ADVERTISEMENT

Navy retired Keenan Reynolds #19

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
And WVU can't or won't retire Howley's or White's or any other WVU great who deserves it. And only 3 other Navy players have had their number retired including Staubach so they don't just retire anyone who has a good season.

It's time for WVU to make a change in requirements or at least honor past great players.

Former players, alum, donors, fans ect should demand a change!

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Retiring numbers in college is dumb. You already have players wearing duplicate #'s because the rosters are so large.

Find another way to honor them.

Considering the number of Naval and Marine Corps Officers who have died in combat in service that also played football at the Naval Academy, I'm surprised Annapolis has retired any number, including Staubach, who is probably the most well known and popular Naval Academy Graduate ever that played football. Just me but one of the traditions I like about the Academies is no names on jerseys or individual recognition. Surprised to hear they retire any numbers.

Btw. Go Army Beat Navy!

As for retiring Howley's or White's number at WVU, to me I have no real reaction either way but both are ineligible under WVU's rules. Also Of the 2 people who have had their football numbers retired, only 1 are they really sure they have the correct number. Ira Rodgers is kind of speculation since he played about a century ago and there is 1 photo with a number which may or may not even be Ira Rodgers. It is really speculation and a case of "yeah he looks like he wore 21, retire it!"

And the requirements for jersey retiring at WVU are listed as HOF at both college and pro/Olympic level or Extroidinary accomplishments and merit (think Heisman) and live an exemplary life outside the game. You have to change requirements if you want want those 2 guys in.

for Pat White, I believe he's even ineligible for the College HOF cause I believe they require a player to be a consensus or Major First Team All American for enshrinement. Not my rules or saying I agree with it, but I think that's the case. Also they require 10 year wait from the players last collegiate game. He not even eligible yet.

Btw2. Howley isn't in the pro HOF.

this is why HOFs in general are a big joke and more political than congress.

Considering the number of Naval and Marine Corps Officers who have died in combat in service that also played football at the Naval Academy, I'm surprised Annapolis has retired any number, including Staubach, who is probably the most well known and popular Naval Academy Graduate ever that played football. Just me but one of the traditions I like about the Academies is no names on jerseys or individual recognition. Surprised to hear they retire any numbers.

Btw. Go Army Beat Navy!

Navy Army and Air Force football are not the actual military. Yes, the players in the programs attend a military school and all will serve for the US military, but you cant act like they shouldn't honor their greats because of all of the soldiers who die in war. I fail to see any correlation. Also, the military academies have had names on jerseys before, Navy currently does and has done so for a long time. I'm sure they would like to give players individual recognition, they just rarely get next level athletes who stand out for obvious reasons and have to play a style that doesn't isolate individual players and allows for weaknesses to be masked, they (particularly Navy) do a great job playing that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT