ADVERTISEMENT

MetroNews Story Concerning WVU Paying Players

dangerousdaneerfan

All-Conference
Aug 14, 2007
Sistersville, West Virginia

Shane Lyons continues to rearrange the deck chairs on the sinking ship known as WVU athletics. The only difference between he and Eddie Pastilong is Shane has more money to play with.

Sad that your regular students don’t have access to the facilities that your athletes do. Why pay “student athletes” to actually be students and pass their classes?
Iowa State is the only school that accrues their academic incentive and pays a lump sum if/when they graduate.

Why, because we have to stay competitive with other Power 5 schools.
My question was why did we wait until 20 other school had started doing it?

Everyone else is making boatloads off the student athletes. Why shouldnt the athletes themselves get some of the money?

Dont hear any whining when a coach, AD, school, conference or NCAA are raking in the money these athletes delivered, so what exactly is the problem? They have earned more than what they are getting - its not like they are getting a handout.

Everyone else is making boatloads off the student athletes. Why shouldnt the athletes themselves get some of the money?

Dont hear any whining when a coach, AD, school, conference or NCAA are raking in the money these athletes delivered, so what exactly is the problem? They have earned more than what they are getting - its not like they are getting a handout.
When you take gym 101, 201, etc you are getting a handout.

Reactions: Darth_VadEER

They already do get A LOT of money in the form of scholarships, housing, meals, health care, tutors, access to facilities, etc. If all they care about is money why even play the sport? 99% of student athletes aren't going pro because they aren't good enough, yet you think they deserve more pay? Go get a real job if you want paid and stop living in fantasy land.

They already do get A LOT of money in the form of scholarships, housing, meals, health care, tutors, access to facilities, etc. If all they care about is money why even play the sport? 99% of student athletes aren't going pro because they aren't good enough, yet you think they deserve more pay? Go get a real job if you want paid and stop living in fantasy land.
Football & men’s basketball are the money makers, but football basically funds the whole AD. Those kids playing football deserve everything they get from the school, and the other athletes should be grateful that the incentive is applied uniformly across the AD. It is a small budget number to potentially reward loyalty and kids who are committed to being student athletes.

Reactions: JWG66
Do you think we waited? Like every other state school we have a process we have to follow to spend money at a state entity.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
There are 20 schools currently paying scholarship athletes that perform academically. Welcome to the team.
Five of those schools are in the Big 12.

*(ESPN reports, “The oddly specific dollar amount ($5,980) was calculated during the legal proceedings (in the Alston case) because it is equal to the maximum amount of financial value an athlete can receive in one year from awards related to their athletic performance, such as conference player of the year or the Heisman Trophy.”)

The academic payments should not be confused with name, image and likeness opportunities where student athletes can market themselves and colleges or boosters can raise private dollars to entice and pay athletes. NIL has created a pay-to-play dynamic which is already having a dramatic impact on recruiting and transfers.

However, the academic payments are, in one way, more important. Most student athletes are not going to earn NIL money, but they are essentially “employees,” working hard and putting in countless hours.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Sad that your regular students don’t have access to the facilities that your athletes do. Why pay “student athletes” to actually be students and pass their classes?
Because the student athlete puts forth a hell of a lot of time, sweat, and risk of injury to help bring in tens of millions of dollars to the school. Hence, the U S Supreme Court unanimous NIL ruling. The scholarships for athletes also cost the school nothing, the athletic department must reimburse the school for their tuition. Of course that is not the case at Marshall.

Because the student athlete puts forth a hell of a lot of time, sweat, and risk of injury to help bring in tens of millions of dollars to the school. Hence, the U S Supreme Court unanimous NIL ruling. The scholarships for athletes also cost the school nothing, the athletic department must reimburse the school for their tuition. Of course that is not the case at Marshall.

LOL - then pay them for athletics.

Keeping a 2.0 with their course schedule is just an under the table pay off. Athletic Coaching 102, lol...its all fake.

You cant fail the classes...

Reactions: Rootmaster
Football & men’s basketball are the money makers, but football basically funds the whole AD. Those kids playing football deserve everything they get from the school, and the other athletes should be grateful that the incentive is applied uniformly across the AD. It is a small budget number to potentially reward loyalty and kids who are committed to being student athletes.

Then make them take real classes

Most college athletes earn less than they are getting.

These schools have built their brands over the last 100 years. The schools have negotiated the television rights and put the facilities in place to be successful. The schools are the foundation as players rotate through. The players are getting an education worth anywhere from $100 -$400K. I don’t have an issue with them getting some extra money, but the abuse is threatening to ruin CFB.

With the direction this is going, I see interest dropping off as the haves separate from the have nots. Folks will give up on the product because the NFL already exists, imo.

Because the new norm is to think following is now considerer leading from behind.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
These schools have built their brands over the last 100 years. The schools have negotiated the television rights and put the facilities in place to be successful. The schools are the foundation as players rotate through. The players are getting an education worth anywhere from $100 -$400K. I don’t have an issue with them getting some extra money, but the abuse is threatening to ruin CFB.

With the direction this is going, I see interest dropping off as the haves separate from the have nots. Folks will give up on the product because the NFL already exists, imo.
They issue is not really the NIL. The problem now is the free transfers. The NCAA cannot make kids stay at a school but they can limit eligibility to play sanctioned sports.

I think there are enough schools that want the current system blown up that they are letting this system kill itself off so they can form something more in their favor.

athletes don't get free health care..they have to have their own policy..in case of a catastrophic injury the NCAA will pay for expenses after 90k is reached

athletes don't get free health care..they have to have their own policy..in case of a catastrophic injury the NCAA will pay for expenses after 90k is reached
But students are allowed to be on their parents health insurance up to graduation I think.

Schollie cost a school NOTHING??? You have no clue.

Reactions: Rootmaster
All these social welfare justice pansies crying for these over hyped, under academic inclined ball bouncers are pathetic. Please let sanity end this by doing away with scholarships and returning school sports to true student athletes.

Schollie cost a school NOTHING??? You have no clue.
Allow me to give YOU a clue. Quotes from a 247 story by Chris Anderson regarding WVU athletic revenue and expenses for 2019.

"For the third year in a row, the athletic department did not take a single dollar from 'school funds.' "

Regarding Athletic Department expenses, "Scholarship expenses hung tight around $11 million, which they've done the last three years since 'full cost' measures went into place."

If the Athletic department covers the 'full cost' of an athlete's attendance that equates to the cost to the school being NOTHING.

Last edited:
Allow me to give YOU a clue. Quotes from a 247 story by Chris Anderson regarding WVU athletic revenue and expenses for 2019.

"For the third year in a row, the athletic department did not take a single dollar from 'school funds.' "

Regarding Athletic Department expenses, "Scholarship expenses hung tight around $11 million, which they've done the last three years since 'full cost' measures went into place."

If the Athletic department covers the 'full cost' of an athlete's attendance that equates to the cost to the school being NOTHING.
Good Lord are you turning dumb? Since when is the athletic department separate from the university? You're better just reading instead of posting.

Good Lord are you turning dumb? Since when is the athletic department separate from the university? You're better just reading instead of posting.
Since WVU is the only university in the state where the athletic department is required to be self sufficient. Think before you judge, it is unlikely you wear a black robe to work.

Thanks in great part to the approximately $102 million the football along with a couple of other sports generates through the efforts of the athletes, coaching staff, donors, ticket sales, conference payouts, tier 3, and retained advertising rights the cost of attendance for student/athletes does NOT come out of the university budget.

The athletic department is not a separate entity from the school, but the budgets are. If I am somehow not making this clear, there are sources you can research. It is really quite clear. Regardless of how much money the athletic department generates on its own, $11 million is paid to the school to cover the full cost of the student/athletes attending WVU.

Are your biased anti WVU sports postings corrupting your knowledge of simple economics? No offense intended, I don’t participate in pissing battles and name calling, but I do report those who do.

Since WVU is the only university in the state where the athletic department is required to be self sufficient. Think before you judge, it is unlikely you wear a black robe to work.

Thanks in great part to the approximately $102 million the football along with a couple of other sports generates through the efforts of the athletes, coaching staff, donors, ticket sales, conference payouts, tier 3, and retained advertising rights the cost of attendance for student/athletes does NOT come out of the university budget.

The athletic department is not a separate entity from the school, but the budgets are. If I am somehow not making this clear, there are sources you can research. It is really quite clear. Regardless of how much money the athletic department generates on its own, $11 million is paid to the school to cover the full cost of the student/athletes attending WVU.

Are your biased anti WVU sports postings corrupting your knowledge of simple economics? No offense intended, I don’t participate in pissing battles and name calling, but I do report those who do.
Stop while you are ahead. You're looking dumber by the post. All belongs to university. Lol. Did you ever go to a college/university?

Stop while you are ahead. You're looking dumber by the post. All belongs to university. Lol. Did you ever go to a college/university?
I certainly did and finished quite well. You obviously did not major in economics. Although the athletic department is absolutely a part of and an important representative of the school and its reputation, the budgets are separate. WVU's budget for 2021 was $4.495 billion and none of it went toward the athletic department's $102 million. Athletics at WVU are self-sufficient, period. I am quitting now while I'm ahead, WAY ahead.

I certainly did and finished quite well. You obviously did not major in economics. Although the athletic department is absolutely a part of and an important representative of the school and its reputation, the budgets are separate. WVU's budget for 2021 was $4.495 billion and none of it went toward the athletic department's $102 million. Athletics at WVU are self-sufficient, period. I am quitting now while I'm ahead, WAY ahead.
Budgets are one thing. University departments and property are another. So...let me say this slow so you don't strain yourself...WVU athletics are a part of WVU. Athletics are not a separate entity. WVU athletics would not exist without...wait for this...WVU.

Budgets are one thing. University departments and property are another. So...let me say this slow so you don't strain yourself...WVU athletics are a part of WVU. Athletics are not a separate entity. WVU athletics would not exist without...wait for this...WVU.
In this very narrow point you are absolutely right. But like about 25 other schools, athletics cost WVU nothing, zilch, nada. Many schools like Marshall on the other hand, cover the cost of student athletes.

The whole point is, WVU athletics are totally self sufficient. If all athletics at WVU ended tomorrow, the effect on the school's budget would be zero.

As far as your unjustifiable condescending remarks, I would put my writing, reasoning, and IQ up against yours any day. You have no idea what research means.

In this very narrow point you are absolutely right. But like about 25 other schools, athletics cost WVU nothing, zilch, nada. Many schools like Marshall on the other hand, cover the cost of student athletes.

The whole point is, WVU athletics are totally self sufficient. If all athletics at WVU ended tomorrow, the effect on the school's budget would be zero.

As far as your unjustifiable condescending remarks, I would put my writing, reasoning, and IQ up against yours any day. You have no idea what research means.
Money owed on all the over building of palatial jock strap buildings would still have to be paid as well as the "guaranteed" money to over hyped PE teachers would also be paid. Insurances etc. Bottom line...teachers would be cut and bs programs eliminated to stem the tide. For WVU and other perpetual under achiever schools disaster looms on the horizon.

As far as IQ goes you sure as hell don't demonstrate anything above a gerbil. Then again you do worship at the throne of Slobbering Joe and Cackling Cowmala.

are you the Michael Walker that writes for the Gold and Blue dude?

Money owed on all the over building of palatial jock strap buildings would still have to be paid as well as the "guaranteed" money to over hyped PE teachers would also be paid. Insurances etc. Bottom line...teachers would be cut and bs programs eliminated to stem the tide. For WVU and other perpetual under achiever schools disaster looms on the horizon.

As far as IQ goes you sure as hell don't demonstrate anything above a gerbil. Then again you do worship at the throne of Slobbering Joe and Cackling Cowmala.
You give the word 'dick' a bad name. You have no idea who or what I worship. As a matter of fact you don't seem to have many original or defensible ideas about anything. Time to block your dumbass.

Shane Lyons continues to rearrange the deck chairs on the sinking ship known as WVU athletics. The only difference between he and Eddie Pastilong is Shane has more money to play with.
Not unexpected.
The man appears too be way in over his head and refuses to understand and accept the obvious signs of drowning.

ADVERTISEMENT