ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

LHANDSDC

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2006
Maryland
I still think they would of made a great Big 12 addition. I know the word potential gets thrown around a lot, but they would of fit right in and would be better then Iowa St, Kansas, and Baylor (other than their scandal years) in football. Basketball would be solid.

I still think they would of made a great Big 12 addition. I know the word potential gets thrown around a lot, but they would of fit right in and would be better then Iowa St, Kansas, and Baylor (other than their scandal years) in football. Basketball would be solid.
You are correct. You don't have to have new teams as power teams. They will grow
in stature. Look at BIG adding Maryland and Rutgers. It loads the top of the league
with added W's. ACC has Syr and BC. SEC Vandy and Ken. Pac Col and Utah St.
I would also take CINN with Memphis and put in division with WV. Good locations
for travel and good BB. Don't want to put another FL team in power league, because
it would further eat up recruits.

Reactions: LHANDSDC
You are correct. You don't have to have new teams as power teams. They will grow
in stature. Look at BIG adding Maryland and Rutgers. It loads the top of the league
with added W's. ACC has Syr and BC. SEC Vandy and Ken. Pac Col and Utah St.
I would also take CINN with Memphis and put in division with WV. Good locations
for travel and good BB. Don't want to put another FL team in power league, because
it would further eat up recruits.
Hopefully the demise of cable will change how conferences are paid and formed/expanded.

If expansion were to take place, Memphis and Cincinnati would be just as attractive as Syracuse, pitt, Wake Forest, BC in the acc. The other P5 lower tier schools aren't any better than M & C either. But is expansion still necessary? With the addition of the CCG, we may be on equal footing in the P5. The PAC has been excluded twice and the Big once. Without championship playoff expansion, this may take care of itself over the long run. If the playoff is expanded, the P5 champions most likely will be included. In regards to basketball, the B12 is awesome and the best overall conference. Home and away every year! Why would we want to change that. Expansion for the sake of a cable network deal may be a dead issue. So 10 may be equal to or even better than 12, 14, or 16 in the foreseeable future.

Expansion may not be needed at all. I still would like someone within a short driving distance for selfish reasons.

The Big XII has bigger fish in the sea.
If you see Auburn move to the SEC East and Missouri move to the SEC West and the SEC HQ move to Atlanta then the Big XII might pull off the unimaginable feet that is to extract 4 schools from the SEC.

On the other hand the ACC if Carolina and Virginia decides to jump conferences will be where the Big XII expands.

This is why Big XII expansion was forgotten.
If the conference expands by adding AAC schools it will be two.

Tulane is the only for sure school.
The second school would be between :
Memphis
Colorado St
Cincinnati
USF
UCF

IF... IF Big 10 wants UVA and UNC, then everyone moves in for the karma kill (since ACC started this back in 2000'ish). But this is all off-season talk when we get bored.

UNC and UVA because of their past conferences would be tough for anyone to remove.
I think the ACC stays but if the ACC stays and the Big XII stays there is a chance that because of egos and politics the SEC gets spilt right down the middle with Bama being forced to go independent.

This is something that will be 10-15 down the road.
The SEC is a threat to the ACC as it is to the Big XII and how the SEC has handled business they have forced other conferences to adopt an us or you mindset.
Bama is hated as much in Charlottesville and Chapel Hill as they are in Norman and Austin.

Last edited:
UNC and UVA because of their past conferences would be tough for anyone to remove.
I think the ACC stays but if the ACC stays and the Big XII stays there is a chance that because of egos and politics the SEC gets spilt right down the middle with Bama being forced to go independent.

This is something that will is 10-15 down the road.
The SEC is a threat to the ACC as it is to the Big XII and how the SEC has handle business they have forced other conferences to adopt an us or you mindset.
Bama is hated as much in Charlottesville and Chapel Hill as they are in Norman and Austin.
You see the SEC breaking up? I really don't see that. I know Bama might get the side eye, but stability and $$$$$.

You see the SEC breaking up? I really don't see that. I know Bama might get the side eye, but stability and $$$$$.

Problem with that is ESPN wants the SEC HQ in Atlanta or even Nashville.
Bama and the some of the SEC schools do not want the SEC HQ out of Birmingham.
Bama might be biting the hand that feeds them if they do not allow ESPN to control and direct the conference for the future.
The next issue is the impeding Bama/UGA struggle for football supremacy.
If the SEC moves East then the West schools will begin to look West.

Most important thing is Bama's economy is not growing nor is the population booming.
Most of the Deep South was like Alabama 40 years ago but that is changing as Ole Miss is starting to change and look towards Texas like LSU and Louisiana.

You will see this in the next 10-15 years when Mississippi's economy begins to boom as well.

South Carolina and Georgia's economies are booming right now as well. South Carolina is becoming more like Virginia and North Carolina every day.

The issue is Tennessee and Kentucky...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT