ADVERTISEMENT

New Pizza place in Morgantown - Lefty's Place

va87eer

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2006
One of my friends just opened a new pizza place in Morgantown at 236 Walnut Street. It's called "Lefty's Place" and serves Detroit style pizza. It will be a few weeks until they have beer.

He has run a couple other places in the past with good success so I'm looking forward to trying it in football season

Okay I'll bite- what is Detroit style pizza?

They give you the pizza but then shoot you before you can eat it. Just kidding.

It's a kind of deep dish pizza where they put the sauce on top of the cheese. I've googled and there are other small nuances with the crust.

In full disclosure i haven't tried it yet but hope to get up in Feb for a couple bball games. If you go there ask for Amel and tell him Joe sent you.

Reactions: Mog
They give you the pizza but then shoot you before you can eat it. Just kidding.

It's a kind of deep dish pizza where they put the sauce on top of the cheese. I've googled and there are other small nuances with the crust.

In full disclosure i haven't tried it yet but hope to get up in Feb for a couple bball games. If you go there ask for Amel and tell him Joe sent you.
Detroit pizza is usually square or ver often found to be rectangular, it is a thicker crust than NY style but not as thick as Chicago style, it typically has more sauce and is typically on top of the cheese as it has to cook longer like a Chicago style, it typically doesn't have butter in the dough, the outer crust is minimal as sauce and toppings go all the way out. It isn't what is referred to as Sicilian style but many people would think it is similar.

Detroit pizza is usually square or ver often found to be rectangular, it is a thicker crust than NY style but not as thick as Chicago style, it typically has more sauce and is typically on top of the cheese as it has to cook longer like a Chicago style, it typically doesn't have butter in the dough, the outer crust is minimal as sauce and toppings go all the way out. It isn't what is referred to as Sicilian style but many people would think it is similar.
Watched a show on the Food Network the other day which rated the top 5 pizza joints across the country. One of them was a pizza shop in Texas that did the Detroit pizza.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/to...s/te-0100h-lifts-/best-pizza.vid-0241653.html

Reactions: va87eer
Watched a show on the Food Network the other day which rated the top 5 pizza joints across the country. One of them was a pizza shop in Texas that did the Detroit pizza.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/to...s/te-0100h-lifts-/best-pizza.vid-0241653.html
Thanks for posting. I had watched that on Food Network a year or so ago but watching again, there are some contradictions with what I posted. My post was basically parroting another TV show on pizza (I think PBS program) and a pizza parlor owner explaining what makes his pizza "Detroit style". So, I am guessing the butter in the crust and the amount of sauce is not necessarily uniformed to all. I am guessing being square or rectangle, having toppings all the way to the edge and the sauce being on top is. I don't know. What I have found interesting, one of my friends that is in the restaurant business and is from Detroit claims the idea of "Detroit style" is relatively new and it is spawning up in cities outside of Detroit as a mostly marketing ploy. All I know is I love pizza and I would love to try this new pizza place in Morgantown.

Thanks for posting. I had watched that on Food Network a year or so ago but watching again, there are some contradictions with what I posted. My post was basically parroting another TV show on pizza (I think PBS program) and a pizza parlor owner explaining what makes his pizza "Detroit style". So, I am guessing the butter in the crust and the amount of sauce is not necessarily uniformed to all. I am guessing being square or rectangle, having toppings all the way to the edge and the sauce being on top is. I don't know. What I have found interesting, one of my friends that is in the restaurant business and is from Detroit claims the idea of "Detroit style" is relatively new and it is spawning up in cities outside of Detroit as a mostly marketing ploy. All I know is I love pizza and I would love to try this new pizza place in Morgantown.
I'm a thin crust guy....when in Motown I go to Pizza Al's.

Reactions: Vernon
Had it for dinner this evening- damn fine pan style pizza.

tIVSWqi.jpg

Looks pretty good, I'll be on Morgantown weekend of the 11th, might have to give it a try.

Reactions: va87eer
The DA Eats: Detroit-style pizza at Lefty’s Place, a different pizzeria and pub

Link: http://www.thedaonline.com/arts_and...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

Final Impressions

Lefty’s Place surprised us. It breaks the mold of other downtown pizza restaurants and could easily become Morgantown’s go-to casual date night or hangout pizza joint. You pay for quality at Lefty’s, but its prices don’t break the bank.

Our recommendation? Try the fries. You won’t be disappointed.

Find more photos, interviews and impressions of Lefty’s Place at The DA Eats, thedaeats.wordpress.com

Lefty's received their alcohol license so they now have beer and wine.

Reactions: Vernon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT