ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE My thoughts and observations on June 10 camp

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--Apologize for this being a little later, but have some personal family issues going on and was tending to those after the camp ended today.

--Columbus (Oh.) Marion Franklin 2025 cornerback Dawayne Galloway was back on campus after taking an official visit earlier this month to support his teammates but make no mistake about it the coaching staff was all over him. Secondary coach ShaDon Brown and various others were showing Galloway a ton of attention and while these things are hard to predict I did hear that the Mountaineers are in this race perhaps more than some would like to believe.

--West Virginia offered several international players such as 2026 lineman Malek Jaradat and 2026 tight end Maximilian Tillfeldt Retsler but I didn't get a look at them today as they worked out for the coaches prior to the camp. The same can be said for Gainesville (Fla.) Buchholz 2026 quarterback Trace Johnson.

--Still this was probably overall the most talented group of the three camps this summer and there was a lot of competition all around. It also was the biggest.

--Pittsburgh (Pa.) Aliquippa 2026 linebacker Daiveon Taylor looks to be around 215-pounds at this point and has really put on some good weight. He moves really well and it's easy to see why the coaching staff was all over him early. I think he has the size that by the time he graduates is going to have a real chance to play early in his career.

---The no-brainer offer today goes to Pittsburgh (Pa.) Central Catholic 2027 athlete Sa'Nir Brooks. Not only did he run two 40-yard dashes under 4.5, but performed well throughout the day. Physically he just stands out especially for a 2027 kid and he is slotted at running back.

--Really liked the game of 2027 wide receiver Charles Alexander who just continued to make plays during the one-on-one portion. He made a number of nice catches and seemed to get open.

--West Virginia also offered three 2028 kids in twins Adrian and Amiir Woodward who we featured in our updates. They both play physical football and really looked good considering a lot of their competition was much older than they were. Both have solid size at this stage and while West Virginia was first they won't be last. Both were excited about the offer. The other was Irvington (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep 2028 defensive back Phoenix Evans who was impressive in his own right.

--Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic 2028 pass rusher Jackson Vaughn looked really good at times today and I honestly couldn't believe he was a 2028 kid with his size. He is going to be a monster.

--I didn't get to watch one-on-ones with the big men but liked the look at play of 2026 offensive lineman Justyn Lyles during positional work. He is athletic and has a solid frame to build up on.

--I've been doing this a while but one of the things that has been true is when it comes to the fastest 40-yard dash times almost all of them have come from in-state players. Today's one that stood out was Wahama's 2025 running back Connor Lambert who was at 4.37 on one attempt.

--Jupiter Christian (Fla.) 2027 quarterback Champ Smith had some really nice throws today and flashed a strong arm with touch. He obviously has a ways to go with his recruitment and development but he stood out to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News