ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Mountaineers Eliminated from Big 12 Championship by Oklahoma State

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
ARLINGTON, Texas (May 25, 2023) – The West Virginia baseball team saw its Big 12 Tournament run come to an end on Thursday as the third-seeded Mountaineers fell to No. 2-seed Oklahoma State, 3-2, at Globe Life Field.

In the closest game of the championship so far, the Mountaineers fought back from an early hole to tie the game before the Cowboys scored a run in the eighth to retake the lead.

In the top of the ninth, the Mountaineers attempted a two-out rally as sophomore JJ Wetherholt was hit by a pitch before going to third on a double by redshirt-senior Caleb McNeely. After sophomore Grant Hussey was also hit by a pitch, junior Landon Wallace battled against Juaron Watts-Brown, but the MLB draft prospect got Wallace to swing through a 2-2 slider to end the game.

Junior Ben Hampton got the start and after allowing two unearned runs in the first, settled in nicely, not allowing another run in 6.0 innings while striking out a pair. His first strikeout of the game was the 200th of his career, becoming the 20th Mountaineer in program history to reach the milestone.

Wetherholt and Wallace each finished the game with two hits and a run scored while freshman Sam White and junior Braden Barry each drove in a run with groundouts.

The Mountaineers struggled to get a big hit all as they went just 2-for-18 with runners on base and 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.

West Virginia will now turn its attention toward NCAA Regionals. The selection show will air, Monday, May 29 at 12 p.m. on ESPN2.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVUBaseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Boy I sure am glad that I was wrong to be worried that getting swept by Texas was going to cost WVU and bode ill for post season. I don't want MountaineerWV to revoke my fan card and prohibit me from being a WVU fan.

Boy I sure am glad that I was wrong to be worried that getting swept by Texas was going to cost WVU and bode ill for post season. I don't want MountaineerWV to revoke my fan card and prohibit me from being a WVU fan.
Poor baby. Things didn't go the way he wanted after buying his t-shirt from Walmart 2 weeks ago and he was denied a return.

Grow a pair Nancy. Your "fan card" cannot be revoked because it was never issued. You only jumped on board the WVU baseball bandwagon when they were in the middle of their run. Before and after, you are just a whiny bitch.

One positive is that WVU's pitching will not get exhausted like some of these other teams fighting in their conference tournaments. A little rest, probably a few days off, will do this team good. Latest D1 Baseball projections had WVU as the 2 seed in the Charlottesville Regional against 3 seed Iowa. With 1 seed UVA playing auto qualifier Penn. I like that regional.

For my own personal desire, I'd like to see WVU in the Lexington, KY regional. Easier for me to be in attendance.

Poor baby. Things didn't go the way he wanted after buying his t-shirt from Walmart 2 weeks ago and he was denied a return.

Grow a pair Nancy. Your "fan card" cannot be revoked because it was never issued. You only jumped on board the WVU baseball bandwagon when they were in the middle of their run. Before and after, you are just a whiny bitch.

I'm a realist. I saw the choke at Texas for the obvious bad omen it was and recognized how it has fit the pattern of WVU sports in my lifetime. Being a fan is not being an eternally optimistic homer. Any idiot with a modicum of knowledge about baseball knows WVU stepped in a hole they were favored to avoid.

Get off your high horse trying to talk to me like I'm some pleb. I've done nothing but state facts to which I base my opinion and all you have done is progressively moved into more mean spirited pejoratives. I know more than you.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I'm a realist. I saw the choke at Texas for the obvious bad omen it was and recognized how it has fit the pattern of WVU sports in my lifetime. Being a fan is not being an eternally optimistic homer. Any idiot with a modicum of knowledge about baseball knows WVU stepped in a hole they were favored to avoid.

Get off your high horse trying to talk to me like I'm some pleb. I've done nothing but state facts to which I base my opinion and all you have done is progressively moved into more mean spirited pejoratives. I know more than you.
You have judged this team over THREE GAMES and completely disregarded the previous 50. Don’t try saying you are “stating facts”. You aren’t. You are spewing biased opinion.

One positive is that WVU's pitching will not get exhausted like some of these other teams fighting in their conference tournaments. A little rest, probably a few days off, will do this team good. Latest D1 Baseball projections had WVU as the 2 seed in the Charlottesville Regional against 3 seed Iowa. With 1 seed UVA playing auto qualifier Penn. I like that regional.

For my own personal desire, I'd like to see WVU in the Lexington, KY regional. Easier for me to be in attendance.
As of May 24

Baseball America updated their projection for this week, and also removed the Mountaineers from regional hosting duties. They would be the No. 2 team in the Stanford region, with UC Santa Barbara (No. 3) and San Jose State (No. 4) also in that quadrant. Last week, BaseballAmerica had WVU as the No. 7 overall seed.

You have judged this team over THREE GAMES and completely disregarded the previous 50. Don’t try saying you are “stating facts”. You aren’t. You are spewing biased opinion.

I never said WVU was a bad team. I said WVU majorly screwed up a golden opportunity when the spotlight was on them. Now they are in a hole that could've been reasonably avoided. And I will judge them rightly as only marginally better than other WVU baseball teams in the past if they shit the bed in the NCAA the way they did in the Big 12 tournament. That is because, while still the best, they have blown 2 opportunities to cement themselves as the head and shoulders greatest WVU team of all time. And they are more than capable of being outright Big 12 champs or a deep run in the Big 12 tournament.

You can have a football team that has to drive 98 yards in 2 minutes for a TD to win. Not a good position to be in. So you can be recognize it as a good thing that the team got to first and goal at the 1 foot line. You can also be disappointed if that team fails to get that measely 1 foot in 4 tries as a missed opportunity.

So again. A good baseball team and the best WVU has ever had. Also a typical WVU team in that when the pressure and attention were on them, they failed to play up to their potential missing out on a historically great season.

So again. A good baseball team and the best WVU has ever had. Also a typical WVU team in that when the pressure and attention were on them, they failed to play up to their potential missing out on a historically great season.
This is the attitude I'm talking about. Please, go find another team to be a "fan" of. Since you are miserable about the "typical" WVU teams.

Oh, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ when you leave either.

This is the attitude I'm talking about. Please, go find another team to be a "fan" of. Since you are miserable about the "typical" WVU teams.

Oh, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ when you leave either.

When has WVU had expectations of a championship and risen to that occasion? Football 1988? 1993? (Although that team was lucky to be undefeated), 2007? 2018? Basketball 2010 took the Big East not as a favorite. 2023 WVU baseball one series win away from Big 12 title?

The question to you is, AM I WRONG? Has WVU more often than not dropped the ball when heavily favored and/or prominent in sports media? If I am not wrong, which it is obvious I am not, how are you a "better fan" by ignoring this fact or lying to yourself about it?

That sums it up. According to you, any fan that dares to point out short comings and errors by the team is a traitor and non-fan. Now please tell me I am wrong without anything other than pejoratives and assertions as you have done multiple times so far, comrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
When has WVU had expectations of a championship and risen to that occasion? Football 1988? 1993? (Although that team was lucky to be undefeated), 2007? 2018? Basketball 2010 took the Big East not as a favorite. 2023 WVU baseball one series win away from Big 12 title?

The question to you is, AM I WRONG? Has WVU more often than not dropped the ball when heavily favored and/or prominent in sports media? If I am not wrong, which it is obvious I am not, how are you a "better fan" by ignoring this fact or lying to yourself about it?

That sums it up. According to you, any fan that dares to point out short comings and errors by the team is a traitor and non-fan. Now please tell me I am wrong without anything other than pejoratives and assertions as you have done multiple times so far, comrade.
I enjoy the experience, and the ride. You, however, only want the accolades and achievements. Disappointment comes to every team BUT ONE in the end. But it's how fans react to that disappointment that judges the fanbase. You, sir, don't care about the achievements throughout the season.....but you revel in the "typical" disappointment that you constantly love pointing out.

One win and they definitely would have been as two seed. It's still possible because it's also based on the location that you're sent to.
True. Does it not also depend on other conference tournaments as well. I will say they end up a 3 seed.

True. Does it not also depend on other conference tournaments as well. I will say they end up a 3 seed.
It's all factored in. What D1 is thinking is Charlottesville is the most likely spot for WVU and they would be the second best team there. But they've made that prediction for the last several weeks and it may change of course.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I enjoy the experience, and the ride. You, however, only want the accolades and achievements. Disappointment comes to every team BUT ONE in the end. But it's how fans react to that disappointment that judges the fanbase. You, sir, don't care about the achievements throughout the season.....but you revel in the "typical" disappointment that you constantly love pointing out.

I'm not talking up WVU's failures with other fan bases, but amongst fellow travelers. I care less about best baseball team in NCAA history than the worst WVU team simply because they are not WVU. I am a WVU fan, her warts and all. I'm not a fan of a romanticized version of WVU like I was in my youth.

I think season reflection is for after there is nothing left to play for. Until that point, most teams focus on how are things currently and if not good, then why. After knowing the why, you can see what you can do to best improve for your next set of games. Taking a blow like WVU did in that Texas series and resting on the laurels of how good the season was up to that point is a death knell for the post season. Unfortunately all of the concerns I expressed after that series are coming to pass.

We can discuss the merits of each others position and ultimately agree to disagree without calling each other stupid, crazy, or poor white trash.

I'm not talking up WVU's failures with other fan bases, but amongst fellow travelers. The I care less about best baseball team in NCAA history than the worst WVU team simply because they are not WVU. I am a WVU fan, her warts and all. I'm not a fan of a romanticized version of WVU like I was in my youth.

I think season reflection is for after there is nothing left to play for. Until that point, most teams are focus on how are things currently and if not good, then why. After knowing the why, you can see what you can do to best improve for your next set of games. Taking a blow like WVU did in that Texas series and resting on the laurels of how good the season was up to that point is a death knell for the post season.

We can discuss the merits of each others position and ultimately agree to disagree without calling each other stupid, crazy, or poor white trash.
The bottom line is you're going to face better competition/talent in bowls and tournaments. WVU often overachieves and has good regular seasons but has struggled when they face the truly talented teams. While I would like to think WVU could get one win out of the last five baseball games I also think they faced teams that were more talented.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
The bottom line is you're going to face better competition/talent in bowls and tournaments. WVU often overachieves and has good regular seasons but has struggled when they face the truly talented teams. While I would like to think WVU could get one win out of the last five baseball games I also think they faced teams that were more talented.

That is true. Not so much for TTU and OSU, but for Texas I'd agree with that statement. There is a reason they got the first seed even if they screwed the pooch in the Big 12 tournament. That being said, if WVU was on equal "co-champ" footing with Texas then WVU should've won one game in that series or at least threatened to win one. Instead they were blown out of the game by the 3rd inning in each. I think WVU was and is capable of doing that and the fact they were not even close is more on WVU than it is on Texas. I think there is a big difference between 5-3 or 10-8 games and 12-2 or 7-3, but it's 6-0 after 2 innings and the home team can just coast.

fools-gold-8bca01bec9be404ab359090537c6988c.jpg

You can feel free to do the same. Any time you feel like it. You are one quick to correct others, but can't take it back. Figures.
You lack knowledge and enjoy using report button. I believe you are a rat and free loader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT