ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Mazey talks 9th inning, Clark and West's performances after walk-off loss

"That was a big moment. We bunted those guys over, but they had run their relievers out there. The guy that was in there was the least famous of their bullpen arms. I like Chumley's chances and I like Hussey's chances of getting a single there."

The bunt was and always will be the correct call in that situation as it practically took GIDP off the table with 2 outs to spare. The fact that two of our better hitters couldn't get even a sacrifice fly out of one of the lesser UNC relievers shows WVU is either vastly outclassed by the Tarheels or our guys just couldn't make the critical play. I think the latter as I don't think our best hitters are that bad compared to UNC's lesser bullpen talent.

Last edited:
"That was a big moment. We bunted those guys over, but they had run their relievers out there. The guy that was in there was the least famous of their bullpen arms. I like Chumley's chances and I like Hussey's chances of getting a single there."

The bunt was and always will be the correct call in that situation as it practically took GIDP off the table with 2 outs to spare. The fact that two of our better hitters couldn't get even a sacrifice fly out of one of the lesser UNC relievers shows WVU is either vastly outclassed by the Tarheels or our guys just couldn't make the critical play. I think the latter as I don't think our best hitters are that bad compared to UNC's lesser bullpen talent.
We aren’t the offensive juggernaut that UNC is. We have swing a miss guys. Just last week in the regional West was benched after the first game because of that. Then he goes off last night. Chumley has been great. His strikeout was huge. Hussey’s AB wasn’t as shocking to me. He’s hitting in the .240s for a reason. Not meaning that to be a dog against him, just saying that his outcome wasn’t shocking.

But you have to tip your hat to the reliever. He came in throwing 95 and pounding the zone, which allowed for him to be able to use his changeup to get the hitters to chase.

The real question to me was pitching to Honeycutt in the 9th. When it went 3-0 I figured we’d just pitch around him. Then Major pumped a 94 mph fastball past him. I never felt easy about that matchup and felt we should have just put him on. But then the counter argument is that you don’t walk the potential winning run to scoring position. Difficult decision.

We aren’t the offensive juggernaut that UNC is. We have swing a miss guys. Just last week in the regional West was benched after the first game because of that. Then he goes off last night. Chumley has been great. His strikeout was huge. Hussey’s AB wasn’t as shocking to me. He’s hitting in the .240s for a reason. Not meaning that to be a dog against him, just saying that his outcome wasn’t shocking.

But you have to tip your hat to the reliever. He came in throwing 95 and pounding the zone, which allowed for him to be able to use his changeup to get the hitters to chase.

The real question to me was pitching to Honeycutt in the 9th. When it went 3-0 I figured we’d just pitch around him. Then Major pumped a 94 mph fastball past him. I never felt easy about that matchup and felt we should have just put him on. But then the counter argument is that you don’t walk the potential winning run to scoring position. Difficult decision.

I felt the game was lost at that point. Needed to have it won by the time our ace came out and when they tied it with no outs, I just knew our relievers wouldn't keep UNC from winning it even if the game goes to extra innings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT