ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Cavanaugh

apeters95

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2005
Homosassa, FL
Just saw that Matt Cavanaugh is being nominated for the Collge Football HOF. It made me remember a cool autumn October afternoon in 1975 when young Matt took his first start as a Pitt Panther in 1975. Little did he know what was in store for him. WVU defensive coordinator Chuck Klausing , D- Line Coach George Henshaw and Secondary Gerg Williams had devised a scheme to take away his favorite play and make him run the ball. The tactic that fateful day in Mountaineer history was to deny Tony Dorsett the pitch on their effective option play and make Cavanaugh carry the ball.

Some Safety and future Atlanta Falcon Tom Pridemore took his head off every time he tried to gain a yard. The year was 1975 and yes Bill McKenzie had the faithful play to seal the victory. But there is so much behind the story that makes it all the better.

1. Bowden's birthday
2. Clandestine signal stealing of Pitt's offensive signals
3. ABC National TV
4. Pitt's last loss before they reeled off 12 games combined in 75 and 76 to win the National Champoinship
5. My cousin Paul Martha, Pitt All American and Pittsburh Steeler sitting with his brother Richie Martha great WVU DB watching his Panthers lose
6. My last home game as a Mountaineer
7. The win that earned us the Peach Bowl and a victory over Lou Holtz, Bill Cowher and NC St.

So with the game on the line young Matt thinks 4th down is 3rd down with less than a minute to play and tries to run a play. Jackie Sherrill is forced to run on the field with Majors right beck to call the timeout that allows WVU to have enough time to pull it out. Pass to Tommy Bowden, pass to Randy Swinson and there you have it walk off victory over my hometown Pitt Panters. Allowed me to hold my head up high for many years and still today over the most despicable college team in the USA.

So thanks Matt for being and idiot.

Andy forgot to mention (in his post) the fact that it was yours truly's first Pitt game and that I was sufficiently shit-faced in the student section (as a freshman). I steadfastly maintain that my amped up antics nudged the Mountaineers over the edge.

Just saw that Matt Cavanaugh is being nominated for the Collge Football HOF. It made me remember a cool autumn October afternoon in 1975 when young Matt took his first start as a Pitt Panther in 1975. Little did he know what was in store for him. WVU defensive coordinator Chuck Klausing , D- Line Coach George Henshaw and Secondary Gerg Williams had devised a scheme to take away his favorite play and make him run the ball. The tactic that fateful day in Mountaineer history was to deny Tony Dorsett the pitch on their effective option play and make Cavanaugh carry the ball.

Some Safety and future Atlanta Falcon Tom Pridemore took his head off every time he tried to gain a yard. The year was 1975 and yes Bill McKenzie had the faithful play to seal the victory. But there is so much behind the story that makes it all the better.

1. Bowden's birthday
2. Clandestine signal stealing of Pitt's offensive signals
3. ABC National TV
4. Pitt's last loss before they reeled off 12 games combined in 75 and 76 to win the National Champoinship
5. My cousin Paul Martha, Pitt All American and Pittsburh Steeler sitting with his brother Richie Martha great WVU DB watching his Panthers lose
6. My last home game as a Mountaineer
7. The win that earned us the Peach Bowl and a victory over Lou Holtz, Bill Cowher and NC St.

So with the game on the line young Matt thinks 4th down is 3rd down with less than a minute to play and tries to run a play. Jackie Sherrill is forced to run on the field with Majors right beck to call the timeout that allows WVU to have enough time to pull it out. Pass to Tommy Bowden, pass to Randy Swinson and there you have it walk off victory over my hometown Pitt Panters. Allowed me to hold my head up high for many years and still today over the most despicable college team in the USA.

So thanks Matt for being and idiot.

Hey there Peters. I remember watching that game and then interviewing Bill for a story I did for the DA. I don't suppose you have a tape of that game by the way? Anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT