ADVERTISEMENT

Net Neutrality

DRB5oc7U8AAoJyv.jpg

Reactions: wvu2007
Will this just change with each POTUS? If so, the actual vote seems like just a formality. Make it an issue in the POTUS election and let people vote accordingly and then after the POTUS election assume whoever won will have the FCC vote the way they want.

Will this just change with each POTUS? If so, the actual vote seems like just a formality. Make it an issue in the POTUS election and let people vote accordingly and then after the POTUS election assume whoever won will have the FCC vote the way they want.

I don't believe the current libs will last another 7 years of Trump...

stupid-ass libs cut Pai's speech short by pulling a fire alarm...

imbeciles...

I’m not happy about it

Too early to tell what this may mean for consumers.

On one hand I like that idea that government is not going to have total control over the internet, and that the free market can actually be free when it comes to internet. However I do worry that we will see data throttling, pricing tiers, or even worse, private corporate censorship.

It's not a black and white issue by any means.

Reactions: Boomboom521

On one hand I like that idea that government is not going to have total control over the internet, and that the free market can actually be free when it comes to internet. However I do worry that we will see data throttling, pricing tiers, or even worse, private corporate censorship.

I just can’t see a scenario where the big ISP (like Spectrum in my area) don’t push streaming services to pay more so their playability doesn’t fall off the table.....and that cost passed off to me. Maybe I’m wrong though.

It's not too early. It means the ISPs can charge extra for Netflix and Hulu, which those costs get passed on to you and I. They can allow full speed to access any of their companies and subsisidiaries and they can throttle access to competitors' web sites.

That "government control" you mention was actually just the opposite. Net Neutrality was about no one speeding up or slowing down access to certain sites or charging extra. It was about ensuring access to any site with unthrottled speeds and no extra charges.

Reactions: WVUBRU
If ISP s are set and ready to roll out the billing and monitoring of this type of selective speed allowance....maybe DC really is a racket. That was a joke, of course it is, but I’m hoping my bills don’t see this change for a long time.

It's not too early. It means the ISPs can charge extra for Netflix and Hulu, which those costs get passed on to you and I. They can allow full speed to access any of their companies and subsisidiaries and they can throttle access to competitors' web sites.

That "government control" you mention was actually just the opposite. Net Neutrality was about no one speeding up or slowing down access to certain sites or charging extra. It was about ensuring access to any site with unthrottled speeds and no extra charges.

success_baby.jpg

It's not as black and white as you want to make it.

If ISP s are set and ready to roll out the billing and monitoring of this type of selective speed allowance....maybe DC really is a racket. That was a joke, of course it is, but I’m hoping my bills don’t see this change for a long time.

Just as our bills constantly go up for TV, the same is very possible for Internet as well. Ultimately Comcast should have the right to charge what they wish for their services, whether we like it or not. Also, the FCC should not be in the business of telling internet providers what they can and can not provide on their private systems, as the internet is not like public airwaves, where a limited number of frequencies exist.

The government should be the only entity allowed to add costs to products that are then passed onto customers.

The same people who died when we pulled out of the Paris Accords will be forced to die again.

Reactions: wvu2007
It's not as black and white as you want to make it.

Just as our bills constantly go up for TV, the same is very possible for Internet as well. Ultimately Comcast should have the right to charge what they wish for their services, whether we like it or not. Also, the FCC should not be in the business of telling internet providers what they can and can not provide on their private systems, as the internet is not like public airwaves, where a limited number of frequencies exist.

Weren't you one of the posters bragging about cutting the cable? Maybe not. Anyway, for all of you who have "cut the cable" and have gone to these innovative companies who have developed work arounds and provide an alternative, that either goes away or gets priced out of competition if your internet provider is also a cable provider.

I seriously don't understand the rationale of some of you Republicans on here. You claim you are about less interference and open competition but net neutrality eliminates competition and free enterprise. It deters from these companies who have been innovative in providing alternatives. A survey was done and showed nearly 75 per cent of Republicans favored net neutrality and 87 per cent of all Americans favor net neutrality.

Weren't you one of the posters bragging about cutting the cable? Maybe not. Anyway, for all of you who have "cut the cable" and have gone to these innovative companies who have developed work arounds and provide an alternative, that either goes away or gets priced out of competition if your internet provider is also a cable provider.

I seriously don't understand the rationale of some of you Republicans on here. You claim you are about less interference and open competition but net neutrality eliminates competition and free enterprise. It deters from these companies who have been innovative in providing alternatives. A survey was done and showed nearly 75 per cent of Republicans favored net neutrality and 87 per cent of all Americans favor net neutrality.
Please tell me where anything that our government has regulated that it has turned out better? It never does and you ignore reality.

Please tell me where anything that our government has regulated that it has turned out better? It never does and you ignore reality.

Eliminating net neutrality is like telling your electric utility provider they can charge you whatever they want since they have a monopoly. There isn't open competition among your utility providers.

Eliminating net neutrality is like telling your electric utility provider they can charge you whatever they want since they have a monopoly. There isn't open competition among your utility providers.
There was nothing about net neutrality that told your provider they couldn't charge what they wanted.

There was nothing about net neutrality that told your provider they couldn't charge what they wanted.

Just give us good examples where our government has done a job of regulation that doesn't end up costing more in the long run.

Just give us good examples where our government has done a job of regulation that doesn't end up costing more in the long run.

Let me give you an example of a regulation trump got rid of a few days ago. Airlines are no longer required to disclose to you up front the amount of your baggage fee.

You really should stick to the point rather than challenging me to give you examples of things which really aren't relevant to the discussion.

Let me give you an example of a regulation trump got rid of a few days ago. Airlines are no longer required to disclose to you up front the amount of your baggage fee.

You really should stick to the point rather than challenging me to give you examples of things which really aren't relevant to the discussion.
Why should the govt require that an airline disclose a fee to me? I would ask what the fee is and if they didnt tell me I would fly with someone else.

No, I wasn't bragging about cutting the cable, still on the cable. However, people are cutting the cable because of competition and innovation. Because companies like Comcast, Time Warner, etc. have made the Cable TV pricing so outrageous to some that cutting the cable is a great cost effective alternative. The same could eventually happen with internet access. The big companies like Comcast screw with consumers too much, consumers will look for other options.

Net neutrality actually stifles competition and free enterprise, and again, the FCC should not be regulating the Internet. Want "net neutrality", go to Congress... pass a law.

Reactions: COOL MAN and dave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT