ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ My quest for a legit indoor grill -- Ninja Foodi Pro Grill is the real deal

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
The family has a condo at the beach and that means no 'real' grills on the balcony. So for the last several years I've been in search of the best indoor grill. I've tried many and some are not that bad but of course they never really give you anything close to a gas or charcoal grill. While doing some research recently I found the Ninja Foodi Pro Grill (https://amzn.to/2LV5POo) and the reviews were ridiculously good. We ordered one and we're just now starting to really put it through some tests. Bottom line is this thing outperforms anything else I've tested and it's not even close. It can grill, roast, air fry, bake and dehydrate.

The key to this grill, and yes it deserves that title, is the temperature. It can reach 550F and since the air inside is circulating at that temp you get real grill flavor and even grill marks. Most food doesn't need a flip during cooking because of the air flow.

So I'm not here to tell you this is going to replace your Weber or Big Green Egg but if you have a place that limits your use of grills I highly recommend looking at the Foodi Grill.

What I posted in my review - "This was an 18.4 ounce pork tenderloin. I roasted it at 350 and used the probe set at 150. It took about 18 minutes and I flipped at eight minutes. Let it rest for around eight minutes while the asparagus was cooking at the same temperature. The loin went to around 155, which I was shooting for. Probably as good as any tenderloin I've had."

71594257_10221138845479941_78003383553753088_n.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B07W6JVQNP

That's something to consider Vernon. My back porch is to the windward side of the house, anything of value on the front porch will eventually get snagged by cruising heroin addicts and pill heads, and I live in an upscale, well patrolled neighborhood. Sheesh, the only time junkies move fast and quietly is when they're stealing.

Reactions: Vernon
That's something to consider Vernon. My back porch is to the windward side of the house, anything of value on the front porch will eventually get snagged by cruising heroin addicts and pill heads, and I live in an upscale, well patrolled neighborhood. Sheesh, the only time junkies move fast and quietly is when they're stealing.
I was bored while working so I sliced a few different fruits and threw them using the dehydrator function. We'll see how they work out.

Reminds me of the video below on youtube about different kitchen appliances. I'd love to have that pizza oven that gets stupid hot, but I just don't make nearly enough homemade pizza to justify the price/counter space it would take up.

The family has a condo at the beach and that means no 'real' grills on the balcony. So for the last several years I've been in search of the best indoor grill. I've tried many and some are not that bad but of course they never really give you anything close to a gas or charcoal grill. While doing some research recently I found the Ninja Foodi Pro Grill (https://amzn.to/2LV5POo) and the reviews were ridiculously good. We ordered one and we're just now starting to really put it through some tests. Bottom line is this thing outperforms anything else I've tested and it's not even close. It can grill, roast, air fry, bake and dehydrate.

The key to this grill, and yes it deserves that title, is the temperature. It can reach 550F and since the air inside is circulating at that temp you get real grill flavor and even grill marks. Most food doesn't need a flip during cooking because of the air flow.

So I'm not here to tell you this is going to replace your Weber or Big Green Egg but if you have a place that limits your use of grills I highly recommend looking at the Foodi Grill.

What I posted in my review - "This was an 18.4 ounce pork tenderloin. I roasted it at 350 and used the probe set at 150. It took about 18 minutes and I flipped at eight minutes. Let it rest for around eight minutes while the asparagus was cooking at the same temperature. The loin went to around 155, which I was shooting for. Probably as good as any tenderloin I've had."

Have you tried a steak on it ?

Not sure why I didn't get a notice on this post but yes and they are fantastic. I'm using it almost daily now, usually for breakfast if nothing else. I can load in breakfast potatoes, bacon, eggs, biscuits and more. It's a pretty amazing device.
Thanks

Reminds me of the video below on youtube about different kitchen appliances. I'd love to have that pizza oven that gets stupid hot, but I just don't make nearly enough homemade pizza to justify the price/counter space it would take up.

A friend of my wife and her husband's, (double income,no kids), kitchen looks like the one in the commercial. All stainless and shiny. It's clear proof that if you don't have kids past a certain stage in life, you're going to end up with more money, junk, and less sense than you had at 12.

Not sure why I didn't get a notice on this post but yes and they are fantastic. I'm using it almost daily now, usually for breakfast if nothing else. I can load in breakfast potatoes, bacon, eggs, biscuits and more. It's a pretty amazing device.

Iā€™ve been looking into getting one of these. How do you cook your eggs? I like mine sunny side up but Iā€™m not sure how I would do it in the machine.

also getting the probe seems to be a good idea since it seems like every YouTube review mentions that the cooking times in the booklet seem to overestimate the time (for safety reasons most likely).

I bought the Ninja Foodie Grill.......did burgers a few days ago and a couple steaks today. It did a great job on both. Well pleased with the results. I did not get the pro model with the probe. The day I received mine from Amazon.....I saw one at Sams Club for 199.00 that came with a couple more accessories. Bought it and sent the other one back to Amazon.

I bought the Ninja Foodie Grill.......did burgers a few days ago and a couple steaks today. It did a great job on both. Well pleased with the results. I did not get the pro model with the probe. The day I received mine from Amazon.....I saw one at Sams Club for 199.00 that came with a couple more accessories. Bought it and sent the other one back to Amazon.
You have to pay close attention to the different models. Many people are getting great deals right now but it's the model with the dehydrating feature...which honestly a lot of people won't use anyway.

Iā€™ve been looking into getting one of these. How do you cook your eggs? I like mine sunny side up but Iā€™m not sure how I would do it in the machine.

also getting the probe seems to be a good idea since it seems like every YouTube review mentions that the cooking times in the booklet seem to overestimate the time (for safety reasons most likely).
You can use the griddle but I use the cup (about 3-4 days a week) and put three eggs in either mixed up for scrambled eggs or I don't mess with them and depending on how long you cook them you get a sunnyside up to fully cooked yolks.

You have to pay close attention to the different models. Many people are getting great deals right now but it's the model with the dehydrating feature...which honestly a lot of people won't use anyway.
I have been researching these for some time after your post. All the specs are the same as the Pro except for the probe. Amazon had mine as low as 169.00 before Christmas and It shot up to 229.00 + after. I will probably only use mine for grilling and air frying.

I have been researching these for some time after your post. All the specs are the same as the Pro except for the probe. Amazon had mine as low as 169.00 before Christmas and It shot up to 229.00 + after. I will probably only use mine for grilling and air frying.
I have the probe but I rarely use it. I also find myself air frying more than anything but the grill is fantastic as well. After months of use I would still call it one of the best kitchen items I've ever purchased.

If you are looking to buy......don't confuse the Ninja Foodi Grill with the Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker.......I have the grill and really like it.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
If you are looking to buy......don't confuse the Ninja Foodi Grill with the Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker.......I have the grill and really like it.

The grill is the one Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™ll have to check out Sams club to see if they carry it like you mentioned and see the price on the one with additional attachments. I may end up getting one with the temp probe.

The grill is the one Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™ll have to check out Sams club to see if they carry it like you mentioned and see the price on the one with additional attachments. I may end up getting one with the temp probe.
The additional attachments were kabob skewers,a 20 recipe book and a veggie tray.
I just checked the Amazon site to see the difference and I noticed they lowered the price of the Foodi with the probe to 269.00.....which is the lowest I have seen since before Christmas.

The Foodie Grill is the real deal.......did a couple NY Strips and several Fillets last night......everyone raved about the steaks.
Thanks for alerting us about this indoor grills.....really like it.

Last edited:

Got the grill and the ninja one pot/pressure cooker. Made carnitas in it Saturday night. Had a 5 lb pork butt fork tender in a little over an hour. The pressure really infused the butt with citrus flavor.

Really good..

Slightly off-topic, but I got really good at doing chicken on the grill. Smoked with an actual wood fire for 90 minutes, basted with Bama white sauce, gorgeous mahogany color, crisped up on grill gratez on the gas grill.

Aaaaaaand then I discovered air fryer chicken. I put on some garlic salt on legs and thighs at least an hour before cooking (it's called "dry brining" and everybody should do it), then I put 'em in the air fryer, flip after 8 minutes, and dinner is ready in <20 minutes!

The difference is the super crispy skin. The air fryer just gets the skin crispier than any grill method I have used. Daughter's willing to forego the smoky Bama white sauce, and I'm happy with the "life hack" of 20 minute delicious chicken.

@Vernon

Couple of questions for you, in regard to the Ninja, as I just saved it in my Amazon cart.

1. Are you still happy with it, a year or so later?
2. Did you purchase any of the accessories, specifically the griddle plate and the veggie tray?
3. Any other accessories that may be worthwhile?

@Vernon

Couple of questions for you, in regard to the Ninja, as I just saved it in my Amazon cart.

1. Are you still happy with it, a year or so later?
2. Did you purchase any of the accessories, specifically the griddle plate and the veggie tray?
3. Any other accessories that may be worthwhile?
1...Absolutely, it's running in the kitchen right now and I literally use it every day. I only use the grill option for certain items and if it's raining or cold and I want to grill something quickly but it's excellent. The air fryer is what I use more than anything else and I couldn't be happier.

2...Mine came with the griddle and veggie tray. I don't use the griddle often but it works well when I do. I'm not sure what they call the small bowl (cup) that mine came with but I use it daily.

3... The roast rack and silicone mitts are both nice.

1...Absolutely, it's running in the kitchen right now and I literally use it every day. I only use the grill option for certain items and if it's raining or cold and I want to grill something quickly but it's excellent. The air fryer is what I use more than anything else and I couldn't be happier.

2...Mine came with the griddle and veggie tray. I don't use the griddle often but it works well when I do. I'm not sure what they call the small bowl (cup) that mine came with but I use it daily.

3... The roast rack and silicone mitts are both nice.
Thanks. I'll see what's included with the one I was looking at. I was looking at the 6 in 1.

Thanks. I'll see what's included with the one I was looking at. I was looking at the 6 in 1.

I still havenā€™t purchased one, but I passed by one on display in Target the other day and it rekindled my interest in buying it. Iā€™ll probably go for the one with the temp probe and all the other accessories Vernon listed and the ones you mentioned. Keep me up to date on your purchase and Iā€™ll update with pictures once I purchase mine.

I still havenā€™t purchased one, but I passed by one on display in Target the other day and it rekindled my interest in buying it. Iā€™ll probably go for the one with the temp probe and all the other accessories Vernon listed and the ones you mentioned. Keep me up to date on your purchase and Iā€™ll update with pictures once I purchase mine.
It will be a while. This is intended as a Christmas gift to my wife. Every year, I buy her several presents, with one always serving as a 'his & her' type gift. This will serve as this year's gift. Last year it was a Mastercraft smoker, and the year before that, it was a Weber Grill. Thinking next year I may go big and get her a Big Green Egg.

Just an update. Wife opened up this gift on Christmas morning, and loved getting it. So far, she's made several vegetables, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and loved what it did with baking potatoes. Seemed to bake them much quicker than a regular oven. I grilled some burgers, and they were fabulous. Highly recommend this thing. Hell, I could even take it to a tailgate, and plug it into my SUV if I wanted to, but prefer the old fashion way of using charcoal at games, or on my portable gas grill.

Just an update. Wife opened up this gift on Christmas morning, and loved getting it. So far, she's made several vegetables, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and loved what it did with baking potatoes. Seemed to bake them much quicker than a regular oven. I grilled some burgers, and they were fabulous. Highly recommend this thing. Hell, I could even take it to a tailgate, and plug it into my SUV if I wanted to, but prefer the old fashion way of using charcoal at games, or on my portable gas grill.

which version did you ultimately end up purchasing? (any extra add ones purchased?)

which version did you ultimately end up purchasing? (any extra add ones purchased?)
I bought the same one Vernon purchased. The 5 in 1. I got a couple add-ons, like the veggie tray and the griddle pad. Not sure you really need either one though, but we'll probably try out the griddle to make some bacon and eggs at some point, once I ride down to Shippshewana, Indiana to acquire more of that Amish bacon. Made more burgers last night, from watching a woman on youtube, and copied her recipe. They were unbelievable. She basically mixed the hamburger with an egg and various seasonings, and added in some worcesterhire and they were the bomb.

I bought the same one Vernon purchased. The 5 in 1. I got a couple add-ons, like the veggie tray and the griddle pad. Not sure you really need either one though, but we'll probably try out the griddle to make some bacon and eggs at some point, once I ride down to Shippshewana, Indiana to acquire more of that Amish bacon. Made more burgers last night, from watching a woman on youtube, and copied her recipe. They were unbelievable. She basically mixed the hamburger with an egg and various seasonings, and added in some worcesterhire and they were the bomb.
I use the veggie tray every single day but in a weird way. I use it for breakfast potatoes. I cook my entire breakfast in the Foodi every morning.

Last night I cooked legs and thighs on the air fryer setting after marinating them all day in jerk seasoning. The bottle of jerk wasn't close to authentic but the molasses that they use really gave it a good sweet taste. 22 minutes at 350 turned out great, maybe a minute or two more than I should have used but I like to be sure with chicken.

I use the veggie tray every single day but in a weird way. I use it for breakfast potatoes. I cook my entire breakfast in the Foodi every morning.

Last night I cooked legs and thighs on the air fryer setting after marinating them all day in jerk seasoning. The bottle of jerk wasn't close to authentic but the molasses that they use really gave it a good sweet taste. 22 minutes at 350 turned out great, maybe a minute or two more than I should have used but I like to be sure with chicken.
We ordered a Samsung gas range that has the double oven (that can be used as one big oven, also), that will air fry. From reading this thread, i'm looking fotwatd to it.

I haven't used the air fryer yet, and that's probably what I need to use the most. Wife made whole wings (which I don't like due to the extra work of eating them), but she did so while I was at work, and made them on the grill, which ended up being an issue with all the smoke. I'm figuring air frying has to cut down on the smoking issue, so hoping to score a bag of pre-cut wings and air fry them for the Super Bowl.

I love breakfast potatoes, so how did you do these? Just cut fresh potatoes yourself, and then bake them in the tray? Temperature and Time? Like mine to be a little crispy, not not to the point of breaking teeth.

The Foodie Grill is the real deal.......did a couple NY Strips and several Fillets last night......everyone raved about the steaks.
Thanks for alerting us about this indoor grills.....really like it.
I still use the Foodie Grill when I want to do a steak or burgers.....but we have an air fryer that is less bulky and is more convient to use because it has a pull out basket....great for sausage,fries,bacon and the like.
Costco is selling the below unit for $39.00 ....it's a great addition and a great deal:

61HIBlpM3%2BL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I love breakfast potatoes, so how did you do these? Just cut fresh potatoes yourself, and then bake them in the tray? Temperature and Time? Like mine to be a little crispy, not not to the point of breaking teeth.
I either cut them in slices or cubes. I spray olive oil on them once they're in the tray. I add black pepper, garlic powder and sweet paprika. What I've learned to do is cook almost everything at 350-360. So I start each morning with the potatoes for 24 minutes at 360, then I add my other things like eggs (in the bowl), peppers, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, zucchini, etc. around the seven-minute mark and my cherry tomatoes at 2-2:30.

I grow a lot of my own veggies and that makes it fun for me each morning deciding what I'm going to have. My hydroponic peppers and tomatoes are always included.

Reactions: MichiganHerd
I looked at one of those in Lowes a few months ago. Let us know how it works out.
update, as promised.

Samsung range was installed about a week ago. wow. what an upgrade from the plain-jane 14-year old range we had. Each burner is a different size, for different functions. the air-fry and convection modes are really efficient.

small example; yesterday my wife made twice-baked potatoes ahead of time. needed to warm them up for dinner. I was grilling. she said it would take 30-40 minutes to warm them up in the oven, so i timed my grilling off that. she used the air fryer to warm them up. took less than 15 minutes.

the kids love using the griddle.

i noticed the Users Manual has a chart that shows how to set the temperature in each oven when using both. i had wondered how to account for heat transfer from one oven to another because of their proximity. Samsung already figured it out.

we're still familiarizing ourselves with the scope of the range's capabilities. so far it is very impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT