ADVERTISEMENT

NHL...Seems Little Napoleon and Bill Daly

Tell me, t, is this story finally going to prove to be the genie-let-out-of-the-bottle for the NHL in Toronto ??

Obviously, concussions have been a pretty big issue in the League since Sid put them front and center. But until now, I myself always felt like the League was far more about focusing on getting hits-to-the-head out of the game (which they seem to insist publicly to be the root of the problem) rather than analyzing any of the game's basic contributing factors.

While there has obviously been significant (and increasing) discussion on the issue here in the States surrounding the NFL, I myself have long felt John Q. NFL-fan fan really has little personal interest (or stake) in the issue.

In other words.....while even the most vocal NFL fan doesn't want their players injured (hence, affecting their team's chances to win).....I feel fans are generally content to wash their own hands of the issue, and leave it to the League and NFLPA (and the ex-players not represented by the Union) to address it in whatever manner it needs to be, well, addressed

With that in mind, could this represent the League and NHLPA's public crossroads on this issue ?? If THN really gets behind the story, perhaps that happens. If so, you know damned well the first guys the PA will trot out to the dais will be Sid and Jonny Toews.

Of course, NHL players (as individuals) don't have a history of opposing the League to anywhere near the extent of NFL (and especially MLB) players. I also get the (perhaps mistaken) impression concussions are far less a problem with youth hockey players in Canada than they are with youth football players here in the States.

IMO, the NHL will be ultimately be far more successful at sweeping the problem under the rug than is currently the case with the NFL.

Tell me, t, is this story finally going to prove to be the genie-let-out-of-the-bottle for the NHL in Toronto ??

Obviously, concussions have been a pretty big issue in the League since Sid put them front and center. But until now, I myself always felt like the League was far more about focusing on getting hits-to-the-head out of the game (which they seem to insist publicly to be the root of the problem) rather than analyzing any of the game's basic contributing factors.

While there has obviously been significant (and increasing) discussion on the issue here in the States surrounding the NFL, I myself have long felt John Q. NFL-fan fan really has little personal interest (or stake) in the issue.

In other words.....while even the most vocal NFL fan doesn't want their players injured (hence, affecting their team's chances to win).....I feel fans are generally content to wash their own hands of the issue, and leave it to the League and NFLPA (and the ex-players not represented by the Union) to address it in whatever manner it needs to be, well, addressed

With that in mind, could this represent the League and NHLPA's public crossroads on this issue ?? If THN really gets behind the story, perhaps that happens. If so, you know damned well the first guys the PA will trot out to the dais will be Sid and Jonny Toews.

Of course, NHL players (as individuals) don't have a history of opposing the League to anywhere near the extent of NFL (and especially MLB) players. I also get the (perhaps mistaken) impression concussions are far less a problem with youth hockey players in Canada than they are with youth football players here in the States.

IMO, the NHL will be ultimately be far more successful at sweeping the problem under the rug than is currently the case with the NFL.
Been meaning to get to this question for a while CM....and wish I had a conclusive answer as to whether the NHL takes it seriously (evidence to the contrary) ....and whether it is the same in youth hockey vs football....however in playing both sports over a good number of years (I was always a better football player than hockey player funny enough lol...and still play to this day in a spring and fall league vs and with former/current CFL / Canadian University players at 42 lmao ...I'm more of a possession receiver than deep threat like I used to be hahaha), I had my bell rung in football several times..... I can honestly say I have had far more broken bones and had my bell rung twice in football in about 20-25 years...as opposed to a constant ache with my injuries playing hockey? Bruises every day which take weeks to heal rather than months.. I've had both knees ripped apart (PCL), fingers broken (3 of them , pinkies broke at least 3 times each they're mangled lol), broken wrist, cracked ribs and a badly torn glute all from football...hockey? A cracked tailbone from hitting the edge of the boards backwards when the gate was open for a line change....damn did THAT hurt! And as I say that general ache week after week in my bones....

Thus I'm gonna surmise only based on my experience that football takes a slightly bigger toll on the body. ..it is just as painful the injuries but a longer recovery if that makes sense? And I have never experienced a concussion from hockey. ...only football. Just relating my own experiences to try and make sense of it ....

The parents/friends I know are definitely concerned about the rash of concussion related issues of late in hockey...although my good friend just recently started his son in football (non contact this year, and full equipment next)...
Soccer seems to be the sport du jour around these parts although it's concussion rate is also very high. ...I think some parents are blindly unaware of the inherent risk just about any sport can give...not sure this answers your question but hopefully adds to the discussion....

ADVERTISEMENT