ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING UPDATE Musket Blasts: Decisions and visits return

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--West Virginia has 14 commitments in the class and that number could be growing soon as prospects will be making their college decisions this month and early next month. But before we dive into that, let's look at the class as a whole.

--With 14 commitments, I expect you could see another athlete added, two more wide receivers, an offensive lineman, a pair of defensive linemen, two or three linebackers and one or two safeties. I do expect that West Virginia is likely done at quarterback, true running backs, tight end and cornerback. I think obviously if the right name fell in place, especially at tight end you could see things change but that's how I see it as of today. That leaves around 8-9 spots most likely. So, 2 WR, 1 OL, 2/3 DL/Bandit, 2/3 LB, 1 S. Possibly an ATH or TE.

--Upcoming decision dates are as follows:
King William (Va.) athlete Demond Claiborne - 2:30 p.m. July 19
Philadelphia (Pa.) Neumann-Goretti wide receiver Kevin Thomas - July 31
Birmingham (Mi.) Groves athlete Jaden Mangham - Aug. 1

--King William (Va.) athlete Demond Claiborne is up first and he is expected to announce his decision tomorrow inside his school at a ceremony. This one has been kept really close to the vest as Claiborne hasn't given any indication which school it will be and to my knowledge even as close as this weekend the schools weren't sure of his destination yet. While he lists a final four, I truly believe this is down to Virginia and West Virginia. Running backs coach Chad Scott is the lead recruiter and I think that West Virginia has a great shot here but haven't been given any indication to make me think it's a done deal for the Mountaineers by any means. I legitimately wouldn't be surprised as of right now if this went either way with Wake Forest as truly the biggest wildcard of the bunch. West Virginia likes Claiborne because of his versatility and he would be an athlete playing in the backfield and at inside wide receiver as well as kick returns.

--Philadelphia (Pa.) Neumann-Goretti wide receiver Kevin Thomas took an official visit to West Virginia June 11-13 and then Michigan State June 25-27 and those two along with Texas A&M, Nebraska and Florida make up his final five. He is expected to make his decision July 31 and the belief is that West Virginia is in a good spot right now. The coaching staff has prioritized Thomas from the start and have been involved for a very long time.

--Birmingham (Mi.) Groves athlete Jaden Mangham will announce his college choice Aug. 1 after taking official visits to West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Illinois and Nebraska in order. He also took unofficial visits to Michigan and Michigan State. Mangham has been a priority for West Virginia for a long time and he has a great connection with the coaches, notably safeties coach Dontae Wright. He is being recruited as a free safety and it's been my belief for a while that West Virginia is in a good spot.

--Philadelphia (Pa.) Neumann-Goretti linebacker Raleigh Collins plans to make a decision at some point in August and has really surged up the board for West Virginia. Collins was initially offered as a cornerback but after competing in the annual 7-on-7 and doing a private workout is now being targeted as strictly a WILL linebacker. He has a legit 6-foot-3 frame with the ability to add onto it and he plans to return for another visit once the dead period ends next week. This is one to watch as things continue to progress.

--July 24 means the end of the summer dead period for a week and West Virginia will host a camp July 29, as well as the possibility of some official visitors. My understanding is that nothing is set in stone yet on that last part but it could be something to keep an eye on if the coaches elect to do it.

--Cincinnati (Oh.) Moeller wide receiver Brandon White wants to make a decision prior to the season and if he sticks to that the two schools that seem to be at the top battling for his services are West Virginia and Kentucky. The Wildcats were on White first and have some ties to his school which makes that one tricky, but the Mountaineers are definitely involved. Where he makes it to next week will be critical to keep track of because Kentucky is definitely pushing him to visit and West Virginia would like to get one too after he really emerged onto the radar after a strong private workout.

--Knoxville (Tn.) Knoxville Catholic wide receiver Tommy Winton took an official visit to West Virginia June 24-26 and had said that he wanted to make his college choice sometime before his season started. Right now, there's nothing really new here as he said that the Mountaineers and Tennessee were the two programs that were standing out the most to him. I'm keeping an eye on this one just to see where exactly he fits in when it comes to recruiting the position and numbers because it's clear he really likes the Mountaineers.

--Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep linebacker Travious Lathan doesn't have a decision date set but it could occur at anytime or he could elect to wait until the fall. Credit tight ends coach Travis Trickett for recruiting this one hard and getting him to campus for an official visit June 11-13. The Mountaineers are in a good spot here but he also took an official visit to Pittsburgh and is receiving interest from several other programs.

--Tarpon Springs (Fla.) East Lake offensive lineman Trent Ramsey is a prospect that West Virginia would almost assuredly take if he wanted to commit despite the number of linemen in the class. He took an official visit to Morgantown June 11-13 and also took official visits to California and Indiana. Those are the top three schools for him right now and while he hasn't specifically pushed that he would make a summer decision it's always a possibility. He has two official visits left though so it wouldn't be surprising if he elects to wait until the fall in order to check out a few more schools.

--Nothing really new to report with Miami (Fla.) Central linebacker Wesley Bissainthe who took an official visit to West Virginia June 4-6. He also took official visits to Penn State and Miami, while taking an unofficial to Florida State. The plan is to make a decision during the season and he also plans to take an official to Florida State.

--Even with two commitments defensive line seems to be the most open position on the board. Middletown (Del.) defensive end Tomiwa Durojaiye took an unofficial visit to West Virginia earlier this summer and has one official left prior to when he plans to make a college choice Aug. 7. He is down to a final five of West Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt but the interesting part is he's yet to take an official visit to the first two schools on that list. He is considering take one to either West Virginia or Kentucky when things open back up but only has one official left and will have to choose between the two. I don't think not getting an official will be the end of things here because clearly the Mountaineers made the cut despite not getting one of his previously used four already but it would help. Durojaiye was really impressed with his visit here. Some other names on the defensive line are Chandler (Az.) defensive tackle Jacob Holmes, Irvington (N.J.) defensive lineman Justin Jenkins and some others.

--Valdosta (Ga.) Lowndes linebacker DeAunte Hunter took official visits to West Virginia and Syracuse in June and right now I'd say that Syracuse seems to be the school that has generated the most attention. Now, some of that could be the fact that I've yet to be able to get him on the phone to really discuss his thoughts on West Virginia but it just seems to me based on reading the situation that the Orange are out front.

--Winter Garden (Fla.) Foundation Academy defensive end Bryan Thomas pretty much flat out told me that West Virginia was in a good spot following his official visit June 24-26 and the coaches like him at bandit. He is the son of the former New York Jet of the same name but hasn't indicated that a decision is imminent. He was highly impressed with West Virginia though and I do think it's a name to pocket whether he wants to continuing taking trips or looking to decide on a school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.