ADVERTISEMENT

New coach and recruiting.

eers-to-ya

Senior
Jun 8, 2008
atwater ohio
I'm not necessarily advocating for Luke Fickel, but have been thinking. The five states that surround WV have a combined population of 42.5 million.. WV used to do pretty well when we recruited OH, PA, MD, VA and DC. They also reached out often to NY and NJ.Had big, strong linemen and hard running backs. Nothing wrong with skill players from anywhere. Nothing wrong with FL speed. It just seems to me that WV has neglected the tougher side of football since Nehlen retired. I would assume that Fickel would have many connections throughout OH and KY. With a couple of competent assistants covering those other areas I don't see why WV couldn't field some strong teams and begin playing the kind of ball control offense and stout defense they (and the old Big 12) used to play. Maybe WV could lead the way for the B12 returning to the dominant conference it used to be. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke. I'm just a fan and probably the least football savvy person on this board. I've just never understood the reasoning that WV can't recruit well, particularly because of location. Clemson does it. Is Morgantown really more remote than Clemson? That said, whoever the new coach is, I would like to see those areas recruited more. WV has obviously recruited some great players in the past 20 years from all over the country, I just think it would be easier to get a kid from the surrounding states to commit than one from far away.

South Carolina probably produces more 4 and 5 star kids....it’s surprising to me how many fans want the in state wv kids but how the big time wv kids don’t want WVU .... we have one of the best recruits in the country probably going to Tennessee in our own back yard another to Ohio State.

I'm not necessarily advocating for Luke Fickel, but have been thinking. The five states that surround WV have a combined population of 42.5 million.. WV used to do pretty well when we recruited OH, PA, MD, VA and DC. They also reached out often to NY and NJ.Had big, strong linemen and hard running backs. Nothing wrong with skill players from anywhere. Nothing wrong with FL speed. It just seems to me that WV has neglected the tougher side of football since Nehlen retired. I would assume that Fickel would have many connections throughout OH and KY. With a couple of competent assistants covering those other areas I don't see why WV couldn't field some strong teams and begin playing the kind of ball control offense and stout defense they (and the old Big 12) used to play. Maybe WV could lead the way for the B12 returning to the dominant conference it used to be. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke. I'm just a fan and probably the least football savvy person on this board. I've just never understood the reasoning that WV can't recruit well, particularly because of location. Clemson does it. Is Morgantown really more remote than Clemson? That said, whoever the new coach is, I would like to see those areas recruited more. WV has obviously recruited some great players in the past 20 years from all over the country, I just think it would be easier to get a kid from the surrounding states to commit than one from far away.

it's about the lack of instate talent, we don't have it. If we had 6 5 stars come to Wva from instate
Every year we would be a consistent top 10 team. We have great fans, tradition, pepperoni rolls
Moonshine, rivers, mountains, country roads, for the most part great places to live!
Small population means fewer D1 players. The lack of High School talent DIRECTLY effects our program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT