ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Metal Detectors To Be Added to Athletic Venues

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics will introduce walk-through metal detectors at its major athletic venues this fall.

The new additions to the entrance gates expand on the University's campus safety procedures and will make their debut at the Aug. 31 football home opener against Penn State at Milan Puskar Stadium.

"Fan safety is paramount. Walk-through metal detectors will be an important addition to our events as professional venues and major college facilities have had great success with this safety enhancement," Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker said. "We have done our research, and modern technology enables us to add this extra level of safety with virtually no additional burden to our fans."

Fans will not have to empty their clear bags or pockets, and will not have to place cell phones, keys, money or other belongings to the side because the state-of-art metal detectors are designed to be completely pass through. The metal detector technology from CEIA OPENGATE provides automatic screening for fast and easy gate entrance flow. Only if a problem is detected, and the alarm sounds, will fans have to proceed to an additional area and be checked separately with a security wand.

With a sellout crowd and a FOX national television broadcast on hand for the home opener, fans are encouraged to enter the stadium early to get used to the new system and to expedite entry to the game. WVU's clear bag policy is still in effect and additional football game-day information will be updated weekly on WVUSports.com.

"Metal detectors will be new to our athletic venues, but they are not new to sporting events all around the country," Baker added. "I don't see walking through a metal detector as a burden, I see it as an important step to keep our fans safe. I applaud our campus leaders and campus security for helping us take this necessary step to keep our events safe."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News