ADVERTISEMENT

My painful assessment

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
The Hindenburg, which burst into flames, and the Titanic, which took on icebergs and sank, meet WVU, which did both this week.

The back-to-back L’s was not a surprise, but back-to-back failures by double digits FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEASON was disheartening.

It has the earmarks of unraveling.

Texas Tech, in last place in the Big 12 all season, upset #6 Texas tonight, too. And is WVU’s NEXT opponent, noon Saturday in Morgantown. TT was supposed to be a sure W. Now, I'm not so sure.

If the Red Raiders beat the Mountaineers then they would be tied with WVU at 4-10! A TT team that was winless in the Big 12 for most of the season till its resurrection!

And WVU would be battling Oklahoma for worst record in the Big 12 standings!

Baylor, the best 3-point shooters in the Big 12, had a better percentage in 3’s (51.9% at 14-27) than WVU did with what should be easier FG shots (45.3% at 24-53).

As it did against Texas, WVU had better rebounding, 29-25, and matched Baylor in turnovers, 13-13.

Baylor had DOUBLE made 3-pointers over WVU for a 21-point difference, in a 12-point loss, 79-67, by the Mountaineers.

At the top, there are SIX Big 12 teams with 4 or 5 losses! Brutal battle for regular season place in the standings ahead. WVU and its fans will be nowhere near the struggle for the throne.

WVU is mired at 15-11 with 5 regular season games left, with Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State and Kansas State. Last 3 games are vs. #5, #19, #12. 15-16 is an awful regular season possibility!

Even a perpetual optimist like me is being tested in these circumstances!

I’ll be awake in agony till 3 a.m. and then the nightmare of replaying the first back-to-back double-digit losses will give me, well, nightmares.

I know the players feel worst than I do. But it is NOT a great night to be a Mountaineer!

We had yet to play the top 3 teams in the conference on the road, and of the two road games against TCU and KSU, one was played against a hindered opponent in front of like 1000 fans because the weather. We have 1 “quality loss” on the road.

Need to win all 3 remaining home games. We will not win another road game in Big 12.

Need to win all 3 remaining home games. We will not win another road game in Big 12.

We are probably in with 2-1 to close out at home and 1-1 in KC. I think that puts us in danger of going to Dayton though.

We are probably in with 2-1 to close out at home and 1-1 in KC. I think that puts us in danger of going to Dayton though.
Right now WVU NET ranking is 23 with 5-11 against Quad 1. I don't think they go to Dayton. They must win all 3 home games because road wins seem impossible for WVU. They are 10-0 against Quad 2, 3 and 4.

All this "quad" crap is pure Bs. A win is a win. A loss is a loss. No bad wins. No good losses. Too much new age over thinking.

All this "quad" crap is pure Bs. A win is a win. A loss is a loss. No bad wins. No good losses. Too much new age over thinking.
Well then, let’s just play 12 NAIA schools pre-conference and join the Mountain East Conference. Fairmont and West Liberty would be tough games but think of the 28 to 32 win seasons ! Just win baby !

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Right now WVU NET ranking is 23 with 5-11 against Quad 1. I don't think they go to Dayton. They must win all 3 home games because road wins seem impossible for WVU. They are 10-0 against Quad 2, 3 and 4.

Net won’t drop, and in fact may rise following road losses to KU and ISU. Net won’t rise and in fact may drop a little following home wins vs TT and OSU. The last one against KSU probably results in a slight drop if we lose. 1-1 in KC would give us another Quad 2 (?) win and a quad 1 loss, considering conference tournaments typically do very little to move the needle historically speaking barring an eye opening run or a surprise tournament winner, I tend to think we are in so long as we don’t pickup a bad loss. The committee always rewards a tough schedule, which is by design. It favors the big conferences which bring in more eyeballs and it favors the networks who get better non conference inventory to televise, they won’t reverse course this year or probably ever.

Net won’t drop, and in fact may rise following road losses to KU and ISU. Net won’t rise and in fact may drop a little following home wins vs TT and OSU. The last one against KSU probably results in a slight drop if we lose. 1-1 in KC would give us another Quad 2 (?) win and a quad 1 loss, considering conference tournaments typically do very little to move the needle historically speaking barring an eye opening run or a surprise tournament winner, I tend to think we are in so long as we don’t pickup a bad loss. The committee always rewards a tough schedule, which is by design. It favors the big conferences which bring in more eyeballs and it favors the networks who get better non conference inventory to televise, they won’t reverse course this year or probably ever.
Only possible bad losses would be Texas Tech at home or OSU at home.

Only possible bad losses would be Texas Tech at home or OSU at home.

Or OU/TT in KC, but again at that point the committee basically has their minds made up and it’s doubtful a loss there would cause them to reverse course.

IMO if we avoid the bad loss at home we are in. If we take out KSU to closeout we avoid Dayton. Possible (perhaps probable) First Four if we don’t take care of KSU. A Rd1 loss in KC could hurt us but again, historically speaking it probably won’t.

I remember a few years ago all of the talking heads built up some ACC matinee game as a “play in”, I think Clemson beat NC State on a buzzer beater and every talking head declared Clemson in and NC State out, and then NC State was in and Clemson was out, lol. These crusty dudes are not getting back in a room and redebating everything they agreed upon because of the rapid fire of results coming at them during the conference tournaments that ultimately represent an additional 3% or so of their season.

Last edited:
There are no "quality " losses. That thought is an invention by the participation trophy generation. BS.

The entire NCAA tournament is largely a participation trophy. The bubble is sifting through mountains of shit to figure out the ones that smell the least. None of the teams on it objectively deserve an equal opportunity to a national title than teams who have dominated all year, but this is the system and sadly enough they are trying to justify allowing another 10-30 teams into the mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
All I want is for WVU to be in March Madness, no matter where they are in the bracket. But being a 12 seed would be exciting since 5 seed has lost THIRTY ONE times to 12 seed in opening rounds! I'd like my beloved alma mater to be part of that history! Wouldn't you?

All I want is for WVU to be in March Madness, no matter where they are in the bracket. But being a 12 seed would be exciting since 5 seed has lost THIRTY ONE times to 12 seed in opening rounds! I'd like my beloved alma mater to be part of that history! Wouldn't you?
Pretty low standards for a coach you claim to be a top 2 coach in WVU sports history.

Failing to make the Tournament is the equivalent of not making a bowl game. Neither is acceptable with WVU's resources and yes, national reputation....which is evaporating.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
But how can a true WVU fan disrespect this?
Losses against Top 25 teams:
By 4 to #22 TCU
By 5 to #9 Baylor, #19 Iowa State
By 6 to #12 Kansas State
By 8 to #6 Texas
By 9 to #22 TCU
ALL BY SINGLE DIGITS AGAINST THE 25 BEST TEAMS IN AMERICA!
What would other Power 5 unranked teams be able to do in those 6 games?

No, a loss is a loss doesn't cut it. Losing my single digits in 6 games against Top 25 teams, including a recent national champion, is far more impressive than being blown away by them.

Where's your loyalty to my beloved alma mater?

By 4 to #22 TCU
By 6 to #12 Kansas State
By 8 to #6 Texas
By 9 to #22 TCU

No, a loss is a loss doesn't cut it. Losing my single digits in 6 games against Top 25 teams, including a recent national champion, is far more impressive than being blown away by them.

Stop being a dumbass. A loss is a loss.

By 4 to #22 TCU
By 6 to #12 Kansas State
By 8 to #6 Texas
By 9 to #22 TCU

Doesn't matter the reason, ranking or how much. A loss is a loss. They are hanging by a thread right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT