ADVERTISEMENT

Morgantown Experience

jdogg_20_8

Freshman
Apr 27, 2007
So before I begin full confession, I am an FSU fan. However recently, I started hanging out with a WVU girl. So much so that we have made plans to come up to Morgantown to watch the OK game. It is her and my first time at a home WVU game. I have been stalking the threads recently and have not seen anything similar to this posted.

With that all said, I have zero knowledge of the area. We are driving up from Boone county Friday morning. We love to tailgate, take in the campus, eat good food, drink etc. It appears that Morgantown is like how Tallahassee used to be where there aren't really good places close to the stadium to eat and drink and post up all day. We plan to get there by noon to give us ALL day to party. My questions then are what are your recommendations? What are the have tos? We definitely want to hit up Primanti Brothers for lunch (she is also a huge Steelers fan, so we have done the Pittsburgh downtown location a few times). Can we park in a tailgate lot and walk to most of these things? Places to go on campus? Places to go after the game to celebrate a win? Bookstores or Apparel shops? Trying to make the best of the day and experience as much as we can. Also how early should we get to the stadium? FSU games you can stand in line for an hour if you don't time it right. She is in her early 20's and I act like I am still in college. Thanks for any help. If there is a thread that I missed, feel free to point me in that direction.

Are you related to Jesco?

I spent some time in Tallahassee, and lived off Pensacola, and always walked up to the stadium to meet the other tailgaters. Surprised you had to stand in line for an hour. Is that because you were in the student section line?

No relation

It's been recently with them adding the metal detectors. Was AWFUL for the Spring Game

She is a WVU girl that has never been to Morgantown? That's a little odd, that said below is a guide from someone who hasn't been there since 2011 but I think most of these places/things still exist.

For Friday Night dinner/nightlife its the usual chain restaurant scene, on a game weekend they fill up fast so make a reservation or arrive early. Party downtown, Bent Willey's is the main downtown bar, it is basically a night club if that's what you're into. If not The Sports Page, Big Times, or Chic n Bones are good more traditional bars where you can have a beer and hear yourself talk.

Tailgating scene is on the Evansdale side of campus, if there is no game then Evansdale is typically not the side of campus vistiors hang out at, the stadium is in the Ruby Memorial Hospital parking lot, but that lot is for season ticket holders. Good lots to park at for non season ticket holders are near the Towers dorms (further but cheaper), or by the medical PRT stop (closer but more expensive), there are 3rd party lots run by the restaurants near the medical PRT as well. Side note, the PRT is Morgantown's monorail system, it has 5 stops, by the hospital, Towers, Engineering (where classes go on), Beechurst (Sunnyside), and Walnut (Downtown).

For the game, if you want to see intros/not miss any action, get there early, ticket check in is a disaster.

Best place for merch on Gameday is the Book Exchange, it is very close to that Towers lot I recommended and in the Kroger shopping center.

For a pregame watering hole/meal I would recommend Keglers, best wings in town. It is walking distance from the medical PRT lot.

If they win, downtown should be lit. If they lose the town will be somber, would recommend just going to bed.

Appreciate the information.

I cannot really attest to what happened with her before I was around. But since I have, we have gone to the WVU-Tenn game, and she has been to two Steelers games (12/25 Ravens and 12/17 Patriots) the last two seasons.

I'm just really excited as a big college football fan to experience a new/different environment for college football and all the pageantry that a home WVU game brings to the table.

The best route to the stadium is taking University Avenue. Just take the I-68 exit off of 79 and follow the signs...lol.

Reactions: jdogg_20_8
Nice to see FSU taking it in the jingles this year. Have fun losing next year as well. Brilliant hire in Willie Taggart, brilliant. I bet you hope FSU does not fall back into those losing era's before Bowden signed up.

Hope you don't end up in Pittsburgh.

They didn’t ask me but thanks! You sound like a fun person. Glad you’re not the norm compared to other WVU people I’ve met.

Appreciate the information.

I cannot really attest to what happened with her before I was around. But since I have, we have gone to the WVU-Tenn game, and she has been to two Steelers games (12/25 Ravens and 12/17 Patriots) the last two seasons.

I'm just really excited as a big college football fan to experience a new/different environment for college football and all the pageantry that a home WVU game brings to the table.

Its certainly different than the south if FSU games are your norm, Morgantown has its own unique charm but the crowd is not going to be like a game in the Southeast. Our crowd is like a mix of something that feels sortve like southern hospitality combined with a northeast NFL game type of atmosphere as the fanbase comes into town from the Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC, NJ/NYC areas in addition to WV. The tailgating you will witness will resemble more of a drinking contest than a cookoff but its still a lot of fun, and I like our atmosphere, but it is unquestionably different than what you will be used to.

Its certainly different than the south if FSU games are your norm, Morgantown has its own unique charm but the crowd is not going to be like a game in the Southeast. Our crowd is like a mix of something that feels sortve like southern hospitality combined with a northeast NFL game type of atmosphere as the fanbase comes into town from the Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC, NJ/NYC areas in addition to WV. The tailgating you will witness will resemble more of a drinking contest than a cookoff but its still a lot of fun, and I like our atmosphere, but it is unquestionably different than what you will be used to.

This is mostly what I’m excited for. I love seeing how people tailgate. Went to a penn state game and tailgated in a cow pasture. Will definitely get chills when Country Roads play. I’m a Orioles fan, which means I’ve got a special place in my heart for John Denver.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Everything is on a hill. Including the hills.
Funny I’ve spent two 4th of July’s on Cheat Lake in another lifetime. But never went on campus. New life we’ve spent two summers in summersville and Charleston. So we know how gorgeous your state is. Now if it could be a little warmer Friday night

Trust me you will love it. Mountaineer Field rocks for big games especially. Students are out of town but it will still be rocking and loud and I’ve been to SEC games all over. It will be loud Friday night. Especially loud if WVU plays well. Auburn fans thought Morgantown was loud.

So before I begin full confession, I am an FSU fan. However recently, I started hanging out with a WVU girl. So much so that we have made plans to come up to Morgantown to watch the OK game. It is her and my first time at a home WVU game. I have been stalking the threads recently and have not seen anything similar to this posted.

With that all said, I have zero knowledge of the area. We are driving up from Boone county Friday morning. We love to tailgate, take in the campus, eat good food, drink etc. It appears that Morgantown is like how Tallahassee used to be where there aren't really good places close to the stadium to eat and drink and post up all day. We plan to get there by noon to give us ALL day to party. My questions then are what are your recommendations? What are the have tos? We definitely want to hit up Primanti Brothers for lunch (she is also a huge Steelers fan, so we have done the Pittsburgh downtown location a few times). Can we park in a tailgate lot and walk to most of these things? Places to go on campus? Places to go after the game to celebrate a win? Bookstores or Apparel shops? Trying to make the best of the day and experience as much as we can. Also how early should we get to the stadium? FSU games you can stand in line for an hour if you don't time it right. She is in her early 20's and I act like I am still in college. Thanks for any help. If there is a thread that I missed, feel free to point me in that direction.
My advice is to hit Mario's Fishbowl on Richwood Ave near downtown for lunch. Then make your way towards the stadium and go to Keglers a few hours before game time. You can park there also. Walk to the stadium from there and hit up some tailgating along the way. Be in the stadium in time for the band pre-game show. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Game day atmosphere is awesome, especially for a night game. Student section will be scarce because of the holiday, but the rest of the stadium will be packed.

Plenty of tailgating in the immediate area. No need to buy food. Enjoy the game. Nights like this are what college football is all about.

What is the heck is a stinking 'tailgate' party? I sure would like to attend one and see it in live action. Warez

She is a WVU girl that has never been to Morgantown? That's a little odd, that said below is a guide from someone who hasn't been there since 2011 but I think most of these places/things still exist.

For Friday Night dinner/nightlife its the usual chain restaurant scene, on a game weekend they fill up fast so make a reservation or arrive early. Party downtown, Bent Willey's is the main downtown bar, it is basically a night club if that's what you're into. If not The Sports Page, Big Times, or Chic n Bones are good more traditional bars where you can have a beer and hear yourself talk.

Tailgating scene is on the Evansdale side of campus, if there is no game then Evansdale is typically not the side of campus vistiors hang out at, the stadium is in the Ruby Memorial Hospital parking lot, but that lot is for season ticket holders. Good lots to park at for non season ticket holders are near the Towers dorms (further but cheaper), or by the medical PRT stop (closer but more expensive), there are 3rd party lots run by the restaurants near the medical PRT as well. Side note, the PRT is Morgantown's monorail system, it has 5 stops, by the hospital, Towers, Engineering (where classes go on), Beechurst (Sunnyside), and Walnut (Downtown).

For the game, if you want to see intros/not miss any action, get there early, ticket check in is a disaster.

Best place for merch on Gameday is the Book Exchange, it is very close to that Towers lot I recommended and in the Kroger shopping center.

For a pregame watering hole/meal I would recommend Keglers, best wings in town. It is walking distance from the medical PRT lot.

If they win, downtown should be lit. If they lose the town will be somber, would recommend just going to bed.

Didnt Bent Willeys close?

Last time I stopped in it was like an arcade in the lower bar...like a Dave and Busters thing.

When I visit games with my wife now we usually dont have tailgates to visit so we park at the Coliseum and walk to the PRT by the arts building and ride downtown...check out campus then visit bookstore or book exchange. Then eat and drink downtown, take prt back to stadium about 1.5 hours before kickoff.

Works well for us. Downtown is what a visitor should check out if they can.

After the game we prt back downtown if we feel up to it, then Uber to our hotel rooms later at night.

This is mostly what I’m excited for. I love seeing how people tailgate. Went to a penn state game and tailgated in a cow pasture. Will definitely get chills when Country Roads play. I’m a Orioles fan, which means I’ve got a special place in my heart for John Denver.

Been to games all over and wvu tailgating holds up.

When I visit games with my wife now we usually dont have tailgates to visit so we park at the Coliseum and walk to the PRT by the arts building and ride downtown...check out campus then visit bookstore or book exchange. Then eat and drink downtown, take prt back to stadium about 1.5 hours before kickoff.

Works well for us. Downtown is what a visitor should check out if they can.

After the game we prt back downtown if we feel up to it, then Uber to our hotel rooms later at night.

Very good post. Can your car stay in tailgate lots overnight?

Very good post. Can your car stay in tailgate lots overnight?

I'm not sure. Parking is free at the Coliseum during football games, and I think youd be safe from a tow overnight but I cant say for certain.

Ive taken an uber back to my car parked there around 9 pm after a 3:00 pm game and I was almost the only car left in the lot...no ticket.

Where are you staying? There nice hotels less than 1 mile from the Coliseum....marriot and others.

Ps. The coliseum lot has tailgating and the Rv's are there, but its a bit of a walk from stadium.

We looked way late for a hotel. Only place we could find was Quality Inn out by I-68. Says 5 miles from football stadium.

Appreciate the advice. In West Virginia now, excited for the next 24 hours. Happy Thanksgiving.
Mario’s Fishbowl and Keglers are great suggestions. Make your way through the Blue Lot (parking lot directly in front of the stadium) 1-2 hours before the game. It’s a great experience. Have fun and welcome to Morgantown!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT