ADVERTISEMENT

Massive downsizing of tv contracts coming...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
if fall football is postponed with short schedules until spring 2021. Whispers in inner circles of media are heating up. Bottom line P5 schools could be heading for huge funding problems.

if fall football is postponed with short schedules until spring 2021. Whispers in inner circles of media are heating up. Bottom line P5 schools could be heading for huge funding problems.

I read that Stanford had plans to axe a lot of red from their athletic department prior to C-19 so this just gives them another reason to do so, albeit a very convenient one. Saw where their endowment is around 27b so if they wanted to float these sports for a year, seems they could easily do so. Even after the cuts, I think they will still be at 25 varsity sports which is 8 more than WVU offers scholarships for. We never got that bloated because we got into a well paid conference late in the game and have been playing catch up with facilities, coaches salaries, etc. However, probably better that way as the ones who have been hooked on this tv revenue dope have spent themselves into a very precarious situation.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I read that Stanford had plans to axe a lot of red from their athletic department prior to C-19 so this just gives them another reason to do so, albeit a very convenient one. Saw where their endowment is around 27b so if they wanted to float these sports for a year, seems they could easily do so. Even after the cuts, I think they will still be at 25 varsity sports which is 8 more than WVU offers scholarships for. We never got that bloated because we got into a well paid conference late in the game and have been playing catch up with facilities, coaches salaries, etc. However, probably better that way as the ones who have been hooked on this tv revenue dope have spent themselves into a very precarious situation.

But G5 schools benefit from that P5 revenue

Those matchups against P5 schools are funding their entire athletic program.

Everyone will be hit but these hits won't change the balance of power.

The balance of power has already been determined.

ADVERTISEMENT