ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri's a mess

NCBuck

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
Kansas City, MO
Anyone been watching what's happening at Missouri and wondering if the SEC regrets their decision to take them instead of WVU a few years back. They have no Chancellor, system president, or now lack an AD who is going to Baylor of all places after being at MO for only 15 months. There's been a lot of turmoil there over the last couple of years.......what a shame

Anyone been watching what's happening at Missouri and wondering if the SEC regrets their decision to take them instead of WVU a few years back. They have no Chancellor, system president, or now lack an AD who is going to Baylor of all places after being at MO for only 15 months. There's been a lot of turmoil there over the last couple of years.......what a shame
Yuuuuuuup, a few years ago they "were decent...now,dumpster fire.?

That may indeed be the case here in the near term; but a couple of good hires.....easier said than done, perhaps......could mean this whole fire very old news in as little as a year.

Reactions: CAJUNEER
That may indeed be the case here in the near term; but a couple of good hires.....easier said than done, perhaps......could mean this whole fire very old news in as little as a year.

Agreed, but that's a lot of good fortune to nail both a good AD and a good HC at the same time. I would argue we haven't had that combo at any one time since Don Nehlen was in his early years here. Hard to expect Misery to nail both in one shot.

I honestly (sadly) don't think the SEC cares. They gave up on their model for success when they took Misery over us, which was putting the best product on the field. The new model is "who can get us the most money." The only way they would care about Misery is if this situation cost them a cable contract there. As long as the checks keep coming....[banana]

I honestly (sadly) don't think the SEC cares. They gave up on their model for success when they took Misery over us, which was putting the best product on the field. The new model is "who can get us the most money." The only way they would care about Misery is if this situation cost them a cable contract there. As long as the checks keep coming....[banana]
I find it very difficult to be critical of Missouri so far in the SEC even from the standpoint of "best product on the field." They did reach the SEC championship game in both year 2 and year 3 after joining. We wouldn't even have come close to achieving that, because we haven't competed yet in the weaker conference they left behind.

I find it very difficult to be critical of Missouri so far in the SEC even from the standpoint of "best product on the field." They did reach the SEC championship game in both year 2 and year 3 after joining. We wouldn't even have come close to achieving that, because we haven't competed yet in the weaker conference they left behind.

Agree on the 2-3 year window, but most would agree our overall football brand is better. And lets be honest, the SEC East is hardly a murderers row.

I would also argue that if Dana doesn't work out, that our program is in a much more stable place than Misery's. If a change were needed, I think our 2017 will be a great opportunity to make a big splash as a new HC.

They have deep cultural issues on campus

Reactions: PharmaEer

Good and fair post

Both A&M and Missouri have been much more successful in the SEC from the start. Check the records. They were both mediocre in the Big 12.

Both A&M and Missouri have been much more successful in the SEC from the start. Check the records. They were both mediocre in the Big 12.
I don't know that it's entirely accurate to say that. On Missouri, yes, by any measure. Texas A&M? Maybe not.

A&M is 18-14 (.563) so far in SEC conference play, posting a winning conference record in just the first season. Through their first 4 years in the Big 12, the Aggies were 22-10 (.688), had won the Big 12 once, and tied for the Big 12 South lead on a second occasion.

By the end of their time in the Big 12, it's true that A&M's conference record (68-61, .527) slipped below where it currently is in the SEC. So your "mediocre" label is basically defensible. However, it's a bit misleading to say the Aggies have been more successful in the SEC from the start.

Agree on the 2-3 year window, but most would agree our overall football brand is better. And lets be honest, the SEC East is hardly a murderers row.

I would also argue that if Dana doesn't work out, that our program is in a much more stable place than Misery's. If a change were needed, I think our 2017 will be a great opportunity to make a big splash as a new HC.

I wouldn't say WVUs football brand is better than Mizzou's. They are pretty damn even.

Reactions: torontoeers
I don't know that it's entirely accurate to say that. On Missouri, yes, by any measure. Texas A&M? Maybe not.

A&M is 18-14 (.563) so far in SEC conference play, posting a winning conference record in just the first season. Through their first 4 years in the Big 12, the Aggies were 22-10 (.688), had won the Big 12 once, and tied for the Big 12 South lead on a second occasion.

By the end of their time in the Big 12, it's true that A&M's conference record (68-61, .527) slipped below where it currently is in the SEC. So your "mediocre" label is basically defensible. However, it's a bit misleading to say the Aggies have been more successful in the SEC from the start.

2011- 4-5 in Big 12 7-6 overall
2012- 6-2 in SEC, 11-2 overall with close losses to only LSU and FL.

Pretty impressive start to me. They beat #1 Alabama the first year in the SEC.

Going by the records I think WVU has a nice edge

Team All Time 2000-2015
WVU 731–482–45 129-71
MIZZU 668–541–53 120-81

I'm not saying we would have done the same thing Missouri did, but the SEC East is nowhere near as strong as the Big 12. Not even close.

Here's a fact... ...despite of what Missouri is (or isn't ) doing.... ...WVU hasn't exactly impressed football fans of fellow Big 12 schools.

I'm not sure why we attempt to deflect our failures toward other schools as some kind reasonable excuses.

While I would give us the edge, the two programs are probably pretty darn close right now. If our defense gels, Skyler and company should put more than enough points on the board.

Given it's our home opener -

WVU 34
Missouri 20

Reactions: torontoeers

I was more talking about the off field issues as "the mess" and how I think its more of the type of bad publicity the SEC doesn't want. I also believe its affected their recent performance in league play and think it will be hard for them to match their early success.

I wouldn't say WVUs football brand is better than Mizzou's. They are pretty damn even.

I have noticed GetYaNumbersUp never wants to give WVU football credit. The WVU logo is one of the best in college football, its BCS wins, HOF Coach in Don Nehlen, HOF players in Huff, Talley, and Major Harris(13 total), the 14th winningest all time, played for a NC in last 25 years, and the program only has 5 losing seasons since 1980, . Also, the number 1 rated college football game ever watched on a Thursday night. Also, (sadly now that its gone) the WVU vs Pitt rivalry game is rated in the Top 10 all time. Im just surprised you come on here so often and down play what WVU has been and can be without fans calling u out more.

Now on the flip side Mizzou has about 20 losing seasons since 1980.

There are 10, maybe 12 teams that get the focus and about 80% of the national media attention. Unfortunately, WVU is not one of them.

Can GY#up be hyper-critical; yes. Are the opinions frequently misguided; rarely. I'm not a fan, but to say all posts are negative is a stretch.

So GY#Up, say something positive about Mountaineer Football.

Hello, gents. Mizzou alum and fan here. Hope you don't mind me dropping in... I always enjoy seeing what the opposition's fans think about my school before they play. Good entertainment.

It's hard to defend a lot of the crap that's been going on in Columbia, MO. It's definitely been an embarrassment how our leadership handed this faux "movement." But life will go on... MU has been around since 1839; they're not going to close up. And to answer the question of whether or not the SEC regrets adding us: I wouldn't think so. We were added for one reason: Our population numbers. Plain and simple. We only have one D1 program in a state of over 6 million. That was appetizing to the SEC. It's also why they wanted A&M -- to get into Texas. Everything is controlled by money. It's just a sad reality.

Regarding our game, many of the die hards think Mizzou will win because of our Defense. The average fan thinks we'll get run out of Morgantown. I tend to think we'll lose, but I'm hopeful we'll see some positive signs of change...

Pinkel is Mizzou legend. No doubt. Our program was in shambles before he showed up, and now, we're considered a top 20ish program. However... Plenty of us who follow the program closely know that things had gotten a bit lax. Recruiting wasn't as strong. And Pinkel's hires of offensive personnel proved to be tremendously weak. Our offensive coordinator was dreadful. Plain and simple.

Barry Odom is an exciting hire. He was true assistant on the rise. It's great that he's a hometown guy.... and he brought in a great support staff, only keeping a couple of Pinkel assistants. We're all very eager to see the new offense. Defensively, we should be very, very good, as we have great athletes at all three levels.. Our DL should be one of the best in the country.

In total, I think most of us are hoping for a 6-win season and a bowl game. A good season for a new staff to build on as we go through this transition.

There are 10, maybe 12 teams that get the focus and about 80% of the national media attention. Unfortunately, WVU is not one of them.

Can GY#up be hyper-critical; yes. Are the opinions frequently misguided; rarely. I'm not a fan, but to say all posts are negative is a stretch.

So GY#Up, say something positive about Mountaineer Football.
I didn't say they were negative, I said he never wants to give the program credit (when this topic comes up). And, actually is not critical just he never wants to give the program credit for its past success.

While I would give us the edge, the two programs are probably pretty darn close right now. If our defense gels, Skyler and company should put more than enough points on the board.

Given it's our home opener -

WVU 34
Missouri 20

If Missouri can score 20 then our defense has a serious problem.

If Missouri can score 20 then our defense has a serious problem.

As a Missourian, I tend to agree... at least if we're no better than last year.

Plenty of folks are hoping with almost a completely new offensive staff -- led by OC Josh Heupel -- and QB Drew Lock with an entire offseason, spring, and summer camp taking #1 reps, he'll be better.

Honestly, I think we HAVE to be better. We were second to last in terms of offense. Still, I'm not confident at all we'll be better enough YET to beat the likes of WV. You're catching us at the right time. ;)

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
As a Missourian, I tend to agree... at least if we're no better than last year.

Plenty of folks are hoping with almost a completely new offensive staff -- led by OC Josh Heupel -- and QB Drew Lock with an entire offseason, spring, and summer camp taking #1 reps, he'll be better.

Honestly, I think we HAVE to be better. We were second to last in terms of offense. Still, I'm not confident at all we'll be better enough YET to beat the likes of WV. You're catching us at the right time. ;)

"Right time" = 80% of the past 30 years.

"Right time" = 80% of the past 30 years.

To be fair, MU's program was pretty much dead from 1985 until Gary Pinkel showed up in 2001. Larry Smith had two solid years, including beating you guys in the '98 Insight Bowl.

Gary had a bunch of heavy lifting to do... Our facilities were a mess. Recruiting needed massive help, as MU had alienated recruiting hotbeds like St. Louis. So, it took him a few years to get rolling. But since 2003ish, MU has been a perennial Top 20 team. I don't think anyone considers anything less these days. But yeah, last year's team was rough... Gary had let the reigns slip from his hands a bit, but the dude is 64. It happens to the best of them.

Can't argue that they have gotten to the SEC championship game, but the problem is that everyone in that division hasn't been able to get out of their own way. That being said, the first of those two teams was pretty decent.

It was all about television sets and the potential eyes to watch them.

Reactions: DaHouse77
Can't argue that they have gotten to the SEC championship game, but the problem is that everyone in that division hasn't been able to get out of their own way. That being said, the first of those two teams was pretty decent.

It was all about television sets and the potential eyes to watch them.

Precisely. Conference expansion, at least at that moment, was about TV sets. That's how the network would generate money -- Missouri has 6+ million residents. Many of whom have cable. Thus, they can require those people who subscribe to ESPN programming to also pay more for the SEC Network.

We'll see how this model evolves as people continue to cut the cord. I'm guessing that program prestige will help at some juncture... because the conferences and networks will want the best games possible. We'll see... It hasn't mattered yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT