ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Brown and AD Shane Lyons warned us

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
This would take time...

WVU athletic director Shane Lyons was quick to temper expectations for the Mountaineers football team in 2019.

“We have to be a bit realistic here,” Lyons said. “We lost five guys to the NFL Draft. Several key players on the offensive side of the ball.”

The Mountaineers are replacing quarterback Will Grier, left tackle Yodny Cajuste, tight end Trevon Wesco and wide receivers Gary Jennings and David Sills.

Lyons was blunt in addressing the challenges facing Neal Brown in his first year as head coach.

The biggest name among the returning defensive players was safety Kenny Robinson, but the all-Big 12 selection left the school due to a reported academic violation.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/06/20/shane-lyons-asks-fans-to-be-realistic-wvu-football-2019/

“We’re young, very inexperienced,” Brown said. “What we look like in the fall, I’m not sure of. I’m really not. We’ve only had 15 practices. But I do like our guys. They’re hungry and very humble. It’s going to be a fun group.”

According to college football numbers analyst Phil Steele, the Mountaineers are 119th nationally in overall returning experience.

“We’re going to be a young football team and I think our fan base understands that and there’s going to be some patience.”

(apparently some trolls on this board do not understand anything)

“We’re always going to try to build our team through high school football recruiting,” Brown said. “That’s how you build your foundation. I think it’s important to have guys in your program for four or five years.

(What a concept. Build through high school football recruiting)

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/07/16/neal-brown-preaches-patience-in-first-big-12-media-day-appearance/

This would take time...

WVU athletic director Shane Lyons was quick to temper expectations for the Mountaineers football team in 2019.

“We have to be a bit realistic here,” Lyons said. “We lost five guys to the NFL Draft. Several key players on the offensive side of the ball.”

The Mountaineers are replacing quarterback Will Grier, left tackle Yodny Cajuste, tight end Trevon Wesco and wide receivers Gary Jennings and David Sills.

Lyons was blunt in addressing the challenges facing Neal Brown in his first year as head coach.

The biggest name among the returning defensive players was safety Kenny Robinson, but the all-Big 12 selection left the school due to a reported academic violation.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/06/20/shane-lyons-asks-fans-to-be-realistic-wvu-football-2019/

“We’re young, very inexperienced,” Brown said. “What we look like in the fall, I’m not sure of. I’m really not. We’ve only had 15 practices. But I do like our guys. They’re hungry and very humble. It’s going to be a fun group.”

According to college football numbers analyst Phil Steele, the Mountaineers are 119th nationally in overall returning experience.

“We’re going to be a young football team and I think our fan base understands that and there’s going to be some patience.”

(apparently some trolls on this board do not understand anything)

“We’re always going to try to build our team through high school football recruiting,” Brown said. “That’s how you build your foundation. I think it’s important to have guys in your program for four or five years.

(What a concept. Build through high school football recruiting)

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/07/16/neal-brown-preaches-patience-in-first-big-12-media-day-appearance/

It is possible we have won all of the games we are going to this year, but if KState, Taco Tech and TCU continue their current ways, who knows. We are likely to lose to Oklahoma, but after that we have 5 games that are all winnable on the right game day.

Some trolls spent 8 years claiming anyone could step in and immediately do better than the previous coach.

Brown came in, dumped or chased off 10 players- mostly starters from a team in contention of the BIG 12 championship up until the final game of last season.

The offense with many of the same players
Was top ten.

The RB corps was widely touted as the best returning groupin the conference.

Truth is every school at WVUs level loses some players every year to NFL rosters and or graduation. They dont all fall completely off the map into the dregs of college football.

Brown and co arent getting the job done and nothing at this point leads one to believe in some magical turnaround.

They hated the previous coach for delivering the second most wins in WVU history against the toughest ever schedules and now want a pass for a coach that has WVU oerforming very close to the bottom of cfb in many categories.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
It is possible we have won all of the games we are going to this year, but if KState, Taco Tech and TCU continue their current ways, who knows. We are likely to lose to Oklahoma, but after that we have 5 games that are all winnable on the right game day.

Nothing being witnessed on the field would indicate that WVU is going to have anymore wins.

Baylor playing great.

Oklahoma playing great.

Texas Tech very good of late narrowly losing to Baylor and crushing OK State.

OSU lost close to UT and got beat at an improving TT, but have otherwise looked good all season.

K State and TCU are the best bets for another couple of wins but have shown they arent pushovers in all aspects of the game like WVU.

Some trolls spent 8 years claiming anyone could step in and immediately do better than the previous coach.

Brown came in, dumped or chased off 10 players- mostly starters from a team in contention of the BIG 12 championship up until the final game of last season.

Was top ten.

Truth is every school at WVUs level loses some players every year to NFL rosters and or graduation. They dont all fall completely off the map into the dregs of college football.

Brown and co arent getting the job done and nothing at this point leads one to believe in some magical turnaround.

They hated the previous coach for delivering the second most wins in WVU history against the toughest ever schedules and now want a pass for a coach that has WVU oerforming very close to the bottom of cfb in many categories.
Give it up, Dana.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Nothing being witnessed on the field would indicate that WVU is going to have anymore wins.

Baylor playing great.

Oklahoma playing great.

Texas Tech very good of late narrowly losing to Baylor and crushing OK State.

OSU lost close to UT and got beat at an improving TT, but have otherwise looked good all season.

K State and TCU are the best bets for another couple of wins but have shown they arent pushovers in all aspects of the game like WVU.

Did Neal Brown screw your wife?

Was top ten.

Yada! Yada! Yada! I've been gone for a month and you're still on the same old soapbox. Give it a rest.

So after you take out the players who, the school, not the athletic department, caught cheating on exams. Add the 18 seniors who graduated. Please name the ten players he ran off.

You are so wrong. Period.
You’ve been exposed as wrong over and over about the “10 players” nonsense. Yet you keep posting that. why? Because you are biased, you have an agenda and you hate our coach. We get it. But don’t lie.
As for Dana. Who cares. He’s gone. He’s doing worse this year than the coach you hate. Dana has been called out by his players. His current team is a disaster and he inherited the best qb in their league. The Offensive Lineman who just tweeted the interaction with Dana is yet another confirmation. The guy went 0-3 last 3 games 2’years in a row here. He was 1-5 in big 12 in Bowl games. He left. He had a contract and chose to leave. The transfer qb he last brought in at wvu was who played today and in that gem of a bowl game against Cuse. Did he outplay Kendall?
Go get on the Htown Drunk bus.

Neal Brown was handed a rebuilding project. He’s 6 games in. Nearly every prognosticator predicted a rebuilding season. We are rebuilding.

Was top ten.

This year, everything runs through the offensive line.

And the results speak for themselves.

I saw our center get shoved 5 yards straight back into the RB and QB. The play never had a chance. NEVER.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
This year, everything runs through the offensive line.

And the results speak for themselves.

I saw our center get shoved 5 yards straight back into the RB and QB. The play never had a chance. NEVER.

And yet, the next play he'd look pretty good.

That's where we are now, just consistently inconsistent. Not a cause for concern right now.

Next year, a different story.

Right now, I'm liking the progress we are making, just not the results. We seem to be a key player short here and there and teams are taking advantage of that. Hopefully, with some age and experience, those will get fixed and the results get better.

Gotta build that depth and experience. Take your lumps now along the way. Trust the climb.

The team has had one good performance to date.

Where is the progress?

Some just hate Holgorsen so wont accept their savior isnt that

The struggles this year are a good thing. The attrition is a good thing. The "me first" guys...the "who needs classes"..."rules are for others"...and the "I,m a star" guys will be gone and the young recruits will get reps. Sign a good high school class or two and things will have turned and the culture will finally have moved on from toxic, clueless, I need a coke DH.

Everyone knew 2019 was going to be a rebuilding year. Dana knew it as well that's why he got out town to avoid a possible dismissal of his services at the end of this season. We have played a ton of Freshman this season. There were as many as 5 playing on defense yesterday at various times during the game. This will bode well in the future but it won't win you many games in the present. Sam James arguably are best receiver is a Freshman. The fact we have played so many freshman indicates that we don't have much depth. That's not Browns fault its what he inherited. Give him a few years to build up depth and then judge the results. The forgotten fact is we were in the last 2 games until the 4th quarter but ran out of gas. Dana's cheerleader squad need to stop blaming brown for having a bare cupboard.

I can see a 4-8 record but even that is better than I expected before the season. It's a hard league and we lost a ton from 2018. We were 119th in returning experience according to Phil Steele. Ouch!

“We’re always going to try to build our team through high school football recruiting,” Brown said. “That’s how you build your foundation. I think it’s important to have guys in your program for four or five years."

This is how you do it. JUCOs are band aids and band aids, while necessary now and then, should be the exception rather than the rule. Except for the occasional really good recruit, the younger guys should developing rather than playing. Right now, the younger guys are playing because we have no other choice, but if you build your program correctly then you're never in a position where you have no choice but to play five true freshmen on defense. I have no idea who played for Troy last year but I bet if you look at it, few if any true freshmen were playing (in what was Brown's 4th year there).

Think of yourself at age 18. Then think of yourself at age 22. Quite a difference, huh? So older is better and longer in your system is better and the way to accomplish both those things is to recruit guys out of high school and then develop them over the years. That's the way Dandy Don Nehlen did it and now the road past the stadium is named after him.

No program worth a shit, with any respect for itself, its fans or competition, in general, would ask the entire senior class to redshirt, essentially tanking the season in hopes of a better tomorrow. Our farming rivals in Blacksburg have every reason to do so but even they did not as it's beneath the accepted norms of bigtime college football. I appreciate the job that Dana did while he was here but I'm glad he's gone. Most on this board probably feel the same way with a few (Buckaineer) who just like to lob shit from the cheap seats.

Reactions: Euell
I just look at the 2018 Troy roster and here is what I found about the guys that were true freshmen in 2018.

For 2 it didn't say anything.

14 redshirted (which means some of them played a little, but not too much).

3 played as a reserve or on special teams.

1 played a lot.

That's the way you do it. If you recruit a few exceptional freshmen then play them, but otherwise let them grow and mature and develop. Then play them in the next couple years while the following crop of true freshmen are growing and developing.

ETA: If you ignore those two for whom it didn't say anything and we don't know about, the number of true freshmen that played a lot on defense for WVU yesterday is larger than the number of true freshmen at Troy that did not redshirt in 2018.

First its important to deal with FACTS.

FACTS aren't lobbing sh!t even though some of you obviously pay too much attention to the current corrupt entities in the white house.

Students academic records are PRIVATE. They cannot by law be released publicly, so when people make claims about student athletes being released for poor academic performance they are MAKING IT UP. Even in the article above ONLY ONE of the 10 people pushed out--many of whom would be starters now, is allegedly due to academics, and again, based on what exactly? Who said that, where did these reports come from?

But in the end athletes that would have contributed significantly were pushed out, and now because the coaching staff is doing so poorly, people are pretending this didn't happen. It did. So they try to make up reasons to justify why it happened. But its just made up b.s. with 0 basis.

What we do know is:

under Brown WVU is 114 out of 130 teams in total offense

under Brown WVU is 95 out of 130 teams in total defense

This is not going to win games no matter what the DH haters lie and whine about, and that is all that matters in the end.

Its not going to win games this year or next year.

Its bad all around coaching.

Get exposed, refuse to acknowledge it, repeat tired baseless claims.
Thumbs up, little fella.

Refuse to acknowledge what exactly?

Repeat "baseless" claims?

Brown came in and right away 9 players mostly starters left. Just this past week so did another. What is "baseless" about that? It's FACT. You just don't like it or want to admit it --yet most of you were bashing Holgorsen for similar but less destructive happenings whenever someone left for YEARS.

What is "baseless" is that Brown was left with a depleted roster. He came in with a team that just competed for a BIG 12 championship and immediately coached them DOWN.

He evaluated and picked a QB not quite ready for prime time.

Has nothing to do with anyone else but him. You just don't want to admit it, but the RECORD speaks volumes.

A "rebuilding" year? Holgorsen would have delivered at least 7 wins with the same players and WVU would not be in the bottom of statistical categories.

Bad coaching is why WVU is losing so badly in so many games this year. They've only had one solid performance to date. But WVU returned the top RB corps, along with many solid players on offense and defense. Brown pushed 10 players, mostly starters out, and then people pretended those players never existed.

The biggest problem to date has been Brown's personally evaluated and picked QB who threw near record high picks this season in multiple games, not anyone from the previous regime.

Poor defensive, special teams and offensive coaching are responsible for the woes the team is facing.

You can see the rigidness of WVUs players in the second half yesterday. Uninspired, and robotic like they are trying to walk through a textbook rather than skilled players executing athletic plays

That is on this coaching staff.

I believe it was suggested that academic fraud was committed or something akin to. If it was performance-related, those players would have had multiple summer sessions to raise their GPA or whatnot so if this truly was academic in nature, the fraud makes more sense especially since those penalties would not follow the student-athlete to their new school. Whatever the case Buckaineer, you are the living, breathing embodiment of a textbook contrarian so if you continue to post knee-jerk, reactionary garbage with no thought of the future or building something from the ground up, Vernon thanks you for the clickbait.

Prairie View A&M and North Texas mean what to Dana?

Holgorsen is GONE. Doesn't coach WVU anymore. You helped push him out despite his second most wins ever for WVU.

Your coach BROWN is sucking it up--you need to start dealing with that instead of resting your hope on lies and smearing of Dana Holgorsen. DH may never win another game although he probably will at Houston.

BROWN (hint--he is the coach responsible for the current record of 3-3 at WVU) may never win another game for WVU that matters--and HE is the problem WVU faces.

I believe it was suggested that academic fraud was committed or something akin to. If it was performance-related, those players would have had multiple summer sessions to raise their GPA or whatnot so if this truly was academic in nature, the fraud makes more sense especially since those penalties would not follow the student-athlete to their new school. Whatever the case Buckaineer, you are the living, breathing embodiment of a textbook contrarian so if you continue to post knee-jerk, reactionary garbage with no thought of the future or building something from the ground up, Vernon thanks you for the clickbait.

Academic fraud is a BASELESS allegation. If true WVU would be under NCAA investigation for that.

I'm a contrarian? You and the other hypocrites on this board were crying and screaming about the previous coach for 8 years, pretending he was guilty of what the current coach is even when DH won 7 games or even10.

Now, you don't want to address the obvious coaching problems and instead are trying to blame a coach who is gone.

DH didn't coach WVU to the current low offensive or defensive position--BROWN did. Doesn't matter if you like DH or not, he had WVU playing at a much higher level and you hypocrites told those of us who said "hold on, perhaps things aren't really as bad as you are painting them when you look at facts instead of emotion"--you told us "anyone can step in and immediately do better".

Is that what is happening? of course not. WVU is performing at an extreme low level compared to what should be.

Holgorsen is GONE. Doesn't coach WVU anymore. You helped push him out despite his second most wins ever for WVU.

Your coach BROWN is sucking it up--you need to start dealing with that instead of resting your hope on lies and smearing of Dana Holgorsen. DH may never win another game although he probably will at Houston.

BROWN (hint--he is the coach responsible for the current record of 3-3 at WVU) may never win another game for WVU that matters--and HE is the problem WVU faces.
Last time I checked, Dana left of his own accord. Nobody forced him out. Stop with the lies.

Academic fraud is a BASELESS allegation. If true WVU would be under NCAA investigation for that.

I'm a contrarian? You and the other hypocrites on this board were crying and screaming about the previous coach for 8 years, pretending he was guilty of what the current coach is even when DH won 7 games or even10.

Now, you don't want to address the obvious coaching problems and instead are trying to blame a coach who is gone.

DH didn't coach WVU to the current low offensive or defensive position--BROWN did. Doesn't matter if you like DH or not, he had WVU playing at a much higher level and you hypocrites told those of us who said "hold on, perhaps things aren't really as bad as you are painting them when you look at facts instead of emotion"--you told us "anyone can step in and immediately do better".

Is that what is happening? of course not. WVU is performing at an extreme low level compared to what should be.

If Holgorsen is so good, why isn't he winning in Houston?

He inherited a team that went 8-5 last year. A team with P-5 money and a much weaker schedule than what Brown has to scheme against every week? A team with a dark-horse Heisman candidate at QB? A team with many returning starters yet today stands with only wins against two nobodies-Prairie View and North Texas State and has lost every conference game its played?

Again, with his expert level of coaching, with all the greatness in your eyes he has performed here, why isn't he winning in Houston?

Last time I checked, Dana left of his own accord. Nobody forced him out. Stop with the lies.

Wrong you dummy. He was forced out because Rootmaster, Allen, and apparently you and I said mean things about him on the Rivals message board.

He got mad and took his ball and went home to Houston, where the wins will come so much easier and the fans are nicer. Buck's tears weren't enough to convince him to stay.

Oh poor us, how will WVU ever recover from the loss of our football savior?

Maybe if you would have stopped stalking him he wouldn't have left.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Wrong you dummy. He was forced out because Rootmaster, Allen, and apparently you and I said mean things about him on the Rivals message board.

He got mad and took his ball and went home to Houston, where the wins will come so much easier and the fans are nicer. Buck's tears weren't enough to convince him to stay.

Oh poor us, how will WVU ever recover from the loss of our football savior?
Actually, DH was sick of Bucky Boy stalking him. He feared for his life and decided to get the hell out of Dodge.

This first post is dead on. This team, or better yet coaching staff inherited not only major depth issues, but huge holes to begin with, safety, wide receiver and lets be honest omg the o line. And we hung with #11 all day. What you're seeing is people who dont get it and think all these good players just show up every year, or on this board mostly assholes from texa$$ or dickrod real relatives taking the opportunity to run their mouths here because they're not wanted where they come from. I for one honestly believe Brown can be for a lack of a better word a poor mans dabo, and say what you want about him, if his program is Nike I'm fine being Reebok.
Only issue I've had is I'm fine with having your QBs back, hes pretty much what we knew we were getting and probably why qb was one of the first positions this staff addressed, I just didnt think it was great putting all the blame on the young receivers instead when they've done well for the most part. But we'll be not just ok but much better than ok and unlike Texa$$ wont be turning the corner for 15 years, the Souths very own Rutgers. Them and Tech their fans all know Jimbo is going to take that state over so their fans look for somewhere else to feel good about themselves, unlike them we will get there and will never be #4 in any state let alone our own

Actually, DH was sick of Bucky Boy stalking him. He feared for his life and decided to get the hell out of Dodge.

Oh no!

I'm sorry for calling you dummy? Thanks for setting me straight.

You aren't going to run off to another board like our last great coach did I hope?

You are a contrarian...poll the board if you don't think so.

I don't agree. Intellectually dishonest and football ignorant I can get behind more than being a contrarian. A contrarian could see the problem but just not agree with the solution.

Buck can't see the problem or the solution except those he creates in his own limited mind.

Holgorsen is GONE. Doesn't coach WVU anymore. Holgorsen is GONE. Doesn't coach WVU anymore. You helped push him out despite his second most wins ever for WVU.

Take your own advice and shut up about him. Also second most in losses.

Poll a bunch of hypocritical dishonest trolls LOL!

I dont need to do that, everyone can see you for the trolls you are.

I am discussing FACTS about the current dire situation of WVU football due to the current staff and some idiots like you are talking about ME.

If you arent talking about me, you are revisiting ignorant lies about the previous coach to excuse away the failures of Brown while still ignoring Holgorsen oroduced the second most wins ever for WVU against the toughest schedules ever faced.

Everyone can see that clear as day.

Take your own advice and shut up about him. Also second most in losses.

You take your own advice and no one will have to correct your lies.

Wins matter and Holgorsen produced those against the toughest schedules while you claimed anyone could step in a nd immediately do better.

You were wrong and now your ego wont allow you to shut up about DH and admit it even as brown drives WVU into the toilet.

If Holgorsen is so good, why isn't he winning in Houston?

He inherited a team that went 8-5 last year. A team with P-5 money and a much weaker schedule than what Brown has to scheme against every week? A team with a dark-horse Heisman candidate at QB? A team with many returning starters yet today stands with only wins against two nobodies-Prairie View and North Texas State and has lost every conference game its played?

Again, with his expert level of coaching, with all the greatness in your eyes he has performed here, why isn't he winning in Houston?

Houston is not WVU.

At WVU Holgorsen won against the toughest schedules ever played at the second winningest clip any coach ever at the school did.

Now, because brown is faltering in every aspect of the game you ignoramous trolls who bashed DH day and night dont want to admit how wrong you were about the job DH did- so you expect everyone to sit back and praise a disastrous season with no improvement in sight.

Or worse, blame the previous coach who would most certainly have brought in at least 7 victories.

I admire fans that go a bit crazy in their fandom, but yours is hard to figure out and frankly, you are coming across a bit psychotic with the way you go on and the manner in which you speak to other posters here. You have made your point enough that if never post your thoughts again, we will know what it is long into the future.

Were I the admin here I would have a chat with you and try to nudge you into a more community minded interaction and if you failed to listen, I would end your access. If for no other reason than your own mental well-being. You are coming across mentally imbalanced.

I do not like you or fans like you. You are unworthy of rational debate because you are never rational. You think a discussion is a win-lose scenario when it is merely a sharing of viewpoints. You have lost your way. But, as a fellow human-being, I think it would be in your best interest to sign up to the Houston board as you come across much more as a Holgorsen fan than even the most shallow Mountaineer.

ADVERTISEMENT