 million/season at him with no ability to insure the deal. That makes his future pretty iffy for most anyone.....even other established teams who (like the Leaves) could potentially withstand the financial risk.

I'm still not sure Tampa can make him a good enough offer given the sheer number of core assets it could cost them (Killorn and Kucherov need RFA deals now, and Drouin, Johnson, and Palat all need RFA deals after next season.....and all that's before Hedman's upcoming UFA deal.....and doesn't include Bishop). No matter what you think of him, Yzerman has a rough year ahead of him.

I'm wondering if the Canadiens will end up in the Stammer derby.

I've always thought of Stock as a smart-mouthed little prick for whom I've never figured out how he got a national TV job. And I know how you feel about Kypreos; somebody for whom I have a comparable amount of disdain. Back to Strombo for a second, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of him. A flame-out on a Program with HNIC's profile can't be very good for anyone wanting to stay on TV in Canada. Perhaps he goes back to music/entertainment......but you have to figure it'd be quite a step back for him from a money standpoint.

As for the Malkin rumors, I myself think they're much ado about nothing. Down in these parts, that damned Eklund has been drumming up these kinds of stories about Malkin for his blog for ages. If the latest basis for the story was that Malkin and Panerin were close buddies and wanted to play together, at least that would give fans something to scratch their heads over. But I haven't read anything like that thus far

Not sure Eklund is the root of the recent "rumors"; but even if they were true, we all know there's no way for the Hawks to take on another $10 million/season contract without moving that much out. You mentioned Seabrook as a possible exchange; I admit I didn't follow the Hawks that closely this past season, but his reputation seems to have taken a fairly big hit since he signed his new contract. Besides, if Geno ends up having that major elbow surgery, I find it hard to believe anyone will roll the dice with him. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money he's not going anywhere.

As for Stamkos, I wonder if even they're prepared to legitimately throw upwards of $11-12 million/season at him with no ability to insure the deal. That makes his future pretty iffy for most anyone.....even other established teams who (like the Leaves) could potentially withstand the financial risk.

I'm still not sure Tampa can make him a good enough offer given the sheer number of core assets it could cost them (Killorn and Kucherov need RFA deals now, and Drouin, Johnson, and Palat all need RFA deals after next season.....and all that's before Hedman's upcoming UFA deal.....and doesn't include Bishop). No matter what you think of him, Yzerman has a rough year ahead of him.

I'm wondering if the Canadiens will end up in the Stammer derby.
Funny you mention the Habs and Stammer CM...I've been thinking same. However one thing I think could be plausible is them offering him big bank on a one year term, both because of near future cap implications, expansion draft, and his health/insurance concerns...I would think this could work in Stammer's favour somewhat as well. He gets an extra year to monitor just what the Leaves are doing (if that's where he eventually wants to end up), what factors expansion brings to the mix, and potentially puts him head to head with Johnny T in the free agent sweepstakes next yr? Perhaps this bumps both their values next year? Not sure....
I think you're bang on with Yzerman....no way he can afford him short or long term...

This Vegas thing is extremely interesting on so many levels....I'm gonna need about 3 days to scribe all my thoughts on it as will you too I'm sure lol....never mind the frenzy of free agents, draft, etc....A LOT of factors at play this next 2 weeks....and I love it! Good thing im on holiday out east in a week I'll have plenty of time to digest all of it! :smiley:

The winner of the Calder Trophy as the League’s top rookie is Artemi Panarin.

The winner of the Ted Lindsay Award for most outstanding player, as voted by the players, is Patrick Kane

The winner of the Masterton Trophy for perseverance and dedication to hockey is Jaromir Jagr.

The Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award goes to Shea Weber.

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy for leadership on & off the ice & community contribution is Henrik Sedin.

The NHL Foundation Player Award goes to Mark Giordano.

The Norris Trophy for the League’s top defenseman goes to Drew Doughty.

The Selke Trophy, for the forward who best excels in defensive aspects of the game, goes to Anze Kopitar.

The winner of the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy is Alex Ovechkin.

The William M. Jennings Trophy Winners are Frederik Andersen & John Gibson.

The winner of the Jack Adams Award for the League’s top head coach is Barry Trotz.

The winner of the Art Ross Trophy is Patrick Kane.

The Lady Byng Trophy, for the player best combining sportsmanship and ability, goes to Anze Kopitar.

The Vezina Trophy for the League’s top goaltender goes to Braden Holtby.

The Hart Trophy for the player voted most valuable to his team goes to Patrick Kane.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoeers
  • News this morning is that Vegas Gold is officially dead, and so-called Pittsburgh.....which I've been calling Lemieux......Gold is the standard for all Pens unis beginning next season. To me, this was only a matter of time happening once they re-rolled out the Lemieux-era blacks last season. Looks like the road whites are largely tracking the design of the home blacks.
  • Was glad to hear yesterday that Geno will avoid visiting the elbow surgeon this summer; everything I'd heard until now was that going under the knife might well have cost him a decent part of next season.

--Pens trade Beau Bennett to NJD for a #3 pick (#77) which they turn into Kitchener defenseman Connor Hall (6-2 190).

--Pens first pick in the 2nd Round (#55) was Swedish goaltender Filip Gustavsson (6-2 185); only the second goalie picked, and rated the #1 Euro goalie by Central Scouting.

Sounds to me like they're about ready to flush the rapidly deteriorating Tristan Jarry who, as early as a year ago, was viewed as a fairly solid prospect). Of course, they didn't expect him to collapse at WB/S and get benched (and ignored) in the playoffs.

--With their 2nd 2nd rounder (#61), Pens select LW Kasper Bjornqvist (#22 on Central Scouting's ranking of Euro skaters).

--With Brian Elliott going to Calgary.....and Ben Bishop rumored possibly to be heading to Dallas..... there's no question Flower is definitely staying in Pittsburgh for now.

This may be THE funniest news of Day 2 of the Draft........Columbus bails on former #1 stiff Kerby Rychel and finds a taker in Toronto for non-NHL skater SCOTT HARRINGTON and a conditional #5 pick. The Leaves' return for Kessel continues to flow into Lake Ontario; wonder how long it'll be before Lamoriello bails on Kapanen.

Columbus had previously shocked the hockey world by passing on Jesse Puljujarvi......and delighting Edmonton (who needed another forward like I need to gain another 20 pounds) in the process.....by taking Dubois kid, and now they add a player so meh that he couldn't get a sniff this past season from one of THE worst defenses in the business.

Maybe Boone Jenner will just go ahead and kick the shit out him one day in 2016 camp.

Pens have re-signed Tim Erixon to a 2-way, one year RFA deal valued at $575K.

Just me talking, but if they're focused on a deep fringe guy like Erixon....who admittedly does need a deal from someone even if he never plays another minute in the NHL......that's a fairly clear indicator to me they're moving on from both Lovejoy and Schultz (which was virtually guaranteed when they didn't move Fleury). That also means Derrick Pouliot gets a full-time job in 2016 (presumably paired with Ian Cole) whether he deserves it or not.

OM was talking about this earlier, but I'm wondering if GMJR eventually will try and move some salary before the season starts. Of course, it's no secret that's one of the two areas (along with adding Draft picks) where NHL GM's expend most of their efforts this time of year. But the Pens are up against the cap ceiling and need at least some breathing room.

But since JR is apparently committed to start the season with MAF on the roster......which I guess could change quickly if someone has a major injury in goal in camp......you'd have to think the only real opportunities to move salary would be Kunitz or maybe Fehr (and I myself don't know who'd want either).

Meanwhile, speaking of Flower, I'm wondering if he took full advantage of his veteran status and declined to accept a deal to anyone. Now, I realize it's entirely possible Calgary preferred Brian Elliott.....though I think he only has one more year under contract (unlike Flower's three remaining years).

But. I kind-of doubt Calgary was anxious to give up two decent picks for a guy they control only for a single season (though at a price well under half that of Flower). Anyway, I'd have been perfectly happy with the #2 and conditional #3 pick (and the cap room) St Louis received for Elliott.

I wanted to get the local flavor in Columbus of the fact they passed on Jesse Puljujarvi in favor of the Dubois kid......who certainly appears to fit the Blue Jackets current mold by being big and drawing a lot of PIM's. But catch the following comment by Columbus Dispatch scribe Michael Arace on what this means for the team:

I was a little harsh after Friday’s first round, when Kekalainen passed on the acclaimed third-best prospect, right wing Jesse Puljujarvi, and instead used the No. 3 overall pick on newly minted center Pierre-Luc Dubois. Kekalainen failed in his attempt to trade down and pick up more assets. He also turned his back on an NHL-ready power forward who might score a ton of goals with Connor McDavid dishing to him in Edmonton.

Yet, I have to respect that Kekalainen stuck with his scouts’ list, went against form and took the player they had pegged third-best. Let us now remember (Doug) MacLean, who went off the book and took Gilbert Brule instead of Anze Kopitar in 2005. Yeesh.

Time will tell whether Kekalainen is right on Dubois. In any case, it is not likely that Dubois will be ready to contribute next season, and there might not be room for him, anyway. The Jackets’ roster is packed with fat long-term contracts and no-movement clauses. Kekalainen has identified his core and locked it up, and at this point, there is little he can do in the way of modification. Four words: Nathan Clarkson David Horton.
Granted Jarmo Kekalainen isn't Doug MacLean....who's now on TV (and no longer in an NHL office) where he belongs.....but it's not unfair for Jackets' fans to scratch their heads at least a little bit after the weekend (not to mention the fact they traded a former #1 for Scott Harrington). But do the Blue Jackets really need another big dude who looks more for the hit than a documented goal scorer ??

The latest from the Pens on those who received (and didn't receive) qualifying offers:

Forward Dom Uher has received a qualifying offer from the Penguins, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford. The following players did not receive qualifying offers and will instead become unrestricted free agents on July 1: Tyler Biggs, James Melindy, Daniel O’Donoghue, Matthias Placta, Harrison Ruopp, Justin Schultz, and Anton Zlobin.

I thought the team previously liked (at least a little bit) Ruopp and Zlobin; though, for presumably the same reason they bailed on Beau Bennett, perhaps neither aligns with the team's newfound emphasis on skating and speed. Placta, as the return for train wreck Sergei Plotnikov was hardly any shock to be passed over, nor was Biggs. I have no clue whatsoever about either Melindy or O'Donoghue, while the rest of North America awaits word (along with Pens fans) on the team who qualifies Schultz at almost $4 million.

This is no scoop, but I think the Pens would be happy to resign Schultz at a team-friendly number.....say, 1 year/$2 million.....if everyone else passed as well, taking (I hope) that qualifying number down the tubes.

--Pens trade Beau Bennett to NJD for a #3 pick (#77) which they turn into Kitchener defenseman Connor Hall (6-2 190).

I honestly don't know if this is a surprise or not...... but the Devils apparently did NOT qualify Beau Bennett, making him (like every other RFA not receiving a qualifying offer) a UFA.

That is beautiful...

CmDNTzLWYAQHo8W.jpg

Last edited:
So, another dead summer day in the NHL.......
  • Stamkos reportedly staying in Tampa
  • Oilers trade Taylor Hall to the NJD for Adam Larsson (1 for 1)
  • Canadiens trade PK Subban to Nashville for Shea Weber (1 for 1)
I suspect the Stamkos news has been established for a week or so. It was always hard to reconcile why he'd want to go to Toronto or Detroit or Buffalo for few more dollars (less the additional taxes) and more pressure, especially when Tampa is just so set for him. Of course, I don't know who he''s going to be playing with 2 years from now after Hedman gets his raise, and Yzerman has to decide who gets sacrificed from the group of Bishop (obviously), Drouin, Johnson, Killorn, Kucherov, and Palat,

Regarding Hall for Larsson, there's little doubt in my mind Larsson can play and will really help the Oil who have a train wreck at defense. Still, it seems like Ray Shero jammed a red hot poker up Peter Chiarelli's arse with this deal, especially when you consider Shero needs Hall as bad or worse than Chiarellli needs Larsson.

As for Subban and Weber, I don't really care the Canadiens moved Subban (who I know was a prima donna in the Habs room). But what I honestly can't believe, however, is that Bergevin actually sided with Therrien (who Subban and half of Montreal.....or more...can't stand).

Shea Weber will probably do more good things for Montreal (and Carey Price, especially) than their fans realize.....especially against rough teams like the Bruins. But when Therrien is finally sacrificed in a year or two.....and Weber (almost 4 years older) starts slowing down (if that hasn't already started to happen).....Habs fans will be hanging Bergevin in effigy.

Of course, there's no guarantee Subban will settle swimmingly in Nashville, either. Something about a black hockey player attempting to take a lead role in, of all places, Nashville.....with a high-maintenance character like James Neal supposedly already causing his own problems in their room.....sounds like a train wreck potentially waiting to happen. Regardless, I'm not sure if Bergevin or Chiarelli is getting roasted under a hotter fire tonight.

I'm also not sure there's ever been an hour in the NHL quite like the one today when all three of these stories came down.

Free agency as of 200PM EDT on Day 1:
  • Ben Lovejoy -- 3 years, $8.1 million from NJD
  • Jeff Zatkoff -- 2 years, $1.8 million from LA
Nothing yet on Justin Schultz or Matt Cullen. Other interesting signings include:
  • James Reimer -- 5 years, $17 million from Florida
  • Franz Neilsen -- 6 years, $31.5 million from Detroit
  • Milan Lucic -- 7 years, $42 million from Edmonton
  • David Perron -- 2 years, $7 million from St Louis
  • David Backes -- 5 years, $30 million from Boston
  • Loui Eriksson -- 6 years, $36 million from Vancouver
  • Kyle Okposo -- 7 years, $42 million from Buffalo
  • Troy Brouwer -- 4 years, $18 million from Calgary
  • Eric Staal -- 3 years, $10.5 million from Minnesota
  • Jason Chimera -- 2 years, $4.5 million from NYI
  • Al Montoya -- 1 year, $950K from Montreal
  • Andrew Ladd -- 7 years, $38.5 million from NYI
  • Alex Radulov -- 1 year, $5.75 million from Montreal
  • Dan Hamhuis -- 2 years, $7.5 million from Dallas
  • Victor Hedman -- 8 year extension, $63 million from Tampa ($7.875 million cap hit)
Tampa has resigned/extended Stamkos and Hedman for a combined $16.375 million/season; really, not bad at all in today's NHL.

Last edited:
Beau Bennett -- 1 year, $725K from NJD
Michael Grabner -- 2 years, $3.3 million from NYR
Lee Stempniak -- 2 years, $5 million from Carolina
Andrei Vasilevskiy -- 3 year extension, $10.5 million from Tampa
Jim Rutherford -- 3 year extension from Penguins
Tom Sestito/Steve Oleksy sign 1 year/2-way deals with the Penguins
David Warsofsky returns to the Penguins on a 1 year/2-way deal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT